• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Which starter did you choose?

Ostrich

Derpatoligist
Years
I chose water type starters in all of my games. They have a great endurance while maintaining a good offense.

Years
  • Age 117
  • Seen May 11, 2012
Mudkip and Squirtle were awesome. In my other playthroughs I chose Charmander in LG.

sethiey

Probably editing a video
Years
oddly enough i started with pokemon ruby and then worked my way down to red/blue w/e, my first pick was a treecko! I don't know how i got so far with him but he was about level 61 around the 7th gym :3 OP like a boss

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
For LG my choice was Bulbasaur. I only ever got round to playing through that game once but my Bulby was with me the whole time! Such a reliable Pokemon, especially based on the Kanto gyms :3 In Hoenn my first ever starter was Torchic whom was adorable and then evolved and became kinda gross so I was very disappointed. In my latest run through I used Treecko which has surpassed all expectations and looks amazing in all stages! Grass types ftw o/

Avishka

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Nov 13, 2019
in LG i chose Charmander
In HG/SS i chose Cyndaquil
In Ruby i chose Mudkip and Treecko
In Diamond and Pearl i chose Chimchar and
In Black i chose Oshawott.

Years
The best starters for me are:
FireRed-Leaf Green=Squirtle,Bulbasaur
Crystal-Gold-Silver=Cyndiquil
Ruby-Saphirre=Torchic

In some of them i cant even chose which is better so i put two :D

I agree with Sirius who doesnt like Blaziken

Last edited:

Sirius

Wrong Thread.
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 22, 2013
I played through with all 3 but the first one I chose was Torchick and to this day Blaziken is till one of my all time favorite pokemon because of that. I mean, it's a giant, fire breathing, kick-boxing chicken. What's not to love?

Melinda

[b][i][color=#fff]#teamsonia[/color][/i][/b]
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 18, 2022
Treecko (Cappy) in Ruby and Mudkip (Manny) in Emerald.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Oct 5, 2022
I also chose Torchic (Sapphire) and Charmander (FireRed), as they were my favourites. :3

arbok

cobra pokemon
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 10, 2013
I love all starters but I thought Mudkip looked best in Ruby so went with him.
For Fire Red, there were three of us doing a competion. So naturaly I we went for the three diffrent starters and I got Squrtle. Leaf Green I got Bulbasaur but traded Squrtle and Charmander over pretty quickly.

Years
  • DC
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
I had a strong pull to Treecko, more so than from any starter in any other generation. But in my first play through, I let my brain make the decision and picked the competitive battle useful Mudkip. Water ground was hard to pass up.

On my second play through I did use Treecko and I was supremely happy.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
Years
I didn't really care for any of them, if I recall, but I usually used Torchic or Treeko. I never understood the likability of Mudkip.

Years
  • Seen Mar 27, 2014
FR: Charmander/Squirtle, I dont like Bulbasaur.
R/S/E: Torchic - 70% of the time, Mudkip and Treeko- 15% of the time for each.

EarthWolfblade

Returning breeder
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jul 19, 2013
[SIZE="a"]Gen1: Bulbasaur
Gen2: Totodile
Gen3: Treecko
Gen4: Piplup
Gen5: Snivy[/SIZE]

Outkin

OM*G PIKMIN 3!!!
Years
I Bulbasaur (Was convinced that it was hard to catch in the wild >_<)
II Cyndaquil (My pyro side was overactive at this time)
III Mudkip (My first, I thought it looked cool)
IV Turtwig (I thought the other two looked silly
V Tepig (I don't have it yet TBH, but I noticed I had a pattern, grass, fire, water, grass....lets keep it!)

Years
  • Seen Apr 6, 2012
The first few times I played FireRed I chose Charmander, cos you know, they look cool. The first time I played through it as an experienced Pokemon player I chose Bulbasaur. In R/S/E I chose Mudkip, because I leik him.

Last edited:

Dreg

Done after the GT.
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2016
I always seemed to choose a grass starter, so on Sapphire, Treecko was the one I chose. On Ruby, I chose Mudkip.

Back