• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen 4th Gen Help Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Fourth Generation Help Thread

Before asking your questions, please take a look at our FAQ And Known Information sticky.

Did you not find the answer you are looking for within the Fourth Generation FAQ? Then, you may ask your questions regarding the fourth generation games (DPPt/HGSS) here. Or, if you happen to know the answer to a question being asked, feel free to supply the user(s) with the given answer. For reference's sake, you can visit the old HG/SS Help Threads here and here, and the old DPPt Help Thread here.

Thread Reminder

This thread is for questions & answers only. Having a thank you post is not necessary and will probably end up being deleted. It basically clutters the thread, and isn't needed. If you do wish to say thank you, then do it in the same post as your question, or VM the person/people who answered. Well, ask (or answer) away!​

Last edited by a moderator:
Years
i know that in black/white reshiram, zekrom, victini, etc can't be used online but in hg/ss can the legendaries be battled with online?

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen today
Well, I can't offer a perfect answer, but in Pt/Hg/Ss if you play Battle Frontier online the rules of normal BF will ensue so the following will be banned:

Mewtwo
Mew
Lugia
Ho-oh
Celebi
Kyogre
Groudon
Rayquaza
Jirachi
Deoxys (all formes)
Rotom (formes. Normal Rotom is allowed)
Dialga
Palkia
Giratina (All formes)
Phione
Manaphy
Darkrai
Shaymin (all formes)
Arceus
Spiky-Eared Pichu
Eggs

Hope this helps :)

FrostPheonix

Eternity.
Years
i know that in black/white reshiram, zekrom, victini, etc can't be used online but in hg/ss can the legendaries be battled with online?

As said above, that goes with most legends on the battle frontier. Should you play in the wifi part of the pokecenter (forgot what its called...), there is no such restriction.

Years
Hello. I'm trying to hatch a lapras with the ability of water absorb and nature is jolly. So far I'm not getting any luck. Oh genders does not matter. And a egg move of DD. Is there any other way to do it. I've also tried with dittos.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
Hello. I'm trying to hatch a lapras with the ability of water absorb and nature is jolly. So far I'm not getting any luck. Oh genders does not matter. And a egg move of DD. Is there any other way to do it. I've also tried with dittos.

First off, make sure one of the parents has a Jolly Nature, it does not matter which, just as long as one has it. Once you have a Jolly nature'd parent, give it an Everstone, this gives you a 50% chance of passing down the Jolly nature. As for the ability, that's luck.

Actually, for online play any Pokemon can be used. \: Zekrom/Victini are banned from standard play (OU and below) and Victini is banned from UU and below. The Pokemon that are banned from the standard play in HG/SS are the Pokemon that are placed in the Uber tier for that generation (4th) so it would be; Mewtwo, Mew, Ho-Oh, Lugia, Latios, Latias, Rayquaza, Groudon, Kyogre, Wobbuffet, Wynaut, Deoxys (All forms), Palkia, Dialga, Giratina, Giratina-O, Shaymin (Sky Form), Manaphy, Arceus, Darkrai and Garchomp.

Last edited:
Years

I'm no breeder, son, but I'll see what I can do. For a Jolly Dragon Dancing Lapras, you'll want a female Lapras as the mother and a Jolly Male Horsea [or member of the Horsea evolutionary family] with Dragon Dance [learned by Horsea at Lv. 38] as the Father and make sure the Horsea is holding an everstone. I honestly have no idea how to receive Water Absorb on your Lapras, but it may help if the Lapras you're breeding with has Water Absorb as its ability.

Years
  • Seen Aug 10, 2011
In my Pokemon Pearl game, it's recently come to my attention that when my Machamp uses Seismic Toss, although it is said to be a Fighting Move, if I use it on pokemon that fighting is normally super effective on, (say, a Bibarrel or something) it is not super effective. I could use Cross Chop or Karate Chop on the pokemon, and it would be super effective, but for some reason, Seismic Toss is not. It's been confusing me for a while. Can anyone explain this?

PokéSwimmer

Keeping time time time
Years
In my Pokemon Pearl game, it's recently come to my attention that when my Machamp uses Seismic Toss, although it is said to be a Fighting Move, if I use it on pokemon that fighting is normally super effective on, (say, a Bibarrel or something) it is not super effective. I could use Cross Chop or Karate Chop on the pokemon, and it would be super effective, but for some reason, Seismic Toss is not. It's been confusing me for a while. Can anyone explain this?

Seismic Toss does damage equivalent to the level your Pokémon is regardless of typing. For example, a level 50 Machamp's Seismic toss will always do 50 hit-points of damage.

Years
Hi, When SRing for a shiny starter in Pearl, when can you first see its shininess? Like in the pokeball or in the first battle?

bobandbill

one more time
Years
It'd be in the first battle - afaik the only starters that will show up as shiny in the 'choose a starter!' screen/pokeballs are the HGSS ones.

Years
  • Seen May 17, 2016
Kingdra or Politoed? (HG/SS)

Howdy. I'm midway through a Nuzlocke of SoulSilver at the moment. I lost my Water Pokemon (a Vaporeon) against Clair, and then caught a Poliwag in Blackthorn City straight afterwards. I evolved her into a Politoed and she's currently on my team. Brave nature, Water Absorb as the ability.

Trouble is, on the way to beating Lugia I then caught a Horsea, Bashful nature, Swift Swim ability. I now really can't make my mind up as to which to use. They're both awesome Pokemon able to use Surf and Waterfall well, as well as Ice Beam. Obviously Kingdra only has 1 weakness (not the best weakness when I've got to beat Lance), but Politoed only has 2, and is better defensively.

Help me!

EDIT: I really like both of them as Pokemon and would love to use either, but there's no point having 2 Water-types on my team, even if Kingdra is part-Dragon. I'd just really like someone to choose for me!

Kamikl

Elite 4
Years
  • Seen Jun 2, 2012
Kingdra is more powerful, also, Politoed's level up moveset is quite small.
If you want more of a challenge, use Politoed, but if you want to breeze through the game, use kingdra.

Years
All though I have kingdra for my wifi battles. I like them both as well. I would trained them both, but unfortunately my 4th gen crashes that I can't play.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
I'll move this to the Help thread so people can give more opinions if they wish, seeing this is a question thread.

PikachuGuy

THOSE CHU'Z
Years
Aloha, everyone.

I am wanting to complete my dream team and all I need is Mew. I was wondering if you can buy Diamond or Pearl and connect to Pokemon Ranch and get Mew that way, THEN transfer him to Diamond or Pearl and then transfer to Heart Gold. Would that work? I don't have wifi, so I can't trade with anyone.

Also, to Mods: Feel free to move this post to another thread (if it's in the wrong thread).

bobandbill

one more time
Years
It's in the right thread.

And yes, that would work as long as you have a 2nd DS to transfer from DP to HGSS. Just make sure it's not Platinum as that would not work with Ranch (lame, I know).

Flashmeteor

Awkward silences are the best.
Years
Is it possible to get a Shiny Stone in HGSS before beating the E4?

Also would having both Crobat and Togekiss in my team be too much of a disadvantage?

.AhKeno*

~~~~*
Years
What's good place to train lvl 23s in SS, without sharing(like not going to th pkmleague and swtiching)??

and also =D! whats a good moveset for a Nidorino, yea Nidorino not Nidoking lol.??

Years
What's good place to train lvl 23s in SS, without sharing(like not going to th pkmleague and swtiching)??

and also =D! whats a good moveset for a Nidorino, yea Nidorino not Nidoking lol.??

I'd say route 48 and the Ice Path, similiar level pokemon to the pokemon you want to train. On route 48 its all Grass type plus Lickitung and Ice Path has Swinub, Jynx, Delibird and Golbats. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back