• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: General Pokémon Trading Card Game Daily Chit-Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fairy Tale~

Straight Outta Compton
Years
Hey i've been out for a while and really have no cards from any new set. My newest cards are one pack of furious fists so really, any good decks/cards i should know about?

Gamer2020

Accept no Imitations!
Years
I have been experimenting with the following card lately:
24.png

There just isn't enough water support currently and it doesn't do enough damage. It could be viable in the future if the right cards come out. Opinions?

RandomHype

Explosive Explosion
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Sep 2, 2015
Use Wailord EX when it comes out
That will be a SPLASH

Years
  • Seen Apr 26, 2015
Went to cities or w/e it is today and got 3rd. I was undefeated and in the top cut. But got paired up against the only pyroar and got pretty demolished. I won first match pretty quickly. Lost the second one pretty quickly. 3rd game i could have won turn 2, but all of my muscle bands were prized and it ended up costing me the game.

Either way my deck was VirGen Balloons. I was going to play manectric in there but no one was playing Yveltal, so i decided to switch to balloons and it paid off.

5 straight victories, most of which were heavily one sided. But the one pyroar deck just had to be paired against me in the top cut...

On a side note, there were like 5 night march decks. Though none of them did very well. Top 4 were
VirGen Balloons
Pyroar/Ninetales
Gengar
Donphan

Gamer2020

Accept no Imitations!
Years
Went to cities or w/e it is today and got 3rd. I was undefeated and in the top cut. But got paired up against the only pyroar and got pretty demolished. I won first match pretty quickly. Lost the second one pretty quickly. 3rd game i could have won turn 2, but all of my muscle bands were prized and it ended up costing me the game.

Either way my deck was VirGen Balloons. I was going to play manectric in there but no one was playing Yveltal, so i decided to switch to balloons and it paid off.

5 straight victories, most of which were heavily one sided. But the one pyroar deck just had to be paired against me in the top cut...

On a side note, there were like 5 night march decks. Though none of them did very well. Top 4 were
VirGen Balloons
Pyroar/Ninetales
Gengar
Donphan
Which city where you playing in?

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
I've been thinking of getting into the trading card game lately, and am planning to obtain a Trainer Kit and a starter deck. Now if only I could find a community of players... (I probably should start doing Internet searches for local communities playing the Pokémon TCG.)

Should I?

Years
I've been thinking of getting into the trading card game lately, and am planning to obtain a Trainer Kit and a starter deck. Now if only I could find a community of players... (I probably should start doing Internet searches for local communities playing the Pokémon TCG.)

Should I?

The TCG Online might be a good place for you to start :) It doesn't cost anything to play, and you're provided with a few free decks to start with (and you can earn tokens to buy more decks or booster packs), and plenty of AI opponents to practice against before you start challenging real people. That way if you discover you don't like the game, you haven't spent any money on it (and if you live in a small town like me, it can be difficult to find a league within a reasonable distance).

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
The TCG Online might be a good place for you to start :) It doesn't cost anything to play, and you're provided with a few free decks to start with (and you can earn tokens to buy more decks or booster packs), and plenty of AI opponents to practice against before you start challenging real people. That way if you discover you don't like the game, you haven't spent any money on it (and if you live in a small town like me, it can be difficult to find a league within a reasonable distance).

I'm thinking of "even if I don't end up battling, I'm collecting". Just like how I deal with Pokémon video games... What then?

TCGO feels really weird, to be honest...

Years
I'm thinking of "even if I don't end up battling, I'm collecting". Just like how I deal with Pokémon video games... What then?

TCGO feels really weird, to be honest...

Yeah, the TCGO isn't great if you want to actually collect cards, but it's a good place to practice or find people to play against if you don't have anyone in your area to play with. There's also tcgone.net, which has a slightly trickier and sometimes buggy or slow interface, but is entirely free and is a great place to practice deck building and try out your decks because you have access to nearly every card. There's also playtcg.com. It's not automated though, so it's more like playing a live game, as you have to know all the rules and set up very well, and need to communicate with your opponent what you're doing.

pokemon.com has a list of official leagues in their TCG section, but I'm not sure how up-to-date it is. That might be a good place to start. If there are any comic book stores in your area, they will likely have days when you can play.

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Yeah, the TCGO isn't great if you want to actually collect cards, but it's a good place to practice or find people to play against if you don't have anyone in your area to play with. There's also tcgone.net, which has a slightly trickier and sometimes buggy or slow interface, but is entirely free and is a great place to practice deck building and try out your decks because you have access to nearly every card. There's also playtcg.com. It's not automated though, so it's more like playing a live game, as you have to know all the rules and set up very well, and need to communicate with your opponent what you're doing.

pokemon.com has a list of official leagues in their TCG section, but I'm not sure how up-to-date it is. That might be a good place to start. If there are any comic book stores in your area, they will likely have days when you can play.

Seems like I've found some leagues that I could participate in! Now to confirm my schedule...

Should I get a deck going on before getting into a league?

Years
Seems like I've found some leagues that I could participate in! Now to confirm my schedule...

Should I get a deck going on before getting into a league?

Yes, you'll need a deck of some kind. You might want to contact the league organizer and see what options they have for beginners, or if they have any tips about what deck(s) would hold up well in their particular league (the meta game can very from place to place). Depending on how often they hold events and how big/organized they are, you might be able to play some theme-deck matches (GREAT for beginners, because it lets you learn strategy and rules without having to worry about facing a deck that is significantly better than yours), and I've heard of cases where the organizers have had decks or individual cards (and often energy) that new players can borrow, nights when you can learn how to play and deck build, etc. Unfortunately I live in an area where the closest league is a 45 minute drive away and I just don't have that kind of time to commit (especially when driving can get really bad during the winter, and I'd probably only be able to go in the evenings), so I don't really have any first hand experience, just stories from other people I've talked to.

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Yes, you'll need a deck of some kind. You might want to contact the league organizer and see what options they have for beginners, or if they have any tips about what deck(s) would hold up well in their particular league (the meta game can very from place to place). Depending on how often they hold events and how big/organized they are, you might be able to play some theme-deck matches (GREAT for beginners, because it lets you learn strategy and rules without having to worry about facing a deck that is significantly better than yours), and I've heard of cases where the organizers have had decks or individual cards (and often energy) that new players can borrow, nights when you can learn how to play and deck build, etc. Unfortunately I live in an area where the closest league is a 45 minute drive away and I just don't have that kind of time to commit (especially when driving can get really bad during the winter, and I'd probably only be able to go in the evenings), so I don't really have any first hand experience, just stories from other people I've talked to.

I see. If I were to build my own full deck first, what would be my best options? Sometimes I'm not sure what to buy from the start. I actually got really interested in the TCG thanks to a Kotaku article and it seems like the best way to get started (according to that article) is to get a Trainer Kit and a starter deck of some sort. Anything else I should be aware of?

Good thing the leagues I've seen mostly operate on weekend afternoons and evenings, so getting there in time shouldn't be a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back