• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Your starter?

Apollo

怖がらないで
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jul 22, 2017
I picked Chespin, because... I honestly don't know. Before I got my hands on the game, I thought on picking Froakie as well, but once I got it I picked Chespin for some reason. No regrets though! He's strong and proves himself to be a viable member of my team.

Years
I chose froakie cuz since gen II i deciced to choose only water starters. Greninja is a fantastic pokemon, and i think it really adds the role playing part to the rpg pokemon is, as it's a ninja and its desing and moveset goes with it.

Last edited:

Bibliophibian

Wonder Trade Addict
Years
My first playthrough I chose Fennekin, because...well, it's cute, and fire-type starters are usually a lot of fun. The fire/psychic typing was pretty interesting to me too. I sat around soft-resetting for a female for like a half an hour, but it ended up being worth it, since I had fun playing through with it.

In my latest run, I started with Chespin. Even though it was the starter I liked the least at first (the middle/final evo aren't/weren't my cup of tea) I've enjoyed using it so far.

Judge Mandolore Shepard

Spectre Agent
Years
When it came to Chespin, Fennekin, and Froakie, I continued my tradition of going with the Water type starter. I give my starter the nickname of Enterprise (after the American aircraft carrier from World War II). It is my highest leveled member of my team. Plus I really like Froakie's final evolution, Greninja.

Years
Chespin! I loved him so much and couldn't wait to have my baby on my team. He became a lot less cute when evolved but was fine to use while he lasted. I ended up swapping him for another Pokemon around the 5th/6th badge. :(

Venitardus

Breeder
Years
  • Seen Apr 9, 2018
i chose Froakie as my starter. it has the best design out of the three and it has the dark type when it gets to greninja.

Lauren92

#pokemonforlife
Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen May 3, 2015
I chose Fennekin for my Y version and Froakie for my X version.

I played the X version first, and I have to say that I'm glad I picked Froakie for this. I liked the way that Greninja looked the best, and I feel as though it's the most well rounded Pokemon out of the 3.

Fennekin and its evolutions definitely aren't bad. I was excited about the fact that the fire type wasn't going to be part fighting again, as that's my personal least favorite type to use. However, I just don't know if I really enjoyed battling with it.

I didn't like Chespin's design at all, and I feel like his evolutions only got worse for me lol. It's probably my least favorite starter, in my personal opinion based primarily on looks and my type preferences.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Dec 17, 2014
In my first playthrough I chose Chespin, but in my new game I chose Froakie because Greninja looked amazing in the trailer. I love Greninja now, he's much better than Chestnaught IMO.

IceyGamer

Nothing but Ice in my veins
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 20, 2014
Froakie. Don't know why but I always end up picking the water starter. Expect for Feraligatr. I like Typhlosion a lot better.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Nov 29, 2015
Froakie. Don't know why but I always end up picking the water starter. Expect for Feraligatr. I like Typhlosion a lot better.

Man this is exactly what happened to me. I always choose the water starter and have done so in all generations except Gen 2 Johto. Like you I chose Cyndaquil because Typhlosion is a badass! (My fav fire pokemon) Typhlosion>Feraligatr ^_^

IceyGamer

Nothing but Ice in my veins
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 20, 2014
Man this is exactly what happened to me. I always choose the water starter and have done so in all generations except Gen 2 Johto. Like you I chose Cyndaquil because Typhlosion is a badass! (My fav fire pokemon) Typhlosion>Feraligatr ^_^

The grass starter gets no attention from us at all. Its always Fire/Water starter or none. XD

Summers

Beginner IV breeder
Years
Picked Froakie because I liked its typing, found its evolutions cool, and knew my sister would go with the fire starter as she always does. I don't really have any "starter type loyalty", although for the aforementioned reason I don't think I have ever picked the fire starter. There's been a couple I really liked, but I think my favorite starter ever was Snivy.

Shrew

is a Shrew
Years
I was originally going to choose Fennekin, but I changed my mind to Chespin. ^_^ Interestingly I've always changed my mind when it comes to starters to choose. I'll probably pick Fennekin in Z version. (I also chose Bulbasaur.)

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
Originally Chespin, but I took Fennekin instead. I'm not much of a Fire-type gal, but I wanted it because BRAIXEN. :3

When I restart, I'm using Froakie. :3

Years
I ended up going with Chespin at the start of the game, since I went in knowing that I wanted to train a Litleo/Pyroar, and was planning to get Squirtle from Professor Sycamore later on. I did end up getting a Froakie through Wonder Trade later on that became a part of my main 6, though unfortunately for him it was as an HM Slave.

Back