• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Spring Friendly Team Noob! - Suggestions Welcome

Years
Hello all, I just took part in the recent 2013 Spring Friendly. It was my first tourney, and great experience to start to get in to wifi battle. I have had a few experiences with wifi battle previously, but not to the extent of the tourney.

I finished with something around 90 battles and rating of 1598. I tracked my battles, but have not tallied them up, I would say I was winning somewhere around 50%.

Regardless, I had more or less put this team together the week before and it did "ok." But I also didn't expect to see UBER spam of legendaries, keldies, kyurems, reshis/zekkis, genie trio all day long. The tourney was limited to Gen V, thus some of the selections made.

Now that I've had some fair experience with them, I'd like it rated please (for possible continuance in wifi battle)! Thank you so much in advance!

Ferrothorn (Shed Shell)
Iron Barbs
Relaxed
252 HP/88 Def/168 SpAtk

Spikes
Leech Seed
Gyro Ball
Power Whip

---

Scrafty (Lum Berry)
Moxie
Jolly
6 HP/ 252 Atk / 252 Spe

Drain Punch
Crunch
Ice Punch
Dragon Dance

---

Volcarona (Chesto Berry)
Flame Boxy
Modest
160 HP / 252 SpDef / 96 Spe

Quiver Dance
Bug Buzz
Fiery Dance
Rest

---

Gliscor (Toxic Orb)
Poison Heal
Impish
252 HP / 184 Def / 74 Spe

Substitute
Protect
Earthquake
Toxic

---

Hydreigon (Sitrus Berry)
Levitate
Modest
4 Atk / 253 Sp. Atk / 253 Spe

Dragon PUlse
Focus Blast
Fire Blast
Substitute

---

Starmie (Focus Sash)
Natural Cure
Timid
6 SpAtk / 252 SpDef / 252 Spe

Recover
Surf
Ice Beam
Thunderbolt

-----

I liked opening with Scrafty if I felt a safe Dragon Dance was available to me. He has drain punch to recover life, and ice punch to lay down some hurt on dragons. Starmie was also a good lead as I could scout out and get at least a 2HKO on most of the Dragon/Uber garbage in the tourney. From there I would bring gliscy to toxic sub stall if I saw earthquake or electric coming. Volc/Hyd were good fast hitters to clean up anything left over in play.

Thanks again!

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Okay, what's with your EV spreads? You seem to have the stat abbreviations confused, man.

What's the point of Ferrothorn using Special Attack EVs when it's not using Special moves? (its Special Attack is downright terrible) It should use 252 HP/88 Def/168 SDef (Special Defense).

Get with the Black 2/White 2 changes here; Volcarona needs a bit more Speed, as seen with 160 HP/252 SAtk/112 Spe. What's the point of running a Modest nature if you're not investing in Special Attack at all?

What's the point of using 4 Attack EVs if Hydreigon isn't using Superpower? These should go into HP. Since none of your other Pokémon are holding Leftovers, maybe you should give that item to Hydreigon.

Again, get with the Black 2/White 2 changes; Gliscor should use 244 HP/28 Def/236 Spe so that it can always outrun Lucario.

Starmie is meant to be an offensive Pokémon; why are you investing so heavily in Special Defense? It's somewhat frail, so the main EV spread should be 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe. I think Starmie deserves an Expert Belt, since it has good coverage.

Other than those EV spread nitpicks, team looks good.

Years
Thanks Platinum! I can see already that those changes will make a great improvement. As I've been learning I've picked up a lot of the decisions just floating around or looking at other builds of similar pokemon.

Thanks for pointing out some of the nuances and their benefits!

On a side note, I'm just kind of curious as to how we should be coming around to picking up on the most recent changes and everything, as you've mentioned for BW2? There seems to be a very large learning curve in terms of the meta game. But it definitely has it's rewarding moments when everything comes together.

How long have you been battling?

Back