• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

A quick question...and please rate my team!

Years
  • Seen Jan 27, 2014
RMT: My (Probably Filled With Mistakes) Team

Hello!
Please rate my team...I guess there will be some problems with it, so tell me the stuff I have to fix to make this team work.

Hydreigon
Item: Choice Scarf
Nature: Timid
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Moveset: Dragon Pulse / Flamethrower / U-turn / Focus Blast
Hydreigon's...well, an attacker. That's all I can say.

Starmie
Item: Choice Specs
Nature: Modest
Ability: Natural Cure
Moveset: Surf / Ice Beam / Thunderbolt / Trick
Starmie's...well, an attacker. That's all I can say.

Magnezone
Item: Choice Scarf
Nature: Timid
Ability: Magnet Pull
Moveset: Thunderbolt / Flash Cannon / Volt Switch / Hidden Power Fire
Magnezone's a partner to Hydreigon, that traps Steel-types that can wall Hydreigon...and eliminates them cleanly with Hidden Power Fire.

Claydol
Item: Leftovers
Nature: Bold
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Moveset: Rapid Spin / Stealth Rock / Earth Power / Toxic
Claydol's the team's lead, to set up Stealth Rock as early as possible. Not only that, it's a Rapid Spinner, which I don't have in my team. Since I'm using many Choice users in this team, Claydol's an important part of my team.

Volcarona
Item: Chesto Berry
Nature: Modest
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 160 HP / 252 SpA / 96 Spe
Moveset: Quiver Dance / Rest / Fire Blast / Bug Buzz
Volcarona's a partner to a Pokemon in this team, which I don't recall very much.

Ferrothorn
Item: Shed Shell
Nature: Relaxed
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD (IVs: 0 Spe)
Moveset: Spikes / Stealth Rock / Gyro Ball / Power Whip
I'm using Ferrothorn as a Grass-type in my team and as a partner to Claydol, it seems. It can set Spikes and also set Stealth Rock, when needed.

Thank you!
EDIT: Are there two Pokemon that can take Ferrothorn and Claydol's place?

EDIT 2: I'm building a rain team right now...I've got Politoed to trigger the rain...Maybe a Tentacruel to spin the hazards away and set up one of its own, or should I replace it with a Starmie and let another Pokemon do the hazard part?
There's a Toxicroak to absorb Toxic Spikes when required (not really required, with Tentacruel and all) and to abuse the rain, maybe?
Ludicolo to abuse the rain, like Toxicroak...and two more Pokemon. I need a Pokemon that can set up Stealth Rock...and maybe use something that can say "I wish Politoed's HP is healed!" that is not legendary.
Anything for this one?

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Make Starmie Timid. It needs the Speed, since Choice Specs is already boosting its Special Attack.

How about switching Ferrothorn's Stealth Rock for Leech Seed? It could use the extra recovery. Claydol is already setting up Stealth Rock for you.

Give Hydreigon Draco Meteor over Dragon Pulse. Sure, the Special Attack drop is annoying, but that's what switching is for, since Choice Pokemon aren't meant to stay in battle for long.

Years
  • Seen Jan 27, 2014
Make Starmie Timid. It needs the Speed, since Choice Specs is already boosting its Special Attack.

How about switching Ferrothorn's Stealth Rock for Leech Seed? It could use the extra recovery. Claydol is already setting up Stealth Rock for you.

Give Hydreigon Draco Meteor over Dragon Pulse. Sure, the Special Attack drop is annoying, but that's what switching is for, since Choice Pokemon aren't meant to stay in battle for long.
Starmie: Erm, maybe not...actually, I will get this in a giveaway, and I can't change the nature (it would be hacking it)...
Ferrothorn and Claydol: Maybe you're right...
Hydreigon: I guess so, but a friend in Bulbagarden would suggest against my current set, that uses a Scarf.

Musica

PPPPPDPPPPP
Years
You could try to have a Timid Starmie. It's better than Modest in almost all ways.
Specs > Scarf on Hydreigon, 98 base speed is almost fast enough to counter those you'd like to break. I'm not sure which your lead is, but I think Claydol would be a better lead than Ferrothorn. You may also want a Pokemon that's not trapped by a single move and a physical attacker.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
@ The bottom part: Instead of two Pokemon, you could always go for one Pokemon that could go for the place of two? :3 Mainly because I'm kinda noticing that depending on which set Terrakion runs, it can kinda put yourself in a difficult situation since it basically can take out most of your team.

Since technically if you wanted something that can set up and spin, the main options you really have are...

Forretress@Leftovers / Shed Shell
Relaxed / Sassy
252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD OR 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SpD (depending if you want physically or specially defensive)
Sturdy
- Toxic Spikes
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake / Volt Switch / Gyro Ball

OR

Tentacruel@Leftovers
Bold
252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Rain Dish
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Protect / Ice Beam

Other than that, there aren't many others that can do that job for you, other than giving Starmie rapid spin and just keeping it at Ferrothorn with both Spikes & SR, or SR and Leech Seed, which'll still give you a spot for a spare Pokemon either way.

Aaand for Terrakion (and the fact that you lack priority as well as physical attackers meaning Chansey/Blissey will slowly destroy you), you could go with Scizor, which would OHKO Terrakion (if you chose to go with one of the above two, or putting rapid spin on Starmie):

Scizor@Choice Band
Adamant
248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Technician
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Pursuit / Quick Attack

Aaand since you have so many choiced users already, you could always use LO on Starmie, allowing it to serve as a spinner and not be locked into a single attack while doing so:

Starmie@Life Orb
Timid
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Natural Cure
- Hydro Pump / Surf
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Rapid Spin

Years
  • Seen Jan 27, 2014
@ The bottom part: Instead of two Pokemon, you could always go for one Pokemon that could go for the place of two? :3 Mainly because I'm kinda noticing that depending on which set Terrakion runs, it can kinda put yourself in a difficult situation since it basically can take out most of your team.

Since technically if you wanted something that can set up and spin, the main options you really have are...

Forretress@Leftovers / Shed Shell
Relaxed / Sassy
252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD OR 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SpD (depending if you want physically or specially defensive)
Sturdy
- Toxic Spikes
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake / Volt Switch / Gyro Ball

OR

Tentacruel@Leftovers
Bold
252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Rain Dish
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Protect / Ice Beam

Other than that, there aren't many others that can do that job for you, other than giving Starmie rapid spin and just keeping it at Ferrothorn with both Spikes & SR, or SR and Leech Seed, which'll still give you a spot for a spare Pokemon either way.

Aaand for Terrakion (and the fact that you lack priority as well as physical attackers meaning Chansey/Blissey will slowly destroy you), you could go with Scizor, which would OHKO Terrakion (if you chose to go with one of the above two, or putting rapid spin on Starmie):

Scizor@Choice Band
Adamant
248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Technician
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Pursuit / Quick Attack

Aaand since you have so many choiced users already, you could always use LO on Starmie, allowing it to serve as a spinner and not be locked into a single attack while doing so:

Starmie@Life Orb
Timid
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Natural Cure
- Hydro Pump / Surf
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Rapid Spin
Sooo, what I have got to do is...
Use your Starmie set, change Ferrothorn's set (use Stealth Rock and Leech Seed, for recovery, because Ferrothorn will use Shed Shell) and use Scizor in place of Claydol.
Right? Or...can you use Forretress to use Stealth Rock and Rapid Spin? Change Ferrothorn, because even Smogon says Forretress is, and will still be the best hazard-laying/spinning Pokemon (is this right?).

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Yeah pretty much. I believe it'll let you use Toxic Spikes/Rapid Spin/SR (just tested inputting all three and no pop-ups, so it should work) so instead of opting for Spikes (on Forry that is) you can go with SR which is more useful most of the time @ Dragonite/Volcarona etc.

Musica

PPPPPDPPPPP
Years
You can also make slight changes on Forry to maximize its awesomeness.

Stealth Rock, Toxic Spikes / Spikes, Rapid Spin, and Payback.

Why Payback?
It gets rid of almost all common spin blockers, like Gengar.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Mar 26, 2024
Just a note, Payback has been nerfed and doesnt hit for base 100 power on switch ins anymore meaning its weak as dirt. Mostly why Forry has lost most of its usefulness this gen as it is literally helpless vs ghosts now. Just use spin on Starmie since it can actually threaten ghosts plus it frees up slots so you dont need forry.

Last edited:

Musica

PPPPPDPPPPP
Years
So it was nerfed? >_< My bad, I didn't know about that in this Gen. I guess your bet as a spinner would be Starmie, but if you want something that can lay down entry hazards too, you can use Tentacruel. Just get ready for Spin Blockers.

Back