• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

Silver hack: Pokémon Dark Energy - Beta 5 Released

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
I know it's not an attack, but the whole thing is similar in concept. That's what I was getting at. You'd be getting an unusual Pokemon that you can only receive through an in-game trade. That's what BR25 was suggesting: giving an NPC a Thunder Tentacruel and allowing them to give it to you via an in-game trade.
Yet again, it would be possible thing to do but was not implemented in G/S/C. Trade pokemon don't have special moves, their moveset is calculated according to their level just as if they were wild pokemon you caught.

I mean, personally, I'm more in favor of just having the Move Tutor concept, but that's not to say there couldn't be some event in the game where you get an unusual Pokemon via in-game trade. It might be useful somewhere.
That would be useful somewhere indeed, and I just think I figured out where to insert that kind of a code.

Also, neat banner, Miksy! :) I'll add it to my sig.

Also, not to say I would be bluffing being able to implement the move tutor concept, here you go!

Most of the code is created from scratch but I did use some parts of the code that's being executed when a move is taught to your pokemon through TM (the part when you can choose which move to replace with the new move) which also leads to "brown text box bug".

This was actually the most difficult thing I've ever done because I didn't have that much base code to work with. Now that you can get Sandshrew with Sharpen from Ritch, it's time to implement Double-Edge Sunflora, Jump Kick Pikachu and Thunder Tentacruel. Doing the rest will be easy though because I've already implemented this one and can use parts of it in the other move tutor scripts.
By the way, Tentacruel won't be able to learn Thunder through TM and the scene of it learning that move isn't anything like this either.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
There might be an inaccuracy there. Saying that you can breed another that knows Sharpen...is your female Sandshrew going to be automatically able to pass on Sharpen to its babies?

Cyclone

Blue Emerald

One of life's great mysteries
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Feb 15, 2022
There might be an inaccuracy there. Saying that you can breed another that knows Sharpen...is your female Sandshrew going to be automatically able to pass on Sharpen to its babies?

Cyclone

Hmmm..... I think that'll complicate the breeding system too much if that were to occur. =/ Since Sandshrew is the only Pokemon in its Egg Group to know Sharpen, the male would have to know it.

It'd be more accurate to say you might be able to pass the move on to its offspring, but only under proper circumstances. Same goes for Tentacruel and Pikachu. Sunflora can pass on Double-Edge regardless of gender so long as another Pokemon in its Egg Group has the attack.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Hmmm..... I think that'll complicate the breeding system too much if that were to occur.
Indeed, that's my point. Moves are only passed down if known by both parties or for certain Egg moves. This could be made an Egg move, but Egg moves only pass from a male, never a female. So if the female learns the move from the TM tutor, it will never pass down the move.

I wonder if you can have the TM suddenly available for purchase after the event occurs?

Cyclone

miksy91

Years
It'd be more accurate to say you might be able to pass the move on to its offspring, but only under proper circumstances. Same goes for Tentacruel and Pikachu. Sunflora can pass on Double-Edge regardless of gender so long as another Pokemon in its Egg Group has the attack.
I didn't think about it when I made him say that text. The script will be modified a little bit because there are also two bugs with it not shown in the video but I'll also do something about the last sentence Ritch says. To make it a "fair game", I'll probably make it so that Sharpen is not an egg move at all.

I wonder if you can have the TM suddenly available for purchase after the event occurs?
"Impossible" (because he doesn't teach you a TM move). It would be easier to modify the routine so that egg moves could be learned from the female species in under special circumstances instead of doing this.

If Sharpen was made to be a TM move instead, doing this would be simple though.

Anyway, after I finish this and the following move tutor scripts, I won't bother doing anything about this subject anymore. It has really nothing at all to do with the hack and I suppose most of you couldn't care less whether you can obtain pokemon with the same movesets as gym leaders can if you knew what's going to happen in the game. Where I'm trying to come with this is the fact that a lot of players will probably even skip the remaining gyms in the game because they're optional, and they'll rather continue with the storyline-based gameplay other than beating gym leaders for TMs or items.

There is so much I could spoil about the hack and the storyline but I'll rather let you wait until I one day get Beta 4 released. When that time comes, you'll finally understand what this hack is all about. What I can say though is that the new support banner has a clear meaning behind it.

Last edited:

miksy91

Years
There is so much I could spoil about the hack and the storyline but I'll rather let you wait until I one day get Beta 4 released. When that time comes, you'll finally understand what this hack is all about. What I can say though is that the new support banner has a clear meaning behind it.
Here you go, some spoilers about the hack :D
It looks like danger is lurking ahead...

Years
  • Seen Sep 2, 2013
hi, i played your game , i like it, is very good and original !

and i have one question, my eevee evolved into Espeon in lv40 actually my espeon is level 47 but it hasn't any type psychic moves, when will my espeon learn psychic? where is the MT 29(psychic) ? Can my Espeon learn psychic upping levels? what level?

sorry my bad english.. i hope you understand me because i'm spanish

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016

and i have one question, my eevee evolved into Espeon in lv40 actually my espeon is level 47 but it hasn't any type psychic moves, when will my espeon learn psychic? where is the MT 29(psychic) ? Can my Espeon learn psychic upping levels? what level?

In G/S/C it's supposed to learn Psychic AT Lv.47...

Cyclone

miksy91

Years

It should learn Psychic at level 51. If you do the "Magical Book" sidequest, you'll realize all of Eevee's upper forms are made to learn new attacks at a same particular level for convenience (for example lv33 and lv51). Also, you "weren't supposed to" (or more like, you didn't want to) let it evolve into Espeon early in the game (and you would have gotten Psybeam for it if had evolved before lv38) but that's just something most players won't think of doing when playing the hack first time.

Spoiler:

Years
  • Seen Sep 15, 2012
Problem

Hey, I started using your amazing ROM a few days ago. I want to start off by saying that I love it. Unfortunately, I have come to a glitch I cannot get past. I'm in between Brightbulb City and the Western Lake. Inside of the building that connects the two, where the old lady that rants about her lost youth is, I cannot continue. Everytime I try to enter through the door, the game freezes up. I am playing with beta 3 on vizzed.com, if any of that helps. I could really use the help though, I love playing this but I can't continue!
Thanks

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Hey, I started using your amazing ROM a few days ago. I want to start off by saying that I love it. Unfortunately, I have come to a glitch I cannot get past. I'm in between Brightbulb City and the Western Lake. Inside of the building that connects the two, where the old lady that rants about her lost youth is, I cannot continue. Everytime I try to enter through the door, the game freezes up. I am playing with beta 3 on vizzed.com, if any of that helps. I could really use the help though, I love playing this but I can't continue!
Thanks
Is it the same one attached to the post starting this thread? That is beta 3.1. Exit the building, save there, then quit and switch the build version (make sure the name is identical, whether you modify the saves and states or just keep the same .gba file name). Load and re-enter the building and try again. If it still happens, it's a problem with the current version. If the building inside itself looks different, you might be stuck restarting, but I hope not!

Cyclone

Years
  • Seen Sep 15, 2012
Ok. Sorry though, I really don't know what any of that means. This is the first mod I've ever played, and I know nothing about them.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
I also read you're playing on a Web site, not through an emulator. What I'm giving you is how to fix it in an emulator, making sure you have the updated version. There must be a bug in the version on the site.

I recommend downloading an emulator (I recommend VisualBoyAdvance), finding a copy of the Silver ROM (use Google), downloading the file at the start of this thread (attachment), downloading an IPS patcher to patch the IPS file on this thread onto the ROM, then opening that in VBA or another emulator. Play that as it's the most up-to-date version.

If you need more help with this, I can answer any questions. Leave me a VM on my profile page, or perhaps someone else here may wish to provide more info than I have. Note that we can't link you to a Silver ROM however; you have to find that. Anything else we can help with directly.

Cyclone

Years
  • Seen Sep 15, 2012
Thank you. Unfortunately though, I am using a mac. I have tried downloading VisualBoyAdvance before but it didn't work. I wish you luck in updating this mod and finally, I want to let you know how much I enjoyed playing it.

miksy91

Years
Thank you. Unfortunately though, I am using a mac. I have tried downloading VisualBoyAdvance before but it didn't work. I wish you luck in updating this mod and finally, I want to let you know how much I enjoyed playing it.
Google "VisualBoyAdvance Mac" and get the emulator suitable for your system.

Also, thanks for clarifying those things out for me CycloneGU! That way, I don't have to do everything myself which is a good thing (putting this line in here so that you won't think about it in a negative which I didn't want to).

Anyway, about the freezing problem:
The version available in vizzed is Beta 3.0 and the one out is a newer one (3.1) but there was no bug fix for that freezing problem between these two. In other words, it should not freeze when you try to enter Brightbulb City through that gate. What I believe is that the ones who uploaded the game to that site (I didn't although there is stated "creator: miksy91") somehow messed up when uploading the rom image to the site or just that the emulator on the site doesn't support the game in a way it should which causes the freezing. No one has reported Beta 3.1 to freeze in that part of the game so I know that Beta 3.0 shouldn't freeze at that point either --> Vizzed's rom is buggy or the emulator in there doesn't support it.

Anyway, here is something about the progress:

WEST-SUDEN is almost 100% COMPLETE!
I've finished areas 113-115 and 117-120, created caves called Beast's Lair and Cave of Illusions, and both one town and a bigger city. To get stuff finished here, I would only have to do the Research Center (Argent Warehouse) and another special area which won't be enterable when you reach that point of the game.

Beta 4 is still a long way ahead and I can say for sure that it won't be released this year and I can't promise anything about it's release date as of now. I've decided it to contain lots of major storyline-related events including finding the Elemental Orbs, visiting Rocky Mountain, ..., and there will be more to come which I unfortunately cannot list here :P

Also those who are interested about special pokemon that would be available in this version I've, here you go:
Spoiler:

Years
  • Seen Dec 14, 2021
Beta 4 is still a long way ahead and I can say for sure that it won't be released this year and I can't promise anything about it's release date as of now. I've decided it to contain lots of major storyline-related events including finding the Elemental Orbs, visiting Rocky Mountain, ..., and there will be more to come which I unfortunately cannot list here :P

Also those who are interested about special pokemon that would be available in this version I've, here you go:
Spoiler:

Take your time!

I'm currently busy with exams and such, and after that I will be occupying myself with various other things and other video games!

It's a good break for me, and I will also have the chance to get the "nostalgia" feeling again!

Years
What exactly makes Super Onix so super? Also does it evolve into a Super Steelix which could be named AweSteelix as in awesome and Steelix. So Beta 4 will be the entire West Suden of the Suden region, Beta 5 will probably have East Suden, then Beta 6 with everything else finished probably. I'm just guessing since the eastern half of Suden doesn't contain too much except a castle and Viridian City. Also Suden's name is like a combination of Sudowoodo and Sunkern, something I just noticed. Is it pronounced like Sew-din?

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
What exactly makes Super Onix so super? Also does it evolve into a Super Steelix which could be named AweSteelix as in awesome and Steelix. So Beta 4 will be the entire West Suden of the Suden region, Beta 5 will probably have East Suden, then Beta 6 with everything else finished probably. I'm just guessing since the eastern half of Suden doesn't contain too much except a castle and Viridian City. Also Suden's name is like a combination of Sudowoodo and Sunkern, something I just noticed. Is it pronounced like Sew-din?
I'd go with "sood en" in the same way "Sudan" is pronounced, just changing the a to an e.

Cyclone

miksy91

Years
Take your time!

I'm currently busy with exams and such, and after that I will be occupying myself with various other things and other video games!

It's a good break for me, and I will also have the chance to get the "nostalgia" feeling again!
I will, and nice to hear from you once in a while again!

What exactly makes Super Onix so super? Also does it evolve into a Super Steelix which could be named AweSteelix as in awesome and Steelix.
Super Onix is a pokemon sometimes "terrorizing" Argent Warehouse and has powers far greater than a normal Onix would. Argent Warehouse used to have one of the best researches centers around the world but it was disbanded due to Super Onix being around (which is just the name the townspeople wanted to call this Onix).
Exceptionally, I wanted to make Super Onix a new, catchable pokemon and not to make it have another form so Super Onix doesn't evolve like normal Onix do in this hack. Inputting Steelix-form would require taking out another existing pokemon from the hack.

So Beta 4 will be the entire West Suden of the Suden region, Beta 5 will probably have East Suden, then Beta 6 with everything else finished probably. I'm just guessing since the eastern half of Suden doesn't contain too much except a castle and Viridian City. Also Suden's name is like a combination of Sudowoodo and Sunkern, something I just noticed. Is it pronounced like Sew-din?
All wrong here...

If I made it so that Beta 4 would contain the whole West-Suden, I could have a release up in under a month but I stated Beta 4 would come out sometime in the future. Beta 4 will actually cover pretty much what you stated out for Beta 5 (and still won't be the final release and won't include more than 80% of the final gameplay probably). East-Suden has also got quite many places where there are lots of things to be done so you can't assume anything looking at the town map only in this hack. It won't be as big as West-Suden but include quite a lot of gameplay nonetheless.

By the way, that's not a castle out there and Viridian City is not part of East-Suden. The "castle" there is headquarters of Team Darkness and Viridian City is just a placeholder name of (Area 122 ?). And, Suden is part of name of a book I used to have in my bookshelf back in the day. And yet, it's pronounced as "Su-den" (but may be hard to be said in english).

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
By the way, that's not a castle out there and Viridian City is not part of East-Suden. The "castle" there is headquarters of Team Darkness and Viridian City is just a placeholder name of (Area 122 ?). And, Suden is part of name of a book I used to have in my bookshelf back in the day. And yet, it's pronounced as "Su-den" (but may be hard to be said in english).
"Su" comes across in a pronunciation guide as "suh". Is that what you mean, or "Soo" as in the pronunciation of "Sault" in "Sault St. Marie"? In other words, is it pronounced the same as "Sudan" but with an e instead?

Cyclone

Back