• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

March Maaaadness

Status
Not open for further replies.

droomph

weeb
Years
. . . Well, that's because Pokemon started out as a video game. Not to mention there are a LOT LESS Pokemon than Duel Monster Spirits.
And, in fact, a lot of the Duel Monster Spirits have deep and involved back stories, if you'd bother to pay any attention to them. Obviously you don't, considering you only seem to enjoy insulting what you don't seem to know. >.>;
I didn't say it was bad, I just said that's why I prefer Pokémon.

Like, I've never heard of a YGO game, but every few years you hear of a new Pokémon game. It's just about how much people know about it.

And the only episodes I saw, were where the people were getting into duels, and the monsters don't even appear until you put it into battle. There's no emotional side to the monsters, is what I'm trying to say.

And what I was trying to say, was that in the Pokémon games, you sorta build an "emotional" bond to the characters, but in the YGO games, it just feels like "oh great, it's a card, and it has a story. whoopadeedoo."

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I think the bond in YGO doesn't come from games, but from the show. Like for Pokemon the main bond is the games, but for YGO the main bond is the show, you see them used in the show and come to like them. And then the card game is their own game - just like in the game there are no real personalities to your Pokemon, you just project them there, in the YGO card game you probably have a deck you love that centers around monsters you love and you build bonds by playing real people with the cards.

droomph

weeb
Years
Well, what about the outside parts where the Pokémon get in trouble and go on adventures, and not just battle? I think that's where I like it better.

I mean, card games are great if you have an adventurous mind and you can create personalities, but for me it's more about how they're really alive and have real personalities.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
But in the games they don't go outside and have adventures, they just battle. :(

Years
If we're going to talk about TCGs with characters that had personality, we better start talking about the Harry Potter TCG!

Actually, nah, that thing flopped horribly. Shame, really, as it was a lot of fun.

also ptcg is way superior to ygo :P /hides from hardcore ygo players
Actually I do have fun playing both, but the PTCG holds my interest better being the first introduced into my life and also being the most affordable of the Big 3 TCGs.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I have such fond childhood memories of learning to play MTG though. But I never could afford to play it much. That's why I play video games with cards, I love card games but real card games are so EXPENSIVE.

Caelus

Gone
Years
  • Seen May 26, 2013
Yeah I ended up downloading the Pokemon TCG game on the official website because I didn't want to pay any money to get real cards; I just wanted to battle.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Wait if it's just for you then can't the YGO monsters go out for you too?

Droomph I'm so lost :(

Years
I kinda lost interest in MTG because it was so expensive to keep up. It was even more insane trying to actively keep up with 2 TCGs. Ended up pulling myself from both competitively for a couple years or so.

Yeah I ended up downloading the Pokemon TCG game on the official website because I didn't want to pay any money to get real cards; I just wanted to battle.

The single player mode for that does get boring after a while, and to play against people competitively you do have to go out and buy actual booster packs. Or, at least, buy the code cards that come in them. At least if you want a random matchup to be competitive.

Pokemon is still definitely the cheapest card game of the Big 3, because The Pokemon Company makes an effort to make the really broken cards widely available to everyone. Like Mewtwo EX. That card won entire tournaments by itself before they released the Mewtwo EX tin that had Mewtwo EX in it. Now, instead of just the wealthiest and most dedicated players being the only ones with the card, everyone owns at least one copy of it.

Sir Codin

My friends got me back into that game recently and it's now the one of the things in my life most likely to keep me constantly broke.

Also, HOLY BEJEEZES, GATECRASH RELEASES TOMORROW!!!! THERE'S GOING TO BE A DRAFT TOURNAMENT AT MY LOCAL CARD SHOP THERE'S AT LEAST ANOTHER $20 SPENT ON CARDS! FOR UNLAWFUL CARNAL KNOWLEDGE, I HATE MY FRIENDS; THEY'VE RUINED MY LIFE AND I'M ENJOYING EVERY SECOND OF IT!!!!

Also:

You guys and your silly children's card games.

Disembowel_RAV.jpg

21354.jpg

Image.ashx

kqchx0mivr_en.jpg

97.jpg

Right, a silly children's card game.

Last edited:
Years
kJzr1.gif

I agree that YGO is far superior as a game. But when we go to that, I usually skip YGO and go straight to MTG, because it's superior to YGO as a game, haha.

I'm interested in your justification(s) behind your claim.

I have a full and completed deck in black covers in a black deck box. I see it from time to time, but I'm more of an ex-Yu-Gi-Oh card collector than anything else. It's just cool to have. :P

You badass mother****er!

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 14, 2021
The only trading card game I played was Yugioh, and most of the cards were cards given by some rich kid who always bought cards and he gave me cards that he did not wanted.

Years
I switched from YGO to Pokemon because it's cheaper and there's not as much turn one LOL LOOK AT ME I SUMMON FIVE MONSTERS TO THE FIELD, DO ALL THIS ****ING ******** AND NOW YOU ARE BASICALLY ****ED BEFORE YOU EVEN GET TO DRAW YOUR 6TH CARD, LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO **** YOU AHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAA ****!

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
I used to play YuGiOh yeaaaars ago but I haven't since before moving from one state to another which one ... oh almost ten years now. but I do still play the Pokemon TCG every now and then.

Years
I used to play Yu-Gi-Oh! back in the day when the show was actually good (pre-GX imo) but that was waaay back in elementary school for me. I still have my collection of cards somewhere though.

I also have a collection of older Pokémon Cards but I have never even bothered using those let alone trade them. I think they were given to me from my brother, though as well, when he stopped playing the card game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back