• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Good Poke's for Rain Team? (Doubles)

GlakeGG

The Phantom Prince
Years
Hey all.

So I've been out of the competitive PKM scene for sometime now, but I'm looking to hop back into things with this years VGC Season. I've got a Premier Challenge coming up this Sunday, quite soon, but I'd like to throw something together before then.

In the past I was interested in rain teams, dabbled with that a little bit, but not much. But basically I'm wondering if anyone could fill me in as to if rain teams are still viable in doubles in this meta? And if so, what are some good Poke choices for a rain team? Would love some insight and or ideas. ^^

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
I'm not much of a doubles expert, but I could see Politoed, Rain Dance Thundurus and (Primal) Kyogre as good choices on a Rain team. Primal Kyogre in particular is useful because it counters Primal Groudons harsh sunlight, while also providing an immunity to fire moves to the team when out. That gives you good support for Pokemon with a big Fire weakness like Scizor, Ferrothorn and Mega Mawile.

In general with legendaries being legal in VGC'16, you'll probably run into a lot of Primal Kyogre/Groudon teams.

GlakeGG

The Phantom Prince
Years
I'm not much of a doubles expert, but I could see Politoed, Rain Dance Thundurus and (Primal) Kyogre as good choices on a Rain team. Primal Kyogre in particular is useful because it counters Primal Groudons harsh sunlight, while also providing an immunity to fire moves to the team when out. That gives you good support for Pokemon with a big Fire weakness like Scizor, Ferrothorn and Mega Mawile.

In general with legendaries being legal in VGC'16, you'll probably run into a lot of Primal Kyogre/Groudon teams.

Hmm, pretty solid insight, thanks for that!

Yeah I think I'll definitely have to test out some stuff with primal Kyogre. Now I just need to decide if I want to lean more towards an aggro built rain team, or more defensive.

Sayuri

人生忘れられた
Years
Here's an example of a rain core with Mawile (inspired by Scar's team; in theory it looks good, but I don't know how good it actually would be in battle):
Spoiler:

Tornadus is a great partner for Kyogre on a dedicated (or even non-dedicated) rain team, as its Role Play allows it to copy Kyogre's Primordial Sea and set up rain again even after Groudon or Mega Rayquaza are sent out. Tailwind also allows it to sweep more effectively when not under Trick Room.
Rain teams are definitely very viable this year and, honestly, I prefer them over sun teams.
As mentioned before, Pokemon like Scizor, Ferrothorn, and Mawile can work especially well under rain. Politoed and Rain Dance Thundurus, though, aren't the best choices. I recommend reading up on the Primals' (and Ray-M's) weather mechanics to see why.

Last edited:
Back