• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Research: [General] 5th Generation Pokémon Hacking/Information Consolidation

Putin

Anspruchsvolle Narr
Years
but yes, since the overworld sprites of 494+ would be unable to be present unless they already had overworld sprites, and Nintendo probably would have overwritten that code. Then again, it IS possible that the code itself wasn't so consuming to the game and they just disabled it, but that's not exactly too likely. Still, a guy can dream. :P
Not all, but most (maybe all, but we only see most) of the 649 Pokémon have overworld sprites for the High-Link (Entralink).

As for the maps, they seem to be identical in behaviour, with the exception of a simple script like an archaic form of the common camera rotation feature in nearly every 3D game, except scripted, as was also present in HG, to the DPPt maps, which, IIRC, are GameCube 3D format maps. I am aware that a tool is in the works here for editing fourth and fifth gen maps, but tools that would work already exist, and I buggered around with the idea of making a Valve Hammer plugin for it, since I am familiar with Hammer.

The bit that makes me sigh is the thought of those sprites. There's really two options: To take out the animation and have static sprites, or to animate every Fakémon or future backport you want to do. Three thousand five hundred frames later...

Years
  • Seen Mar 10, 2013
Only the previous generation Pokémon have Entralink OW sprites.

Anyway, you're overlooking a much bigger problem.

Pokémon sprites in BW are not frame-by-frame animation. They're segmented pieces drawn on a 256 x 128 map, stitched together by the engine in-game and animated using part swapping, auto transformation/rotation/scaling and moving each segment individually.

So, good luck hacking all that.

Last edited:

knizz

Years
  • Seen Oct 28, 2020
...DPPt maps, which, IIRC, are GameCube 3D format maps. I am aware that a tool is in the works here for editing fourth and fifth gen maps, but tools that would work already exist, and I buggered around with the idea of making a Valve Hammer plugin for it, since I am familiar with Hammer.

I worked a lot on an editor for 4/5th Gen but I doubt there will ever be a working editor. (In other words. There isn't any "in the works") There isn't enough known about the bmd-format but also
smurph717 said:
knizz said:
Do you know another way to map the materials of a map to the materials of a btx-file without comparing the name?
Is this data "repointable"? (what is an indicator for the position of this data)

yeah i found out how to do that, it required some disassembly but it turns out that data is actually lz77 compressed in the arm9.bin file somewhere, i'll dump it soon and share it with you.
unfortunately the data isn't repointable, it's decompressed into static memory that's present for the entire game (the data is loaded even before the intro/title screen) and the address is hard coded into the game in multiple areas. i can tell you where its loaded in memory while running and i can tell you how to edit the data, recompress it, and replace it in the arm9.bin file though. give me a couple days though cuz i haven't touched anything pokemon related in like a month due to school and getting a job for the summer and other crap.

He hasn't answered eversince (last login in january). I still wonder how he found out...

But there's another way to edit maps. You can load them through my tools. Import them in 3ds max. And then use nintendos official tools to convert them back. (use G3DCVTR as keyword when searching)

The connection between mesh and textures however is hardcoded.

...Pokémon sprites in BW are not frame-by-frame animation. They're segmented pieces drawn on a 256 x 128 map, stitched together by the engine in-game and animated using part swapping, auto transformation/rotation/scaling and moving each segment individually...

Wow. How do you know?

Years
  • Seen May 30, 2011
yay

Now to see if a program can be written to re-point files in .SDATs so longer/larger tracks can be injected (note: there's over 56,000 pointers). x_x

Putin

Anspruchsvolle Narr
Years
Someone else was kind enough to rip all textures. (link)
You will have to pardon me if I am being dense, but I see nothing about OW sprites there, which are what I was talking about, and which seem to work as always. Battle sprites aren't really an issue if your goal is to re-implement the following script/feature.

I worked a lot on an editor for 4/5th Gen but I doubt there will ever be a working editor. (In other words. There isn't any "in the works") There isn't enough known about the bmd-format but also
Ah, I was mistaken. I recalled seeing a thread here and hearing rumours in another community, but I suppose it was the discontinued project you speak of.

Anyway, no information is unobtainable. The code was made by humans, and humans can decode it. Granted, perhaps hacking a Pokémon game is not the most likely thing to incite majour effort to decode such a thing.

Years
  • Seen Jan 14, 2016
Hi, if this can help in this research, i make a list containing all the header of the functions.c with their location in memory.
For some, i find also the file called when the function is executed.
Here's my list
Spoiler:

Years
  • Seen Jan 14, 2016
I dump all the overlay.bin, and i uncompress them with crystaltile. Then i open all and i wrote all the .c functions that i find.
Then i used desmume debugger to find the called file. During emulation into slow VRAM part((200000-300000) the game load first the function and after(it's not easy to find) the file used from the function. I don't know if all the function work at the same way, but for now all the called file are exact.( For example zonedata.c called a 0 1 2.narc that contain effectively the map properties list.)

Do you wanna help me in this research?

Years
  • Seen Jan 14, 2016
Yes, but i need help because it's very difficult find the called file.
Someone wanna help me or not?

Years
  • Seen Mar 10, 2013
You will have to pardon me if I am being dense, but I see nothing about OW sprites there, which are what I was talking about, and which seem to work as always. Battle sprites aren't really an issue if your goal is to re-implement the following script/feature.

I was referring to Putin's comment about adding different sprites or Pokémon into BW.

Years
  • Seen Oct 29, 2023
B/W Hack, change trainer's sprites

Ok guys.

It's been some time since the releases of all the B/W roms, and still I'm asking a very important question about the B/W hack.

I know it's possible, but it seems no-one can explain how to do this.

I mean this : youtube.com/watch?v=FvvUjuFQMBA

I want to know how to :

- change trainer's overworld sprite
- change trainer's mugshot (sprite in the "VS" screen, just as the battle start)
- change trainer's in-battle sprite (most important, the rest is optionnal)

As you can see in the video, it's possible. So, anyone can tell how the heck this guy made this ?

I'm not sure if I post this in the right section BTW.

Years
  • Seen Oct 24, 2013
Pokemon sprites edit possible?

Are Pokemon sprites edit possible now?
Maybe from animated to fixed?

I know it stored at ROM a/0/0/4......
Any program or software can be extract and reinsert sprites?

tpmrpg

Beginning Hacker, Gamer
Years
  • Seen Oct 5, 2013
how do you open all the files in the ROM like a/0/0/4 for example cause tahaxan won't open them.

Sabi96

Rank Star 5th-Gen Trainer
Years
Capture.png

If only you could see the other things I didn't feel like taking screens of...

How did you do this??? Can you send me the files of Zekrom and Reshiram? Or tell me how to get it

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2011
Hi,
I've read a couple of tutorials on how to use CrytalTile 2. I've been trying to hack Black and White OWs.
I've gotten this far.
I need help =/

pokefan345

モードストリート? ??スター
Years
Pokémon sprites in BW are not frame-by-frame animation. They're segmented pieces drawn on a 256 x 128 map, stitched together by the engine in-game and animated using part swapping, auto transformation/rotation/scaling and moving each segment individually.

Wow. My respect for the developers at Nintendo just skyrocketed.

Back