• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon Helio Version

Which starter would you pick?

• Chamelica - Grass Starter

Votes: 110 26.6%
  • Kittorch - Fire Starter

Votes: 197 47.7%
  • Pireel - Water Starter

Votes: 106 25.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

aquakip

Art Director, Pokemon Ethereal Gates
Years
I think the grass and water starters are fantastic, they do a great job of capturing the simplicity of a starter, with unique shapes that make you wonder what will happen as it evolves. I'll be honest though, I don't really like the fire starter. It has the typical cat with cute big eyes, and the typical fire on the tail thing. I think you made a good choice making it a mammal, to compliment the reptile and amphibian choices for the other two, but I think it should be something more than the usual cat. If you use it though, I actually like the look of the second to last sprite of it it seems more defined.

Actually. Kittorch is not a cat. Well, it is, but to be more specific, it is a Lion Cub. That may give you a clue about how the final evo will look.

While I'm at it, I'll explain what each is:

Chamelica - Chameleon - Grass
Kittorch - Lion Cub - Fire
Pireel - Piranha/Eel - Water/Electric

Kotone

someone needed a doctor?
Years
aww it's amazing. i love the char..---i forget the rest of its name- xDD
you've come rlly far..i would kinda fix up some of the sprites tho :P

BadSamaritan

Gone Fishin'
Years
  • Seen Jun 8, 2023
Actually. Kittorch is not a cat. Well, it is, but to be more specific, it is a Lion Cub. That may give you a clue about how the final evo will look.

While I'm at it, I'll explain what each is:

Chamelica - Chameleon - Grass
Kittorch - Lion Cub - Fire
Pireel - Piranha/Eel - Water/Electric

Either way, I'm not so much concerned with what specific species it is, just the overall design of it. The grass and water ones have very appealing designs because they use shapes that haven't been used in pokemon before, but the four legged mammal thing has been done to death, between zorua, vulpix, growlithe, mareep, glameow, and many more. Even if its final form looks cool, its the base form that attracts people to it in the first place.

I'm not trying to force you to change it at all, it just doesn't seem on par with the other two. I think something simple like making the tufts of fur on its head more dramatic would help a lot.

i would kinda fix up some of the sprites tho

Doesn't that seem a little insulting, given that they have obviously worked hard on the sprites, "fixing them up" isn't the easiest thing to do. The least you could do is mention which ones. It better not be the latest ones, as those are very good recreations of the diamond/pearl style.

Serris

The Constant
Years
Ok. Firstly, I'd like to share with everyone how far we have actually come with our spritework. So here is a small timeline of the starters.

timeline.png

As you can see, we have developed a lot; and so has our Water Starter. ^_^
I have updated the first post with the new starter sprites.
Wow. I had no idea how far they had come. They have improved greatly. It's amazing.I love the latest ones. They're great.

I'll love to watch this continue to grow. Can't wait til it's finally done.

aquakip

Years
Updated the first post with the full evolution lines. Tell me what you think of them and drop by the poll! I wanna know what starter you'd choose.

Last edited:

The Cynic

♥ These Perfect Abattoirs ♥
Years
Guys, those starters are SO badass! You've done a great job spriting.

Pireel is still the one I'd choose, especially now I know what it becomes!

Are they all just pure-typed, like the starters in G/S/C/HG/SS?

Do the lines have signature moves? If so what are they? Or is that a secret? :cer_wink:

Everything's shaping up great guys! Keep it up!

Starrcasm

Game Director, Pokémon Ethereal Gates
Years
Ah, I see Aquakip didnt include types?

Well Pireel's line attains the electric type, Kittorch's attains the steel type, and Chamelica's line becomes a Dragon type.

When it happens should become apparent once Aquakip updates the first post :)

Planetes.

@n_diiv
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jun 6, 2017
i like the look of the game but WHAT is Pireel? is it an eel?
its a good sprite but i cant tell what it is!

aquakip

Years
Yeah, that's my fault there. ^_^

Pireel is a combination of a Piranah and an eel, hence the name Pir-eel (Py-reel) Pirashock gains the electric type, then Protruik keeps the electric type.

Kittorch is fire. Felayme is fire. Flamane is Fire/Steel.

Chamelica is Grass. Salavern is Grass. Leafegon is Grass/Dragon.

And thanks! I've went through countless stages of the starters and I'm finally satisfied with how they came out. :D

Years
  • Age 45
  • Seen Jul 24, 2011
Yeah, that's my fault there. ^_^

Pireel is a combination of a Piranah and an eel, hence the name Pir-eel (Py-reel) Pirashock gains the electric type, then Protruik keeps the electric type.

Kittorch is fire. Felayme is fire. Flamane is Fire/Steel.

Chamelica is Grass. Salavern is Grass. Leafegon is Grass/Dragon.

And thanks! I've went through countless stages of the starters and I'm finally satisfied with how they came out. :D
I Like the hole thing it look's great

Starrcasm

Years
Actually, the Bug type we showed you was only a single bug type, which evolves into a bug/fighting type who's design is still under construction.

Hope that helped. :P

darkpokeball

Beware the Chainsaw Meowth 0.o
Years
One word: Awesome. I'm looking forwards to this, and if you need any fakemon sprites: I'm the person to come to. I have fakemon sprites as well as their back sprites!

Starrcasm

Years
One word: Awesome. I'm looking forwards to this, and if you need any fakemon sprites: I'm the person to come to. I have fakemon sprites as well as their back sprites!

Thanks for taking a liking in our game! We're in a but of a lull now, but we should get back into working soon. :D

Planetes.

@n_diiv
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jun 6, 2017
i love all the fakemon-there very unique but they still seem like pokemon-good work, keep it up

Omn

Moogle King
Years
This game is astounding just buy looking at the game it makes me want to marry it the graphics are amazing, sprites just.. just OMG i don't know what to say about them. When it comes I am purposely going to download it three times so i can get each starter.

Starrcasm

Years
Wow, I love that you guys all find this game so interesting; we should probably deliver you guys updates more often.

So I'll be having us do weekend+monday updates. And here's how it works:

On SATURDAYS, we'll be doing a Pokémon Sprite Update. This will be conducted by Aquakip, our leading artist and graphic designer. He's also the creator of this thread. Saturdays, he'll either post a new pokemon sprite or an evolutionary line of them, depending on what he finishes for that Saturday.

On SUNDAYS, we'll have a Plot Update. This shall be conducted by our head Plot creator, Bards Sword. He'll give you a piece of the Helio Version game, or even backstory in the game. He may or may not go in chronological order, but that is all up to him.

Finally, on MONDAYS, we'll be doing a Character Update. I'll be doing this update, and in it I'll give you info on one character of the game, and tell you almost anything about the character prior to, and in some cases during and after the game's timespan. I may or may not post a sprite of the character; its all dependent on what resources I have to work with.

So, because today is Monday, and because we havent updated in a while, I'll kick things off with a character update of the main character of the game, Helios. [For the record, in-game his name is edittable]

---
CHARACTER UPDATE: HELIOS

heliossprite.gif

Birthday: July 10
Hometown: Oriole Town

Helios was born and raised in Oriole Town, and didnt really travel much because his father was away for business most of the time and his mother was a stay-at-home mom. Helios, from a young age, was very bright, and always got top marks in his class. One of his closest friends [and next door neighbor], Selene, had been very bright as well. And as the two grew older and entered middle school and eventually high school, Helios began to get more distracted by Selene, and began to desire her. Selene, however, took no interest and instead decided to compete with Helios in everything, and eventually beat out Helios in grades and became the valedictorian, leaving Helios in second place.

Of course, being second in his class of 150 was something as well. Helios obtained a full scholarship to Mokep University farther inland. Selene, who also got a scholarship, decided against education and instead went out to pursue a job in professional pokemon training. Helios decided that he wanted to beat Selene at something, so he decided to ditch his scholarship as well and obtain a starter pokemon and begin training pokemon as well.

In the meantime, Helios' best friend Aaron struggles to get Helios to stop 'throwing his life away' training pokemon when he could really make something of his life, and becomes a pseudo-rival of Helios himself.

And so the game begins....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back