• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
Years
Redstar said:
Yup. Mahdi, the long-awaited messiah for many Muslim faiths.
Ah, that Mahdi. Like I said, I'll be willing to explain in my leisure but I wont do it in the FFL for fear of being off topic. ^_^

Interesting note:I once met a guy named Mahdi. I almost thought it was the end of the world (It's one of the signs), till I found out he was one of my mother's colleagues. XD

Now to answer my own question...

When writing Fanfiction, what part do you love writing the most? Intense Pokemon battles, fights in between humans, filler, or some other stuff?
For me, it would have to be the Pokemon battles, Intense scenes of horror, epic battles, filler and comedy. I like injecting bits and pieces of humour into my fic and also inappropriate behaviour in certain creatures (i.e. Groudon from TCNG). But, my favourite would have to be writing about violent goings on in the fic. Case point would be Chapter 3 of TCNG which is not that violent yet but will be in later chapters.

What's your favourite Fanfiction Genre?
I'd have too say Horror, Sci-Fi, Action, Comedy/Parody, Supernatural and to a certain extent Romance(But not where it gets too kinky or too over the top. But my favourite out of all of them would have to be Horror.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2016
Ah, that Mahdi. Like I said, I'll be willing to explain in my leisure but I wont do it in the FFL for fear of being off topic. ^_^

Interesting note:I once met a guy named Mahdi. I almost thought it was the end of the world (It's one of the signs), till I found out he was one of my mother's colleagues. XD
(To stay on topic I'll continue the conversation as well as answer the questions)

I met a girl with the name once, and fairly sure I met someone with a variation of Shaitan (the Muslim name for Satan).

Much more interesting than meeting a 'Jesus' any day.

When writing Fanfiction, what part do you love writing the most? Intense Pokemon battles, fights in between humans, filler, or some other stuff?
Introspective thoughts and character interaction, and the "ideas" that make the world stand out. In the two fanfictions I'm working on now, one deals with a character and his interactions with family, other trainers, and his Pokemon on a quest to stop being an *******. The other is a work more akin to a college thesis, with the various legendaries of the first through third generations tied together in a single mythology, and how that relates to humans.

Science fiction. Not your typical, pop trash fed to the masses a la Star Wars or to some extent Star Trek, but the classic stuff that is not only considered a classic to the genre but to the entire literary field... The Dune series by Frank Herbert, many of Heinlein's works, a few Clarke, and anything by Ray Bradbury. Can't get enough of new worlds and new characters reacting to those worlds.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
Years
Redstar said:
I met a girl with the name once, and fairly sure I met someone with a variation of Shaitan (the Muslim name for Satan).
Which leads me to wonder what kind of parents she had?

Also, I've known few people who were named Jesus. Though, I forgot their names.

You wouldn't happen to be muslim by any chance would you?

Also to stay on topic,

Introspective thoughts and character interaction, and the "ideas" that make the world stand out. In the two fanfictions I'm working on now, one deals with a character and his interactions with family, other trainers, and his Pokemon on a quest to stop being an *******. The other is a work more akin to a college thesis, with the various legendaries of the first through third generations tied together in a single mythology, and how that relates to humans.
That sounds quite complex. But then again, it looks like something nice to read. :D

Sydian

fake your death.
Years

The Jesus as in jee-zus or hay-zeus?

certain extent Romance(But not where it gets too kinky or too over the top.

-shudders- Those types typically are never done well. They make me cry. Well, not literally, but relationships are so badly butchered in them it's not even funny. That Nightingale story I mentioned earlier was actually rated M by the author, however, when it says "some nudity" or something along those lines, I don't expect the story to be nearly a full fledged lemon. They really should have an L rating. No joke.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
Years
SilverSmeargleSplatter said:
The Jesus as in jee-zus or hay-zeus?
Both actually. But mostly the hay-zeus kind. There was one jee-zus kind.

-shudders- Those types typically are never done well. They make me cry. Well, not literally, but relationships are so badly butchered in them it's not even funny. That Nightingale story I mentioned earlier was actually rated M by the author, however, when it says "some nudity" or something along those lines, I don't expect the story to be nearly a full fledged lemon. They really should have an L rating. No joke.
Yep, I shudder to think about what goes through these authors minds while writing this. Erotica?
By the way, the Black Friday (Pokemon Special) fic in the PFF&P was done fairly well. I enjoyed the Franticshipping and it was one of the best romance and comedy fics I've seen in a while.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2016
Which leads me to wonder what kind of parents she had?

You wouldn't happen to be muslim by any chance would you?

Also to stay on topic,

That sounds quite complex. But then again, it looks like something nice to read. :D
One does have to wonder... I know a Crystal that was named as such because of her mother's love for crystal... meth.

I'm not, but after Dune and my own mythological interest Islam is a pretty fun religion to get into.

It's not too complex. I have all the legendaries tied together in one way or another, some in very unexpected fashions, but the actual story is still developing. Once I fully figure out how carry the ideas of the story through the actions of the characters, I'll be golden. Until then it's just a cool project of mine that may never get read.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
Years
It's not too complex. I have all the legendaries tied together in one way or another, some in very unexpected fashions, but the actual story is still developing. Once I fully figure out how carry the ideas of the story through the actions of the characters, I'll be golden. Until then it's just a cool project of mine that may never get read.
Really. I hope you get to writing it soon when you feel like it. I'll be rooting for you. XD

I'm not, but after Dune and my own mythological interest Islam is a pretty fun religion to get into.
I am but I assure you we're not terrorists (I say that because of the misconception that many people seem to have). And also, I see what you mean by Dune. I've never actually read it yet but I'm planning on it.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2016
Really. I hope you get to writing it soon when you feel like it. I'll be rooting for you. XD
If I get anything done I'll be sure to let you know... Maybe you could help out, since a little Arabic/Islamic themes might help it out. Right now I'm using Egyptian, Greek, and Christian mythology as inspiration.

I am but I assure you we're not terrorists (I say that because of the misconception that many people seem to have). And also, I see what you mean by Dune. I've never actually read it yet but I'm planning on it.
Just to let you know, I'm not an idiot. I would like to say that whole "Middle East is a big cave filled with crazy cockroach terrorists" misconception wasn't still around, but it still crops up from time to time. Hopefully you haven't had much issue with that.

I'd highly recommend it. It was the first science fiction novel to ever write a story about characters, not the usual ideas of "humans vs aliens". Characters actually develop and change throughout the novel, though the ideas and themes will keep you reading. It's considered one of the greatest fictional works of all time.

Plus Arabic is used quite a bit. You might know the roots of many of the words. So, Achlan, wasachlan!

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
Years
Redstar said:
If I get anything done I'll be sure to let you know... Maybe you could help out, since a little Arabic/Islamic themes might help it out. Right now I'm using Egyptian, Greek, and Christian mythology as inspiration.
Just so you know, I'm not Arabic. I'm Malay. Malay has a lot of words taken from Arabic but for the most part I don't really understand Arabic. I can read Arabic (i.e. Quran) but I don't understand Arabic. Which is why I bought a translated version. XD. But with the themes and mythology part, that I can help. ^_^
Redstar said:
Just to let you know, I'm not an idiot. I would like to say that whole "Middle East is a big cave filled with crazy cockroach terrorists" misconception wasn't still around, but it still crops up from time to time. Hopefully you haven't had much issue with that.

I'd highly recommend it. It was the first science fiction novel to ever write a story about characters, not the usual ideas of "humans vs aliens". Characters actually develop and change throughout the novel, though the ideas and themes will keep you reading. It's considered one of the greatest fictional works of all time.

Plus Arabic is used quite a bit. You might know the roots of many of the words. So, Achlan, wasachlan!
I never said you were. ^_^

I was just clarifying that part to anyone who had that misconception after the WTC bombings. Just so you know, Osama Bin Laden is sometimes considered a heretic to some Muslims. His own son Omar Osama Bin Laden issued a public request for him to stop killing people. Again, just a clarification.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2016
Just so you know, I'm not Arabic. I'm Malay. Malay has a lot of words taken from Arabic but for the most part I don't really understand Arabic. I can read Arabic (i.e. Quran) but I don't understand Arabic. Which is why I bought a translated version. XD. But with the themes and mythology part, that I can help. ^_^
Whatever works. I'm still trying to figure out what to do with Lugia, but I have an idea. Not the most original, but it works in terms of the story and could make an interesting sub-plot.

I never said you were. ^_^

I was just clarifying that part to anyone who had that misconception after the WTC bombings. Just so you know, Osama Bin Laden is sometimes considered a heretic to some Muslims. His own son Omar Osama Bin Laden issued a public request for him to stop killing people. Again, just a clarification.
There's many different sects in the Islamic faith, just as there is in Christianity. Personally I find Christianity to have more violent roots and messages in the Bible, but what it comes down to is how you choose to accept your faith and share it with others. If you know of Jack Chick, then you can probably understand how frustrated I get with religious ignorance.

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 23, 2013
What is your greatest enemy in writing (ignoring writers block)?

Biggest enemy that isn't writer's block... hmm. Ironic as it sounds, my greatest fear and enemy while writing fics of any fandom are definitely the canon characters. Almost all of them (yes, I've written many that haven't been posted here) have been either A: fussed over for a few weeks to get their personality right or B: ignored the canon altogether and made up something entirely new (in comedy and parodies only, of course). So... there you have it, the one thing that keeps me sqirming while I re-read chapters. 'Did I get Soandso right...?' As for original fiction... I haven't actually written any original fiction.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Yep, I shudder to think about what goes through these authors minds while writing this. Erotica?
By the way, the Black Friday (Pokemon Special) fic in the PFF&P was done fairly well. I enjoyed the Franticshipping and it was one of the best romance and comedy fics I've seen in a while.

I had a joke about the erotica part, but I guess it's funnier when you hear it from my weird voice.
Spoiler:

Just to let you know, I'm not an idiot. I would like to say that whole "Middle East is a big cave filled with crazy cockroach terrorists" misconception wasn't still around, but it still crops up from time to time. Hopefully you haven't had much issue with tha

I told you you weren't.

There's many different sects in the Islamic faith, just as there is in Christianity. Personally I find Christianity to have more violent roots and messages in the Bible, but what it comes down to is how you choose to accept your faith and share it with others. If you know of Jack Chick, then you can probably understand how frustrated I get with religious ignorance.

Would it be ignorant if I told you the only thing I know outside of my religion is the stereotypes? But no, seriously, I live in a condensed area where there's hardly any other religion other than Baptism. I'm in the heart of the Bible Belt. I don't have a problem with it, I just hate how people here are still living in the past and shove religion down peoples' throats.

On another note, I would not like my name to be Lenore.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2016
I told you you weren't.
Me saying I'm not an idiot was less about me saying I'm not an idiot and more saying other people are, if you get what I mean.

Would it be ignorant if I told you the only thing I know outside of my religion is the stereotypes? But no, seriously, I live in a condensed area where there's hardly any other religion other than Baptism. I'm in the heart of the Bible Belt. I don't have a problem with it, I just hate how people here are still living in the past and shove religion down peoples' throats.

On another note, I would not like my name to be Lenore.
Religion is a touchy subject. It's simply amazing how little we know about our own heritage, considering we've only been here for a measly 6,000 years or so. I wish humans weren't so prone to destroying everything that's different from what they believe... I wouldn't be surprised if the Catholic church and any other dominant faith, as well as lesser-known ones actively destroyed documents when they could. It's horrifying to think we may never know the truth about how things really began.

But! But! The Raven.... D:

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
Years
Actually, I like things that cross the boundary lines that genres draw. Although I'm a sucker for a psychological thriller, fanfiction or original fiction, I certainly enjoy it when a fic doesn't easily fit any genre stereotype.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
Years
Redstar said:
Religion is a touchy subject. It's simply amazing how little we know about our own heritage, considering we've only been here for a measly 6,000 years or so. I wish humans weren't so prone to destroying everything that's different from what they believe... I wouldn't be surprised if the Catholic church and any other dominant faith, as well as lesser-known ones actively destroyed documents when they could. It's horrifying to think we may never know the truth about how things really began.
Hmmm true. It gives one an awful lot to think about. We can only gather vague truths from religious texts.

Citrinin said:
Actually, I like things that cross the boundary lines that genres draw. Although I'm a sucker for a psychological thriller, fanfiction or original fiction, I certainly enjoy it when a fic doesn't easily fit any genre stereotype.
When you said psychological thriller, you reminded me of Death Note. I remember reading something about Death Note on FF.Net

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
Characters. I love taking the characters, plopping them into any sort of situation (there tends to be a lot of Bad Things going on with them), and seeing how they think and feel. Also, how they interact with one another and how they grow.

To read? Anything, as long as it's good. (*waves to fanfic recommending person who has never steered me wrong yet*)

To write? Science-fiction (comes with the fandom), fantasy, adventure, and romance. A big old ball of GENERAL. Yay gen.

What is your greatest enemy in writing (ignoring writers block)?
I have a new one.

Peggle.

You win if you know what I'm talking about.

txteclipse

The Last
Years

I think I'm beginning to like character development the best, actually. It's not my strongest suit, but I love it. I have this tendency to use everything except dialogue to build my characters' personalities, such as body language and even the tone I write in when I'm focusing on a certain character. I've also done things like affiliating characters with certain colors that pop up from time to time in the story, usually on an object or during an event that fits their personality. So I have this kind of sub-text thing going on that ties everyone and everything together. It's cool to think of ways to do that, imo.

Peggle.

You win if you know what I'm talking about.

Peggle? As in the game Peggle? Isn't that as old as the word "old?"

Bay

Years
Like Astinus, characters. Not just for interactions and how they grow, but also sometimes I would get excited when I write their lines/dialogue. For instance, in NE I had loads of fun writing Jacob's monologue at the Contest Hall and his line, "The stage is set. Goals will be achieved. History comes alive." I also have some favorites from Jenny and Bunny.

I swear, I'll one day tally how many times this topic came about. xD; In any case, my favorites are comedy and mystery, in terms of reading and writing.

Swift!

The Swiftiest
Years
I don't post in this thread half as much as I should. I shouldn't even call myself a writer, seeing as I haven't written anything in months.

I'm hoping all of that will change. I've finally come up with a fairly strong story idea, which I'm quite happy with and would love to actually start typing up. The problem is, it's been so long since my last story (6 months, I think) that I can't seem to formulate a proper sentence, let alone a whole chapter/prologue.

Anyway, I'd like to ask if any of the great fanfiction writers that hang around in this thread have any tips on getting more enthusiastic about writing and can help me get back into the flow of things.

Please. I'm desperate. D:

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2016
I don't post in this thread half as much as I should. I shouldn't even call myself a writer, seeing as I haven't written anything in months.

I'm hoping all of that will change. I've finally come up with a fairly strong story idea, which I'm quite happy with and would love to actually start typing up. The problem is, it's been so long since my last story (6 months, I think) that I can't seem to formulate a proper sentence, let alone a whole chapter/prologue.

Anyway, I'd like to ask if any of the great fanfiction writers that hang around in this thread have any tips on getting more enthusiastic about writing and can help me get back into the flow of things.

Please. I'm desperate. D:
Don't worry about it. I haven't written a story for over a year, with my last writing exercises nearly half a year ago (character profiles and chapter plotting for a novel) and only just begun a fanfiction a few days ago. You never really get out of it.

To get enthusiastic there are several things you can do. You can watch movies and read books/stories, which I find to be very inspiring... Either I want to write something comparable or prove how easy it is not to suck. When you can compare yourself to something it's easy to have a starting point. But above those I recommend just one thing: write. The only way to get back into writing and be enthusiastic about it is to actually write. If only a few lines or transcriptions of scenes around you every day will keep your mind jumping and improving, and eventually you'll gain momentum and enjoy doing it to the point you'll be writing full chapters every day with your hands typing with a mind of their own. Just go for it, and you'll get it.

(And I see your Avatar avatar and signature... You going to boycott the movie?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back