• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How does everyone play?

Years
  • Seen Jul 29, 2016
Do you guys play on your actual Ds/gameboys or on emulators mainly? I'm considering doing a couple challanges and I want to know the best way to present it to the forums.

Kitrigar

Butt Puncher
Years
I normally play on my handheld because it's easier to play on-the-go and there's no sitting around on the computer.
If you're looking to do challenges, I highly recommend using an emulator. It's faster and you can screen cap your progress without having to type too much.
And (Absol FTW!) ;)

Years
  • Seen Jul 29, 2016
I normally play on my handheld because it's easier to play on-the-go and there's no sitting around on the computer.
If you're looking to do challenges, I highly recommend using an emulator. It's faster and you can screen cap your progress without having to type too much.
And (Absol FTW!) ;)

I figured that was the way to go. I've just had some bad experiences with them. :( I can never find a good working one. And yes Absol ftw favorite pokemon since i first tried him :)

Kitrigar

Butt Puncher
Years
I figured that was the way to go. I've just had some bad experiences with them. :( I can never find a good working one. And yes Absol ftw favorite pokemon since i first tried him :)

The best working emulators that most people use are VBA and DeSMUME.
They've never failed me.
But if you're having problems, it could be a bad ROM.

Gyardosamped

entering snake habitat
Years
I play the main games (created by Nintendo) on my handhelds, and if I'm ever in the mood to play a hack, I'll play it on an emulator.

I assume that you're interested in filming some videos of you battling? In that case, I suggest playing the game on an emulator for quality purposes. If not, you would have to be recording yourself holding your handheld and the quality/sound/everything probably wouldn't be that great. xD

blue

gucci
Years
If I'm doing a challenge it's usually on an Emulator, although I'm doing a Wedlocke challenge on my Heart Gold which is on my DS Lite. In any other case I use my DS/3DS.

Years
I used to play mainly on my DS
Diamond (13 Pokemons left before I caught them all) so can't quit just yet
quited Platinum after the E4 (I was to far with Diamond to continue
Heartgold mainly battle frontier
and with White I only do online battles with a team that fails

But since my DS is broken I hadn't had the chance to play B2
Now once I'm bored I play some GBC/GBA Pokemon games on my phone(Mainly hacks)

4th-5th gen Challenges I use Desmume I think it's better then VBA overal only on both Emulator 5th gen games seem to lagg at times thats why I fastforward "Cheat" those..

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
I'm not really too fond of emulators. I prefer doing my challenges on my FireRed cartridge and then when I'm done with the challenge, transfer my Pokemon from that game to either my Heart Gold or Diamond version.

Seth Rollins

Holding on to You |-/
Years
  • Age 22
  • Nah
  • Seen Feb 28, 2017
The best working emulators that most people use are VBA and DeSMUME.
They've never failed me.
But if you're having problems, it could be a bad ROM.

Tbh, DeSMUME works only to strong computer such as Mac...etc. If your using a computer, like a laptop DeSMUME's going to be sooooooooooooooooooooooo slow and lags every time. I use DeSMUME, only for you to know. Anyways, I play mainly on DS, I use Emulators to games that aren't in sale anymore, very old games I mean or some new games to play directly. I play Black and White 2 on the Emulator, you know?

Years
  • Seen Jul 29, 2016
Any idea why the emulators run really slowly and lag a lot? Trust me my computer has the specs, I dont get it.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
I starting to get out of Emulators and playing on an actual console I have both Nintendo DS Lite and a Nintendo 3DS XL. I'm saving cash to buy a Game Boy Advanced. I use my 3DS XL the most.

I only use VBA to play ROM that other have made.

Years
I mainly play my 4th and 5th Gen games on my DS Lite right now, but I might start using my 3DS XL when X & Y come out.

I don't use emulators, I only play legit copies of the game.

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
Years
Oh man, this is a really fun question.

I have an Acekard and an inferior different type of flash card with a GBC emulator on it. The Acekard has White on it, the other one has Blue and Crystal. I have an actual copy of Pearl (which I play more than anything else) and Sapphire (which I play on my older DS), but I tend to use VBA on my computer for 3rd gen games because I like random encounter mods. So technically I play most via DS, but they're emulated.

Caelus

Gone
Years
  • Seen May 26, 2013
I lost my DS and I haven't been able to find it since I came back from Europe (About a year and a half), so If I ever have an urge to get pack to playing Pokemon again I just use an emulator.

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
Years
It depends on what version I want to play.

I'll play on GBA player if it is an GBA one
I'll play on emulater if it is an GB/GBC one
I'll play on an DS if it is an DS one.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
The DS ones on my 3DS, the older ones in my GB. I have no GBA, so I have to use an emulator for that.

Back