• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

A Beginner's guide to inserting d/p sprites into a gba rom(No need to outline)

Years
  • Seen Sep 13, 2009
Hey theses a problem when i do it

I did all the steps with a turtwig sprite and when i press write to rom no message pops up.

But when i play the game, turtwig is in three seprat parts.
Help!!
p.s im using pokemon leafgreen

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Oct 31, 2009
I've followed your isntructions, and inserted the sprite, but when i write to ROM (the first time) two things happen:
1)i dont get the "ptr found at XXXXXXX. changed" message.
2) if i press previous and then enxt the sprite will have become messed

Also, i've noticed my unLZ is different to yours. it doesen't actually have room on the image offset for two 00's, the set out is different and it doesen't give me the "auto abort if new data is bigger" message. I was wondering if you:
a) know what was wrong with what i'm doing
b)could tell me what version of unLZ your using, to check if mines outdated.

other than that, its a great tutorial. i like the way used screen shots. helped alot.

Years
  • Seen Dec 27, 2009
SPRITE NOTE INDEXED!!!

hello every time i try to insert sprites it say that the sprite is not indexed i did every thing in this tutorial please help!!!!

EDIT: nevermind i got lol thanks for the tut though

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen May 28, 2011
Great tutorial thanks!!
However, when I use a sprite that requires a different offset, I followed the instructions to the letter, when I encounter the pokemon with the change sprite the rom simply crashes. (I am using fire red if it matters)

I was wondering if anyone could tell me why this happens and how I can fix it.

Thanks in advance!!

rokrdude

POKEMON : SINNOH QUEST CREATOR
Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2016
I am having problems inserting backsprite of pokemon it always comes messed up
Frontsprite works perfectly

Someone said earlier that backprite should be shiny is he correct bcs i was trying normal back sprite

Also about going to previous pal for inserting backsprite is it previous pal of backsprite of pokemon given just after front sprite in ulza?

558122_DG

Learning how to make mistakes
Years
  • Seen May 27, 2021
hmmmm, by any chance would you know how to do it without replacing an old pokemon? I know there is a tut in PHO but RS ball won't work for me :(

PS. yes it is possible....

RedYoshi

Wah! Yoshi!
Years
hmmmm, by any chance would you know how to do it without replacing an old pokemon? I know there is a tut in PHO but RS ball won't work for me :(

PS. yes it is possible....

Try using Poke Edit Pro. It lets you change the Sprite offsets for the Pokemon. All you need to do is just insert the image in Unlz to an empty offset (only have export image ticked) and then change the Sprite offset in Poke Edit Pro, its in reverse hex so if your offset is 123456 it would be 65 34 12. Do the same with the palette (only have export palette ticked), but use a different offset.

Jemzx

Guardian Trainer
Years
  • Seen Nov 20, 2010
Try using Poke Edit Pro. It lets you change the Sprite offsets for the Pokemon. All you need to do is just insert the image in Unlz to an empty offset (only have export image ticked) and then change the Sprite offset in Poke Edit Pro, its in reverse hex so if your offset is 123456 it would be 65 34 12. Do the same with the palette (only have export palette ticked), but use a different offset.

yeah the 25 free slots that wasn't used for the unowns...

Years
  • Seen Feb 19, 2019
I am having problems inserting backsprite of pokemon it always comes messed up
Frontsprite works perfectly

Someone said earlier that backprite should be shiny is he correct bcs i was trying normal back sprite

Also about going to previous pal for inserting backsprite is it previous pal of backsprite of pokemon given just after front sprite in ulza?

havent been on much lately and pretty much quit the spriting and rom hackign scene...
but i beleive u replace the shiny back sprite with a new shiny backsprite. just make sure the palletes for the both back and front sprite match ip otherwise ur pic is gonna be messed up.

and guys thanks for all he comments.

mikocoon

error? who cares?
Years
nice tutorial but how to add the pokemon backpics
i add it but it looks change its color to red

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 26, 2010
My pokemon's sprite's color is messed up! It looks perfectly good in paint, but it looks weird in the game! Help please!!!

Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2013
Super poke master are you doing it correctly?
Have you followed all the steps correctly?

Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2013
Erm, try and PM me. I'll try, host the images of how you're doing it and link me to it. Or you can try and do what he done and do EXACTLY what he done, like using torterra and replacing Venasaur in fire-red. Just to check you're doing it correctly...?

Back