• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: EVAN PETERS HAVE MY BABIES

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years

That was kind of point. We all thought they were saving the accolades for the end, since the other entries were all kind of overlooked.
Have they not? I guess I assumed they'd already won a good number of the technical awards. Those often go to the fantasy/scifi blockbusters, right?

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
None of the Harry Potter films have ever won any of the Oscars they were nominated for. I guess Potterheads have reason to be slightly upset, given that this was the last chance for 'justice', so to speak. In the same vein, fans of the Transformers series have every right to be upset, as those films have never won their Sound/VFX awards in all the years they've been nominated. The Academy at large must just not like either of them enough, really.

Years
  • Seen Mar 23, 2016
Calling Zelda fans!

My band director allows each Senior to choose a song to play in a concert at the end of the year (I'm a Junior), and I've been looking into arranging a Zelda piece to play. He's given me the A-OK, but he wants the sheets as close to the beginning of the school year as possible; I've yet to decide on the song. I'm thinking of the ALttP Ending Theme, but I kinda want to play something that's faster-paced. On a partially related note, I play the Clarinet.
So, any suggestions, guys?

Years
I think this may be best suited for C&M, as you might have a better chance in finding musically talented members in your instrument area.

Moving on down.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
Scarf said:
I'm kinda glad that Harry Potter didn't get awards. I know it was a fun movie, well done, etc., but c'mon. It's the 8th movie in a series. Enough already. We've seen it before.

I don't really see how the fact that it's the eighth movie in a series detracts from its merit as a film, either :/

Also, last year it would have been a great Oscar ceremony if they'd just let Hathaway do it by herself.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
Also, last year it would have been a great Oscar ceremony if they'd just let Hathaway do it by herself.
She was better than Franco, yes. Franco was dreadful. But, I don't think either of them were appropriate for the Oscars. That autotuned song bit and whatnot was kind of funny and all, but it's not right for the night. It was more... Peoples' Choice Awards or MTV Movie Award levels. The Oscars are supposed to be classy. The role of the Oscars host isn't to be "look at me" - which I got a strong vibe from with Hathaway last year.

Crystal was great in the past. I blame the producers. The pacing of everything was just off. "Here's Zimmer's conductor stand, gigantic, and rising out of the ground for some reason"... and then silence.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
Fast paced? Hmmm... how about Gerudo Valley? Might be better strings though.

How about Saria's Song / The Lost Woods? Or Tal Tal Heights from Link's Awakening?

Shining Raichu

Years
I think the problem was that he was meant to stay in the past. Times have changed and Billy Crystal really isn't that relevant anymore.

Years
I don't really see how the fact that it's the eighth movie in a series detracts from its merit as a film, either :/
Well, as far as HP goes, I don't think movie #8 was really all that different from #7 or #6 in terms of makeup, sound editing, and all that technical stuff. They were kinda just doing what was expected of them. "Keep up the good work" and all that. I feel like awards ought to go to people who push forward, try new things, go "above and beyond" if you get my meaning.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
Well, now that the Oscars are over, we need to find something to use this thread for! I propose a rigorous discussion into why 2012 is going to have TOO! MANY! SUPERHERO! MOVIES! The Avengers trailer recently released has made that abundantly clear. Or maybe there are always too many superhero movies in a given year, and now I've just realised this...

Anyhoo, discuss! :D

Years
I don't think it will have too many. Sure there are the Avengers, and the Batman movie, but we already had Captain America, Green Lantern, Thor, the other Batman movies, those X-Men spinoffs. They didn't kill us.

Well, maybe Green Lantern did.

Shining Raichu

Years
oh God the Green Lantern previews looked terrible!

Alright I've been wanting to say this for a while and I've been holding it in reserve because I wanted to keep talking about the Oscars, but now that it's over I can say it. I am very annoyed with Sandra Bullock right now, because later this year she will be forcing me to watch a George Clooney movie just to see her.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
I think it is a lot yeah. Two a year is okay. One DC and one Marvel movie. But, 2012 is going to be nuts.

Although, I don't really see Nolan's Batman films as superhero flicks. The Dark Knight was more like a light noire crime drama that just happened to have Batman in it.

Shining Raichu

Years
I watched 27 Dresses tonight. I saw it when it was out at the movies just because I like Katherine Heigl, but I was actually surprised by just how much I enjoyed it this time around. I think after all the Oscar and award season intensity (which I care about a lot more than is probably healthy) it was so refreshing to just watch a movie that was just light and silly. It's not great art and doesn't pretend to be; it's just a benign romantic comedy that you can watch for the sake of watching a movie.

I forgot how much I enjoyed romantic comedies; they're always something that you can come back to and the great thing about them is that they're never exhausting. Mindless at times, but you don't emerge from them feeling like you've been through an ordeal. I think the genre itself is undervalued in only for this reason.

Years
You mentioned rom-coms so I'm gonna use that as a segue to whining about a problem I have.

Some of my friends want me to watch Shawn (or is is Sean?) of the Dead, which they describe as "a romantic comedy with zombies." Now I'm okay with rom-coms, although I don't really care for them, but I really, really cannot do gore. They say I should just give it a try and they'll stop it if it gets to be too much for me, which is nice of them and all, but I when I say I can't handle gore I mean that if I see one particularly bad image it will haunt me for weeks when I'm trying to get to sleep.

So if anyone's seen it, how bad is it? I would look it up myself, but again I'm afraid of stumbling onto something by accident.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
Oooh, so close! It's actually 'Shaun' of the Dead, which is a spelling I've never seen used apart from in this film. As for the film itself, it's not really a rom-com so much as it's just an outright comedy that happens to feature zombies. There's a romance plot as part of that, but it's certainly not the main focus. As for the gore: like the romance, there is some gore but even that's used in a comedic way as opposed to its usage in a more traditional horror film. In fact, I wouldn't even call it a horror film; it has some jumpy moments and a bit of gore, but making you laugh is the film's chief goal and it succeeds on the whole.

So, I'd encourage you to check it out, Scarfy!

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen today
I thought the romantic aspect of that movie was more or less satire of romantic interests in those sorts of movies? Forgive me if I'm wrong, but that's certainly the impression I got out of it. Though I agree with Jon, do go check it out.

Rest

Showstealer Pro: Trial Version
Years
I shall check out Shaun Of The Dead!

So I had lunch whilst watching Mean Girls...

And let me tell you, "I'm from Michigan." is hands-down one of the funniest lines in film.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back