• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Which starter did you choose?

Years
  • Seen May 8, 2011
Squirtle in Blue, Bulbasaur in LeafGreen and Mudkip in Sapphire. I've never picked a fire type for some reason. Perhaps on my next playthrough.

Dark Piplup

This user title is original
Years
My first time playing a hoenn game (ruby) I chose Mudkip because I loved it and its evos. But I sold that and in my new Emerald I chose Treecko cause I wanted something fresh and I hate Blaziken. In Firered i chose Charmander. Its always been one of my fav pokemon.

Punnagg

Advanced Spriter
Years
I always use water type starters.
Gold:- Totodile
Emerald:- Mudkip
Fire Red:- Sqirtle

FlameChocobo

Warrior of Hoenn
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 27, 2016
Torchic on Ruby Version
Mudkip on Sapphire Version
Bulbasaur on Leaf Green Version
and Treeko on Emerald Version

Never got around with Fire Red.

Years
  • Seen Feb 27, 2012
I always choose the fire or leaf types because the fire is good at the start since you usually start out by a forest, and the leaf types because they learn good moves for making it easier to capture guys, poison powder, sleep powder etc.

~Anbuja

Let's Keep It Simple
Years
always mudkip!!!!!
i love it!!!!
then after i beat the game 2 times i reseted it and chosed another starter just have em and know they mnoveset:D

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 15, 2011
In my first third generation file, which happens to be my Ruby version, I chose Torchic. I don't quite know for what reason I selected Torchic, perhaps because it looked more adorable than the other starters.

Equinoxe

pleeease listen to meee
Years
  • Age 31
  • ~
  • Seen Dec 4, 2016
On my first playthrough of Ruby, I chose Torchic and even now it's still my favourite of the bunch (and Blaziken is one of my all-time favourites). I'm not sure if I ever trained a Treecko despite my numerous re-plays of the games O_o
Always just Torchic or Mudkip or non-starters.

Fire Walker

The Wanderer
Years
pkfrlg001.png
and
pkrs004.gif
were mine. I remember when you had to battle Gary before you got to Victory Road and I always kept using Frenzy Plant on his Charizard. That battle took forever.

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
Years
  • Age 28
  • UK
  • Seen Mar 25, 2024
always mudkip!!!!!
i love it!!!!
then after i beat the game 2 times i reseted it and chosed another starter just have em and know they mnoveset:D

So...I herd you liek mudkipz

When I first got Sapphire, I chose mudkip.
In another Sapphire file, I chose Treeko, but I ended up restarting for some reason.
I chose Torchic when i got Ruby.

I chose Blastoise in Frlg (both versions.)
I eventually ended up choosing Charmander and Bulbasaur in different FireRed files.

cbd98

A bouquet of oopsie dasies
Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2021
i picked bulbasaur in my first run of FR, because it was good at the first 2 gyms.
in sapphire, i picked treeko because i loved fast pokemon.
in emerald, i picked torchic because i love blaiziken!!

Psyshock

Psychic Type Master
Years
I can't remember Ruby and Sapphire but I know I picked Treeko the first time I played through Emerald. In Fire Red I got Squirtle and Leaf Green I picked Charmander.

Clairissa

Shining brilliantly!
Years
For the Hoenn games I used Torchic... I love Blaziken, first fighting type I ever used really.
For the Kanto games, Charmander all the way, gotta hardmode Brock and Misty.

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
Years
torchick, because i have mentioned before, and maybe in this thread too, the fire startes is usually the best !!

Back