• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Johto or Sinnoh?

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Oct 11, 2012
To me, Johto felt like a unified nation, whose geographical changes felt organic and whose landscape felt kind of natural. Sinnoh - though still a fine region in comparison to Unova/Hoenn - felt a bit more like a mishmash of ideas clumped together with little-to-no thought as to how they'd look together.

That was another thing about Sinnoh I disliked. Like you said, it didn't feel natural and lacked variety in most of their towns/cities. I was extremely disappointed that half the region wasn't covered in snow and that there should have been more ice pokemon to reflect that since one of Platinum's selling points was about about how much colder the region was. Being known as the "winter region" would have really helped it stand out on its own when compared to Kanto's "Basic region", Johto's "Modern-Fuedal region", Hoenn's "Summer-Tropical region", and Unova's "Futuristic region".

I also hated having to back track so much(this was the only region where I really need Fly). I also forgot to mention how that other than Cyrus and Cynthia's battle music and the Legendary battle music; Sinnoh has the worst music. I had to play on mute 90% of the time.

Years
Wel, what were exactly question we talking about in this thread? Is it the route, location, Map, or its Pokèmon? I love Johto because it maps and location was so natural. But for its Pokèmon..... as you can see, Johto's Pokèmon are get inspired from pre-evolved Kanto's Pokèmon like Pikachu, Clefairy and Jigglpuff. Meanwhile, for Sinnoh.... I will say this Pokèmon's region are amazingly strong and cool. No wonder Me and others member have their favorite Pokèmon mostly in generation IV :3

Years
  • Age 34
  • UK
  • Seen Jan 29, 2013
But Sinnoh had more evolutions/pre-evolutions of past Pokémon than Johto surely... I count 16 introduced in Generation II (excluding the two Eeveelutions, since there are also two of those from Gen. IV) and 27 introduced in Generation IV. Granted some of those are for the same Pokémon (Magmar, Electabuzz etc.), but still.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
That was another thing about Sinnoh I disliked. Like you said, it didn't feel natural and lacked variety in most of their towns/cities. I was extremely disappointed that half the region wasn't covered in snow and that there should have been more ice pokemon to reflect that since one of Platinum's selling points was about about how much colder the region was. Being known as the "winter region" would have really helped it stand out on its own when compared to Kanto's "Basic region", Johto's "Modern-Fuedal region", Hoenn's "Summer-Tropical region", and Unova's "Futuristic region".

I also hated having to back track so much(this was the only region where I really need Fly). I also forgot to mention how that other than Cyrus and Cynthia's battle music and the Legendary battle music; Sinnoh has the worst music. I had to play on mute 90% of the time.
I can see the pattern now, and now that you mention it, it really would have been nice if Sinnoh was a bit more colder to follow your predicted theme. And if I can recall directly the protagonists do in fact have gear/clothes suitable for chilly climates. So perhaps Sinnoh was based around having a cold climate, but maybe it just wasn't incorporated enough throughout the regions design to exemplify this?

Wel, what were exactly question we talking about in this thread? Is it the route, location, Map, or its Pokèmon? I love Johto because it maps and location was so natural. But for its Pokèmon..... as you can see, Johto's Pokèmon are get inspired from pre-evolved Kanto's Pokèmon like Pikachu, Clefairy and Jigglpuff. Meanwhile, for Sinnoh.... I will say this Pokèmon's region are amazingly strong and cool. No wonder Me and others member have their favorite Pokèmon mostly in generation IV :3
The discussions around comparing the two regions generally. All up which did you prefer? Why?, etc.

BiGoDeViN28

Psalm 141:3
Years
  • Age 28
  • USA
  • Seen May 26, 2013
I also forgot to mention how that other than Cyrus and Cynthia's battle music and the Legendary battle music; Sinnoh has the worst music. I had to play on mute 90% of the time.

WAT?!?!1one!1???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2DSdeFZ69M

Sinnoh had AMAZING music! :(

Seriously, though, Sinnoh had good music. I, personally, don't hate any Gen's/Region's music but Sinnoh had really good music. 3rd or 2nd best, IMO.
Johto's music was good, but Sinnoh had fresh music. It had this french overtone to it. It was calm and relaxing. I really enjoyed it.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Sinnoh Sinnoh Sinnoh, 1000x Sinnoh! Sinnoh's the best region overall, there's so much great stuff there :D It has all the best Pokémon, interesting places to explore like Mt Coronet and the snowy mountains, the lakes are very interesting, the whole map is completely varied with almost every route, and it really just feels like home playing in Sinnoh. There's so much interesting stuff to do and unique features in Sinnoh that it's a really wonderful region and I've played it countless times ♥

Rainbow Arcanine

now known as aslan
Years
Why would you ask me to make these decisions :O?

Er...right back to topic. After the world's longest thinking I've decided on the calm,cool Sinnoh. Not just to the fact it was technically my first region but the scenery is great. Windworks to power the region, factories, old untouched caves, more shops it just seemed more like a better region.

The music was pretty amazing too - Cynthia's theme,Cyrus's, your rival's. And I liked the characters better in Sinnoh honestly. Sinnoh also introduced some of the most badass and awesome Pokemon ever. Honchkrow,Togekiss,the cute but powerful Pachirisu and many more :3.

But don't get me wrong, Johto is awesome and all but I'd say my heart lies with Sinnoh.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
Johto! I love the pokemon, and nostalgia definitely plays a big factor with me. I loved GSC so much. Theres also a lot to do in Johto!

LividZephyr

Oxymoron, not a moron, thanks
Years
Let's go over all of these little details.

Layout: Sinnoh > Johto
Sinnoh has a more explorative layout, and its unique settings make for interesting adventures. Johto's is too straightforward, and most of the routes are too short and uneventful.

Atmosphere: Johto > Sinnoh
Like has been said, Johto has a consistent atmosphere and a very natural feel, and the game progression makes sense. Sinnoh has a bunch of things tacked together at points and is a really diverse region to the point that you sometimes question if you're in the same area.

Dungeons: Johto > Sinnoh
If only because Rocket Hideout (in Mahogany) >>> Galactic HQ and Goldenrod >>> Mt. Coronet. Mt. Coronet is awful solely because of the high encounter rate that still spawns frequently even with a Repel. Most of Sinnoh's dungeons were too short, while Johto had two long ones and the Ruins of Alph to anchor it.

Cities: Johto > Sinnoh
There's more to do in Johto. Radio Tower, the Kimono Girls, Olivine Lighthouse, and a lot of interesting places that are in cities.

Gym Leaders: Johto >>>>> Sinnoh
Really now. Johto has some boring folks, but it also has Whitney, whose Miltank gave us all problems when we were kids, the aggressive badass Chuck, the sweet, innocent, yet shy girl-next-door in Jasmine, and the really temperamental Clair. Sinnoh's Gym Leaders, for the most part, were completely devoid of interesting personalities; Fantina was easily the most memorable, although she is French, and Crasher Wake had good design. Overall, though, the rest of them paled in comparison to the titans Johto offered us.

Enemies: Johto > Sinnoh
Team Rocket is the same in all of the games in Johto, and they got it right the first time. In D/P, the random Galacticas have no clue what's going on and that's hilarious, but by the time you've beaten them all, you still wonder that too. It was seriously that boring. Platinum fixed this and added a more intriguing plot, but it was not enough to make it better than Johto. It may be nostalgia for me, too, though.

Additional characters: Sinnoh > Johto
Johto doesn't have Looker. Johto has Silver and Lance. That's it. Sinnoh has Looker, Cynthia, a guest appearance by Jasmine, Barry (who is no Silver but is a decent rival), and the stat trainers.

Pokemon: Johto = Sinnoh
There were some really good Pokemon in both, and some really bad Pokemon in both. Both introduced a few too many pre-evolutions, and that was not necessary in the slightest. Both also had some really great things to offer team-wise, so in the end it's way too close to call.

In the end... Johto! Sinnoh is still great, and nostalgia may have something to do with my decision. I just feel that Johto really set the bar high.

Hannah

beep bop boop
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Nov 16, 2021
I absolutely prefer Sinnoh. I love all the fourth generation Pokemon, especially the anime. Dawn is my second favorite character, next to Homika. Plus, Sinnoh has that charm that made me like Pokemon in the first place. When Ash was still in Kanto, Johto and Hoenn, I didn't even know who Pikachu was. Well, I think I've made my point.

Back