• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Equivalent Exchange! Fullmetal Alchemist Club

mikey

Discord Lead
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
Awesome! Will definitely try to catch some of these livestreams. I'm thinking that Saturday will probably be my best chance to participate. Maybe Friday too for the evening ones. Looking forward to it!

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
Unfortunately I don't think I'll ever be able to make it to the 2PM or 6PM Friday ones because of school, and I could MAYBE make it to the 9PM Friday one if it's not this weekend, though I'm not 100% as something might pop up. I could probably make it to the Saturday ones any weekend though. Sorry, dumb timezones ;;

Years
I'd like to join the club!

Username: hughes
Favorite character(s): Hughes (duh) in FMA, and Mustang in FMAB.
Discussion topic: Are there any characters you wanted to get more screentime/to see more of, be it in the original Fullmetal Alchemist or Brotherhood? Why? One of my favorite minor characters is Major Miles, and even though we learn a bit about his past and motivations, I always enjoyed when he was on the screen and would never have minded seeing more of him.

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
Hey guys! The livestream starts in about 45 minutes. Doesn't seem like anyone who posted in here'll be joining the first one, though I'll keep the stream up, in case anyone does attend it :)

http://www.livestream.com/poclivestreams <--- livestream channel

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
Welcome to the club, hughes! Major Miles is a cool character because his voice actor voices Krieg in Borderlands 2 hottt. I don't remember much about the Briggs arc, though. Need to rewatch those bits. :3

Awesome, our livestream is going! I'm gonna post some thoughts on each one. :)

Episode 1
Spoiler:

Episode 2
Good good, some parts were creepy and sad, though. :(

Edit: Also, when I'm the host, I'll be using my Livestream account at http://www.livestream.com/twilightblade
I may be late in starting the 6PM show. I was supposed to pick up my paycheck today and I haven't. >.>;

Last edited:
Years
Welcome, guys! Hoo boy I must have somehow missed the influx of new members. Glad that we're havin' all these fans join us in the club~

The first livestream went great but I was sadly out taking brother to karate for the next one so I missed that. D8 But the early batch of episodes we watched during the 2PM EST stream were great - my first time watching it dubbed so that was neat.
Spoiler:

Years
Username: BlahISuck
Favorite character(s): Winry Rockbell (HNNGGGG), Roy Mustang (DOUBLE HNNGGGG)
Answer a topic:

How/when did you get into the FMA series? What are your overall thoughts on the manga/anime?

Back in 7th grade there was a friend of mine super into Japanese culture (can't call her weeaboo cuz she's Chinese, and besides way too cool for the label) and she kinda sorta got all of us into anime and manga. FMA obviously had it's appeal as shonen, but it was also intellectually very stimulating with its references to history (Amestris as interwar Germany), philosophy (morality and ethics, individual beliefs versus collective responsibilities), crossing over science and the supernatural and spiritual (alchemy), as well as having awesome art and design (I love those military uniform gaaaah for a military nut back in the day it was quite the source of nerdgasms)!

If you were a state alchemist, what would you want your code name to be?

The Red Alchemist would be pretty cool :P The Blood Alchemist >:) The Stormtrooper Alchemist :P The Dreadknight Alchemist :)

Have you read the FMA manga? If so, did you read it through until the end or was the anime your preference?

This is all I know of the FMA franchise. I've only read however many volumes were available at the library. I don't think there were many between grade 7-9. I think I gave up after I wasn't sure when the next volumes were coming in.

Years
Username: Everest
Favorite character(s): Hughes, Mustang, Edward
Answer a topic: There are so many good quotes, but I think I'll go with one from Mustang, first anime series, subbed version: "There is no such thing as perfection. The world itself is imperfect. That's what makes it so beautiful". I like this one very much because it sort of compresses one of the main themes of the series: learning to accept life as it is and finding those important things - simple beauty, friendship, love - in a world that maybe isn't what we always want it to be, but where the struggles we all go through and the "scars" we get during the journey is what in the end makes it all worthwhile. The fact that we are going to die someday is what provide life with meaning and purpose.

Years
Username: Everest
Favorite character(s): Hughes, Mustang, Edward
Answer a topic: There are so many good quotes, but I think I'll go with one from Mustang, first anime series, subbed version: "There is no such thing as perfection. The world itself is imperfect. That's what makes it so beautiful". I like this one very much because it sort of compresses one of the main themes of the series: learning to accept life as it is and finding those important things - simple beauty, friendship, love - in a world that maybe isn't what we always want it to be, but where the struggles we all go through and the "scars" we get during the journey is what in the end makes it all worthwhile. The fact that we are going to die someday is what provide life with meaning and purpose.

Welcome to the club! Super sorry for the delay in adding you. n~n;

But that is a gorgeous quote, I agree - FMA is full of touching quotes and moments. It's part of why it's such a good show for people to watch. Makes you realize that you should appreciate the little things. :)

Years
Bringing this club back to action!

We all have characters we dislike, be it a little or a lot - who is your least favorite character in FMA and why? It doesn't have to be a character you necessarily dislike if you've no one so feel free to let us know who some of the more forgettable or less enjoyable characters are to you.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
We all have characters we dislike, be it a little or a lot - who is your least favorite character in FMA and why?
Envy. He went out of his way to wreck other people's lives in the most tormenting way possible. First with starting the civil war, then with Roy/Hughes and still using Ms. Hughes image, and IIRC getting Marco to decide between the world and his tiny village... I feel like the rest of the homonculi would fight and use their powers when necessary; they didn't go around starting drama.

Years
We all have characters we dislike, be it a little or a lot - who is your least favorite character in FMA and why?

Envy. He's a lil ♥♥♥♥♥.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years

A tie between Envy and Scar. Both characters literally tortured pretty much everyone in their own way. With Scar, he's willing to never give up on destroying the Elric brothers. His evillness is just....menacingly evil omg. ;;

BakingBluePotatoe

The Red Death Alchemist
Years

Kimblee
Literally, the only thing I like about him is that white suit he likes to wear. That suit is badass. :p
Otherwise... he's far too insane to be likable at all.

At least Scar has his moments where he seems like a tormented human... and Envy is just so ridiculous that he's one of those villains I "love to hate"

----

I just watched all the 4koma theatre, and ASLKDFJARWLSKGJDLKCXUVPOIEARUT THOSE WERE HILARIOUS! x3

Then I watch Alchemists vs Homunculi... WHOOOOOOO! That was the greatest thing EVER! /RoyMustangFangirl *SQUEEEEE*

Last edited:

ACupOfTea

Tea Enthusiast
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Apr 17, 2014
Username: ACupOfTea
Favorite character(s): I love all of them to death. I do really like Roy and Riza though.
Answer a topic: I got into FMA after beginning to watch Anime. At the time I only watched the Anime I could find on Netflix, so I found the original series there. I thought the first few episodes were kind of weird, but I was pretty interested in the show, and the rest is history. :3

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
Hah, yeah, it was the only good Anime I could watch right when anime was barely being introduced on Netflix (now we have a lot of anime now but FMA will still be the good one. I'm so glad Brotherhood is there, that series always tears me up. ;;

Welcome btw!~

Not really a topic-topic, but I wanted to ask...has anyone watched the FMA movie The Secret Star of Milos? How is it?

ACupOfTea

Tea Enthusiast
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Apr 17, 2014
Thanks! I hope more people start to post in here. ^-^

I started watching Milos, but then I had to fast forward a ton because it was boring me. There are lots of other people who really liked the movie though.

Back