• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Released] Pokemon Indigo League

A few questions about the camera (fill out after you try the newest beta)

• Total voters
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jan 5, 2014
just a suggestion/ question for the full game. Will there be all regions? I would love to see that plus i could help make them. Speedy yet good maps. :)

Years
Hey all, I've been messing with that new engine and I was hoping to have a small engine test ready by my birthday but it may be a couple days later than that..
I should have a playable 3d render of pallet town in about a week. Then I'll start working on the battle system, it won't be easy starting again, but I'll enjoy the challenge. It'll give me a chance to post more frequent updates and redirect the focus of this project.. I'll be updating the first post when I get 3d rendered scenes to replace the other ones and write a detailed summary of the project in it's current state. There will be a high def & low def version of the maps, so that you can still play the game if you have low specs.. The sprites take a lot longer to make and I can only do so much after work each day, but we'll see how it goes, there should be a sneak peek in about a week :)

Years
Small birthday update!
I'm trying to get it done as quickly as possible, but it's taking a lot longer to get all the textures done than I expected.. I've got 2 buildings done so far.. Found a very unique way to display characters, though it's a little time-consuming sprite-wise, it's worth the effort in my opinion. I'm looking forward to starting the battle system, I know it's going to be a lot of fun.. Might even do a bit today, see if I can include a sample in the demo :)
Well, that's all for now.. I'll keep updating, hopefully with a screenshot soon.

Edit*
Just wanted to update since it's been about a week.
I've been crafting the battle system and it's turning out pretty great, a few more things to go before a public test.
I've had much better speeds with this engine so everyone can enjoy this game as it's meant to be played.
Should be done with the battle system demo soon, just have to add multiple targeting and test it. Battle initiates well, enemy gets 1 move for every 1 pkmn move (This will be changed to be dependant on speed once primary systems are perfected), enemy runs when hp is low, player's pkmn chases target but won't travel more than 4 squares from the player, enemy flees if it gets too far from the player. The battle system is also integrated with a unique caterpillar system which makes it easier to do cut-scenes.
After that, I'll do a few more buildings and it should be ready to test play :)

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Mar 9, 2012
you can take sprites, scripts & maps from other pokemon games
you are making an awesome game if i can help you in any way then reply me
i want the full version of this game because i was also making this game by hacking
lightning yellow & yellow

Years
Umm.. Well I can't just take stuff and put it in this game, that's called stealing.. Most community scripts don't work in the game without custom modification, and I've become quite lacking with my scripting abilities after so long without using rgss.. I've only modded a couple of scripts, which I didn't even end up using..
Long Winded Explanation said:
Very sorry to anyone who visits this thread, I was all set to release the demo last week (or the week before), I had finished the example of the battle system and a few other suprise systems and I was ready to finish 2 more buildings and release an alpha, but bad luck struck me hard when I knocked a cup of water onto the laptop and it shorted out before I could turn it off.
Well I've ended up setting my dinosaur pc up and googled what to do and if it was savable, I learned that you basically have to take it apart as much as you can, flip it upside down and let it dry with some wind blowing at it.. And so the drying proccess began.. While I waited (also because I presumed it was dead forever) I copied a backup of the project onto this pc and started the battle system again from scratch, (interesting because it is turning out slightly differently since I learnt from mistakes and problems encountered the first time, but still,) very painful!
Then.. A couple of days later, the moment of truth! Plugged the power cord in, no battery light came on (not suprised), hit the power button and then, it actually started up! :) :) Big smiles, didn't destroy my girlfriend's laptop :) :)
So I'm thinking, I can still use some of the scripts/systems that complete other parts of the battle system etc. from the old project. I tried to open it, but got an error with one of the data files, no probs, I'll replace that with a non-corrupt one, but sadly the error just repeated with all the other data files (including scripts/events) so nothing could actually be saved (I assume this is due to that fact that it was in memory when I spilled the water, even though I closed it and tried to shutdown before it shorted) Luckily nothing was burned and I'm assuming the battery took the brunt of it.. Always remember to back your stuff up if it's important!
Anyways, I'm sorry I couldn't deliver the demo on-time.. Now let's look foward to the up-coming demo, because, I've decided to pack a bit more into it battle-system-wise.
The battle system:
Pokemon are characters on the map
Following system modified to work with battle system
Wild pokemon notice the player and start chasing.
Wild pokemon find the closest ally and attack based on their hostile/non-hostile nature
If the wild pokemon in-battle moves too far from the player, it is considered to have escaped the battle and ally pokemon will return to caterpillar
The player's pokemon will attack automatically, but the player can control them individually with a macro for each pokemon (the conditions for each macro are unlocked at certain levels). The system for attacking is inspired by a final fantasy battle system. Indigo League's system functions a little differently. Players set up their pokemon either in-battle or in the menu, you can choose a move to use, then the condition in which to use it, eg. Move: Razor Leaf, Condition: if enemy HP > 70%. Another example, Move: Synthesize, Condition: grass-type ally HP < 40%. There will still be a basic battle-window for using items, switching pokemon, and editing the pokemon's macros, but it will be controlled with letters so that the player can move freely around and escape from battles.
Multiple pokemon can battle at once. You can have 6 vs 6 matches but no more.
Ally pokemon don't attack because of their nature, they follow the macros you set (there will be an in-game tutorial for setting up various macros like healers, stat boosters etc. which I'm planning to use as moves which can apply to all allies or specific ones) You can set your pokemon up to be agressive and attack the closest enemy, or stay away from the enemy and heal allies until the enemy is weak. There will be several macro slots available (with several more unlocked as your pokemon levels up) and there will be a chain of command for these slots, meaning that if you place a macro that makes your pokemon heal itself eg. Move: Rest Condition: self HP < 30, then you need to place it ABOVE your attack macro. Because the game will check the slots in decending order, it will check if it's own hp is below 30 (it will perform the heal action if true) if it isn't below 30, it will try the next macro which is attack. If the attack is processed first, then it will always be true and complete the attack without doing anything else, this is because attack macros look like this, Move: Struggle, Condition: enemy HP > 0. This system is ingenious because you can add type-checks to form more complicated macros like this: 1. Move: Fire Blast, Condition: enemy type = grass,ice,bug,steel 2. Move: Scratch, Condition: enemy HP > 0.
The ally pokemon will not move too far from the player, they will continue trying to attack until the enemy escapes
The attack system is real-time and the speed of attacks are based on speed of the pokemon.
The attack formula is based on the fr/lg formula for damage (very slightly modified)
The experience formula has an addition based on the STAB (same-type attack bonus) from the damage formula. It will replace all instances of ev's and dv's by adding stat-exp to the skill being used rather than stat-exp being gained through battling specific pokemon repeatedly, for example, a pokemon using Fire Punch will get stat-exp in Special Attack and also in Attack (because it is both physical and elemental)
The actual experience formula is a modified version of the Generation 5 experience formula, where exp is heavily based on enemy level and the difference in ally-enemy levels but the experience will be given on a per-hit basis rather than at the end of battle, the player will get bonus experience for completing the battle.

Any comments, please feel free to post them. I'm gonna be working on the battle system, then update the 1st post of this thread and try to get an alpha out in good time, I'm more focused on quality at this point. But please, please give me some feedback!!! Especially about which wild pokemon should have which natures (hostile or non-hostile) and why. This game needs your input to remain on track!

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jun 24, 2012
still working

Umm.. Well I can't just take stuff and put it in this game, that's called stealing.. Most community scripts don't work in the game without custom modification, and I've become quite lacking with my scripting abilities after so long without using rgss.. I've only modded a couple of scripts, which I didn't even end up using..

Anyways, I'm sorry I couldn't deliver the demo on-time.. Now let's look foward to the up-coming demo, because, I've decided to pack a bit more into it battle-system-wise.
The battle system:
Pokemon are characters on the map
Following system modified to work with battle system
Wild pokemon notice the player and start chasing.
Wild pokemon find the closest ally and attack based on their hostile/non-hostile nature
If the wild pokemon in-battle moves too far from the player, it is considered to have escaped the battle and ally pokemon will return to caterpillar
The player's pokemon will attack automatically, but the player can control them individually with a macro for each pokemon (the conditions for each macro are unlocked at certain levels). The system for attacking is inspired by a final fantasy battle system. Indigo League's system functions a little differently. Players set up their pokemon either in-battle or in the menu, you can choose a move to use, then the condition in which to use it, eg. Move: Razor Leaf, Condition: if enemy HP > 70%. Another example, Move: Synthesize, Condition: grass-type ally HP < 40%. There will still be a basic battle-window for using items, switching pokemon, and editing the pokemon's macros, but it will be controlled with letters so that the player can move freely around and escape from battles.
Multiple pokemon can battle at once. You can have 6 vs 6 matches but no more.
Ally pokemon don't attack because of their nature, they follow the macros you set (there will be an in-game tutorial for setting up various macros like healers, stat boosters etc. which I'm planning to use as moves which can apply to all allies or specific ones) You can set your pokemon up to be agressive and attack the closest enemy, or stay away from the enemy and heal allies until the enemy is weak. There will be several macro slots available (with several more unlocked as your pokemon levels up) and there will be a chain of command for these slots, meaning that if you place a macro that makes your pokemon heal itself eg. Move: Rest Condition: self HP < 30, then you need to place it ABOVE your attack macro. Because the game will check the slots in decending order, it will check if it's own hp is below 30 (it will perform the heal action if true) if it isn't below 30, it will try the next macro which is attack. If the attack is processed first, then it will always be true and complete the attack without doing anything else, this is because attack macros look like this, Move: Struggle, Condition: enemy HP > 0. This system is ingenious because you can add type-checks to form more complicated macros like this: 1. Move: Fire Blast, Condition: enemy type = grass,ice,bug,steel 2. Move: Scratch, Condition: enemy HP > 0.
The ally pokemon will not move too far from the player, they will continue trying to attack until the enemy escapes
The attack system is real-time and the speed of attacks are based on speed of the pokemon.
The attack formula is based on the fr/lg formula for damage (very slightly modified)
The experience formula has an addition based on the STAB (same-type attack bonus) from the damage formula. It will replace all instances of ev's and dv's by adding stat-exp to the skill being used rather than stat-exp being gained through battling specific pokemon repeatedly, for example, a pokemon using Fire Punch will get stat-exp in Special Attack and also in Attack (because it is both physical and elemental)
The actual experience formula is a modified version of the Generation 5 experience formula, where exp is heavily based on enemy level and the difference in ally-enemy levels but the experience will be given on a per-hit basis rather than at the end of battle, the player will get bonus experience for completing the battle.

Any comments, please feel free to post them. I'm gonna be working on the battle system, then update the 1st post of this thread and try to get an alpha out in good time, I'm more focused on quality at this point. But please, please give me some feedback!!! Especially about which wild pokemon should have which natures (hostile or non-hostile) and why. This game needs your input to remain on track!

Are you still working on this game or did you dump this, if so when do you think you will be done?

DarkDoom3000

Super Pokemon Eevee Edition
Years
As a programmer, the described battle system sounds AMAZING.
really excited to try it out. :D

Is the system from FFXII? haven't played it, but a friend was once describing the gambit system, and it sounds somewhat similar.

Years
Thank you very much Cilerba :)
I have news for the game, we will be using Pokemon Essentials and HM7.
I'm a little frustrated with the battle system seeing that I nearly finished the second time and then had massive data loss again.. So I'm being a cautious cat this time, only using the good PC to dev on..
I really wanted to include the battle system before I lost it.. But I'm just going to use the Essentials battle sys for now. It was a bit laggy doing so much event processing, no matter how optimised.. We might see a return to this later if I'm up to it..
I have lost a lot, but I've also gained a lot too.. So I'm currently working overtime to bring some change to the game.. I've got a website up and running, a blog started, and I've also opened a forum for discussions about development of the game but it's not really ready yet.. Anyone that wishes to join the team is welcome, we currently have 1 member and that is me :(
But nevermind, I'm sure over time people will join to be a part of the game and the serious ones are welcome to help. I had a few people helping in various ways with storyline suggestions etc. and I figured a forum would be a far more efficient way to do things this time, instead of my PM box filling up every few days..

There is a slightly more-updated version of the demo on the website (but remember this is the old demo, I just fixed a few things like the speed of the hero's mom.. I forgot about the passable tiles before I uploaded so that's still there, no new maps or anything sorry)

That's all for now. I'm currently re-doing gfx that were lost in the crash. I will update more frequently this time, and if you don't see anything here, check the blog :)

Years
  • Seen Aug 12, 2013
Hi I download this game but it doesn't work.Can you create this game for Visual Gameboy Advance?Please

Years
  • Seen Aug 12, 2013
How play in pokemon indigo league demo?I download and doesn't work.Can someone explain me how play in this game?

Years
Adam, if you want anyone to help, you need to post what the error was..
I assume you're getting the standard problem that seems to get posted here, if you google "rmxp rtp" I'm sure you'll find the solution. If you still have any trouble, just post what the error is here.

Ok, so I'm back to give a little update on what's been happening. I wasn't able to do anything for the past few days because I've been in another state for my grandparent's 50th wedding anniversary, but I'm back now so I'll show you what's been done already.
I've started work on the first structure, Ash's house :)

Front:
2laftqc.png

Side:
2emlq81.png

I went back to basics and tried to represent the anime's many depictions of the house in sprite form (the heightmap will be made to suit the sprite). I'm sure I've seen like a little patio or veranda out the front of ash's house before, but the 2 images on bulbapedia didn't show anything like that.. Thanks to KyleDove for the base sprite.
Ok so that's where we're at. I'm happy with the gfx so now I need to make the textures and heightmap it, and I'll give you guys a sneak peek at the 3d version ;)

Back