• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Triple types?

Eucliffe

☆ E N T E R T A I N E R
Years
I think dual types are good enough as is, as are single type moves. If we were to add another type, it would definitely be harder to figure out type advantages/disadvantages (especially with triple typing), not to mention it'd really throw off the balance. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

HaiImNate

Ice Cream
Years
  • Seen Jul 27, 2013
God I hope not. Triple types would be a real pain for competitive battling. I pray that Gamefrekak doesn't bring triple types, I think that it would just be too much.

Years
  • Seen Jan 26, 2013
What about dual type moves, like Blaze Kick being fire/fighting?

no, just no, that would be even worse than triple types.
imagine golem being hit by a water/grass move or the already laughable magcargo by a water/ground one.
can you picture that? good, i don't think i have to say anything more.

now, regarding triple types... again, no.
even worse than making everything unnecessarily complicated is the fact that it would break the game completely.
in many cases it's already bad enough to have double weaknesses and stealth rock. i don't really see any point in upgrading an already decent but shaky chart to triple weaknesses and resistances to go with it.

also, going back to the dual type moves, i think that if GF really wanted to implement that, they had the perfect chance to do it with b/w kyurem's signature moves.
yet, they didn't and that should speak for itself.

fixing the current chart could and should, imo, be top priority, not introducing more stuff that won't help with the most prominent issues like how impractical and redundant the poison type is right now.

DTep

Arcanine4evar
Years
  • Seen Jan 24, 2013
There should be no triple types until all double typing combinations are used. I mean think about all the unused double typings that would be awesome to be incorporated that have yet to be by GameFreak: Fire/Poison, Electric/Poison, Dragon/Poison, Fire/Grass, Fire/Water, etc.

s0nido

turn up the engine
Years
There should be no triple types until all double typing combinations are used. I mean think about all the unused double typings that would be awesome to be incorporated that have yet to be by GameFreak: Fire/Poison, Electric/Poison, Dragon/Poison, Fire/Grass, Fire/Water, etc.

lol fire/water
But I dont' support triple types. It sounds really complex calculating type advantages for triple types. The dual-type system is great, but if the guys at Game Freak are going to add anything, it'd be nice to see some extra types added into the mix.

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
To me, I think dual type moves would be rather interesting in a way, since there would be the secondary type to the move which would all add up, like for instance... Blaze Kick being Fire/Fighting against a Pokémon that is Normal/Water would be 1 x 1 ÷ 2 x 2 ÷ 2 which would equal to x0.5 as the the damage result.

If they ever did introduce secondary typings to moves, then it would indeed change many things, but I don't see the secondary typing ever happening.

As for triple types to Pokémon, it would be interesting to see something like that along with the dual typing in moves, but I'm kind of thinking it would also change alot of things. At first I kind of thought it was rather interesting, while I may still be thinking that it would be interesting... there would have to be something that would have to balance it out.

What about a Hidden Type or something? Kind of similar to the Hidden Abilities in Generation V, but instead for types.

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
Years
I love the idea, but on the other hand I think introducing triple-types will make it unfair on certain Pokemon: For example, what about if there was a hypothetical Fire/Bug/Flying type Pokemon, and it decides to switch in when Stealth Rock is on the field? It would lose all of its health after one switch in! :D So, I think that triple-typing isn't going to happen any time soon.

Guy

just a guy
Years
I love the idea, but on the other hand I think introducing triple-types will make it unfair on certain Pokemon: For example, what about if there was a hypothetical Fire/Bug/Flying type Pokemon, and it decides to switch in when Stealth Rock is on the field? It would lose all of its health after one switch in! :D So, I think that triple-typing isn't going to happen any time soon.
I just realized, should triple types ever be introducing ─ I pray not ─ the overall stat system would also have to be readjusted. Hypothetically speaking, at current base stats a Pokémon who has a triple type weakness against another type would likely be knocked out in one quick swoop. Older Pokémon wouldn't stand a chance if they didn't have their base stats re-evaluated.

Jigglymilk

Night Of The Final Day
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 12, 2016
I think it could work! Some pokemon seem tripled typed to me. Probopass seems Rock-Steel-Electric. Lucario seems Fighting-Steel-Psychic. Examples like this and some new pokemon would fit nicely I think. Fire-Water-Grass type would be crazy! it could make for some great new matchups :) Btw, your Billy Joe icon and signature is drop dead sexy, If I may say so xD

ShyRayq

Unprofessional Unprofessional
Years
  • Seen Mar 26, 2024
To me, I think dual type moves would be rather interesting in a way, since there would be the secondary type to the move which would all add up, like for instance... Blaze Kick being Fire/Fighting against a Pokémon that is Normal/Water would be 1 x 1 ÷ 2 x 2 ÷ 2 which would equal to x0.5 as the the damage result.

I always imagined Dual-Typed attacks attacking a pokemon to be like:
e.g/ Fire/Fighting to Normal/Water. Fire against Normal/Water is 0.5x and Fighting against Normal/Water is 2x.
0.5x X 2x = 1x so it would deal neutral damage.

Anyway, back on topic, triple types would be hilarious but quite confusing for the younger players.
Now think of triple types + double typed moves! By my calculations, you could potentially deal 512x damage! But that is impossible due to the way Pokemon types work.

RandomDSdevel

The EXP-Grinding Trainer
Years
Well, it is kind of cool, but it could lead to many cheap typings. And like others have said, this changes the previous 5 generations before it, as however many pokemon in gen 6 have an advantage with an extra type.

The only way I really see it possible, is by having a move that adds a certain type to a Pokemon, like maybe dark, but still. :/

What about dual-type moves instead? Triple-type Pokémon could take more advantage of them because they could utilize more dual-type move combinations, but their existence wouldn't be required for that of dual-type moves.

pikakitten

You met with a terrible fate
Years
Even dual-type moves would sort of mess things up, I tried a thread on that and got some good explanations on why that wouldn't work xD Expecially if we had triple types and dual moves xD

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023

Well they could just... avoid making that typing. XD; Or at least give that Pokemon sturdy. :x But yeah that's a really good point as to why it's kind of unlikely to happen. Buuut there are still ways around it so idk.

Years
  • Seen Apr 7, 2014
They could start by making Stealth Rock not so much of a pain in the arse.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
They could start by making Stealth Rock not so much of a pain in the arse.

Nah SR is necessary to keep certain mons under control. If they changed around SR for triple typings that would just destroy a lot of what we already know :( And make certain mons way more stronger.

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

Nah SR is necessary to keep certain mons under control. If they changed around SR for triple typings that would just destroy a lot of what we already know :( And make certain mons way more stronger.

Yeah, imagine a Volcarona without SR! That would be devastating. Pokemon like Dragonite for example would become much more powerful and unbalanced due to being able to abuse their ability more often. However, I wouldn't be opposed if their was some slight tweak to it. It's no fun when your favourite Gyrados gets half it's HP cut from silly little rocks. :(

Years
  • Seen Jan 26, 2013
Triple types could cause some balance issues, though would be a really cool thing to add

dragonfly_dust

Look at my avatar! Nuff said.
Years
  • Seen Feb 18, 2017
Triple types? No...just no. Dual-type pokemons are more than enough.

Dual types attacks like other people mentioned would be a lot more appropriate.

Especially if they make the dual attacks finally give Rock, Ice, and Grass types an edge in competitive battles.

satotaku

Generation 1's last hope
Years
  • Seen Jan 26, 2013
Like my thoughts on Triple Battles I think that Triple Types would be WAY too convoluted I honestly already feel mixed about dual-types.

Back