• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Jul 5, 2013
Is there someone who can help me by PM? (or another mean of communication)

I think XSE ****s up my script at compile time and I dont see why. But this is not a simple question, therefore if there is some charitable soul who I can copypaste my script to give me a hint because now...

Thanks.

droomph

weeb
Years
Hey, I have a serious problem, please, help me.
I've replaced Azurill, Marill and Azumarill with Vanillite, Vannilish and Vanniluxe.
Some guy evolved Vanillite in my hack, and said that it makes glitches.
And it does.
When Vanillite evolves, it's sprite isn't showed. In evolution animation, it just goes like this: *vannilish sprite* *blank* *vannilish sprite* *blank*
Ok, it evolved, cool. This problem could be ignored, but, suddenly!
I've tried looking at its summary, and game freezed. Just black screen.
I have no idea what happens in battle. It's probably a freeze too.
Probably has something to do with your sprite and the pointers and everything. Check it again.

I think XSE ****s up my script at compile time and I dont see why. But this is not a simple question, therefore if there is some charitable soul who I can copypaste my script to give me a hint because now...

Thanks.
Go download it again. That usually works.

If not, check every step and be ABSOLUTELY sure you're doing everything right.

Last edited:

redriders180

Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
Years
Hey, I have a serious problem, please, help me.
I've replaced Azurill, Marill and Azumarill with Vanillite, Vannilish and Vanniluxe.
Some guy evolved Vanillite in my hack, and said that it makes glitches.
And it does.
When Vanillite evolves, it's sprite isn't showed. In evolution animation, it just goes like this: *vannilish sprite* *blank* *vannilish sprite* *blank*
Ok, it evolved, cool. This problem could be ignored, but, suddenly!
I've tried looking at its summary, and game freezed. Just black screen.
I have no idea what happens in battle. It's probably a freeze too.

This happened to me once too...It happens when the sprite isn't LZZ compressed. When I edited Pokemon Sprites with unlz.gba, sprites would sometimes "uncompress", or something. Ever since I switched to Wichu's sprite editor, it hasn't happened. If you download it, and go to the sprite that isn't shown up, an error message like "Data isn't compressed" will pop up.

Also, you might have some unforseen trouble with replacing Azurill. Breeding Vanillish or Vanilluxe will probably make it breed to Vanillish, instead of Vanillite, unless Vanillish is holding whatever incense. I think this is part of the DayCares coding...There's most likely a simple fix, but just a heads up.

Capitalist Ness

can't stump the trump
Years
Thanks, I'm now inserting the sprites of Vanillite and the others with Advanced Pokemon Sprite Editor.
You know, I asked once if there's any way to breed Marill and get Azurill without Incense. I've got no response to this day, because I want my hack to "promote" the breeding. I'm always editing the Egg Moves after modifying the Pokemon with YAPE.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Aug 1, 2016
I could use a little help.

I added a stairway into my rivals house, but now when I try warping to the rivals room, it takes me to the titlescreen.
I checked the warp numbers, map banks, all that jazz, but nothing works.

Years
  • Seen Jul 5, 2013
Hi, I'm back!

I need clarification for some things in scripting here, because after looking for some scripts on the main game and after looking after diego's tutorial, there are some things that are not clear for me: the flags and variables.

I understand the concept, flags are here to prevent a script for executing more than once, to go to a certain branch etc... but outside of this there is a lot of misunderstandings.

First of all: how do you set a flag. Not the command, i know the setflag and clearflag, the question is about how do i know what number to give to him? Do I have to search for an offset first like for the #org ? Can I use a random value or a value related to the script, or sprite, or whatever?

The same goes for variables. It's a lot more hard to understand for someone who is used to program in languages when a var is something local, that you must declare before use. Here it's sort of a global variables, with some already used by the game (and I don't know which)

Thanks.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years

Thanks.
XSE does not "4 stars" your script ;)
You must be doing something wrong =)

@Mallowigi: The same number as the flag/var you use must be put into the specific bar =)

Years
  • Seen Jul 5, 2013
But what is the value? something totally random? What if that value is already used somewhere else?

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Aug 1, 2016
Hi, I'm back!

I need clarification for some things in scripting here, because after looking for some scripts on the main game and after looking after diego's tutorial, there are some things that are not clear for me: the flags and variables.

I understand the concept, flags are here to prevent a script for executing more than once, to go to a certain branch etc... but outside of this there is a lot of misunderstandings.

First of all: how do you set a flag. Not the command, i know the setflag and clearflag, the question is about how do i know what number to give to him? Do I have to search for an offset first like for the #org ? Can I use a random value or a value related to the script, or sprite, or whatever?

The same goes for variables. It's a lot more hard to understand for someone who is used to program in languages when a var is something local, that you must declare before use. Here it's sort of a global variables, with some already used by the game (and I don't know which)

Thanks.

I haven't looked too much at variables yet, but with flags you can set just about any random flag (save the "special" flags). It'd be smart to use flags that aren't already used in the ROM, but you can use any random number.

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
But what is the value? something totally random? What if that value is already used somewhere else?
Flags (and variables) affect certain parts in RAM memory. By using completely random flags, you may overwrite data that you wouldn't want to.
Your best bet would be using the flags that are already in the game because you know for sure that ram area is reserved for the flags and no other data is written there.

Years
  • Seen Jul 5, 2013
Ok, to sum it up, given a list of used flags, I put one of these in my script, let's say Person 1 on VIRIDIAN, who gives me the ItemSeeker on the first dialogue.

setflag 0x2C

Then, when I talk to that guy again, he doesnt offer me the item because the checkflag prevent so.

BUT, what if that flag is already used in another script not related to the map, say, PEWTER? this setflag would fudge it up isn't it?

This is why i'm confused.

Also, another question: Let's say I compile a script a hundred times. The space is used every time I compile it, therefore the memory available is decreasing little by little. Is it okay, or should I do a backup before scripting, debug, and then apply the debugged script to the backup?

Also, I got a problem with a warp:
warp 0x4 0x3 0x2 0x6 0xC
waitstate
which is supposed to make me warp to OAK's lab, but the game freeze at that point.

Sknaht

EDIT: Never mind the two last questions, for the space, just use #removeall lOffset before the script, and for the second one, just a dumb FE missing (reminds me of the first days in programming when we use to look for the ; missing XD)

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Aug 1, 2016
Ok, to sum it up, given a list of used flags, I put one of these in my script, let's say Person 1 on VIRIDIAN, who gives me the ItemSeeker on the first dialogue.

setflag 0x2C

Then, when I talk to that guy again, he doesnt offer me the item because the checkflag prevent so.

BUT, what if that flag is already used in another script not related to the map, say, PEWTER? this setflag would fudge it up isn't it?

Using the same flag with 2 different scripts will "fudge up" the script. Flags are universal, they aren't restricted to one script.

droomph

weeb
Years
I could use a little help.

I added a stairway into my rivals house, but now when I try warping to the rivals room, it takes me to the titlescreen.
I checked the warp numbers, map banks, all that jazz, but nothing works.
Which version of AMap are you using? Old versions usually screw the warps up, 1.92 on shouldn't do that.

Also check if you have a warp on the other end.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Aug 1, 2016
Which version of AMap are you using? Old versions usually screw the warps up, 1.92 on shouldn't do that.

Also check if you have a warp on the other end.

I'm using 1.9.5. I just tried it with 1.9.2., still didn't work. Also, both warps are there. Oddly enough, this is the only warp that does this.

redriders180

Years

setflag 0x2C

Also, another question: Let's say I compile a script a hundred times. The space is used every time I compile it, therefore the memory available is decreasing little by little. Is it okay, or should I do a backup before scripting, debug, and then apply the debugged script to the backup?

Also, I got a problem with a warp:
warp 0x4 0x3 0x2 0x6 0xC
waitstate
which is supposed to make me warp to OAK's lab, but the game freeze at that point.

Sknaht

EDIT: Never mind the two last questions, for the space, just use #removeall lOffset before the script, and for the second one, just a dumb FE missing (reminds me of the first days in programming when we use to look for the ; missing XD)

What I do is I write down all the flags I've used in a notepad file. Then, when I'm writing new scripts, I know which not to use. I use a Rom Base that already had all events removed, and it's sometimes a good idea to do that, since you have control over every flag. If you're too far into it, though, then you'll just have to check every script to look for conflicting flags, especially if you aren't editing them all.

Years
How would one edit the script that's executed upon activation of special 0x108 (Kanto 'dex Diploma) in FireRed? This script plays a fanfare, but I would like to know the location if possible.

redriders180

Years
I'm using 1.9.5. I just tried it with 1.9.2., still didn't work. Also, both warps are there. Oddly enough, this is the only warp that does this.

I bet it has something to do with events or maps in the Rivals room itself. Try putting in two completely different warps, that leads to the rivals room. If they do the same thing, it's something with the Rivals room.

How would one edit the script that's executed upon activation of special 0x108 (Kanto 'dex Diploma) in FireRed? This script plays a fanfare, but I would like to know the location if possible.

I don't think it's a script, but probably some simple ASM. The special table starts at 0x0815FD60, and it's a list of pointers to specials. Just go down to the right pointer, and that'll give you the ASM you need.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Aug 1, 2016
I bet it has something to do with events or maps in the Rivals room itself. Try putting in two completely different warps, that leads to the rivals room. If they do the same thing, it's something with the Rivals room.

Thank you. Apparently there was some sprite that was hidden causing the game to crash.

Years
Thanks, redriders. Does anyone know the hex number for the fanfare that plays when you receive a badge?

It can be activated in text via the code: "\c\h06Á" but I'd like to activate it through the fanfare command.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Aug 1, 2016
Thanks, redriders. Does anyone know the hex number for the fanfare that plays when you receive a badge?

It can be activated in text via the code: "\c\h06Á" but I'd like to activate it through the fanfare command.

I believe its this:
fanfare 0x13E

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back