Community

The PokéCommunity

We are still working on a better slogan!

Visit Index

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Research & Development
Notices

Research & Development Got a well-founded knack with ROM hacking? Love reverse-engineering the Pokémon games? Or perhaps you love your assembly language. This is the spot for polling and gathering your ideas, and then implementing them! Share your hypothesis, get ideas from others, and collaborate to create!
Research & Development programs in this forum are subject to moderator approval before they are displayed.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old August 20th, 2014, 02:27 AM
Shiny Hilbert

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGoJJTech View Post
this wouldn't work for many reasons.
First it would cause a delay in each move you make
second it doesn't support ledges or scripts that move you
third surfing isn't supported
fourth it takes too much space.
fifth it wouldn't work on changing maps
I think there is one that support ledge
Old August 28th, 2014, 01:04 PM
Shiny Quagsire
どないやねん, ヤドン

So a while back I posted a video of a follow me I had done for the heck of it, and since I haven't made much of any progress on it for a while I'd figure I'd release what I had and see where it goes. The code can be found on my GitHub here along with instructions in the README.md and the asm files for proper modification and hooking. It should be noted that there's a few issues, namely ledges and missing hooks that I have yet to add (ie running). For a basic follow me though, it should work fine. It should also be noted that this replaces the "Copy Player" movement type for NPCs in A-Map. The total size is under 0x200 bytes so it's very compact and easy to insert, even for beginners.

Old September 24th, 2014, 03:26 PM
Shiny Hilbert

If someone make some progress please share it with us ^.^
Old 4 Weeks Ago, 01:23 PM
Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny Quagsire View Post
So a while back I posted a video of a follow me I had done for the heck of it, and since I haven't made much of any progress on it for a while I'd figure I'd release what I had and see where it goes. The code can be found on my GitHub here along with instructions in the README.md and the asm files for proper modification and hooking. It should be noted that there's a few issues, namely ledges and missing hooks that I have yet to add (ie running). For a basic follow me though, it should work fine. It should also be noted that this replaces the "Copy Player" movement type for NPCs in A-Map. The total size is under 0x200 bytes so it's very compact and easy to insert, even for beginners.
The code you posted on your GitHub doesn't function like the video; the OW collides with the player and thus leaves a 1 tile gap while walking. Could you please upload the needed byte changes onto the repo so that we can make this functional? GoGo said you have it working in your ROM.
Old 4 Weeks Ago, 03:00 PM
Shiny Quagsire
どないやねん, ヤドン

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touched View Post
The code you posted on your GitHub doesn't function like the video; the OW collides with the player and thus leaves a 1 tile gap while walking. Could you please upload the needed byte changes onto the repo so that we can make this functional? GoGo said you have it working in your ROM.
I believe I mentioned this, but the solution I used in the video was to remove 100% of collision detection. I did this for demonstration purposes, but my original intent was to exclude the following players from collision between the player and itself. I'm trying to find the modification I made to achieve this but my IRC logs aren't showing anything unfortunately.

EDIT: Did a diff, if you replace the 0E at 0005BBDB with 20 you get walk through anything hax, which includes overworlds as well (and just about everything).

Last edited by Shiny Quagsire; 4 Weeks Ago at 05:56 PM.
Old 4 Weeks Ago, 02:20 AM
Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny Quagsire View Post
I believe I mentioned this, but the solution I used in the video was to remove 100% of collision detection. I did this for demonstration purposes, but my original intent was to exclude the following players from collision between the player and itself. I'm trying to find the modification I made to achieve this but my IRC logs aren't showing anything unfortunately.

EDIT: Did a diff, if you replace the 0E at 0005BBDB with 20 you get walk through anything hax, which includes overworlds as well (and just about everything).
Okay, thanks. I thought it might be something like that. I'm probably going to modify the collision detection algorithm so it ignores the NPC's and map boundaries, as well as the player for that behaviour alone.
Old 4 Weeks Ago, 06:40 AM
LocksmithArmy
Mew!

Quote:
Okay, thanks. I thought it might be something like that. I'm probably going to modify the collision detection algorithm so it ignores the NPC's and map boundaries, as well as the player for that behaviour alone.
like a check, if an NPC is set to 'copy player', it ignores collision? Cause we still want the player to bump into stuff.

Last edited by LocksmithArmy; 4 Weeks Ago at 12:55 PM.
Old 4 Weeks Ago, 12:44 PM
Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocksmithArmy View Post
ke a check, if an NPC is set to copy player, it ignores collision? Cause we still want the player to bump into stuff.
I'm going to modify the collision algorithm of only that NPC with that behaviour set. The player will still collide with everything, bar the NPC that is following him/her.
Old 4 Weeks Ago, 12:55 PM
LocksmithArmy
Mew!

Quote:
I'm going to modify the collision algorithm of only that NPC with that behaviour set. The player will still collide with everything, bar the NPC that is following him/her.
when you do this will you be publishing your work?
Old 4 Weeks Ago, 06:05 PM
Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocksmithArmy View Post
when you do this will you be publishing your work?
I'll open source it on my GitHub. I have a number of other projects to take care of though, so It'll take a while for me to get round to doing this.
Old 4 Weeks Ago, 04:10 AM
Ksiazek Bartlomiej
Rejishan awake...

Nature: Hardy
Good luck with your attemps.
- Thonsu Region will never die when Rejishan take care about them. Even the evilnesse of Team Mystic do not destroy land of Thonsu.

POKEMON DIRTY SUN - Comming Soon.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links