• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you think DW Politoed and Ninetales will be banned?

Zaroas

Dragon's Might
Years
186.png
38.png
Meet the NEW Politoed and Ninetales

If you've played Generation 5, either on PO or the Gary Oak server on Shoddy, I'm sure you've run into two Pokemon in particular that aren't Tyranitar or Doryuuzu (If you're playing on the DW ladder on PO, of course). These two Pokemon are Politoed and Ninetales. If you've never played Gen 5, I'm sure you're thinking, "Heatran > Ninetales and Starmie/Milotic/Suicune > Politoed lolololol!" We all would have, if Politoed and Ninetales didn't gain new abilities in the Dream World. Yes, when caught in the Dream World, Politoed gets the Drizzle ability and Ninetales gets the Drought ability. This means that Politoed can automatically create permanent Rain and Ninetales can create permanent Sun (Unless cancelled out by another auto-weather inducer's weather such as Tyranitar). This is game changing. Remember, however, that it's not the Pokemon that are game changing - It's the weather they induce. If you don't know the effects of these weather conditions, go on Smogon or Bulbapedia or something. I can't seem to find them.

I personally think the two will be banned. I remember when everyone was suspect testing Lv.1 Kyogre and Lv.1 Groundon to see how game changing they would be, and they were still banned because of the weather they caused. These two new Pokemon are no different. However, it will take some more testing to find out.

So, what do you think?

(D_A, feel free to merge this with the Gen V - Metagame Speculation Thread if you feel it should be done.)
Note that Smogon does not recognize unreleased DW Pokemon, although this thread is to state your opinion of whether or not you think these two DW Pokemon will be banned.

Years
  • Seen May 9, 2012
No. Then we would have to ban Aboma, Tar, and Hippo as well.

luke

Master of the Elements
Years
No. Then we would have to ban Aboma, Tar, and Hippo as well.

Rain and Sun have very different effects on the metagame since they boost the power of moves while granting Speed/Power/etc boosts.

If a "ban" is going to occur, it will be on Drought on Drizzle, not on Politoed and Ninetales.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen yesterday
No they wont be banned.

Tyranitar (who can Pursuit Ninetales to remove it from the game totally), Aboma and Hippow outlast both usually. Ninetales is also SR weak. Its just another weather type for people to use basically, nothing special. We also have Pokemon who wall entire rain and sun teams see : Nattorei and Latias respectively as a blind example.

That level 1 test was also in advance, aka a totally different gen. Nothing from that test holds water now.

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I don't think that Ninetales and Politoed will be banned because in Gen IV, Drought and Drizzle were exclusive to Groudon and Kyogre, respectively. Both Pokemon are in the Uber envirionment. Now that they gained those abilities, the lower tiers can experience permanent weather not named Sandstorm or Hail.

Years
no, that ability would make such difference on metagame, are more powerful pokemon that can face those two

Back