• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Toads are Gods [Rain Dance RMT]

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
Years
Well, I'm fairly new to the 5th gen, and OU (considering I dwelled within the NU tier). But with the possibilty of infinite rain without need a Kyogre sparked my interest in a rain dance team. Many pokemon benefit in the rain, and thus with the possibility to control the weather, I would have a pretty good head-start.
Personally, I was trying to mould my team into a well-rounded one, capable of stalling and sweeping. But I lost my footing half-way through team making.

Team Building

Spoiler:

The Team

186.png

Politoed (M) @ Leftovers Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Surf
- Rest
- Toxic
- Perish Song

Comments: I have no idea what a standard Politoed is, so I made one up. Surf for STAB, Perish Song for hazing (or even at the start, so I can make them switch and get a free turn). I have Toxic to stall, and Rest as Politoed has no recovery move. I try to make him survive, as he's my only rain starter. I don't care if he's sleeping, he still makes infinite rain.

205.png

Forretress (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic Spikes
- Volt Change

Comments: This is a pretty good set, for me. I don't have many problems, except when D_A's stupid Xatu comes along and bounces back toxic spikes at me. Volt Change is there over Explosion as it acts like a Shed Shell. It gets me away from Shandera setting up subs and Calm Minding until it's as calm as Jesus.

230.png

Kingdra (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 208 Atk / 136 SAtk / 164 Spd
Rash Nature (+SAtk, -SDef)
- Signal Beam
- Hydro Pump
- Waterfall
- Draco Meteor

Comments: Kingdra acts as a Mixed Sweeper. Hydro Pump plows through most things, and when Sazandora comes in to revenge it gets OHKO'd by Draco Meteor. It's Swift Swim makes it a very good sweeper. Signal Beam is there for Celebi's, but against other psychics waterfall does more damage. I am thinking of replacing Signal Beam with HP [ElectriC] (for Gyarados) or Rain Dance (for utility).

121.png

Starmie @ Life Orb
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Surf
- Thunder
- Ice Beam
- Recover

Comments: This little star helps with its major speed. Surf and Thunder make on hell of a combo in the rain, and Ice beam for dragons. Recover is for life orb damage.

Pretty happy with this, but I could go for Hydro Pump over Surf, for the power

149.png

Dragonite (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Multi-Scale
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Thunder
- Hurricane
- Surf
- Roost

Comments: This is actually pretty fun to use in Rain. The new move Hurricane is like Thunder, but flying type, and with the STAB it has 180 base power. Not to mention a chance to confuse the opponent. Dragonite's Hurricane is the only thing that can dent Nattorei, which is kinda sad. Surf and Thunder as it is rain, and Roost for healing life orb damage. Surf doesn't do much, thinking of changing it with a different move, preferably something to take advantage of the dragon type STAB.

141.png

Kabutops (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance

Comments: Kabutops, I love him. He gets various opportunities to set up against some pokemon, but one wrong move usually results in getting killed by life orb damage. After a Swords Dance Kabutops can sweep using Aqua Jet alone. Waterfall and Stone Edge for STAB, and Aqua Jet for priority. Even though this is a pretty predictable moveset, it is powerful.

Final Comments

This team has secured me alot of wins, despite its many flaws. One thing I have to look out for are weather changers in the late game, where sometimes Politoed is KO'd. Also, I think a wish Vaporeon could greatly improve my team, being able to give life to Kabutops when he's got low health. Another option was a Hydration stall, which again, Vaporeon could fill the slot. Hydration in rain is a pretty unstoppable combo, so I'm eager to implement it into my team.

---

The end, so please rate and critique

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
The lack of STAB hurts on Dragonite. Since you said Surf isn't really doing much, replace it with Draco Meteor or Dragon Pulse.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
The team seems okay, but replace Surf with Dragon Pulse; also Give Politoad Calm nature (Sp.Def+ -Atk)

Leave Surf on Starmie as Hydro pump can miss. As you know :D

Maybe place Ice beam onto Kingdra, or Flash cannon. :0

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
Years
i have switched Surf for Dragon Pulse on Dragonite :)
seeing how it works

Zaroas

Dragon's Might
Years
Well, like you said, Natt walls you to no end really. A combo of Nattorei and Burungeru (Which is pretty common) walls YOUR ENTIRE TEAM. You need a wall breaker that can actually preform in the Rain. I'm kind of thinking Roobushin could work, because Fighting is super effective on Natt and Stone Edge/Payback hits Burungeru hard, while its Burning techniques only raise Roobushin's attack. This could go over Kingdra if you wanted it to.

Other than that, it seems fine. I think I might have played you once, and you came out on top.

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
Years
The lack of STAB hurts on Dragonite. Since you said Surf isn't really doing much, replace it with Draco Meteor or Dragon Pulse.
Last time I heard, Dragonite is a Flying type, Hurricane is a Flying type move. Coincidence?

Anyway, one thing I noticed is that you have a pretty big Jolteon/Electric weakness, which pretty much shreds this team apart. I'd try to fix that if I were you, but I have no idea what to replace and what to put there.

Special Nite sucks pretty bad. Physical Nite would work better for you.

Dragonite @ Leftovers/Life Orb
Trait: Shed Skin/Multiscale(if it's released)
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 176 HP, 252 Atk, 80 Spe
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Aqua Tail
- Roost

A bit more bulk and is physical. Water/Dragon iirc hits every for neutral, bar Empoleon/Nattorei.

This is pretty much all I can pick out.

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
Years
i was thinking of replacing dragonite, for maybe a Vaporeon or a Roobushin (as mentioned above)

Back