• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Superhero Movies

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
Are you a fan any of the Superhero movies? Which do you like the best?

Avengers? Batman? Iron Man? So many to choose from.

I'm not really a fan of those films really, only the Batman trilogy I kept up with.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
I like seeing my favorite heroes jump onto the big screen since I'm a huge fan of the Marvel/DC comics. For the most part, I love them alot. Just don't like how they mess up some of the villains or the storylines that didn't even happen once in the TV.

For example, Spiderman 3. Everyone knows that Spidey and Venom shares a huge rivalry between them, but they only showed him for about 30 minutes at the end of the movie. Me being a huge fan of the comic books, was totally let down by that, but looking aside of that, I still rather enjoyed the movie.

I would say my favorite until now is the Avengers movie. Although they show Hawkeye and Black Widow being on of the founding members of The Avengers which is not true, I loved it. Had alot of action, storyline was pretty fast paced, and the main characters were really good.

Years
D.C. > Marvel. The Avengers was great, and the first Iron Man was phenomenal, but The Dark Knight trilogy is better overall. Acting, direction, cinematography, etc. Hopefully The Justice League movie will eb good. And I can't wait for Man of Steel.

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
If I don't have superhero films, what do I have in this world? Family, friends, a job, yes, I have those. But they pale in significance to superhero films, the films which I enjoy so much. The world would be empty without the likes of Batman running around in Kevlar, Superman with his underwear on the outside, Catwoman with her tight-fitting spandex and chaaaaarming personality. Totally empty.

I've never really had a taste for Marvel films, aside from The Avengers and Iron Man. They don't interest me like D.C films do, they don't grapple me like the Batman films have done. I suppose it's simply a lack of love for the characters, I've always had a stronger preference for the characters of the D.C universe. Wonder Woman, Batman, Superman, the Joker and of course, Harley Quinn. Not that Harley has been in a movie yet, much to my frustration. If only she could be paired with Poison Ivy in a reboot or something :(

As for my favorites, it's gotta be the Batman films, hands down. Christopher Nolan's specifically, may I add. Though I still retain some love for Batman and Batman Returns, particularly Returns. I feel that the Batman mythos is the one that has been handled the best, with Superman leaving much to be desired. However, with Man of Steel coming up, I doubt that Superman will be a joke in the superhero movie world much longer.

Years
I'm usually up for any superhero film, if for nothing else than to see how well or how bad they do. I'll even see Green Lantern and Catwoman one day because I'm dedicated to watching superhero movies.

Among my favorites are movies that you wouldn't necessarily think of first when thinking of superhero movies. Mystery Men is a great spoof and I'd recommend it to anyone who's ever seen a superhero movie. I also really like Unbreakable, one M. Night Shayamalan's good movies, which is dark and understated as a superhero movie, but still really well made and with a great plot.

Of course I like the Avengers and Batman for recent movies. I just like well done ones in general.

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2023
I enjoy most superhero movies, though probably not as much as I would like to. Hollywood is so stuck on the idea that the only way to make a good superhero movie is to make it extremely dark and gritty and whatever buzz word might be synonymous with "adult" or to make them ironically comical. It's hard to find a superhero movie that plays itself straight and revels in what it is. I think that's why Captain America is probably my favorite superhero movie, it's got the spirit of the original character while still having that edge that appeals to the masses.

I'm not a huge fan of the Nolan Batman movies, more so because I think they're going to have a stagnant effect on the industry as a whole, but I enjoyed Batman Begins a lot and The Dark Knight Rises to a lesser degree. Though I hate Rises for killing any changes of ever seeing a big budget adaptation of the No Man's Land story.

I'm definitely a DC when it comes to comics, but due to their volume compared to DC's stuff, I love Marvel movies a whole lot more. Those things actually feel like a cohesive universe, many of them literally are comic books in movie form and I love that.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
I think that's why Captain America is probably my favorite superhero movie, it's got the spirit of the original character while still having that edge that appeals to the masses.
Abso-freaking-lutely.

Speaking of dark and gritty, that was the main reason I was not a huge fan of, well, any of the Batman movies, but especially the most recent, The Dark Knight. Batman, admittedly, has never been the least darkest of movies, but it has been a much too overplayed element in recent years. Then there's The Amazing Spiderman which was a nice example of a movie that incorporates all the elements of a good superhero movie without doing too much of one thing and making the audience sick to their stomachs.

If that doesn't say anything, I do love superhero-esque movies as long as they won't make my eyes bleed, like Thor and most Hulk movies do.

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday

Poor Hulk, all of the movies starring him that I have seen have been abysmal, at best :( Terrible plot, terrible acting, frustrating dialogue, the works. Not how I said said starring rather than featured in, because he was featured in The Avengers and he was handled well in that film, not that he had that much of a role aside from 'woah what's the secret to his anger'.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
Hulk didn't have a big role in the Avengers but when he DID appear, god were the scenes awesome.

Now only if the previous movies of Hulk were like that. It would be really good.

Years
Didn't I hear that they're now going to make a Hulk movie with Mark Ruffalo? I would see that. The other Hulk movies were terrible in so many simultaneous ways. Especially Ang Lee's one. I didn't think it was possible to have so much awful in one movie.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
Yep, the reviews said that Mark Ruffalo was the best Hulk until now. So they decided to make a sequel to the Incredible Hulk movie and the storyline of 'Planet Hulk' and 'World War Hulk' could be used as the main plot, which is really good because those two story arc are really amazing. There's an animated movie of Planet Hulk if you want to see how the storyline looks like.

The movie is also not gonna be released until Avengers 2 comes out. So it's still pretty far until we get to see it :P

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Didn't I hear that they're now going to make a Hulk movie with Mark Ruffalo?
They are? I haven't heard about this oo, sounds promising! It'd be nice if they settle on him to act as the Hulk, then I might actually want to give the movies another try. But as it stands the previous ones were not good so it's quite hard to get excited about it right now.

As for superhero movies in general, I'm generally a pretty big fan but obviously some movies let that down (see above). The majority of superhero films recently are really well made - especially the Dark Knight trilogy and The Avengers + constitutive movies - so they've changed my view on the whole hero idea a lot. I used to view superhero films as just "why watch the same basic story happen over and over again?", but after actually giving them a chance I've started to realise there's actually some really good franchises out there. Let's just hope the trend continues and they keep getting better; looking at you Man of Steel!

♣Gawain♣

Onward to Music!!!
Years
Ironman series was awesome back then. And the late Spider-man series(too bad they start the series all over again ~_~).

In general I love them, especially Avengers and the upcoming sequel.

Stunna

Hungry Boy
Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2013
In general, superhero movies are derivative and quite awful. However, some of my favorites are The Incredibles, Unbreakable, The Rocketeer, RoboCop, and Batman Returns. The latter is a guilty pleasure.

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
Years
Superhero movies are okay but a lot of the fans aren't. My friend's a huge Spiderman fan and she was so disappointed with the new movie that her constant criticism of it turned me away from it (and the next one because she complains about Electro a lot) for good. The opposite's true for The Avengers; I liked it until Tumblr got its hands on it, vomited on it, and called this new creation "the superfamily".

As for DC movies, I've actually never seen the Dark Knight trilogy and nobody talks about them anymore so this may be my shot to sit down and enjoy them peacefully. Man of Steel looks promising, but I hope that it's got some kind of flaw to turn the crazy fans away just enough to keep them quiet.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
I guess it's kinda telling that my favourite superhero films are The Incredibles and - to a lesser extent - Scott Pilgrim vs the World. They're the ones that do a little bit of deconstruction of the genre and poke fun at how inherently ridiculous the genre is, as opposed to the self-seriousness of most superhero films (I'm looking at you, Christopher Nolan! Although I do like The Dark Knight... that's the only one, though.) I'm probably not going to see any of the superhero films released this year unless absolutely everyone and their mother raves about them. I guess I'm just not really a fan of the genre in any medium, as I'm not a fan of superhero TV shows or comics or books (The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay excepted because, again, it's a nice deconstruction of the genre). So yeah, I'm a superhero Scrooge, I guess! :D

Years
I guess it's kinda telling that my favourite superhero films are The Incredibles and - to a lesser extent - Scott Pilgrim vs the World. They're the ones that do a little bit of deconstruction of the genre and poke fun at how inherently ridiculous the genre is, as opposed to the self-seriousness of most superhero films (I'm looking at you, Christopher Nolan! Although I do like The Dark Knight... that's the only one, though.) I'm probably not going to see any of the superhero films released this year unless absolutely everyone and their mother raves about them. I guess I'm just not really a fan of the genre in any medium, as I'm not a fan of superhero TV shows or comics or books (The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay excepted because, again, it's a nice deconstruction of the genre). So yeah, I'm a superhero Scrooge, I guess! :D

IMG_20120706_143326.jpg

I dunno man, I think there's a superhero deep down inside of you, Mr Cat Dog.

As for me, hell yeah I do love superhero movies. They really appeal to the kid inside of me.

Years
I've always been pretty big on the Marvel Camp since early childhood. I've feel the superhero genre is like a rollercoaster, releasing some very good films, while others just slide into obscurity or just plan awful. Often times this can happen in the same series, in fact in quite a few of them. I like some of the late 90's Marvel Material. X-Men 1 and 2 are fantastic, and so are the first two Blade Movies. I enjoyed the Hellboy series as well (albiet not marvel). I even like some of the lesser liked films in the Marvel-verse (Daredevil, The Incredible Hulk, Punisher, Ghost Rider 1, Fantastic 4 1)

I guess if the genre were to get a little more consistent I'd consider them my favourite genre in movies but as it stands almost every Marvel or DC character who has had a film made about him has had a bad or mediocre movie. (of course this is all subjective, but I feel several people agree with this opinion.) Also as a personal pet peeve, I would really appreciate if Ryan Reynolds would stop being typecast in these things.

Altomare

Purupuru!
Years
I love the Avengers, as well as Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, and Hulk (the new one).
I've seen Superman Returns, which was ok for me, and The Dark Knight Rises, which was nice but in my opinion was too long.

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
Years
I'm a huge fan of comics so I'm quite a big fan of their adaptations. While I'm a huge fan of the Dark Knight Trilogy and of the DC universe at large, I do appreciate the Marvel adaptations that we've been seeing. My favorite adaptations are probably those of the DC Animated Films because they stay true to the style of the comics fairly well, while still telling a good story. Also if they ever make a proper Hellblazer film I'll be ridiculously happy.

Also:
Although they show Hawkeye and Black Widow being on of the founding members of The Avengers which is not true, I loved it.

What is true in the comics is not necessarily true in the film universe - they are different universes in the Marvel multiverse.

Back