• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

Hack Tutorials: Scripting

Status
Not open for further replies.

foullump

Rom Hacking Guru
Years
Scripting Tutorial
For Pokescript

Hey everyone!
I've been on the community for a few months now, and I've learned many things about scripting, thanks to people like Irish

Witch, Zel, and Christos.
But....
Some of their stuff is pretty hard to understand, so I'm going to try making an easy-to-understand-tutorial.

All of this will be done on POKESCRIPT, the program created by Irish Witch.

Now then, let's begin.

Starting Off

The first thing needed to know about scripting is how to write text.
It can't simply be written as "blah blah blah",
It needs to be written in a special format.

Let's just say for all intentional purposes, we want to say this text.
Spoiler:

Now, we need to write it using slashes (\) and a certain character to indicate where that is in the talking. Observe.
Spoiler:

Last edited:

Short Range

Chargin' mah Solarbeam!
Years
What would happen it someone gave you a Pokemon but your Party was full? Would it overwrite a Pokemon or would it go straight to your box?

Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2020
You could have the script check if you have 6 pokémon in your party, and if you do you won't get the pokémon.
If it doesn't check for that it'll go to your box.

<~F.M.P~>

I got you whistling Blue Box!
Years
WOW! Nicely detailed tutorial I enjoyed it. It was really easy for ppl who still don't understand movements like me, can u elaborate where the var things go a lil more mabye like show a pic or somethin PLEASSE?

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Sep 12, 2012
How do you continue movements into another location eg a house.

redragon

Beginning Hacker
Years
  • Seen Jul 19, 2007
How do I put the script into the rom though?

BTW, thanks for this, it's alot easier to understand than the elite map tutorial for scripting.

giova90

Moebius
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jul 5, 2014
ok i've a question!
can i put a script that you tell with a sprite and at the end it jump somewhere?(for example as tha hack mitic island, when the lady getting in the water!the only oddity is how the water do a
spurt?)
:-)
i'm not a native i only speak bad the english!!!
please reply

redragon

Beginning Hacker
Years
  • Seen Jul 19, 2007
It possible to make a person follow you, because after I'm done with my current project, I plan on making a Yellow remake.

foullump

Rom Hacking Guru
Years
what if there is no "compile" selection? Im soo close, I can taste it...... :( but I cant get passed "compile"

Open pokescript, and then go to file, database, then select from pkmn advance "commands". Then go to file, encode, and chose your script.

Years
  • Seen Aug 30, 2007

foullump,I still don't get it (a bit)i understand the bit with the sample of the aid giving the potion,but not the talk,well i haven't
read through the whole thing so tht might be the problem...... oh well,im just a beginner:paranoid:

redragon

Beginning Hacker
Years
  • Seen Jul 19, 2007
Uhh... sorry, good tut, but I don't get this, I typed up a script to give a pokemon, did all the stuff you said to do in pokescript, then hit encode, chose the rom and got this error message:
- Buffer Blown -
#PROCESS: c:\docume~1\hp_adm~1\desktop\comple~1\programs\elitemap\Copy (3) of 0907 - Pokemon - Ruby Version (U) (v1.0)BACKUP.gba F:2 for input
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Invalid Command : ê$ÿ®qiš¢!="'

attached: "ê$ÿ®qiš¢!="'
"ä ­$‹˜à!£r¾" î fjjø" into 0
|
\- Processed 820 Lines

#PROCESS: c:\docume~1\hp_adm~1\desktop\comple~1\programs\elitemap\Copy (3) of 0907 - Pokemon - Ruby Version (U) (v1.0)BACKUP.buf F:2 for write
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT BUFFER DROP 10 [NO COMMENT]
DROPPING 0 Pointers
BUFFER 0 DROP: 38 [ê$ÿ®qiš¢!="'
"ä ­$‹˜à!£r¾" î fjjø]
|
\- Processed 16 Buffers

|
\- Processed 820 Lines

|
\- Processed 0 Lines

foullump

Rom Hacking Guru
Years
Uhh... sorry, good tut, but I don't get this, I typed up a script to give a pokemon, did all the stuff you said to do in pokescript, then hit encode, chose the rom and got this error message:
- Buffer Blown -
#PROCESS: c:\docume~1\hp_adm~1\desktop\comple~1\programs\elitemap\Copy (3) of 0907 - Pokemon - Ruby Version (U) (v1.0)BACKUP.gba F:2 for input
Invalid Command : ê$ÿ®qiš¢!="'

attached: "ê$ÿ®qiš¢!="'
"ä ­$‹˜à!£r¾" î fjjø" into 0
|
\- Processed 820 Lines

#PROCESS: c:\docume~1\hp_adm~1\desktop\comple~1\programs\elitemap\Copy (3) of 0907 - Pokemon - Ruby Version (U) (v1.0)BACKUP.buf F:2 for write
COMMENT BUFFER DROP 10 [NO COMMENT]
DROPPING 0 Pointers
BUFFER 0 DROP: 38 [ê$ÿ®qiš¢!="'
"ä ­$‹˜à!£r¾" î fjjø]
|
\- Processed 16 Buffers

|
\- Processed 820 Lines

|
\- Processed 0 Lines

Sorry, but you'll have to ask Irish Witch, because I don't know anything about programming.

<~F.M.P~>

I got you whistling Blue Box!
Years
Is there any specific reason my game freezes when I put one of your scripts in?

Look at the script again u might have miss typed something what script are u making i might be able to help.

Mine also freezes at give pokemon script the script works but when the dude spots me he walks to me and my screen goes red I have the trainer box checked and a set viewrange but it freezes when he reaches me can somone help with that?

foullump

Rom Hacking Guru
Years
Look at the script again u might have miss typed something what script are u making i might be able to help.

Mine also freezes at give pokemon script the script works but when the dude spots me he walks to me and my screen goes red I have the trainer box checked and a set viewrange but it freezes when he reaches me can somone help with that?

In order for him to be a trainer, his script must be a trainerbattle script.
Make sure there's no lock or faceplayer in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back