• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] A shout out...

PiaCRT

[i]Orange Dev[/i]
Years
A shout out to Maruno. I honestly don't think this guy gets enough appreciation for what he does. He has always helped people with their problems and he gets nothing in return. He took on a project as big as this, and I rarely ever see him given thanks for it. About 70% of the users of Pokémon Essentials have no coding experience whatsoever, and they are always asking for tricky or very implausible features for their game and their game only.

But I just wanna say thank you Maruno, I really appreciate the work and time you've put into this over the last (has it been almost two years now?) year or so. I haven't seen any thread like this in this forum, and to be honest I think it should be allowed.

Now, so that this doesn't get locked:
Do you think Maruno gets enough recognition and thanks for this project. Why?

XerX

Team Mercury Leader
Years
I'd also like to say thanks to Maruno. From what I've seen, your right when he doesn't get enough recognition, heck a lot of the people who use Poké-Essentials don't even give credit to him, even asking himself via the engine. He should be getting much more than what he gets now. Kuddos to you Maruno! Thanks for making such a great engine! (Y)

Years
  • Seen May 15, 2013
Yeah, I couldn't agree more. Without his help, the majority of games would have hit huge problems. He seems to reply to every issue, and never gets annoyed at people's ignorance. Thank you sooo much Maruno you make all our Pokémanic dreams a reality :)

Last edited:

JokerBen

Director of Pokémon Nobelium
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Aug 29, 2023
I'd like to thank Maruno for everything he does. I don't know what exactly know what he does, and how he does it, but Maruno definitely deserves more credit. I'm starting a thread thats all about thanking Maruno!

Cilerba

the hearts of lonely people
Years
Nah I've seen better. He's not even that good at scripting.

Jokes jokes jokes. You've done a pretty good job with Essentials since poccil handed it over, Maruno. (Now if only you could keep your wolves under control..)

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
Thanks everyone!

I've been in charge of Essentials for a year and a half now, and I've been using Essentials on and off for 3 years before that. I'm in the unique position of not making my own game, so everything I do is solely for improving the tools everyone else can use. I can't imagine how much time I've wasted spent on it. It would be rather amusing to go back to poccil's last release and see how bad it is in comparison.

I also (pretty much) single-handedly created and wrote the wiki, which I for one find very helpful.

It's interesting to see people's questions, because sometimes they're about features or ways of doing things which I haven't thought of before. If something appeals to me, I might add even it into Essentials. In any case, answering those questions makes me think about how Essentials works, which helps me to understand it better. When I'm answering questions, there's always a small glimmer of hope that the asker will actually end up making a game for once; I'm just helping them to do so.

AmethystRain

pixie-powered judgment!
Years
  • Seen Nov 28, 2022
Definitely in for this; thank you so much Maruno~ I'm kind of used to projects like this having been abandoned, and going about these sorts of things with no real support is mind-numbing. When I first found essentials, I was very skeptical about its application, and I thought to myself, well, if there isn't like a real person still working on this, I'm just going to bother.
And then nine months and going-on six demos later, here we are. <3 I definitely appreciate all the work you're putting in!

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen today
Do you think Maruno gets enough recognition and thanks for this project. Why?
I thinks that he deserves a little more for the big work done, sometimes he make too many things that I wonder how many hours Maruno sleeps per day XD. Anyway, the main problem is the little support that people gives to the Essentials project. In several points Maruno asked for help and gets no result. The Wiki is a big example with several sections still undone.

Other problem that I can see now: This great kit needs more advertising outside of Pokécommunity (and maybe in others Pokécommunity sections)! Maybe this can draw attention of more people that can help with Essentials with a mutual benefit.

When Poccil stops releasing new versions I wonder if Maruno may keep up with this big project, even I can't thing someone better. I disagree with some decisions and still disagree with some like no gen 5 pokémon (even without decent battlers), no gen 4/5 overworld graphics and the new tilesets . About this last one, despite the new tilesets are more performatic, I prefer and suggest to use the extended version of old ones that also have some RSE tiles and I can mix some tiles (example: put a ship tile in a house).

But Maruno come with good ideas and changes. He was less script skills that poccil (that I consider a genius) but was a very better game designer skills, so he can make changes/features that people wish instead of spent a huge time with features that very few people will use.

Maruno is also skillful enough to handle with some details that Poccil make (like the _I and _INTL). He sucessfull release several good versions of Essentials and earned my respect. Congratulations!

When I'm answering questions, there's always a small glimmer of hope that the asker will actually end up making a game for once; I'm just helping them to do so.
I have the same feeling. It is annoying if you help someone with a (relatively) complex custom feature and this developer ends giving up in the next week.

Back