• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Gust

lord_hardware

Lord Hardware
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 6, 2016
Love the subversive humour. Would love to see a few more new sprites and tiles but i love the firered tiles anyhow so sod off to me :P

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Mar 25, 2024
i wish there was more questions for you to humorously answer to lol...

but seriously this looks like it can make it. you got my support :D

Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2011
dude..its not working on my visual gameboy

yo why isn't it working i downloaded the demo is there something else i need to play this game ??

Kaith

Hacker of Fire
Years
I just finished playing through and I really liked it and hope you continue unlike the guy who made white (old) version.

I've got a small bug report for you.
When I renamed my Bulbasuar to Suar after getting it, the spirte was an egg, not Bulbasuar, and after I named it, it's name went back to Bulbasur, not Suar like I wanted.

The very first guy (not the trainer) inside the first gym says that Flying and Water type pokemon are good against Rock types.

When using Cut, the trainer reverts to the original sprite.

Only about 50% of the trainers actually come and battle you when you walk in front of them.

Also, a little suggestion. Lower the levels of the trainer pokemon on route 52. They matched the last gym leader's pokemon, and the leader is supposed to be a challange, and the pokemon that follow should be about the same level as the gym trainers, not the gym leaders.

Truality

Left for good
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen May 17, 2013
Thank you SO much for the review.
I just finished playing through and I really liked it and hope you continue unlike the guy who made white (old) version.
Yeah I hope so, too.

I've got a small bug report for you.
When I renamed my Bulbasuar to Suar after getting it, the spirte was an egg, not Bulbasuar, and after I named it, it's name went back to Bulbasur, not Suar like I wanted.
That's weird, the script seems fine. Can you do me a favor and try again up to this point and tell me if it keeps happening?

The very first guy (not the trainer) inside the first gym says that Flying and Water type pokemon are good against Rock types.
Crap, I forgot to change the values. My bad, thank you and fixed!

When using Cut, the trainer reverts to the original sprite.
What exactly do you mean?

Only about 50% of the trainers actually come and battle you when you walk in front of them.
It's intentional in some trainers, but I went through most of them and you're right, I didn't set a radius to all of the ones I wanted to. Fixed!

Also, a little suggestion. Lower the levels of the trainer pokemon on route 52. They matched the last gym leader's pokemon, and the leader is supposed to be a challange, and the pokemon that follow should be about the same level as the gym trainers, not the gym leaders.
I've thought about that. However, I played through the game and they weren't tough to beat, especially considering how some of them have only one pokemon.

Once again, thank you very much!

Last edited:

Kaith

Hacker of Fire
Years
That's weird, the script seems fine. Can you do me a favor and try again up to this point and tell me if it keeps happening?

I played through it again, and this time when I tried to nickname it, I ended up nicknaming my Farfetched instead. It even asked if I wanted to nickname the Bulbasuar I just got. The difference was last time, I had a few Pokemon caught and in my party, while this play-through, Farfetched was the only Pokemon I had when I received Bulbasuar. Maybe the easiest way to fix this problem is to put the name rater in Visade city, not give the player a chance to nickname the Bulbasuar, and have Professer Roy mention the name rater instead.

What exactly do you mean?

What I mean is, when I used Cut in the field, my character's look momentarily turned back into the original character. Check the attachment for a picture about what I mean.

Also, I didn't say this in the first post but I think it's cool that there are some Pokemon you really have to search for. I remember I ran into a Nidoran(M) and accidentally killed it, so I ran around for about 15 minutes trying to find it again (since I really like Nidoking) when I realized that when you get an updated version of this past the second city, I'd have to restart and I'd lose the Nidoran anyways. XD I felt stupid.

Truality

Left for good
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen May 17, 2013
I played through it again, and this time when I tried to nickname it, I ended up nicknaming my Farfetched instead. It even asked if I wanted to nickname the Bulbasuar I just got. The difference was last time, I had a few Pokemon caught and in my party, while this play-through, Farfetched was the only Pokemon I had when I received Bulbasuar. Maybe the easiest way to fix this problem is to put the name rater in Visade city, not give the player a chance to nickname the Bulbasuar, and have Professer Roy mention the name rater instead.
Actually that's a no-good. I'll try to search it thoroughly, it has to be something I don't see in the script... so does it nickname the first pokemon in your party at the time? (or the last one) Thanks again.

What I mean is, when I used Cut in the field, my character's look momentarily turned back into the original character. Check the attachment for a picture about what I mean.
Oh! Well that's natural. I haven't changed those OWs. D:

Also, I didn't say this in the first post but I think it's cool that there are some Pokemon you really have to search for. I remember I ran into a Nidoran(M) and accidentally killed it, so I ran around for about 15 minutes trying to find it again (since I really like Nidoking) when I realized that when you get an updated version of this past the second city, I'd have to restart and I'd lose the Nidoran anyways. XD I felt stupid.
Thanks for the feedback. Every route will feature such a 'rare' pokemon. Sometimes even in the water, too.

Years
In the middle of playing this hack, and I must say, it's looking good. Really looking forward to you finishing this (tbh in the feature section you made the hack sound dull, but it was the complete opposite xD)

Anyway, I want to report some very very minor bugs, unfortunately I need 15 posts to post pictures/links, so yeah.

One of the signs on Route 51 says "Route 53 Indigo Town - Bandreach City" when it's supposed to be Route 51.

The bug catcher on the north-west side of Route 52 says "I like bugs, so I'm going back to VIRIDIAN FOREST." if you talk to him after you defeat him.

EDIT: COOLTRAINER LESLIE on Route 52(West side right above the left ledge) has a Level 12 Spinda with Smog and smokescreen.

Last edited:

Truality

Left for good
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen May 17, 2013
In the middle of playing this hack, and I must say, it's looking good. Really looking forward to you finishing this (tbh in the feature section you made the hack sound dull, but it was the complete opposite xD)

Anyway, I want to report some very very minor bugs, unfortunately I need 15 posts to post pictures/links, so yeah.

One of the signs on Route 51 says "Route 53 Indigo Town - Bandreach City" when it's supposed to be Route 51.

The bug catcher on the north-west side of Route 52 says "I like bugs, so I'm going back to VIRIDIAN FOREST." if you talk to him after you defeat him.

EDIT: COOLTRAINER LESLIE on Route 52(West side right above the left ledge) has a Level 12 Spinda with Smog and smokescreen.
Thank you very much, everything mentioned is fixed.

I finished mapping for the alpha, and I'm facing various issues for now. I'll give you a good visual update as long as I'm done implementing a certain feature.

Stay tuned!

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
Nice work on the hack man. When I was playing through the demo, I found a few bugs/ oddities that need to be looked after.

crashay.png

When I entered my rival's house I found him in his bed with no script attached to him. As such, when I tried to speak with him the game froze and I had to start over ;_;

treact.png

This guy doesn't speak/ move when you talk to him.

pokeballtrade.png

Self explanatory; a Pokeball wants to trade with me :P

pcmusic.png

After the Jigglypuff sings its song, the music changes to the PC theme, rather than the town's default music.

spaceyf.png
space2o.png

You accidentally added an extra space in both of these NPC's text. You don't even have to repoint to change this.

walkthroughwalls.png

If you are on either side of the door and walk down you can get here. Movement permissions and all that jazz.

wutu.png

I was surprised when I found this, but even more surprised to see that there was another hidden item exactly like it on the the same map through A-Map (bottom right corner).

I also encountered the Spinda with Koffing's moveset and experienced difficulty naming my Bulbasaur like other people who have posted in this thread but didn't feel like I had to take any pictures since you're aware of them :D

Overall, I think Gust is an interesting game. You are definitely succeeding in trying to emulate Gamefreak's mapping style, but I feel that there are too many unnecessary one-tile paths for it to be a true representation. I'll be watching and waiting for more to come in the future even though you said you don't want to show any screenies ;_;.

Facelift

Years
  • Seen May 20, 2012
Haha

I'll be waiting for a final release, mostly because of the mapping and your humor.
:)

Years
I better wait for the alpha by judging from all the features and you're good sense of humor I will like this hack and will be impatient to wait for more and it will kill me if I can't so good luck!!

P.S old skool Fire Red tiles ftw . Are you going to insert new music? cuz I heard the Fire red music to much xD

Ettadara

Fanfiction Writer
Years
Enjoying the hack so far - it's interesting. But the loyal, perfectionist gamer in me isn't terribly happy with the removal of my choice in starters. Don't feel offended, though, I'm never really happy when something that's never changed... is. It's not you, don't worry.

And, while I do feel the need to point out several aforementioned glitches; such as Bulbasaur's sprite being an egg when you're nicknaming it, and the same nickname sequence not working properly - I look forward to the next update. This hack has potential, I think. :D

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Dec 8, 2023
Just played through your demo CJ, and I have to say, I did enjoy it. Mapping is very nice, and your scripting and story is quite neat as well. Good work.

donquixote123456

Hacker on the go
Years
Hmmm seems good to me... Guess you've got the spark that many professional scripters have lost..... no offence to anyone though ........ great work .... keep it up!!!

Truality

Left for good
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen May 17, 2013
Nice work on the hack man. When I was playing through the demo, I found a few bugs/ oddities that need to be looked after.

-When I entered my rival's house I found him in his bed with no script attached to him. As such, when I tried to speak with him the game froze and I had to start over ;_;
-This guy doesn't speak/ move when you talk to him.
-Self explanatory; a Pokeball wants to trade with me :P
Going to remove the images for less quote space. What we have here is either bad patching or patching to a different rom; it happened to Bela and I don't know who else, if any of you comes across these bugs then it's a patching/rom problem. I can't do anything about it since these don't happen to everyone.

After the Jigglypuff sings its song, the music changes to the PC theme, rather than the town's default music.
Argh, that Jigglypuff got to me! It won't be a Jigglypuff in the alpha, but thanks for pointing it out anyway.

You accidentally added an extra space in both of these NPC's text. You don't even have to repoint to change this.
Fixed, thank you!

If you are on either side of the door and walk down you can get here. Movement permissions and all that jazz.
All that jazz got reported already.

I was surprised when I found this, but even more surprised to see that there was another hidden item exactly like it on the the same map through A-Map (bottom right corner).
Crap, I forgot to set the items here. Yeah I used an '???' and I was planning on replacing it with other items right before release. Thanks, they're normal items now.

There are also a few more stationed throughout the game.

I also encountered the Spinda with Koffing's moveset and experienced difficulty naming my Bulbasaur like other people who have posted in this thread but didn't feel like I had to take any pictures since you're aware of them :D
Since it's an AT thing and not a bug, you'll encounter it, yeah. But as you know, it's reported. I'll update the first thread with known bugs.

Overall, I think Gust is an interesting game. You are definitely succeeding in trying to emulate Gamefreak's mapping style, but I feel that there are too many unnecessary one-tile paths for it to be a true representation. I'll be watching and waiting for more to come in the future even though you said you don't want to show any screenies ;_;.
Yeah, my style is working in the shadows and *BANG* coming up with a new release out of the blue. Thank you for your cc!

I'll be waiting for a final release, mostly because of the mapping and your humor.
:)
I didn't know that humor would contribute as a factor in any way, but thank you. I will not let you wait in vain.

I better wait for the alpha by judging from all the features and you're good sense of humor I will like this hack and will be impatient to wait for more and it will kill me if I can't so good luck!!

P.S old skool Fire Red tiles ftw . Are you going to insert new music? cuz I heard the Fire red music to much xD
I am planning to insert music and some tiles right after I finish all the main scripting. Scripting is top priority for me. Thank you for your kind words.

Enjoying the hack so far - it's interesting. But the loyal, perfectionist gamer in me isn't terribly happy with the removal of my choice in starters.

Don't feel offended, though, I'm never really happy when something that's never changed... is. It's not you, don't worry.
Don't worry, you'll get all 3 starters eventually. This is a 386 hack.

And, while I do feel the need to point out several aforementioned glitches; such as Bulbasaur's sprite being an egg when you're nicknaming it, and the same nickname sequence not working properly - I look forward to the next update. This hack has potential, I think. :D
It seems like I can't get around fixing that naming bug yet, but I promise that in the alpha it will be either fixed or not there at all.

Just played through your demo CJ, and I have to say, I did enjoy it. Mapping is very nice, and your scripting and story is quite neat as well. Good work.
Thank you Ray, I'm really happy that you enjoyed it!

Hmmm seems good to me... Guess you've got the spark that many professional scripters have lost..... no offence to anyone though ........ great work .... keep it up!!!
Thank you, I feel flattered but my scripting skills are just enough to get me around the corner; I'm happy about it, though!

---

So, as DrFuji already knows, I am reporting progress but I'm not showing any here. The 5-gym-long alpha will be out in February, but I'm not promising anything yet. Some time after New Year's I'll give you the visual update you've been looking for, though!

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
One little bug I noticed on my playthrough (well, now as my playthrough was a while ago). Talking to the postbox nearest to the southern exit of the starter town (I think the rivals postbox) makes a character spawn on the southern exit when he shouldn't be there, and talking to him freezes the game. I'll upload a screenshot if you don't know what I mean.

Back