• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen X/Y Third Version Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandomDSdevel

The EXP-Grinding Trainer
Years
So, what do all of you guys think is going to happen with regard to Pokémon X and Pokémon Y receiving a director's cut, sequel, or sequels after GameFreak finishes releasing Pokémon OmegaRuby and Pokémon AlphaSapphire? Will there be a Pokémon Z, or will Masuda and Co. throw a 'Generation V'-style pair of sequels at us? If the latter were to happen, then what do you think they'll be called — Pokémon X2 and Pokémon Y2, Pokémon XZ and Pokémon YZ, or something entirely different? I'd like to see GameFreak name the possible Kalos sequels something along the lines of either Pokémon Z and Pokémon W or Pokémon XZ and Pokémon YW primarily for the reason that 'x,' 'y,' 'z,' and 'w' are the letters used to label the four axes of hyperspace and secondarily because of the existence of the 'XY' and 'ZW' sex-determination systems. Also, how do you guys think that the next game or pair of games set in the Kalos region will be distributed — i. e.: will they be released separately from X and Y but simultaneously on both the Nintendo eShop and at retail stores or will they actually be updates to X and Y distributed exclusively on the eShop? And, if the next game or games set in Kalos aren't just updates to X and Y, then will they be set before or after those games? Do you guys have any other expectations for the games based either on what improvements you would like to see be made on the mechanics of X and Y or on what you've seen of OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire so far? What else do you think will happen with and/or in the next Kalos games? Speculate away!

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
Years
If this was Gen 4 I'd bet money on it but Gen 5 really threw everybody for a loop concerning Black 2 and White 2. There might be a third version but there's not a lot of difference storywise between X and Y, so I don't know if it would be any good. A sequel might be good as there's tons and tons of lore in Kalos that hasn't been explored fully or even at all, but if they bring Team Flare back they might just write themselves in a rut. Team Flare is quite dead, and sure Lysandre could come back but what exactly would he do other than try and kill everyone again?

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I wouldn't mind there being a sequel, personally, but unlike Black 2 and White 2, I'd prefer the game to be as far away as possible from original plot; if it's related or connected closely, I feel it'd sort of feel like some rehash of sorts, which is something I've heard dozens of fans complain about when BW2 were still an active and ongoing thing.

Feature-wise, one thing I would enjoy seeing is access to more clothes and accessories, if possible. If they're unable to fit them all into cartridge, they could make some of them available in eShop, and have us download and save into our memory card. Not just me; I'm sure there are many of us out there who would enjoy seeing such a thing, too!

Alongside, I feel it'd also be pretty cool for them to allow us to access Hoenn region, in some shape or form. Even if they aren't able to make entire region available, I believe it'd be great if they could have us visit some parts, such as a couple of towns, routes, or cities.

Last edited:

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
Years
I have this feeling that Game Freak is going to surprise us with their next release. There was an interview were someone said they wanted to defy expectations.

And I think I might be more than a year before we get it.

Maybe another region, maybe adding on huge chunks to Kalos...

Maybe it is set in the "Kalos" region, but the whole map is different. Like you are in a toatally different part of Kalos. That way it feels like a new game, but as it is still Kalos, no one will feel cheated with the lack of new pokemon mid-gen. (which they shouldn't anyway.)

RandomDSdevel

The EXP-Grinding Trainer
Years
I have this feeling that Game Freak is going to surprise us with their next release. There was an interview were someone said they wanted to defy expectations.

That's why I also put forward the idea that GameFreak might possibly patch X and Y and make them into director's cuts of themselves with new features in addition to mentioning the other, more traditional hypotheses I presented for discussion.

And I think I might be more than a year before we get it.

That's to be expected since, even though new games take a while (~2-3 years) to develop, GameFreak has probably already started working on whatever they plan on releasing to wrap up the Kalos region's story after they finished putting X and Y together. As such, 'about one year from now' isn't that bad of an estimate at all, especially since GameFreak's developers and programmers will probably reuse a lot of the resources from X, Y, OmegaRuby, and AlphaSapphire in creating whatever comes next in the Pokémon game franchise.

Maybe another region, maybe adding on huge chunks to Kalos...

Maybe it is set in the "Kalos" region, but the whole map is different. Like you are in a toatally different part of Kalos. That way it feels like a new game, but as it is still Kalos, no one will feel cheated with the lack of new pokemon mid-gen. (which they shouldn't anyway.)

A big map expansion would be pretty nice…

Last edited:

skyburial

Orca Hype
Years
So I thought hard about something I could say that wouldn't sound all troll-ish, because I usually say phooey and pshaw to speculation. Reminds me of the kids who would talk all day about the N65, Mewthree, and silly button combinations that would help you catch Pokemon more easily back in grade school.

But I think it would be really cool if the Pokemon Company got more involved with its self-educated user base like they did in X/Y, and maybe include a graphical representation of IV's, or bring one of the famous ROM hackers on to their design team, or maybe even *gasp* work on some kinda console integration with the Wii U tablet.

mew_nani

Years
Hm... Maybe instead of a third version or sequel they'll work on a prequel? As I said earlier there is a boatload of lore concerning Kalos that hasn't been explored yet, and a prequel would be the perfect way to go about it.

RandomDSdevel

The EXP-Grinding Trainer
Years
Hm... Maybe instead of a third version or sequel they'll work on a prequel? As I said earlier there is a boatload of lore concerning Kalos that hasn't been explored yet, and a prequel would be the perfect way to go about it.

I don't know…Sina and Dexio have rather bland character designs in X and Y, and they'd most likely be the protagonists of such a pair of prequel games because of how Dexio says in these games that, "I'm Dexio. Two years ago, Professor Sycamore entrusted me with a Pokédex. You could call me a Pokémon-voyage veteran[,]" and Sina says that, "And we've been battling Fairy-type Pokémon against other types of Pokémon at Professor Sycamore's request. My name's Sina! …." I am, however, only basing my impressions of Sina and Dexia off of the playable character's first interaction with them since I haven't gotten much farther than that in Y (shame on me for paying more attention to Pokémon Battle Trozei and Yoshi's New Island!) I'm sure GameFreak could always change these characters' default clothes, and another pair of games set in Kalos would most likely have character customization available as an option since X and Y did, so maybe something along those lines would actually work out? I'd still like to see GameFreak patch X and Y both to bring it up to snuff with OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire and to fill in the many holes in these games' plot, though…

…I think it would be really cool if the Pokemon Company got more involved with its self-educated user base like they did in X/Y, and maybe include a graphical representation of [IVs,] bring one of the famous ROM hackers on to their design team, or maybe even [(]*gasp*[)] work on some kinda console integration with the Wii U tablet.

As much as I'd like to see something like this happen, I'm…not really at all sure that the 3DS could handle driving the GamePad all by itself. Cross-platform interactivity, however, would be very nice and remains a possibility that GameFreak or another one of the Pokémon Company International's licensees (Genius Sonority, maybe, since they've released Pokémon Battle Trozei?) could release a Wii U game with the ability to connect with either a patched X and Y or the next games set in the Kalos region.

Last edited:

mew_nani

Years
I don't know…Sina and Dexio have rather bland character designs in X and Y, and they'd most likely be the protagonists of such a pair of prequel games because of how Dexio says in these games that, "I'm Dexio. Two years ago, Professor Sycamore entrusted me with a Pokédex. You could call me a Pokémon-voyage veteran[,]" and Sina says that, "And we've been battling Fairy-type Pokémon against other types of Pokémon at Professor Sycamore's request. My name's Sina! …." I am, however, only basing my impressions of Sina and Dexia off of the playable character's first interaction with them since I haven't gotten much farther than that in Y (shame on me for paying more attention to Pokémon Battle Trozei and Yoshi's New Island!) I'm sure GameFreak could always change these characters' default clothes, and another pair of games set in Kalos would most likely have character customization available as an option since X and Y did, so maybe something along those lines would actually work out? I'd still like to see GameFreak patch X and Y both to bring it up to snuff with OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire and to fill in the many holes in these games' plot, though…
No not that recent. I was thinking further back, like around the time AZ was king. If it was just two years ago Lysandre would probably be the main villain, and he's just meh. I'd love to see more of ancient Kalos and just what took place.

RandomDSdevel

The EXP-Grinding Trainer
Years
No not that recent. I was thinking further back, like around the time AZ was king. If it was just two years ago Lysandre would probably be the main villain, and he's just meh. I'd love to see more of ancient Kalos and just what took place.

I don't believe that GameFreak would intentionally create such a huge gap between the events of two pairs of Pokémon games in the franchise's main series's timeline/chronology. That's why I think that, if the company does make the next pair of games set in the Kalos region be set prior to the events of X and Y, then these games would, in all likelihood, have Sina and Dexio as their main protagonists and playable characters. It's not that I don't prefer the idea that GameFreak should make its next Pokémon games be set around the time that AZ was king; I just think that a story like that is much more likely to be relegated to a spin-off game (Pokémon Conquest 2, anybody?)

Years
Given that Zygarde does have some sort of connection to Xerneas and Yveltal (like their abilities), it would not surprise me if they made Z instead of separate sequel games for both.

Aside from what's already been mentioned, I think it would be pretty cool to have more visits from characters from previous generations if the post-game gets expanded. Or they might do what they did with Black 2 and White 2 and make more cities/towns and block off certain others before that point (although XY had several cities/towns on its own). And please, give the Gym Leaders/Elite Four more Pokémon, I loved XY but the small teams in such a gigantic Pokédex really is a joke. Granted, that does kinda go against what I said about not caring for difficulty, but still, it felt like a waste of all those options.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Yeah, characters appearing from previous generations would indeed be cool. This did happen in Black 2 and White 2, which were released not too long ago, but I don't necessarily believe it would be bad to start implementing such things in all games and making it a tradition. Of course, some of us might question why these characters appear in every Pokémon game they play, but to avoid situations like this, they could limit themselves as to which (old) character they use on a release-to-release basis, if you know what I mean.

Would love seeing Cynthia again, personally; she's one of my most favorite characters out there in all of Pokémon. Would also be nice to be facing off against May and Brendan, but chances of that happening would likely be low, considering that they're protagonists of Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, which would still be considered new after Z gets announced.

RandomDSdevel

The EXP-Grinding Trainer
Years
Would love seeing Cynthia again, personally; she's one of my most favorite characters out there in all of Pokémon. Would also be nice to be facing off against May and Brendan, but chances of that happening would likely be low, considering that they're protagonists of Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, which would still be considered new after Z gets announced.

If they include Cynthia in any future Pokémon games, then I hope that her part in them brings back more of her personality from Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum (from what I've heard, her appearance in Black and White didn't quite do her justice. As for the chance that players of the next game or games set in the Kalos region might get to battle Brendan and/or May from OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire, I wouldn't count it out just yet: GameFreak might use it to promote the games from which these two characters came and increase sales.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
If you put it that way, having May and Brendan in Z would indeed make sense! As for Cynthia, it seems to me that she's more of a Sinnoh-person, just like how Silver is to Johto, Blue and Giovanni are to Kanto, and so forth. If she does play something similar to her DPPt role in X and Y's third installment, although I wouldn't imagine much fans to complain (considering how much we tend to like her and whatnot), I believe it'd be sort of undeserving for her; she's already had her chance. Though, her making mini-appearances wouldn't have much of an effect, and I'd love to see that (so would plenty of others, I'm positive)!

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
I am having doubts about there even being another Kalos game...GF may decide to save Zygarde for Gen VII's games, with it and a W legendary. Both could be prequels to XY like how GSC were sequels to RGB. It would surprise a lot of us for sure.
Or maybe B2W2 style games but set in the past instead, like two years or three even. They could have the abandoned hotel open (but falling apart), and the mine being active (yet dying down). Maybe with a new team...perhaps a Team Cool to go with the double meaning of Team Flare. They could make it so that Team Cool was the team looking for something around Anistar for a legend as someone mentions a different group having asked about a legend nearby.
Or maybe instead of two years it could share the same time with the Kanto focused and Hoenn games. Perhaps Zygarde reacted to what happened in RSEOrAs meanwhile the birds and Mewtwo leave Kanto for Kalos. Maybe they could show Blue too (perhaps XY wasn't his first time in Kalos...even though he didn't appear...)

ShadowEdge

Pokemon Master!
Years
For some reason I'm getting this feeling that ORAS will allow us to go to Kalos I hope it happens, though I'm probably just hoping to much.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
I am having doubts about there even being another Kalos game...GF may decide to save Zygarde for Gen VII's games, with it and a W legendary. Both could be prequels to XY like how GSC were sequels to RGB. It would surprise a lot of us for sure.
Or maybe B2W2 style games but set in the past instead, like two years or three even. They could have the abandoned hotel open (but falling apart), and the mine being active (yet dying down). Maybe with a new team...perhaps a Team Cool to go with the double meaning of Team Flare. They could make it so that Team Cool was the team looking for something around Anistar for a legend as someone mentions a different group having asked about a legend nearby.
Or maybe instead of two years it could share the same time with the Kanto focused and Hoenn games. Perhaps Zygarde reacted to what happened in RSEOrAs meanwhile the birds and Mewtwo leave Kanto for Kalos. Maybe they could show Blue too (perhaps XY wasn't his first time in Kalos...even though he didn't appear...)
I don't see any reason for them to not make another Kalos game this generation. Every single generation thus far has had a minimum of 3 games set in the same region. It'd be a little sad if they didn't do another Kalos game or waited until next gen to do it; despite my issues with X/Y, I think that Kalos has some serious potential.

I think that the question isn't if they're gonna do another Kalos game this generation, but rather how they're gonna do it. Having a 3rd version (Z or something) is still likely, but after Gen V forgoing the 3rd version thing and some comments from one of the Game Freak staff about doing things a little differently or something to that effect, who knows exactly what they're gonna do?

RandomDSdevel

The EXP-Grinding Trainer
Years
…despite my issues with X/Y, I think that Kalos has some serious potential.

I think that the question isn't if they're gonna do another Kalos game this generation, but rather how they're gonna do it. Having a 3rd version (Z or something) is still likely, but after Gen V forgoing the 3rd version thing and some comments from one of the Game Freak staff about doing things a little differently or something to that effect, who knows exactly what they're gonna do?

Do you think that, in addition to making either a 'director's cut' third version or a pair of prequels or sequels, GameFreak might take advantage of this 'serious potential,' as you call it, and update X and Y to fill in the gaps in their shared plot?

It wouldn't surprise me, that's for sure!

These are both really cool ideas! The second one would probably make fans less confused about the discrepancy in timeline placement between X and Y and OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire, too.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
Do you think that, in addition to making either a 'director's cut' third version or a pair of prequels or sequels, GameFreak might take advantage of this 'serious potential,' as you call it, and update X and Y to fill in the gaps in their shared plot?
I sure hope they do. Leaving that stuff unexplained will drive people nuts. I feel that the Power Plant is related to Volcanion though.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
This would be pretty cool, I agree. Though, if they had DLC-system available, they could have put them into some additional event pack of sorts; if you we're ever in mood of solving those mysteries, we could easily download it and follow through. They do have patches and whatnot, but they're merely updates; I don't believe they could be fully counted as DLC. Let's hope that they implement such feature next generation; things like this could certainly keep us playing, if we ever find ourselves losing interest and looking for something new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back