• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
1. An offset is a specific address of hex code in the ROM. There are FFFFFF (16777215) 16-byte lines of hex in a Pokemon ROM, and each 6-character hex offset refers to a specific point in that hex code.

Actually, there are 0xFFFFFF bytes in a ROM. And technically the "hex offset" is 4-bytes or 8 "characters"/whatever you want to call a nibble.

2. Hex is a type of programming language, in a way. Hex consists of 16 characters, starting at 0 and ending at F. It gets confusing to convert numbers in your head because A=10, B=11, etc, and then 10= 16. A 2-character piece of hex is called a byte, and (I think) each byte is made up of 8 binary digits (0s and 1s).

Not quite. Hexadecimal is a counting system / base 16 (as opposed to the widely used base 10).

4. Open AdvanceMap and click a sprite and its offset is given on the tab on the right side. You can open that offset in a scripting program to look at/edit its script. If you looked at a sprite's offset in a hex editor though, you'd have a hard time making sense of it, as it's a compressed image. You basically need a program to edit sprites themselves.

Not necessarily. Depends on what he means by "sprite." If he's referring to Overworlds, then those are all uncompressed. But yes, a program is preferable in most cases.

5. I don't recall any tutorials on hex editing itself, but I managed to teach myself pretty easily. Just start with other things, and quite a few tutorials for the finer points of hacking will make you do a little bit of hex editing. Once you've done a bit of repointing and things of that nature, you'll start to understand how hex works and it'll become pretty easy.

From the way I look at it, you can't teach hex editing. You can show someone the hexadecimal counting system but how to hex edit depends on what address the hacker is changing. The hacker could be hacking level data, the game's music, move animation graphics, or anything you can think of. Because of that, you can't teach them one thing that will apply to all of them because the numbers at each address will mean different things.

6. I'm not sure (as no move editor ever works on my computer =( ) but I THINK a lot of move-editing programs let you choose if a move is physical or special. I've never had the need to edit moves, so I haven't looked into it in hex or anything like that.

I doubt it seeing how whether a move is physical or special is dependent on the move's type. You're thinking of the 4th generation.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
Sigh... OK, first off, I reccommend you use ruby. There is more support for tools and other stuff.

Don't use Sapphire, use Ruby, because more tools supports it.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

NO

Most good tools have support for any ROM. The reason most people run Ruby over Sapphire is that, crazily enough, it's more popular. More often than not, someone has a Ruby ROM and not a Sapphire ROM. Same applies to FireRed and LeafGreen. The only reason that one is more used is because of that fact: it's more used, meaning more people will have it and thus more people will be able to play it. Sure, they could download a new ROM for only one game, but you'd have to make a pretty damn strong impression to get hordes of people to do that. I, myself, only have a FireRed ROM, a Ruby ROM, and an Emerald ROM. No Sapphire/LeafGreen. ):

Years
  • Seen Apr 14, 2016
Hey does anyone kno if u can make a sprite's size bigger without having to work the details again? i made some pokesprites too small and i need them bigger but when i try it on paint it makes it more blurry. is it possible with photoshop?
thx in advance.

Darthatron

巨大なトロール。
Years
Hey does anyone kno if u can make a sprite's size bigger without having to work the details again? i made some pokesprites too small and i need them bigger but when i try it on paint it makes it more blurry. is it possible with photoshop?
thx in advance.

There is no software that can do that, you'll have to do it manually.

When I edit a script in XSE, how do I get it back into the ROM?

You click the compile button (it looks like a gear)... But if the script is bigger than the original, you'd have to repoint it.

Last edited:

adhdguitar

Newbie Pokémon Hacker
Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2015
You click the compile button (it looks like a gear)... But if the script is bigger than the original, you'd have to repoint it.

But, when I click compile it just saves a text document with some random information.

Edit: Never mind, I got it now. But how do I repoint to add more text?

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years
Thanks for clearing that up Vrai. ^^
Didn't really know the reason why people used FireRed and Ruby so much. :/

I don't want to sound all mean and stuff, but don't say anything if don't know. Please.

Oh, uhm, quick question, my Pokedex is dead and my ROM dies when someone tries to evolve. Is there any way out except for restarting from a backup?

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
Years
I don't want to sound all mean and stuff, but don't say anything if don't know. Please.

Oh, uhm, quick question, my Pokedex is dead and my ROM dies when someone tries to evolve. Is there any way out except for restarting from a backup?

Open your ROM and a free ROM in a Hex Editor and use the compare feature to see which bytes have been replaced. Continue replacing bytes with the ones from the free ROM until you've fixed your problem. Then, memorise your bytes and revert all changes in your ROM and only replace the problem bytes. Wallaa, problem fixed. By the way, this is a gruelling process and can take up to five hours per problem.

Years
Sappy is your best friend here.

Thanks, I've downloaded Sappy. I'm on Windows 7 and I've had to get and register all the '.ocx' stuff and stuff and now that works and it opens, but when I try to load a rom (I've tried Ruby and FireRed) it instantly crashes and says 'Sappy has stopped working'.

Also is it true that Pokemon Emerald has less support for hacking than Ruby/FireRed? Just wondering.

Last edited:
Years
Thanks, I've downloaded Sappy. I'm on Windows 7 and I've had to get and register all the '.ocx' stuff and stuff and now that works and it opens, but when I try to load a rom (I've tried Ruby and FireRed) it instantly crashes and says 'Sappy has stopped working'.

If no-ones got any answers then has any1 got any other programs that can do it?

Collen

I have returned.
Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2015
Is there a way to edit what the badges look like (without that unLZ thing)?

Jonny Buuz

La di da di do di da di dum...
Years
Would it be possible to create an entirely new move? For example, if I wanted to make a move that increased both defense stats and lowered both attack stats, how would I go about doing this?

FireRed (U) rom. Thanks guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back