• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Boring Battles

Years
  • Seen Dec 14, 2016
I just had another battle involving a substitute user. Naturally, I had a team who is powerless against sub users. I could have just forfeited the match, but I felt a little "trolly" myself. So I played the battle, but I did not attack his Pokémon at all. I just switched over and over and over and over while waiting until the last 5 seconds to input the command. It took him about 15 turns (Almost 20 minutes) to realize that he was being trolled. He got so mad, that he forfeited the match.

I was expecting him to just mysteriously "Disconnect", but he forfeited. I know it's not the most honorable win, but according to the rules this still counts as a win for me. I know it's cheap, I know it's douchie, but I don't care. Sub users are just as cheap IMO, and I do not believe in the idea that I am required to carry Pokémon I do not like just so I can win. If stalling is a legit battle strategy, being a douche to the stallers should be one too. I know no one will agree with me, but I still win.

Years
I was in a Random Battle once recently where I was up against someone in the first round of a tourney where he used a Sigilyph that spammed Cosmic Power (getting to +3 Defense/Sp. Defense) along with Roost spamming and burning me my Psycho Shifting his Flame Orb to me, so my attacks did very minimal damage to it while it wasted my HP away.

You could just tell it was asking me for me to ragequit because the only thing that I was able to break it with was a critical hit but sadly the luck god decided to troll me and therefore I never got the crit I desperately needed. I had no choice but to forfeit, eliminating me from the tournament. Kinda sucked that my team had no Taunters so I couldn't cripple his strategy.

Sigilyph may look awesome, but they're definitely not fun to battle against. Just as annoying competitively as they are in-game.

DracoLatch

http://www.pokecommunity.com/s
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Dec 1, 2022
I never feel like I lost or that other stuff, but when I use my blissey I am willing to use soft boiled untill their pokemon have to use Struggle XD But hey, a win is a win- regardless of how you have to get it; meaning if it will take over 2 hours that's just what's necessary.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 19, 2017
I am actually a big fan of stall and find it rather enjoyable to be able to out predict my opponent and slowly wear down their team rather than just straight up attacking.

I will say that the worse battles I have ever had though have been against other stall teams. Have had several battles last well over 150 turns and one to even hit 205 O-o

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
I've had some pretty boring battles with my stall team back when I played stall. The worst games were when the opponent realized that they couldn't straight up attack me and win, so they would try to out-stall me. The problem with that was that the opponent's team was never a stall team, so the fact that they tried to do a strategy that their team simply wasn't meant to do drew the battle out way longer than it needed to be. I still won, as I went undefeated with my stall team, but it was a victory that wasn't so sweet.

I also find the battles where the opponent quits right away to be boring. Yeah, they're incredibly short, and therefore not really boring, but they just aren't fun, you know?

Years
  • Seen Dec 14, 2016
So, for all the stall players. Is there any way to make stall battles a bit more fun? hitting a steel wall with a feather duster is obviously no fun, so how do non-stallers entertain themselves while beating on a wall for 50 turns?

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
I'm not familiar with the current derivative of stall being used, but back when I did employ a stalling strategy, wallbreakers were very annoying, amongst other things. However, the fact something is threatening my team is the entire reason why I have a team. It seems that battlers nowadays prefer a single Pokemon to do everything that, otherwise, a team could do exponentially better.

How to make battling against stall "fun"? Make a team and utilize their strengths and weaknesses to the best of your abilities. Additionally, some teams are inherently weak to stall so avoid using if you're facing stall. Don't keep hitting a wall with something that cannot break a wall, otherwise you're just begging to lose.

Back