• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Battle of the Games

Best Main Series Pokemon Game

• Total voters

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
I don't think we've had a thread like this in a while. Vote for your favorite main series Pokemon games - let's see which one comes out on top! Remakes count as individual games, however, paired versions like Black and White won't be counted as separate. Justify your reasoning by posting in this thread!

TheFattestSnorlax

New year, new possibilities
Years
I vote for Red and Blue - the games that started it all! I also liked X and Y as well becuase you can sit on benches it was 3D and the plot was original but good.

Years
Voted based on replay-ability...that seems to be the fairest way to judge.

1. G/S/C 2. R/S/E 3. B/W
Honorable Mentions
4. XY 5. BW2 6. Yellow 7. HGSS

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
My favorites are Black/White and Black2/White2. I really like Gen 5. I like the story of Black and White, I like a lot of the Pokemon introduced in Gen 5, I like all the little features Black2/White2 have in them (PokeStar Studios, anyone?), and most of all, I like how for once Game Freak tried to deviate from the formula that Pokemon has developed.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Nov 14, 2023
Black and White 2. The soundtrack is incredible, the continuation of the story was an excellent and refreshing idea instead of just an expansion pack. The Pokemon World tournament is extremely fun, addicting, and nostalgic. It is certainly my favorite Pokemon game of all time. Though maybe Alpha Sapphire might take that place since Sapphire was originally my favorite Pokemon game before White 2 came out.

Years
My top two are still Black 2/White 2 and X/Y.

The former for its solid variety, some nice conveniences and fun new areas that were thrown into the region, Move Tutors, nice aesthetic changes such as all trainers getting their own animated sprites and the battle backgrounds with things like grass moving, a villain who goes beyond what the franchise had seen beforehand, and (to me) a Champion with a very cool concept and epic spices thrown into her fight. Challenge Mode makes the big fights more enjoyable, too. And let's not forget the post-game, like the PWT, Black Tower/White Treehollow, southeastern Unova and a few other cool cameos.

And the latter for its even bigger variety, the awesome jump to full 3D, and cool new features like Pokémon-Amie and the fact that breeding is made easier than ever. I wasn't too thrilled for it at first but man I did not think I would enjoy them that much, but I did.

Years
My favorites are Black/White and Black2/White2. I really like Gen 5. I like the story of Black and White, I like a lot of the Pokemon introduced in Gen 5, I like all the little features Black2/White2 have in them (PokeStar Studios, anyone?), and most of all, I like how for once Game Freak tried to deviate from the formula that Pokemon has developed.

You forgot to mention the PWT! That needs to come back!

I don't understand the hate for gen 5 myself. To me it was just refreshing and balanced in every sense. There is a reason why Famitsu gave them a perfect score, bias aside.

The pixel animations are just so charming, and it easily had the best gym leaders, gyms, and music.

I'd also say it's either first or second as far as newly introduced pokemon go.

I actually kind of want to play it right now, but I am holding off until I have a fun challenge/event to do.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
There are a lot of Pokémon games I like, so in an attempt to limiting myself, I've voted for only there.

First and foremost would be Emerald version. I'm a huge fan of Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire, and loved each and every minute of their play-through. This one, however, brings all of the best things from both those games into one, and top it all off, adds a few extra. Loved how they'd switched up May's and Brendan's outfits here, and introduction of Battle Frontier was very, very awesome. When I'd first visited this place, I've spent almost about an hour exploring, to see if I could find something interesting and whatnot. It was a very fun experience.

Up next, is HeartGold and SoulSilver. Similarly to above, I love Gold, Silver, and Crystal, and these two versions include all content that they contain, but in modern-day graphics and mechanics. They've also added a ton of new features here, with one of my most favorites being following Pokémon; adored seeing one of my team members walking alongside while travelling. I'm not sure if such a thing will ever return, but I hope it does at some point in future!

As for third, it's Pokémon X and Y. These two had given us ability to customize our players, which is something that I've been wanting to do for a long, long time. Only thing I dislike, however, is length of their story, which was sort of short. If it were longer, I probably would have liked it more.

Back