• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

HG/SS houses in FR/LG style

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
Ya, I'm making these tiles for a rom hack. Basically I don't like how the Kanto in HG/SS looks nothing like the Kanto in FR/LG, so my idea is to make a rom hack where you get to play through the R/G/B/FR/LG storyline, but with the HG/SS Kanto. It kinda failed, since everything seemed way too big. Basically, I was trying to use "flattened" 3D models, aka, pre-rendered graphics in a GBA rom hack. It was ugly, since everything seemed to big. But now I've come up with a new idea, which is making the HG/SS house designs in FR/LG style. I think it's the best idea I've ever had.

newfrlgbuildingshgsssty.png

*Some buildings will be exactly the same as FR/LG, since HG/SS borrowed some designs from it
*Ignore the HG/SS house towards the bottom, I haven't finished all of Vermilion's buildings

Anyone can use these, credit is appreciated.

Last edited:

Conan Edogawa

One Truth Prevails
Years
I really like these, but the Pewter City house isn't shaded properly as said above me. Since the roof is completely flat the shingles should be the same tone throughout, if that makes sense to you.

s_a_l_poke

n00b = g00d
Years
Since the roof is completely flat the shingles should be the same tone throughout, if that makes sense to you.

Exactly, that's what I was trying to say. It should look more like:

╱╱╱╱◣
╱╱╱╱▇◣
╱╱╱▇▇◣
╱╱╱╱▇▇▇◣

than

╱╱╱╱╲
╱╱╱╱╲╲
◢╱╱╲╲◣

Sorry if that makes absolutely no sense!
◢▇╱╱╲╲▇◣

Weatherman Kiyoshi

~Having one of THOSE days
Years
I'm really liking the work you put into these-
I might consiter using one of these at some point.

But great job!

But I have to agree with what is said abouve, as much as I love that house, it's too.... awkwardly shaped.

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
I knew something didn't seem right about the Pewter house...

But here, I think it looks much better now:
newfrlgbuildingshgssstyg.png

EDIT: The thing I'm unsatisfied with is the red Pallet Town house. Any ideas on how I can improve the roof?

Last edited:

lx_theo

Game Developer
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 2, 2013
EDIT: The thing I'm unsatisfied with is the red Pallet Town house. Any ideas on how I can improve the roof?

Well it seems a bit wide in comparison to its height, maybe a few pixels shorter on each side or a few taller would help.

MiniM00se

Toad in a stroller
Years
fad80344.jpg

The green line should be parralel to the blue line.
And for the stuff boxed in pink, the pattern should be even. You went 1, 1, 1, 2, 1, 1, 1, 2.
It should be 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1. (That didn't make any sense, did it...)

sab

Now too much of a life.
Years
these look great! I've been searching a long time for nintendo styled custom sprites, but all I could find was fanking omega's sheet... until now! once aghain thanks for making the tiles. The shading seems pretty good and most of them will fit nicely in a gba game. the only exceptions are the pewter city (which looks really flat to me for some reason) regular house and the pallet town regular house (which, as was previously stated, has the wrong dimesions so things look a little funky), so all in all great job!

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
Fixed Pallet Town house, finished Vermilion City buildings, started on Lavender Town.

Also I didn't make the imaginary green line parallel to the imaginary blue line because that's now how the building was on Bulbapedia's map.

D. Lawride

Audi Famam Illius, Scriptor!
Years
Whoa, that's quite an accurate job at doing them in a generation PRIOR to the one they were actually done in.

Still, maybe the Viridian City roofs should be slightly longer vertically. At least the houses with doors, the one without them is looking great!

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
The New Ones look Good
Can't Wait to see how you deal with the radio tower?

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
The New Ones look Good
Can't Wait to see how you deal with the radio tower?
Well, since these tiles are for a hack, and my hack will take place 3 years before HG/SS, there will be no need for a radio tower, since 3 years before HG/SS, the radio tower was called, "Pokemon Tower" and was simply a haunted place.

Hence why I didn't make a trainer house for Viridian City.

Weatherman Kiyoshi

Years
The Pallet House looks like it's very squished together, like how the windows are unaligned.

And the roof over dominates it. :/

The Pewter house still looks nice, but, the roof is overdominating there, too.

Years
The Pallet House looks like it's very squished together, like how the windows are unaligned.

The Pewter house still looks nice, but, the roof is overdominating there, too.

I think that the roof's domination helps create the illusion of 3Dyness.

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023

The windows are unaligned in HG/SS, so I copied it. Can't really do much about the roof, though. It's final.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years
I think to get the "feel" of FR/LG, you should try using the FRLG palettes, like for the Viridian house. Looks a bit strange, y'know?

I'm diggin' the Vermillion house though, looks awesome. It's got the FRLG palette colours, so it looks more FRLG styled, yes?

Weatherman Kiyoshi

Years
Despite the domination of the roof (Which is acceptable, it's only kinda meh),
The windows make the house feel unreal.

And the picture you probably based it off of was a picture of the house at an angle near the side. In the actual frontness of the house.

It looks like it's squished notheless, but, do what you wanna do.

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
I think to get the "feel" of FR/LG, you should try using the FRLG palettes, like for the Viridian house. Looks a bit strange, y'know?
I AM using FR/LG palettes. Why do you think the title of this thread says, "FR/LG style"?

EDIT: Oh, and here's some Celadon City:

Bleh... didn't turn out that great.

And the picture you probably based it off of was a picture of the house at an angle near the side. In the actual frontness of the house.
Actually, I based it off the map it shows on Bulbapedia, which was taken using the ActionReplay code to "flatten".

Last edited:
Back