• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your suggestions for Essentials

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
Pokémon Essentials Suggestions

This thread is for making suggestions of things you would like to see in a future version of Pokémon Essentials. When posting, you should follow these rules:
  • Don't repeat a suggestion that has already been made.
  • Don't report bugs or errors. There is a separate thread for that.
  • This thread is not for asking questions. You should make a new thread for your questions.
  • This thread is not for discussing a particular version of Pokémon Essentials. You can discuss the latest version in this thread instead.
Happy suggesting!

Last edited by a moderator:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
Something I would like to do or see happen would be the RGBG (red, green, blue, grey) colour system when it comes to the tints in PokemonTime & PokemonUtilities to be changed to RGBA(red, green, blue, alpha). This means that I wish to see the grey changed to alpha, thereby making it possible to achieve good results in relation to the tints. I literally have no idea how to use the RGBG system, even with some research. However, finding the area where to change the grey and add alpha functionality instead is something I haven't been able to find. Thoughts on such an addition, and possibly where to start?

Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2023
I propose an alteration to the way encounters are defined. At present, we are given a list of predetermined percentages to which we can assign Pokemon and their levels. I think it would be more user friendly and certainly much more efficient to have users able to add as many or as few lines as they like, adding an extra variable for the percentage then including an error check to determine if the total encounter percentages equal 100. For example:

Route 1
BULBASAUR,1,5,50
SQUIRTLE,1,5,29
CHARMANDER,2,4,20
CHARMANDER,8,9,1

Where the values are, in order, Internal Name, Minimum Level, Maximum Level, and Encounter Rate (Percent). Thoughts?

Edit: I almost forgot, if it's not already possible can the ability to assign a map to more than one "tile" on the town map be included? Something in the vein of Jubilife City is inappropriate to assign just one map tile to. Separating the maps into one "tile" pieces is also a very large inconvenience that may affect user's ability to event scenes and what not. As an extension of that, is it possible to put the "player is here" icon on the map in a specific one of those multiple tiles based on where in the map they are? Thanks for your consideration.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen May 18, 2017
I think most people want more 4th and 5th gen move effects, especially with moves like Uturn, Psyshock, Dragontail, Sucker Punch, and Trick Room which are slightly exotic (and thus tougher for newer programers) but are widely used in official GF releases.

Also, support for boulder pushing puzzles, especially ones like pushing boulders through holes in the floors and onto switches that appeared in gen1 games in most caves, would be very appreciated.

Being able to have multiple roamers of the same species would be cool. Events like having the player clear out a swarm of ghosts from a room would be much easier to pull off.

Ability to set the Ability, Nature and EVs of a trainer's individual pokemon. I think it only pops up in the Battle Frontier in main games and against certain trainers, but it would be cool to do it for important trainers like gym leaders and such to make the game more challenging/customizable.

Icons for physical/special/status next to attacks.

5th Gen experience system. Seems to be a good candidate for Settings.

Last edited:

Eternal Dreamer

Dreaming my way to the top!
Years
  • Age 29
  • USA
  • Seen Feb 4, 2012
Two things that this kit needs:
A scroll bar for bag items, and ESPECIALLY for Debug mode when setting encounters and what-not.
When setting metadata, you can only have one battleback option? Why not have it where you can choose the battleback for whatever tile the encounter will occur on?

In example:
F9 > Set metadata > Battleback >
"Choose a category"
Water
Land
Cave
Rocksmash
(etc.)

Yes?

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
Two things that this kit needs:
A scroll bar for bag items, and ESPECIALLY for Debug mode when setting encounters and what-not.
When setting metadata, you can only have one battleback option? Why not have it where you can choose the battleback for whatever tile the encounter will occur on?

In example:
F9 > Set metadata > Battleback >
"Choose a category"
Water
Land
Cave
Rocksmash
(etc.)

Yes?
Have you tried to use PageUp/PageDown to scroll? Maruno really need to make this feature more clearer.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
Have you tried to use PageUp/PageDown to scroll? Maruno really need to make this feature more clearer.
Please do tell me how this would be done, when half the more common controls in Essentials aren't listed either.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
Please do tell me how this would be done, when half the more common controls in Essentials aren't listed either.
In some event in sample maps or even in the blue screen at Oak "Controls" options.
I even made the icons (and one for F8) in attachment for the use on my game, but I want to share with everyone, even you if you want to put in default kit.

Attachments

• pguppgdn.png
    pguppgdn.png
    1.4 KB · Views: 1,602
  • f8key.png
    f8key.png
    1.3 KB · Views: 1,598

PiaCRT

[i]Orange Dev[/i]
Years
I propose lots of new battle animations. The ones in Essentials (atleast in my version, dunno about the 2 newest releases) are rather dinky...

Ho-oh 112

Advance Scripter
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 8, 2014
Also, support for boulder pushing puzzles, especially ones like pushing boulders through holes in the floors and onto switches that appeared in gen1 games in most caves, would be very appreciated.

Being able to have multiple roamers of the same species would be cool. Events like having the player clear out a swarm of ghosts from a room would be much easier to pull off.

1. I have successfully made a boulder pushing puzzle WITHOUT SCRIPTING, you just need to read the map x/y of the puzzle and when they are correct an autorun/parrellel process runs the effect.

2. I thought this was already possible (didn't check yet...)

3. I would like to see a universal screen like the i-pad and other things it's 1 screen but you can touch(in this case click) on an object and something will happen(mostly used for Guis....) but using these for pokedex scrolling/battles/pokegear it could be better(in terms of features, I really hate using the D-pad in the hand-held games for typing my name/ other processes that may take a while(1 minutes+) excluding battles though...)

D. Lawride

Audi Famam Illius, Scriptor!
Years
I know that the fastest available way to scroll down lists is using Page up and Page Down, but perhaps it would be a good idea to include two key shortcuts like Home and End to go to the beginning/end of the list? Just a suggestion.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
Keep a look that some question threads also have good feature suggestions (like Disabling PokeGear features).

Maybe the debug can have a "refresh map" option? This can be useful when chaging switchs and variables, but need to be a separate option.

Some debug menus like battling a wild pokémon can't be cancelled, can made it cancelable?

venom12

Pokemon Crystal Rain Relased
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
There should be a thing when pokemon is fainted he cant use hm/tm outside of battle.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
There should be a thing when pokemon is fainted he cant use hm/tm outside of battle.
Impractical. Imagine a trainer trapped in one ground tile after the surf pokémon is defeated after hooked some strong pokémon, just a example.

This only can be usable if you limit to moves like Flash.

Pharetra

zzzz
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 23, 2021
How about a Hall of Fame script? It isn't available in the current version of Essentials for as far as I know.

venom12

Pokemon Crystal Rain Relased
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
Ypu should put the sounds effects like in hgss. When you're near water, when walking in grass etc.

D. Lawride

Years
Quick suggestion; last time I checked, the internal name of Pokémon had a character limit to it. Maybe it would be better to either allow the developer to manipulate the character limit or remove it entirely? (Note that I'm referring to the internal name, not nicknames)

I've tried editing it once manually through the scripts, but once it started compiling it was errors galore.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
Quick suggestion; last time I checked, the internal name of Pokémon had a character limit to it. Maybe it would be better to either allow the developer to manipulate the character limit or remove it entirely? (Note that I'm referring to the internal name, not nicknames)

I've tried editing it once manually through the scripts, but once it started compiling it was errors galore.
There are no limits on the lengths of internal names of things, only the display names. I just tried it with BULBASAURBULBASAUR, and it worked just fine.

Even if there was a limit, I can't see why it would be useful to remove it.

D. Lawride

Years
There are no limits on the lengths of internal names of things, only the display names. I just tried it with BULBASAURBULBASAUR, and it worked just fine.

Even if there was a limit, I can't see why it would be useful to remove it.

Oh. My bad then, meant the display names.

Sometimes it's really just the matter of a single character missing in the name because the character limit doesn't allow it. Wouldn't be the first time I've needed to rename some of the Fakemon, for example, because there was a single character missing at the end.

I'm just saying it would allow a little more flexibility for the developers.

zingzags

PokemonGDX creator
Years
I think there should be a way to get variables, and stuff to become part of map names, for example something like [PN]'s Room would become Sally's Room or w.e name is defined as PN, and the same with variables [V23] is variable number 23.

Back