• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kearnseyboy6

Aussie's Toughest Mudder
Years
  • Seen Jun 22, 2019
So I wont need something like custom ASM, custom special or anything like he said?

Actually if you want the screen to freeze you need these specials.

camera control commands
111 elevator scene + small animation
113 freeze screen, but only on scripts, not on signposts or people. Call again to unfreeze
114 unfreeze screen\camera. Works on all surfaces
11F returns to a variable the facing you had when activating the event

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
What do you mean by these?

If Flags 0x84A and 0x84B are cleared, the Vermilion City dockworker won't even bother checking for the MysticTicket and AuroraTicket, respectively. You won't be able to use them. I don't know what sets or clears these flags.

It means that if those flags are not set, the Vermilian sailer script won't branch off and check if you have the items.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 24, 2023
Actually if you want the screen to freeze you need these specials.

camera control commands
111 elevator scene + small animation
113 freeze screen, but only on scripts, not on signposts or people. Call again to unfreeze
114 unfreeze screen\camera. Works on all surfaces
11F returns to a variable the facing you had when activating the event

Are those custom specials that Chaos Rush added to the specials table or are they built in-game?

Zemekis

The Booze Cruise
Years
Hi everyone, I already asked this over in the Script Help thread, but I figure this might be simple enough for someone to help me here as well. I just need this one last thing to work before I can start my romhack in full.

Can anybody tell me why my Script Event tile isn't running (see attached image), I've read all the threads I can find about Var numbers, Values, Unknown, and flags, but I still can't get it to run when I step on it. Either nothing happens or the game freezes. Could somebody give me the proper values to put in my Var fields and Unknown field to get this thing running when I step on it? Spent 8+ hours on this tile already and it's no good so far.

Thanks!!!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 24, 2023
Hi everyone, I already asked this over in the Script Help thread, but I figure this might be simple enough for someone to help me here as well. I just need this one last thing to work before I can start my romhack in full.

Can anybody tell me why my Script Event tile isn't running (see attached image), I've read all the threads I can find about Var numbers, Values, Unknown, and flags, but I still can't get it to run when I step on it. Either nothing happens or the game freezes. Could somebody give me the proper values to put in my Var fields and Unknown field to get this thing running when I step on it? Spent 8+ hours on this tile already and it's no good so far.

Thanks!!!

Please for the love of humanity, use the search bar. Hahah joking! Go here!

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=302347

Zemekis

The Booze Cruise
Years
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 24, 2023
I've read that at least 5 times already, I just need somebody to tell me directly how to do it once and then i'll be able to do it myself in the future.

Okay. So ummm.... Maybe you were just reading it and NOT understanding it.

Well here.

I'll explain.

Spoiler:

Simpler Words:

Create a Script Tile Event.
Assign a script to it by putting the offset of your script in the "Script Offset".
Fill out the "Unknown" Box with 0003.
Fill out the "Var Number" Box with 4050.
Save.
Test it.
It works now doesn't it?

Note: Nobody would've read that 5 times and yet not understand it. (Well, unless you don't know how to read English well, know English grammar well, don't know some spelling etc.)

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Dec 5, 2023
Putting this here again, with elaboration.
I have a new error arising in my hack - I removed the truck animation at the beginning of Emerald, but now when I warp out of the truck (or any starting map), the rom's framerate is severely decreased. Text runs normally, but walking and background animations are something like quarter speed.

Trying to locate the source of the problem so far has been erratic and fruitless; putting any sort of level script in the warped-to map seems to fix the problem on a given map, but as soon as I enter a map which has no level scripts again, everything slows down. My previous emerald hacking never had this problem.
Thoughts?

Zemekis

The Booze Cruise
Years
Simpler Words:

Assign a script to it by putting the offset of your script in the "Script Offset".
Save.
Test it.
It works now doesn't it?

Note: Nobody would've read that 5 times and yet not understand it. (Well, unless you don't know how to read, grammar, spelling etc.)

Nah, I swear I read it 5 times. The issue was I just wasn't understanding it with it all drawn out like that. Yepp, It worked the way you said. What was confusing me was how it said the "var number and var value must match for the script to run"...so I would try to put 4050 in BOTH the value and number fields, ya know, to make them match. Idk how that made sense to everybody but me after so many hours...but yes, that DID work for me and I owe you big time. I apologize for absolutely dropping the ball on this one, but i've got it now and will get out of your hair now. Again, I swear I read it over and over...that one part just tripped me up.

kearnseyboy6

Aussie's Toughest Mudder
Years
  • Seen Jun 22, 2019
Okay. So ummm.... Maybe you were just reading it and NOT understanding it.

Well here.

I'll explain.

Simpler Words:

Save.
Test it.
It works now doesn't it?

Note: Nobody would've read that 5 times and yet not understand it. (Well, unless you don't know how to read, grammar, spelling etc.)

Firstly, no need to offend his grammar, reading and spelling skills. It's just plain rude.

Secondly if you looked at his attachment, the picture looks perfect. The error lies within the script or variable.

Thirdly Unknown does not have to be set as 03, this is a convention used by gamefreak and does can be left as 00 00.

@Zemekis, try a new variable, you may have used this before. In Karatekid552's tut the variable 0x4050 is used,

4050 Unknown or multi-use.
Set to 0x1 after the "Don't go out yet!" OAK Script event.
Set to 0x2 during the Hall of Fame room level script, if the National Dex is NOT already unlocked.
Set to 0x3 after OAK's chat with the player in PALLET TOWN after beating the E4.

As you can see if you have activated the first script in PALLET TOWN, the variable would have set to 1.

I would look at the vars in this tut and try one that hasn't been used. Try 4027, I am using this variable in my hack and this works.

Zemekis

The Booze Cruise
Years
Firstly, no need to offend his grammar, reading and spelling skills. It's just plain rude.

Secondly if you looked at his attachment, the picture looks perfect. The error lies within the script or variable.

Thirdly Unknown does not have to be set as 03, this is a convention used by gamefreak and does can be left as 00 00.

@Zemekis, try a new variable, you may have used this before. In Karatekid552's tut the variable 0x4050 is used,

4050 Unknown or multi-use.
Set to 0x1 after the "Don't go out yet!" OAK Script event.
Set to 0x2 during the Hall of Fame room level script, if the National Dex is NOT already unlocked.
Set to 0x3 after OAK's chat with the player in PALLET TOWN after beating the E4.

As you can see if you have activated the first script in PALLET TOWN, the variable would have set to 1.

I would look at the vars in this tut and try one that hasn't been used. Try 4027, I am using this variable in my hack and this works.

Thanks Kearnsey,
Yeah, that was a kinda rough way for him to answer my honest question, but he DID at least provide me with an answer so i've gotta give him credit for that.

Your answer worked as well, so thanks for your input! Again, the wording in the tutorial just flew right over my head somehow and i'm sorry if my question was silly but i'm a total beginner with this stuff.

Years
  • Seen Sep 11, 2013
It means that if those flags are not set, the Vermilian sailer script won't branch off and check if you have the items.
So it'd be

#include stditems.rbh

'---------------
#org 0x900000
lock
faceplayer
checkflag 0x084A
if 0x1 goto 0x8900029
msgbox 0x890004E MSG_YESNO '"Take this, you'll need it more\nth..."
compare LASTRESULT 0x1
if 0x1 goto 0x8900034
msgbox 0x8900077 MSG_NORMAL '"That's okay. I'm sure someone\nels..."
release
end

'---------------
#org 0x900029
msgbox 0x89000AB MSG_NORMAL '"Adios amigos."
release
end

'---------------
#org 0x900034
giveitem ITEM_MYSTICTICKET 0x1 MSG_OBTAIN
setflag 0x084A
release
end

and then same for the other just 084B?

kearnseyboy6

Aussie's Toughest Mudder
Years
  • Seen Jun 22, 2019
Thanks Kearnsey,
Yeah, that was a kinda rough way for him to answer my honest question, but he DID at least provide me with an answer so i've gotta give him credit for that.

Your answer worked as well, so thanks for your input! Again, the wording in the tutorial just flew right over my head somehow and i'm sorry if my question was silly but i'm a total beginner with this stuff.

No worries and unless you plan on using Jambo's patch to extend variables, you can have over 65,000 events off that 1 script tile, assuming these events only ever occur once. So if you plan carefully you wont used all the variable :D

My advice is keep the post by DavidJJCobb, and carefully decide which vars and flags you want to use.

karatekid552

Years
So it'd be

#include stditems.rbh

'---------------
#org 0x900000
lock
faceplayer
checkflag 0x084A
if 0x1 goto 0x8900029
msgbox 0x890004E MSG_YESNO '"Take this, you'll need it more\nth..."
compare LASTRESULT 0x1
if 0x1 goto 0x8900034
msgbox 0x8900077 MSG_NORMAL '"That's okay. I'm sure someone\nels..."
release
end

'---------------
#org 0x900029
release
end

'---------------
#org 0x900034
giveitem ITEM_MYSTICTICKET 0x1 MSG_OBTAIN
setflag 0x084A
release
end

and then same for the other just 084B?

Pretty much. Give it a try.

No worries and unless you plan on using Jambo's patch to extend variables, you can have over 65,000 events off that 1 script tile, assuming these events only ever occur once. So if you plan carefully you wont used all the variable :D

My advice is keep the post by DavidJJCobb, and carefully decide which vars and flags you want to use.

For this whole argument, the var must be set to the value. As in, in a previous script:

setvar [var] [value]

This will do the trick. If the script appears right at the beginning of the game, then you won't need this because the var will already equal zero.

Robin22gongon: you have not earned the right to be curt with people yet, nor was Zemekis being rude. He was honestly trying to understand. Remember, you asked which vars were safe and how to use script tiles 3 times and I answered you everytime without being rude, and then you still kind of screwed up. Stop telling people to use var 0x4050. It is used by other scripts! Tell them to use 0x408F -> 0x40FF. Those are guarenteed to be safe.

Kearnsyboy6: thank you for explaining.

Putting this here again, with elaboration.

I honestly have no clue man. Except that it may be your emulator. I have found that mobile emulators often lag while playing the new gen III games and only run RS well. What exactly are you playing on?

Last edited:

blue

gucci
Years
Just tryna figure out how to fix this problem;

foqa2u.png

Basically I want to insert HGSS sprites into my Emerald hack which is already complete, the sprites can be inserted via an IPS Patch. Now when I use a Clean Emerald ROM and Patch it with the HGSS Patch, it's fine but then I add the Expert Emerald Patch and things become messy, a minor amount of sprites become corrupt and occasionally trainer matches will not start. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Or is it impossible to Patch an already patched Emerald Rom once again?

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
Years
Patches overwrite data if used together so basically you should use one.
or do as you said but repoint some broken images to new free space and you should be good.

Years
  • Seen Dec 5, 2023
I honestly have no clue man. Except that it may be your emulator. I have found that mobile emulators often lag while playing the new gen III games and only run RS well. What exactly are you playing on?

Visual Boy Advance on PC.
Were it the emulator, it's being oddly specific. It runs standard Gen III ROMs fine, and all other hacks I've tried so far. And it only affects overworld framerate; the rest of the game (battle animations, title/intro) works fine.

On a possibly related issue, does anyone know why one of the level scripts in the Moving Truck uses cmda6 0x5? I know that it's related to tile behavior, like the breaking tiles or ice tiles, but unless its somehow related to the initial animation, its presence baffles me.

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
Years
the truck sets the map tiles but using this command never works alone unless forced to. in fr there is a special, but in ruby maybe this does it for you.

karatekid552

Years
Visual Boy Advance on PC.
Were it the emulator, it's being oddly specific. It runs standard Gen III ROMs fine, and all other hacks I've tried so far. And it only affects overworld framerate; the rest of the game (battle animations, title/intro) works fine.

On a possibly related issue, does anyone know why one of the level scripts in the Moving Truck uses cmda6 0x5? I know that it's related to tile behavior, like the breaking tiles or ice tiles, but unless its somehow related to the initial animation, its presence baffles me.

It may initiate the truck animation (though most likely no). I think it helps the truck animation in some way. I have actually heard problems about Truck Remover with Emerald (none with RS though), so this may be the case. Have you tried changing the start map via SMCA to another location? Maybe it is the truck itself becuase the ASM as been removed (well, not removed, but nop'ed).

Just tryna figure out how to fix this problem;

foqa2u.png

Basically I want to insert HGSS sprites into my Emerald hack which is already complete, the sprites can be inserted via an IPS Patch. Now when I use a Clean Emerald ROM and Patch it with the HGSS Patch, it's fine but then I add the Expert Emerald Patch and things become messy, a minor amount of sprites become corrupt and occasionally trainer matches will not start. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Or is it impossible to Patch an already patched Emerald Rom once again?

Insert the sprites found in Chaos Rush's DS Styled Pokemon Resource into the game via Wichu's Advanced Sprite Editors. The patch you are talking about probably overwrites the data in the location that you inserted your sprite to. Don't use patches in such a fashion as they overwrite the data at their destined location no matter what. Even if something already exists there. Use tools instead to insert them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back