• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

So... What languages do you know?

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
English is the only language I can speak fluently. :(

I can speak decent French, but I don't get any practise with it so I never get a chance to hone my skills. I could get by in it no problem, I'm sure, and once I do start speaking it, I pick it back up fairly quickly, but I'm far from fluent. I can read/write it much better than I speak it though.

I also know rudimentary Japanese. I can't speak it well at ALL because I don't know enough vocab but I can get by if I'm listening to it (or reading it if I have a kanji dictionary on hand).

That's all though. I'd love to learn Chinese (Mandarin, specifically) but it looks terrifying, haha. German is also crawling up my list because a lot of my friends are learning it but that's really the only interest I have in it. D: There are a few others but I'll stop there.

emoBill™

† мазохист †
Years
That's all though. I'd love to learn Chinese (Mandarin, specifically) but it looks terrifying, haha. German is also crawling up my list because a lot of my friends are learning it but that's really the only interest I have in it. D: There are a few others but I'll stop there.
They taught Mandarin at my old school. I was surprised because there were a lot of people who actually took it ._.
I wouldn't try it. Too many letters and such D:

German is easier to learn than English.
English has a lot of slang, specifically American English.
I just learned the word "reckon" xD

Years
  • Seen Mar 15, 2010
They taught Mandarin at my old school. I was surprised because there were a lot of people who actually took it ._.

God yes! Same thing if you're from the South and you hear northern English.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years

The part that terrifies me about learning Mandarin is actually just the pronunciation and actual speaking of it. I had a friend who accidentally signed up for Mandarin classes instead of Japanese back when we took extra language classes in high school on Saturdays and he dropped it really quickly because of how difficult it was. D: The characters I'd probably be pretty okay with--apparently a lot of them have similar or identical meanings to the Japanese ones.

I learnt English just by growing up so luckily I never really had to deal with having to learn it as a second language... so I really have no idea how hard it would be to learn German in comparison with it. XD; Even so, the language has really never interested me. I'm more interested in the fact that I might have people to practise it with, be it via IM or otherwise. But I don't think it's enough to sway me into learning it. Oh well.

Kon~

Follow your dream to the end ~
Years
Je parle un peu de francais, pero me gusta el espanol tambien, and I love writing multilingual sentences.

leviverrin said:
God yes! Same thing if you're from the South and you hear northern English.

That's because england has the most varied accents for its size, or something. You can literally go about 50 miles in any direction and find a different accent (might be exaggering, who knows. I went two miles north of where I live, in the centre of a town, and found a whole different county.)

Ineffable~

DAT SNARKITUDE
Years
Omg. I'm only fluent in English. ;_;
I'm taking Spanish and I'm in my second year (my school ftl since I could be in my fourth year right now otherwise). Also taking two more years of Spanish and starting French next year before college. My school only offers those two languages, and French for the last two years only. D:

I...tend to start learning languages independently, but then just slough them off because I'm lazy. x_x;

I'm also learning Esperanto right now and I really love it. I think it's a beautiful language, and I think I may become fluent quickly unlike everything else.
Also, I learn some German phrases and words from a friend of mine. xD And I know the regular present-tense indicative verb conjugation for French and German, and the verb forms of Japanese, and kana, but then again my kana knowledge sucks since I'm always forgetting them. But since I don't plan to do anything with Japanese or German yet (German maybe, actually...), I'm just leaving it alone for now.
Yes, the second character is Greek, hence the 'theta'. I find it a really interesting character. I love the way it looks. But actually the one I posted isn't Greek, it's a math symbol...or something. I think it's, like, null set or something. But it's very close to the theta sign. The theta sign is a 0 slashed and I don't like it as much as a circle slashed.
θθθθθθθθθθθθθθθθθθθθθθθθθθθθθθθθθθθθθθθθθθθθθθθθθθθθθθθθθθθθθ
Ø is used in Danish, Norwegian, and Faroese. :3

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
Years
I'm 90.5% sure I'm the only one on these forums who can speak diojiu semi-fluently. That's a Chinese dialect if anyone's wondering. By default I know a teeny bit of Mandarin, I know how to write a teeny bit too. Not enough to function, however. I also know a teeny bit of Japanese and I can read and write hiragana and katakana semi-fluently...although I won't understand what I'm reading or writing. =/

I quit taking Japanese because if I were to continue taking it, I'd be pushing my graduation date back by another year and well, it's not worth it. Eventually I want to continue learning it, if only so I can watch Xenosaga: A Missing Year without moaning and groaning about no one willing to translate the story. :(

emoBill™

† мазохист †
Years
Why did this get moved? D:
It's not a voting poll.
It's asking what languages we speak.
If we listed the languages as poll options there'd be a million of them.
._.

Gunn

horror resident
Years
Ø is used in Danish, Norwegian, and Faroese. :3

HEY. I learned something today, hur. I've only seen that slashed O used in Danish before and that's why I got into the language (before I lost interest...). I think it looks cool. o: After my whole Danish phase, I started preferring European languages over others around the world.

The part that terrifies me about learning Mandarin is actually just the pronunciation and actual speaking of it.

Chinese even LOOKS hard. The characters look pretty complex to me compared to other Asian languages. I recognize Korean because of the little circles I seen written in it sometimes. XD

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024
This has grown to become quite a discussion. I'm going to be moving it to Other Chat where it belongs now!

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
Years
I can only speak English fluently, though I can usually get the gist of some French when it's spoken slowly or when it's written. But even that's a stretch at times...

That's nine years of French for you.[/size
]

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
Years
I've been learning Spanish at high school for a year and a half (and a few weeks) now, plus a few basic lessons at middle school. My teacher then didn't have any clue, though. Hopeless all round, but especially at Spanish.

I'd also like to learn Japanese, but for now it's limited to a few greetings, honorifics and some basic courtesies.

Idiot!

One shot, one kill.
Years
  • Seen Mar 17, 2011
Language #0: English. That's for sure.

Language #1. Not telling
Language #2. Not telling either.
Language #3. Also not telling.

Kon~

Follow your dream to the end ~
Years
Oh, and I also speak a little Seagull.

Forgot to mention that earlier.

Yes. I can command seagulls. And they usually comply.

And, of course, I neglected the power and made one poop on an ex-friend's head. Or maybe that was just an elaborate coincidence. We may never know.

... and you'll all think I'm joking with this. But I'm not. Or am I?
(but I'm not. Or am I? No. Or...?)

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Nov 17, 2023
i know a little bit of english, spanish, and tagalog. im more fluent in spanish though. english is my main language :D

Back