• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Buying A New Computer

Belldandy

[color=teal][b]Ice-Type Fanatic[/b][/color]
Years
So if you read my blog, you'll know my beautiful i7 Dell PC @ 8GB RAM & Tier 2 Graphics has been destroyed by a third party.

I'm looking for ideas for a new one.

Requirements

- i7 Processor
- > 2.0GHZ
- Tier 1 / Tier 2 Graphics (as per Notebook Check)
- 6GB+ RAM
- 500GB+ HDD
- 4h+ Battery Life
- < 1,100$ CAD

Preferred

- Windows 7
- French OS
- 15" or less
- Lightweight
- Laptop*

* Desktop is OK, but again, prefer laptop

No-No Brands

- Acer
- HP

Goals / Purpose

- The Sims 3 + All Expansions (More expansions, more memory used)
- The Sims 4 (2014)
- Video Editing
- Multi-tasking
- Emulators <- Does mentioning that infringe on rules?

I've been looking at this one:

http://configure.dell.com/dellstore...nspiron-15r-se-7520&c=ca&l=en&s=dhs&cs=cadhs1

Kinda like it :) Don't know if that exact processor # is better or equal to my top-of-the-line i7 from late 2010, but I'm sure it'll be good for the games I play.

Does anyone have any better ideas / models, or have any other manufacturers outside of Dell that might give more bang for the buck (available in Canada)? eBay was a shoot and a miss for me lol :P

Tetrakeet

Lilligant's Caretaker
Years
I'd avoid Windows 8 like a plague! It's not gaming friendly (at least that's the word on the net). The RAM is only 8GB and 16GB is getting to be the more middle standard now. According to this site http://www.game-debate.com/hardware/index.php?gid=863&graphics=Radeon HD 7730M you may have some trouble getting max FPS on more graphically demanding games. I'm guessing that Sims4 will be quite a resource hog too. Other than that the lap top looks nice for a middle end.

Check out this site, it's great for helping you build a new PC! http://www.logicalincrements.com/

Can't help with laptops myself, those are usually a package deal and I dislike laptops in general because they aren't exactly upgrade friendly.

I just bought a beefy (7.9 Windows Experience Rated) ~$1200 Desktop ASUS last year and it's serving me well, so I can vouch for their hardware too. It WAS custom built though, not a package.

Last edited:

Belldandy

Years
Yeah, my other laptop was about a 7.5 on the scale :x hasn't moved since 2010, methinks.

I'll check this site out. Thank you!

Zet

Years
I'd avoid Windows 8 like a plague! It's not gaming friendly (at least that's the word on the net).
Windows 8 is extremely gaming friendly(has even better support for older games than windows 7), it's just that if you use Windows 8 you won't be able to use aimbots, and trainers that haven't been given support to work with 8.

I would honestly recommend getting a desktop since a laptop is a poor choice for video editing. And if you want to save self a few hundred dollars, look for a computer place that is affordable and can do custom builds(or if you know how to build a computer just buy the parts online from places such as newegg).

Tetrakeet

Lilligant's Caretaker
Years
My friend had a lot of problems running Minecraft and SWTOR on Windows 8. It's nice to hear some people had good luck with it though.

Personally I have no reason to choose 8 over 7 since I won't benefit from all the touch screen things. I also have no use for the new Direct X features. I highly dislike the new interface too (I know it's changeable, but I'm happy with 7 honestly). I will probably skip 8 altogether, unless it supports something amazing hardware wise. I usually have a PC for at least 4 years though, so hopefully the new Windows 9 seamlessly combines the two with no bumps.

I did more research and read this though. Sounds like it can be better for some things, like security and boot times.

http://usabilitygeek.com/windows-8-vs-windows-7-speed-and-performance-testing/

I suppose it won't hurt to go for 8, the main advantage sounds like boot times. I never fully shut down my computer though, so that is no issue for me. Hibernate is awesome! What can I say though, I'm biased towards 7 because it has never let me down and I have never heard anything negative about it, ever (apart from backwards compatibility but that's what VM Ware is for).

Also custom builds can definitely be good, if you know what you're doing. Personally I like to have an advisor (in person) just in case. Frying your own hardware will cost a person more money than that extra assembly fee. ^ ^;

Last edited:

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
I'll do like I do with everyone. Toshiba Toshiba Toshiba. They have good prices and good specs. I got a Core i7 2.2ghz w/ 8 GB of RAM for $750 USD which is pretty darn good, imo. Only has integrated graphics though, so that could be improved.

Definitely check out Newegg. http://www.newegg.ca

This is a darn good laptop for the price. It has dedicated graphics as well. It's a bit bigger than 15 inches, but not much. It's 15.6".

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834216294

Here's another option.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834214640

VM me if you need any further assistance!

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
When people say 15", they are generally thinking of 15"6 anyway.

Edit - Now that I think about it, I don't think they even make 15" screens. I've never seen one. I've seen a lot of 15"6 and a few 15"4 screens. 15"6 is the size for windows based laptops, 15"4 for OSx based laptops, although I suppose it's possiable for a windows to use a 15"4 and a osx a 15"6 (Although, I've never come across one.)

Last edited:

Belldandy

Years
Those Toshibas you posted aren't to bad, Mac. I'd hafta look up their graphic cards on notebookcheck, but they look good :)

I already have two 8GB RAM sticks that I can put into the comp myself, so the computer can come with 2-4GB and I'll just upgrade it.

Also, anyone know anything about out-of-warranty Dells? I'm on the Canadian site and it says they'll do repairs out-of-warranty for 250$ (except LCDs and motherboard) and send the packaging to my address. Does that mean they won't repair the top of the screen (not the screen itself; just how it "sits" into the computer frame) or the processor if it's been physically damaged (due to ex smashing his fist or w/e into it)?

Just don't want to send it away for 250$ and they send it back saying it's the motherboard and require more $$$ to repair or replace :( Do they refund the 250$ if they can't repair it? Or do you pay after the repair as a bill? I don't really get it.

If I can repair it for 250$ then that's great, but atm it won't even turn on. There are keys missing, too, so I'd still have to send it in if only for that (and the screen "set" issue, described above, if that's even covered). Maybe the RAM budged out of place? But I don't have the tools to open it up and look inside right now >_>

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
Years
  • Seen Sep 25, 2020
^^ I'd honestly just recommend building your own desktop. Desktops are far more powerful and capable of doing the things that you described. Furthermore, for what you pay for a mid-ranged laptop can end up getting you a high-ranged desktop. Especially when building it yourself. You can get all the pieces that you know you need, and nothing that you don't want. The computer that you end up building will be exceptionally better than any pre-built machine you can get at the same price. Yeah, a desktop isn't as portable... but it sure does give you the performance compared to a laptop.

Last edited:

Belldandy

Years
Yeah. Would not know how to do that lol I can put RAM and stuff in, but everything else I wouldn't trust myself with.

We managed to turn my old PC on, but I guess the DC jack is busted because when I plug it in, the blue light (indicating that the computer is charging / AC is on) turns itself off. Google tells me that it's a symptom and would need replacing. No idea how to do that.

Plus, having turned on, I got to see my beautiful 100% cracked DEL screen! Like, seriously, it had a gigantic fist mark delved into the cracks of the screen, rippling outwards where knuckles and joints had made contact. I'm so angry right now, but all I can do is laugh lol

So that in hand, we might go downtown to the shop and see if they can test the battery. If it can hold a charge, I might try to repair just the DEL and the keys... but I'm worried even more is damaged, if it managed to mess up the DC jack.

If the battery is screwed, that's 250$+labour right there, plus 200$ for the screen & labour + fixing damage around the screen, sides and replacing keys = probably around 600$. Would just buy a new PC at that point.

Guess we'll find out today :x the battery was fully charged when I brought it home, but it drained itself. Doesn't look too good.

So keep'er coming with the suggestions. I really want a new, comparable laptop, though I don't mind desktop suggestions still.

tnfsf11

I'm just going to give you some "general" advice but I'm sure they'll be helpful:

1. A desktop is better than a laptop, unless you need one to work on while moving too much.
2. Get the OS that you like, as long as it will perfectly run all your programs & games, & also if you're able to afford getting enough memory for it to run efficiently.
3. Dell & Toshiba are good choices, although I would love to make my own PC I'm paranoid about it fearing that the components I'll gather won't be compatible, but if you know for certain that they are then make your own PC.
4. It's always good to Google any specific questions, like "will w7 run sims4?".

That's pretty much all I can think of right now, my main PC crashed (literally) & I had to look for a new one just like you but I just can't make up my mind! However those were the golden rules I'm going to abide by when I buy it. Any questions?

Last edited:

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
Bell, that's just too jacked to fix. You're going to need to get a new one. In car terms, your laptop is totaled.

Belldandy

Years
Nope :o already knew that stuff. I'd prefer a laptop for the flexibility of it. I'd use it at school for presentations (this little Acer doesn't have an HDMI port or the power to do video editing or anything) so I'd be taking it with me for that reason alone. Need me some powerpoints and stuff lol

Though I know a desktop of similar value is cheaper for the same specs... Just prefer my laptop for school and stuff and games

tnfsf11

Well Belldandy you can get/build the desktop of your dreams then get a really cheap laptop with low specs & stuff JUST to put presentations on it & show them at school later :) nice idea right?

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
Years
  • Seen Sep 25, 2020
Well Belldandy you can get/build the desktop of your dreams then get a really cheap laptop with low specs & stuff JUST to put presentations on it & show them at school later :) nice idea right?
Alternative solution, invest in a nice flash drive with lots of space. Something durable and not so tiny that you lose it.

Zet

Years
Nope :o already knew that stuff. I'd prefer a laptop for the flexibility of it. I'd use it at school for presentations (this little Acer doesn't have an HDMI port or the power to do video editing or anything) so I'd be taking it with me for that reason alone. Need me some powerpoints and stuff lol

Though I know a desktop of similar value is cheaper for the same specs... Just prefer my laptop for school and stuff and games
Might as well get a refurbished macbook(with the student discount). Look for one of the recent ones that are in your price range, since they're great laptops that can last for years without many problems.

tnfsf11

I wouldn't really recommend a Mac, Belldandy wants a PC for games & MS office, I doubt that they will work on a mac :/

Back