• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Roleplay Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
Years
Yeah. ^_^; Hopefully we'll see an increase in more creative ways of prolonging cool fight scenes, such as using attacks to cancel eachother out or actually using cover of some sort. |3 (Though, realistically speaking small scale fights really shouldn't last long at all unless the combatants are more or less running/hiding from eachother.)

miltankRancher

Mega Ampharos is the one.
Years
Yeah. ^_^; Hopefully we'll see an increase in more creative ways of prolonging cool fight scenes, such as using attacks to cancel eachother out or actually using cover of some sort. |3 (Though, realistically speaking small scale fights really shouldn't last long at all unless the combatants are more or less running/hiding from eachother.)

I've only started Rp'ing, but was reading some of them. And yeah, most battles are long and very dragging.

Years
@Yellow: Lovely guide it was. I totally concurred with everything you wrote(except that my anti-spelling/typo errors senses have to kick in xP).
URGH!! WHY HAS NO ONE HERE PLAYED BW?! GRAAAAAAA!! *Rips out hair*
I have, in different ways. ;P

Okay so I'll be putting my 2 cents. Firstly I think the tournament idea is too cliche because I've been seeing many of it(many to make me personally hate them XD). And if we're going with the notion of using items as plot foundations, I have to say that is rather cliche and much like the games themselves, but I'm fine with it unless something more creative pops out. Also I think in terms of creativity, we should all move away from the common legendaries and revolve plots around the lesser-used deities. E.g. The Aegis, Eon duo, Lake guardians(on second thought the Red Chain event is in the game already :|), Lunar duo(I think its getting cliche but let's hear some opinions ;3), Sea guardians(Bit hard tho), Heatran(probably something global warming related xd), Kyurem(I actually have ideas but only skins :>), Meloetta(I have an idea but not the Journey type :/) and Genesect. Talking about this, maybe Sinnoh could be themed on Shaymin. I'm sure a certain mod would like that. XP

Whoever suggested the Battle Frontier thing(edit: Fuyu, you rock!), I actually really like that. It would work excellently with Hoenn, perhaps a much different and changed Battle Frontier with more unique frontier themes. However change the term "brains" to something else. I absolutely dislike that term, Frontier Brains, that's the only thing I have against the makers of Hoenn. XD;;

Last edited:

Wymsical

V.S. The Wymsical Champion
Years
@Everyone: I WON ROOKIE RPER AWARD! MUAHHHAHAHAHHHA!

@Nakuzami: I still think we should go with the Anti-Arceus, it's a good idea. War caused between organizations might be good, but it would COMPLETELY ruin the Journey/Adventure genre and replace it with war. Above all things, I am completely against making this a war RP. I still disagree with the plates thing, but the Lost Islands could work out in the sequel, true. Perhaps it is Anti-Arceus' lair of sorts. Where we have to journey through each one to get to him.

On the other hand, what are you talking about with the Tao Trio? Where does THAT fit in?!

@Diamond: This is kinda suppose to be LIKE the games, so I'm with the notion of items.

@Yellow: Greatly helpful thread. Coulda put it up sooner Thanks, this will come in handy.

Dawn

Years
Okay so I'll be putting my 2 cents. Firstly I think the tournament idea is too cliche because I've been seeing many of it(many to make me personally hate them XD). And if we're going with the notion of using items as plot foundations, I have to say that is rather cliche and much like the games themselves, but I'm fine with it unless something more creative pops out. Also I think in terms of creativity, we should all move away from the common legendaries and revolve plots around the lesser-used deities. E.g. The Aegis, Eon duo, Lake guardians(on second thought the Red Chain event is in the game already :|), Lunar duo(I think its getting cliche but let's hear some opinions ;3), Sea guardians(Bit hard tho), Heatran(probably something global warming related xd), Kyurem(I actually have ideas but only skins :>), Meloetta(I have an idea but not the Journey type :/) and Genesect. Talking about this, maybe Sinnoh could be themed on Shaymin. I'm sure a certain mod would like that. XP

Be careful when talking about originality and creativity. They're the same and yet very different in that creativity is subjective, meaning creativity is in the eyes of the creator, not us. Originality on the other hand is objective.

SV

See You Space Cowboy
Years
  • Seen Feb 7, 2022
@Wymsical Yea, big deal, I won...like two thingsYou should read Skymin's message in the Roleplay Etiquette, man. Only post there if you have a legitimate question, not if you're saying: oh, this is awesome! (which you technically said).

I do have one comment on it, and this is me being honest, don't take it offensively. The roleplay etiquette is quite well written, but in honesty, the type of language and length exhibited is probably meant for a bit older audiences, as younger ones might not quit understand it all. That being said, most older RPers have most of these things understood. I say most, because there's always that exception. So while this is extremely helpful for younger RPers, I can't help but thing many will brush it off with the traditional tl;dr.

Wymsical

Years
@Wymsical Yea, big deal, I won...like two thingsYou should read Skymin's message in the Roleplay Etiquette, man. Only post there if you have a legitimate question, not if you're saying: oh, this is awesome! (which you technically said).

I do have one comment on it, and this is me being honest, don't take it offensively. The roleplay etiquette is quite well written, but in honesty, the type of language and length exhibited is probably meant for a bit older audiences, as younger ones might not quit understand it all. That being said, most older RPers have most of these things understood. I say most, because there's always that exception. So while this is extremely helpful for younger RPers, I can't help but thing many will brush it off with the traditional tl;dr.

Feeling sorry for yourself yet? Umm, whoops? lol. You can delete it. I just wanted to sound nice.

That is true, but then, younger audiences can just post asking a question, no? Besides, the RP corner is meant for those with above average writing skills, and not many younger kids can say they do. If they do, they usually have an elevated mindset too, like, they're more mature than others their age, so they would understand.

Dawn

Years
You're right, SuperVegeta though I can't help but think those people are going to learn best through their mistakes anyway.

Here's a thought though. If you see one of these people who is making a mistake, you as one of the older/more mature roleplayers could personally pay them a visit and attempt to teach them using the guide as a reference. You've even got those handy anchoring links, so that you can literally link them to specific parts. The guide is as much a tool for new users as it is older more experienced users that already know what is right but may not understand how to properly communicate it to/teach others.

SV

See You Space Cowboy
Years
  • Seen Feb 7, 2022
You're right, SuperVegeta though I can't help but think those people are going to learn best through their mistakes anyway.

Here's a thought though. If you see one of these people who is making a mistake, you as one of the older/more mature roleplayers could personally pay them a visit and attempt to teach them using the guide as a reference. You've even got those handy anchoring links, so that you can literally link them to specific parts. The guide is as much a tool for new users as it is older more experienced users that already know what is right but may not understand how to properly communicate it to/teach others.

Hmm, very good point. I'll be sure to do that in the future, if given a chance. Again, good job with it! I can see quite a lot of work was put into it.

Wymsical

Years
You know, you 'roleplayers' really aren't very hospitable towards newbies are you? You just use 'em to make yourselves look cooler. At least, most of ya. *eyeroll* lol. Etiquette just reminded me of the only people who really do care, so I thought to bring this up.

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
Years
@Everyone: I WON ROOKIE RPER AWARD! MUAHHHAHAHAHHHA!

@Nakuzami: I still think we should go with the Anti-Arceus, it's a good idea. War caused between organizations might be good, but it would COMPLETELY ruin the Journey/Adventure genre and replace it with war. Above all things, I am completely against making this a war RP. I still disagree with the plates thing, but the Lost Islands could work out in the sequel, true. Perhaps it is Anti-Arceus' lair of sorts. Where we have to journey through each one to get to him.

On the other hand, what are you talking about with the Tao Trio? Where does THAT fit in?!

@Diamond: This is kinda suppose to be LIKE the games, so I'm with the notion of items.

@Yellow: Greatly helpful thread. Coulda put it up sooner Thanks, this will come in handy.

Nononono, that's not what I meant. I meant that there's tension between the regions and that they're ready to go to war, but the RPers must stop that from happening by thwarting the evil teams and bringing their trickery into the light.

@Diamond1304 - That's kinda . . . What I had in mind. I never planned for us to . . . Well, we may interact with the larger legendaries, just not as much.
gawd, this is so annoying to type on my phone! :(

@Wymsical - Um . . . Hospitable . . . Lol, maybe not rushing to greet them and everything, as I'm used to the "veterans" of sorts. As long as their skills are good(or, at least, not horrid), I'm happy to welcome them :)

Wymsical

Years
Ya, no worries. Either I was joking, or I was generalizing. I can't tell. lolol

Oh. I see. Well, actually, that could work. If we cut out Anti-Arceus, and make the bad guys a new group, then the Protectors could be the guys who expose them. But HOW?! HOW do we expose them? hmmmmm.

Years
  • Age 31
  • AU
  • Seen Feb 18, 2023
You know why I would like to see? A NON Pokemon roleplay which a lot of people would join. Most non Pokemon ones tend to be unpopular. It sucks because there are people like me who are trying to ween off Pokemon roleplays. I hadnt even touched any kind of non Pokemon roleplay until years of lies, which I was nervous to join at first. Now, I prefer non Pokemon or more realistic but with Pokemon elements (anyone remember misfits?). Though this IS a Pokemon forum so Pokemon roleplays will always be the most popular option.

Actually, you know what would be interesting? A roleplay based on true events rather than based on fiction from books/games/movies/tv shows etc.

By the way, I'm pretty sure the average roleplayer here is about 13-15 and has been here less than a year. The youngest roleplayer I've seen is eight and the oldest is something like late 20s.

pokemongarnet

CAT-BUS!
Years
  • Seen Dec 13, 2016
Actually, you know what would be interesting? A roleplay based on true events rather than based on fiction from books/games/movies/tv shows etc.

By the way, I'm pretty sure the average roleplayer here is about 13-15 and has been here less than a year.

While this idea still has a sci-fi element it's more realistic, even though it isn't at all. But I was thinking of possibly submitting an RP in which the setting would be the real world. The main characters would be high school students who are all in AP, IB, or honors courses and would be really smart and all. And they think they're all set up for success, they would meet their future selves, who would be failures in one way or another, and they would come to sort of coach them into not doing this, that, or the other thing.

It's kind of a weird idea I guess.

I think that the age thing there is at least relatively accurate, but I think that most of us have been here more than a year...

Years
  • Age 31
  • AU
  • Seen Feb 18, 2023
I think that the age thing there is at least relatively accurate, but I think that most of us have been here more than a year...

Ah, but most people here aren't that active in the discussion here. There have been a lot of new faces popping up that we dont take notice of because they're not in roleplays that we are in. It would be nice to see people say a short hello in the discussion here, so we could learn who is really part of our little community here.

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
Years
@NKZM So, Like the Cold war tensions? Or something else. Also, I'm not very confident in my GMing abilities, I've never done it before.

Great Guide Yellow!

Yagerbomb

←Apple Jack
Years
You know why I would like to see? A NON Pokemon roleplay which a lot of people would join. Most non Pokemon ones tend to be unpopular. It sucks because there are people like me who are trying to ween off Pokemon roleplays. I hadnt even touched any kind of non Pokemon roleplay until years of lies, which I was nervous to join at first. Now, I prefer non Pokemon or more realistic but with Pokemon elements (anyone remember misfits?). Though this IS a Pokemon forum so Pokemon roleplays will always be the most popular option.

By the way, I'm pretty sure the average roleplayer here is about 13-15 and has been here less than a year. The youngest roleplayer I've seen is eight and the oldest is something like late 20s.

A non-Pokemon Roleplay? I've tried it before, but as you mentioned, Non-Pokemon Roleplays are unpopular. If a non-Pokemon Roleplay based a on true events showed up, I'd be game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back