• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Modern AIDS

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 17, 2024
In the year of 2015, HIV/AIDS is still in epidemic levels, but there are now treatments that can at least halt the effects of the virus, providing a quality of life deemed impossible just 15 years ago. Many with the disease are able to live reasonably full and active lives - if they can afford treatment, that is. We are on the way to possibly having a cure within the next 5 to 10 years, but until then, we have to keep an eye on the continued social effects of the virus: the stigma.

• To what extent do you believe the fear & stigma of HIV/AIDS is valid?
  • At what point is the fear illogical, given the advances in treatment available today?
  • How can we combat the stigma that is so prevalent across society?
  • What is the best way to educate a person on the subject?
  • Any other thoughts you may have on the matter.

Years
HIV/AIDS is still a fearsome disease, even if there are increasingly effective treatments for it. Much of the stigma is rooted in false beliefs, but I think it's irresponsible for people to call the fear of HIV/AIDS illogical. HAART treatments cost thousands of dollars, and I doubt there'd be a cure for the next 5 to 10 years. We might figure out what is necessary for a cure, but then we'd have to initiate clinical trials and those take time. According to various internet sources, it takes about 10-15 years for a drug to go from discovery to market. Even if we did develop a drug, let alone decipher the biological mechanism behind a potential cure, in 5 years, it'd still be 2030 before you have a cure that can be delivered to patients. I'm all for eliminating the stigma, and placing society in a position where it doesn't have to fear HIV/AIDS, but I don't believe in false hope.

As for educating people, I'm a bit pessimistic. I believe this issue was more of a hot topic around 5-10 years ago, but maybe that's just me. Personally, I think the cause has lost ground to other social justice issues in the public attention span. Rape is popular, feminism might kinda be popular? LGBT representation in the media is popular, but I haven't heard anybody talk about HIV/AIDS lately.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
Our public health system in Brazil isn't that good, but one huge benefit we have is to offer AIDS medicine for free, to EVERY citizen in the country. Brazil is one of the leading countries in preventing and fighting AIDS. I wouldn't trade this benefit for anything.

Years
I think it's pretty cool to see the "morning after" HIV treatment, which boasts a 85% chance of reversing HIV infections immediately after transmission (up to 84 hours I believe?) Though, this treatment is sort of hush-hush, expensive, and a hassle to get a hold of (not to mention, it can provide a false sense of security).

Back