• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen What will the Fifth Gen. Games be most remembered for?

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
Simple question but could get some deep responses!

What do you think the games are most remembered for? Is it the fact that they were the ones to introduce Pokemon such as Stunfisk or Garbodor, maybe the fact that they brought N to life, or even that they were the first games to really push the whole ying/yang thing, and gave us Unova? Share your thoughts from both a personal (what they're most remembered for to you) and what you think others most remember the games for. ^^

Years
5th gen is pretty weird compared to the other games.

For one, it introduced a LOT of new pokemon, the most even including gen 1. Some of these pokemon aren't well liked, though, and a lot of people like to hate on them. "Oh, they made an ice cream cone pokemon? Wow, they must be running out of ideas..."

I remember BW as just having a great story. It was really well put together and it went further than any other pokemon game (in my opionion.) BW2 also had an okay story, but I feel the Purrloin thing went a bit too far.

Years
I feel like 5th Gen was the first truly "unique" generation because there was so much new things that came with these games. It was the first time since 1st Gen there was a regional Dex of only new Pokemon, it was set in a region based on a non-Japanese area, and more environmental diversity.

I also feel like the characters had a lot more personality to them, and the Pokemon designs were also quite elaborate compared to most previous generations. That's why I love Unova so much.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
I think what the 5th generation is going to be remembered for amongst the fanbase, for better or worse, is what made it divisive: the story, the Pokemon designs, the Gen 5 pokes only thing in Black/White, and the fact that it got sequel games. Those are generally the major points that people tend to feel a bit strongly about.

Personally I liked those things.

Oh and PokeStar Studios, I'll remember the games for that too

and Zekrom

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 30, 2024
Gen 5 will most certainly be remembered by all Pokémon fans for its in-depth story and beautifully-executed characters. Even today N remains one of the most popular characters of the entire franchise. It will also be remembered as the generation that gave us direct sequels as a way to expand its successful story, as opposed to what was considered to be a series-standard retelling. For those who are more fond of gen 5 specifically, they'll remember it for not only the reasons above, but also for its other unique charms, such as the return of extensive version differences, or the PWT and PokéStar Studios.

Years
Rivvon has a good point here, I mainly remember B/W for the deep story aspect while B2/W2 is what I remember more for its features. The use of differences between versions other than the Pokemon encounters was a neat concept as well, and I was kinda disappointed 6th Gen didn't have it.

Having direct sequels to extend the story was something we never expected, but was a welcome addition. It struck the perfect balance with the deep story and the large amount of features.

Years
Having the most controversial pokemon designs. At least how I see it from non-hardcore pokemon fans. But for me personally it will be the radically different versions from the base and "3rd" games.

Years
In general, the 5th gen is kind of forgotten and also looked at as being that generation with "the ice cream cone and the trash bag"
But within the deeper Pokemon fanbase, it will be remembered for its story.

Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2023
some really bad pokemon lol... im kidding but sort of serious

all i ever hear is how great the story and N is so probably just that. but for me what i remember it for are all the things i didn't like about it.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 20, 2023
The amount of pokemon (I really don't hate most of them)
PWT
Pokestars studios
A sequel
No old-generation pokemon

_Dud_

I can't C#
Years
The way Game Freak entered the "2.5 dimensional" aspect in some cases was quite remarkable, though the most prominent feature 5th gen will be remembered for would probably be the unique and in-depth story line. For once I actually felt guilty making my Pokemon fight when I found out Team Plasma' motive, and some scenes in the game were genuinely engaging.

Years
In general, the 5th gen is kind of forgotten and also looked at as being that generation with "the ice cream cone and the trash bag"
But within the deeper Pokemon fanbase, it will be remembered for its story.

I can see your point, because while 5th Gen gets slammed for "weird" designs, and of course the Trubbish and Vanillite lines who are in my opinion not as badly designed as you think. It's mainly much deeper down that you have to learn where the positives of this generation really lie.

atmmachine11

Jumping portals since 1997.
Years
I could go on and on about all the things I love about the fifth generation, however, I will keep it to a minimum. I absolutely love the region's landscape. I love exploring it in both Black/White and Black 2/White 2. I think all of the town's and cities are very well designed, and on top of that all of the monuments. Although I'm actually not a huge fan of all of the gym leader's designs, some of my favorite gym leaders come from this gen, including my favorite gym leader of all time Marlon. I'm a huge fan of generation one, as it's what I had as a kid and I know most of that is probably due to nostalgia. It might be surprising to some gen 1ers that I myself could be considered one, yet my favorite regions are the 1st and 5th, two very different regions and generations. I also love the designs of the Pokemon a lot. I think it is one of the most unique Pokemon generations in that regard. A lot of the Pokemon are one's we have never seen before. I do know some of them are similar to older Pokemon (of course we have bat's, burly dudes and steel thingies) but there are a lot that do not resemble any previous Pokemon, such as Bisharp, or Scraggy for instance. I actually like the uniqueness of the fifth gen, and a lot of the Pokemon people dislike from this generation, I welcome with open arms. I love Vanilite. I'm a huge lover of animals in real life, so first gen helps with that in how it has a lot of Pokemon that simply resemble animals, but, I'm glad fifth gen gave us a breathe of fresh air with a lot of unique Pokemon that don't really resemble anything from our real world. It's not real after all, it's a game.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
Mostly the amount of hate it received (mostly from genwunners).
Ice cream and garbage Pokemon?!? Generation 1 had the best Pokimanz hurdur!11one!!!11

I loved the Gen V games. Especially with the moving sprites :3
I always wanted the sprites to move ever since I saw them in Crystal.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
Years
  • Age 35
  • NCR
  • Seen Nov 11, 2019
I'll mostly remember 5th gen for BW1's very dark and serious story compared to the rest of the series as well as the introduction of very powerful Bug Types and a lot of high powered moves.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen May 11, 2017
I'll remember Black and White as some of my favorite Pokemon games.
Really good story. Darker than the other games.
Introduced tons of new pokemon who I mostly like.

Also a lot of the Pokemon in this gen evolve at super high levels. I consider over 40 really high.

First gen there was Rhydon at 42 and Dragonite at 55
Second gen was Tyranitar at 55
Third gen was Aggron at 42, Glalie at 42, Flygon at 45, Walrein at 44, Metagross at 45 and Salamence at 50.
Fourth gen was Garchomp at 48.
In fifth gen we have Beheeyem 42, Golurk 43, Vanilluxe 47, Haxorus 48, Kinklang 49, Mienshao 50, Bisharp 52, Braviary 54, Mandibuzz 54, Volcarona 59 and Hydreigon at a whopping level 64!!!
What the hell?!?!?! Bisharp, Volcarona and Hydreigon are pretty cool so it's worth it. But Mienshao? Level 50? Shouldn't that be reserved to a really cool psudo-legendary or something? It's not that big a deal but trying to fill up the Pokedex took forever haha

Even the early bug type you can catch (that usually evolve at like level 10-12) doesn't evolve until level 30!!!

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Gen V should be remembered for taking risks. It introduced a lot of Pokemon, only allowed for them to be found during the main quest, and gave us a lot of new ideas and mechanics. Entralink, Battle Subway, Dream World, Global Link, C-Gear, seasons, Unova Link, White Forest/Black City, Join Avenue...I'm sure I'm forgetting something. Either way though, it brought a lot of things. Not all of it worked out, but some of it was really fun and useful. And I like that about gen V. They tried a lot of things out and took more risks. Even the story in BW was taking a bigger dive than in previous installments.

So yeah. I think it can go down in Pokehistory for that.

Years
Gen V should be remembered for taking risks. It introduced a lot of Pokemon, only allowed for them to be found during the main quest, and gave us a lot of new ideas and mechanics. Entralink, Battle Subway, Dream World, Global Link, C-Gear, seasons, Unova Link, White Forest/Black City, Join Avenue...I'm sure I'm forgetting something. Either way though, it brought a lot of things. Not all of it worked out, but some of it was really fun and useful. And I like that about gen V. They tried a lot of things out and took more risks. Even the story in BW was taking a bigger dive than in previous installments.

So yeah. I think it can go down in Pokehistory for that.

I'm thinking about it the same way as you, when I first heard B/W get announced I was like "yay new generation is coming" and in the months that followed when all the info was dropping made me know that Game Freak was trying lots of new ideas with these games, and while some features weren't a big hit with fans I do feel like it was a true case of "risky but rewarding" as shown with some of the more useful features we got.

I also thought a story as dark as B/W's wouldn't work for a game like Pokemon but oh man did they prove me wrong.

Back