• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[RMT] POURING STALL unfinished :P

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 25, 2013
186.png

Politoed (Leftovers)
Drizzle | Bold | Flawless
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Scald
Hypnosis
Encore
Protect

628.png

Ferrothorn (Shed Shell)
Iron Barbs | Relaxed | 31/31/31/31/31/0
252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Spikes
Leech Seed
Power Whip
Gyro Ball

477.png

Gliscor (Toxic Orb)
Poison Heal | Impish | Flawless
252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spe
Substitute
Protect
Earthquake
Toxic

373.png

Salamence (Lum Berry)
Intimidate | Bold | Flawless
252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Wish
Protect
Dragon Tail
Flamethrower

73.png

Tentacruel (Black Sludge)
Rain Dish | Bold | Flawless
252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Toxic Spikes
Scald
Rapid Spin
Protect

Ghost_I.png

A difficult slot to fill, I would immensely appreciate some insight on who would best fill the void and complete the team. I was thinking about maybe a trick room Reuniclus; he could effectively sweep a weakened team, and if he fails, leave the rest of my relatively slow guys (bar Tentacruel) to finish off the battle. Then again I think I may need a spin blocker and more type coverage for such a heavily defensive team. Remember I'm just a beginner so take it easy on me, THANKS!!! :D

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Dragonite can pull off stall better than Salamence can because of its better bulk and Multiscale. It can also be an offensive tank in the rain:
-Substitute
-Thunder Wave
-Dragon Tail
-Roost
Nature: Careful
EVs: 252 HP/252 SDef/4 Spe
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Multiscale

or
-Hurricane
-Aqua Tail
-ExtremeSpeed
-Superpower/Roost
Nature: Rash/Mild/Quiet
EVs: 252 Atk/252 SAtk/4 Spe
Item: Leftovers/Life Orb

or
-Hurricane
-Thunder
-Dragon Tail
-Roost
Nature: Calm
EVs: 252 HP/108 SAtk/148 SDef

Jellicent makes a good spin blocker to fill in your last slot:
-Scald
-Will-o-Wisp/Toxic
-Recover
-Taunt
Nature: Bold
EVs: 248 HP/216 Def/44 Spe

or
-Scald
-Shadow Ball/Ice Beam
-Will-o-Wisp/Toxic
-Recover
EVs: 252 HP/36 Def/220 SDef
Ability: Water Absorb

or
-Water Spout
-Shadow Ball
-Surf/Scald/Hydro Pump
-Ice Beam/Giga Drain
Nature: Modest
EVs: 172 HP/252 SAtk/84 Spe
Item: Choice Specs

What's Gliscor doing on a Rain team? The rain would increase its vulnerability to Water moves. Since I took Salamence out of the team for Dragonite, Vaporeon can provide Wish support in its place:
-Scald
-Wish
-Protect
-Roar/Toxic/Ice Beam
EVs: 248 HP/252 Def/8 SDef

or
-Scald
-Rest
-Roar/Wish
-Toxic/Ice Beam
EVs: 248 HP/252 Def/8 SDef
Ability: Hydration

And here's a little something you can consider to help deal with opposing stall:
Jirachi:
-Substitute
-Calm Mind
-Thunder
-Psyshock/Water Pulse/Flash Cannnon
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 HP/4 SAtk/252 Spe

or
-Wish
-Calm Mind
-Thunder
-Flash Cannon/Water Pulse/Psychic/Psyshock
EVs: 252 HP/224 Def/32 Spe

Pokedra

Retired
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Aug 21, 2016
Okay I despise OU so this will be brief. However I do have experience running a rain stall team so I can drop a few points.

- Leftovers > Shed Shell on Ferrathorn. As Ferrathorn lacks reliable recovery Leftovers is essential to it's survival. Besides Magnezone is common but not that common. Trust me with Ferrathorn absorbing those Surfs, Outrages and whatnot it gets worn down quick without Leftovers.
- Slap Stealth Rock > Toxic on Gliscor, if you are playing stall you need SR. It's like running hyper offense without screens.
- Throw Blissey/Chansey in as your last slot, why? It's weaks are covered well by Gliscor and it'll sponge up those rampart special attacks floating around. Chansey or Blissey is basically essential on stall nowadays else you lose to any good team packing some powerful special attackers. Either one is fine. You can also run SR on Blissey/Chansey so Gliscor can keep Toxic.
- You need a spinblocker! With Starmie and Forrey running around, if you lose your hazards your stall team is at a major disadvantage. Unfortunately Starmie beats most spinblockers especially since rain is up. This was a severe problem for me, you basically can use either Jellicent (loses to Starmie) or Gengar (fragile, beats Starmie with prediction). Honestly I'd run a Gengar but I'll leave that up to you.

I'll post back if I see anything else.

Years
  • Seen Oct 4, 2013
[SIZE="a"]Hello, my rate is essentially going to be a mix of the two before me, as their suggestions are spot on.

First of all, the point of having a rain stall team is to utilize Pokemon that can all benefit directly or indirectly from the weather. To that end, Gliscor is actually a hindrance to your team because of the boosted water attacks your opponent can fire off on you. Additionally, other than providing a sponge for electric attacks, it doesn't provide much synergy either. And most Pokemon who run Thunder or Thunderbolt carry Ice Beam or something to hit opposing ground types.

I'm going to suggest you sack Gliscor all together and replace it with Jellicent. This provides excellent synergy with Ferrothorn covering all weaknesses of the two of them, utilizes the rain to boost its water moves, provides Toxic to poison those who can avoid your Toxic Spikes, and provides a spin blocker. The utility blocker set should work (not the special wall because of my next suggestion):

Jellicent @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe
- Surf/Scald
- Toxic
- Recover
- Taunt

Lastly, for your last slot, Chansey would work well. It rounds off your Defensive wall Synergy well, provides Stealth Rocks, Wish Support/Cleric Support, and aids greatly to stall.

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Nature Cure
EVs: 252 Hp / 252 Def / 4 Spe
- Wish
- Protect
- Seismic Toss
- Stealth Rocks

Be warned though, this set needs Toxic Spikes to be effective, as without any sort of direct status move, Chansey looses a lot of forward momentum and just ends up sitting there without being a threat. You would also opt to go with soft boiled over protect, or use an Aromatherapy set.

Few nitpicks:
Leftovers over Shed Shell on Ferrothorn for sure. Also, I would go Protect over Gyro Ball as well. It aids in stall and you get extra health which could be life saving. Trust me.[/SIZE]

Pokedra

Retired
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Aug 21, 2016
[SIZE="a"]Hello, my rate is essentially going to be a mix of the two before me, as their suggestions are spot on.

First of all, the point of having a rain stall team is to utilize Pokemon that can all benefit directly or indirectly from the weather. To that end, Gliscor is actually a hindrance to your team because of the boosted water attacks your opponent can fire off on you. Additionally, other than providing a sponge for electric attacks, it doesn't provide much synergy either. And most Pokemon who run Thunder or Thunderbolt carry Ice Beam or something to hit opposing ground types.

I'm going to suggest you sack Gliscor all together and replace it with Jellicent. This provides excellent synergy with Ferrothorn covering all weaknesses of the two of them, utilizes the rain to boost its water moves, provides Toxic to poison those who can avoid your Toxic Spikes, and provides a spin blocker. The utility blocker set should work (not the special wall because of my next suggestion):

Jellicent @ Leftovers
- Surf/Scald
- Toxic
- Recover
- Taunt

Lastly, for your last slot, Chansey would work well. It rounds off your Defensive wall Synergy well, provides Stealth Rocks, Wish Support/Cleric Support, and aids greatly to stall.

Chansey @ Eviolite
- Wish
- Protect
- Seismic Toss
- Stealth Rocks

Be warned though, this set needs Toxic Spikes to be effective, as without any sort of direct status move, Chansey looses a lot of forward momentum and just ends up sitting there without being a threat. You would also opt to go with soft boiled over protect, or use an Aromatherapy set.

Few nitpicks:
Leftovers over Shed Shell on Ferrothorn for sure. Also, I would go Protect over Gyro Ball as well. It aids in stall and you get extra health which could be life saving. Trust me.[/SIZE]
Without Gliscor CBTerrakion steamrolls his team 6-0, Gliscor shouldn't be taking Water/Ice moves anyway. The point of a stall team is to outpredict, if you decide to leave Gliscor in against say Starmie then that's your own fault. Gliscor is fine. However I do agree Jellicent can be used as a spinblocker just not replacing Gliscor.

I would honestly keep Gryo Ball, otherwise he can't touch basically every Dragon/Ghost in the tier. It's more powerful and more reliable then Power Whip as well.

Otherwise I agree with everything you said. Welcome to CBC

Years
  • Seen Oct 4, 2013
[SIZE="a"]

Jellicent @ Leftovers
- Surf/Scald
- Toxic
- Recover
- Taunt

Chansey @ Eviolite
- Wish
- Protect
- Seismic Toss
- Stealth Rocks

Few nitpicks:
Without Gliscor CBTerrakion steamrolls his team 6-0, Gliscor shouldn't be taking Water/Ice moves anyway. The point of a stall team is to outpredict, if you decide to leave Gliscor in against say Starmie then that's your own fault. Gliscor is fine. However I do agree Jellicent can be used as a spinblocker just not replacing Gliscor.

I would honestly keep Gryo Ball, otherwise he can't touch basically every Dragon/Ghost in the tier. It's more powerful and more reliable then Power Whip as well.

I disagree, the combination of Ferrothorn and Bold Jellicent can stop Jolly CB Terrakion. By your own logic, the point of stall is to outpredict; Switch Jellicent in on Close Combats, Bring Ferrothorn in on Stone Edge. Additionally, CB Jolly Terrakion's Stone Edge only does 56.6% - 66.5% to the set provided. With the rain up, Scald will take out Terrakion like nobody's business.

Regardless, overall team synergy is more important than covering a few threats. Don't get me wrong, I'm aware that CB Terrakion is a staple of the OU metagame that every team needs to be prepared for, but sacrificing a balanced team just to check it is not the way to go.

If CB Terrakion is such an issue, Switching Politoed over to a Scarf set would check it well. Pardon my personal bias, but I've never liked the bully Politoed. Hypnosis is so spotty, it never had that bulk of a real bulky water along without any real "umph" to its attacks.

Gyro Ball vs. Protect has always been a toss up on stall teams. Comes down to personal preference. In my opinion all of those Dragons can carry something to take out Ferro, so it's nice to have that extra protection and easing predictions. That's just me, though.[/SIZE]

Pokedra

Retired
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Aug 21, 2016
At a second glance at this time I actually agree with ManOfSteele, go Jellicent > Gliscor however switch Mence over to Dragonite. Multi-scale Nite will do you more good then Mence especially since Dnite can take advantage of Tentacruel's spinning to abuse Multi-scale.

Something like this?
Dragonite @ Leftovers
Ability: Multi-scale
EV's: 252 HP / 108 SpAtk / 148 SpDef
- Hurricane
- Roost
- Thunder
- Dragon Tail

Basically can't die at 100%, abuse Thunder/Hurricane with the rain, use Roost to get back to 100%. Dragon Tail for anything that sets up on you.

I found Gyro Ball better because with rain up, HP Fire and Fire Punches can be tanked by Ferrathorn allowing you to smack down weakened Latios or a weakened Dragonite. It's situational but I find it better to do something to them instead of Protecting and giving a free switch. But I suppose, it's up to the OP and what he likes.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 25, 2013
Hey all, I've been really busy and am afraid I can only skim until I get home.

Anyway: I actually RNG'ed an awesome bold jellicent, but wouldn't adding it to the team create too much weaknesses with its similiar typing to tentacruel (an absolute essential)? And I figured I may catch a lot of flak for Gliscor, what do we think about possibly replacing him with a defensive DW quagsire to sponge electric attacks instead?

Dragonite is awesome over Salamence, but I thought I may appreciate wish support (vaporeon would create too many weaknesses too, right?). So I LOVE the idea of eviolite, wish chansey on the tail end of the squad, but where the **** can I find one??? I know this thread isn't the place to ask, but I swear I must have checked every single trade shop lmao

Last edited:

$lowking

King of the Hill
Years
Hey all, I've been really busy and am afraid I can only skim until I get home.

Anyway: I actually RNG'ed an awesome bold jellicent, but wouldn't adding it to the team create too much weaknesses with its similiar typing to tentacruel (an absolute essential)? And I figured I may catch a lot of flak for Gliscor, what do we think about possibly replacing him with a defensive DW quagsire to sponge electric attacks instead?

Dragonite is awesome over Salamence, but I thought I may appreciate wish support (vaporeon would create too many weaknesses too, right?). So I LOVE the idea of eviolite, wish chansey on the tail end of the squad, but where the **** can I find one??? I know this thread isn't the place to ask, but I swear I must have checked every single trade shop lmao

Just use Pokégen. There are many tutorials out there. It's basically what every competitive battler uses.

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
If you're hard-pressed on finding a Chansey in the Trade Corner, you can use the Wish + Calm Mind Jirachi I posted earlier (assuming you can get one) so that your team has Wish support and a bit of muscle at the same time.

Back