• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th gen OU team

Zeus2398

God
Years
Okay, this is my first RMT, but feel free to absolutely tear the team to pieces, as long as its constructive criticism, not just "Euch, your team is crap, I could rip you to pieces with my team" and that rubbish. I've been having mixed results with this team. I'm not that experienced in the way of the competitive battle, but I try my best. I've been playing for about two months, it would be four, but I had a long (unintended) break of two months. So, the team:

Team building process:
Spoiler:

Now, for the team:

620.png

Mienshao (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Hi Jump Kick
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Fake Out
- U-turn

The attacking lead. Haven't used yet, have decided I'm only gonna go competitive if I'm: a) really bored, or b) if its the weekend. Since its only Thursday, I haven't had the pleasure, will play on Saturday though, and when I do, I'll give you the results, for Mienshao and Reuniclus!

639.png

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- X-Scissor
- Earthquake

My physical sweeper, the powerhouse of the team. He is very speedy, as you can see (Jolly, Scarf, 252 spd EV's). Close Combat is a powerful STAB, as is Stone Edge, X-Scissor for coverage, and EQ for the EdgeQuake combo.

251.png

Celebi @ Life Orb
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Giga Drain
- Psychic
- Nasty Plot
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Celebi, the special sweeper. I've used this set before, to great success. Nasty Plot, twice if I find myself in a pickle (e.g, Hydreigon), then sweep. You can 6-0 with this thing. Giga Drain for STAB and healing, Psychic for STAB, Nasty Plot for stat boosting, HP Fire for Steels, particularly the teams weakness, Ferrothorn.

200px-227Skarmory.png

Skarmory (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Spikes
- Whirlwind
- Brave Bird
- Roost

Skarmory, the hazard-er and phazer. Set up Spikes, Whirlwind, repeat, Roost if needed, Brave Bird on any unsuspecting Bug or Fight types. Simple as that. Walls decently well, even if that isn't his purpose.

180px-377Regirock.png

Regirock @ Leftovers
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Curse
- Rest
- Stone Edge
- Sleep Talk

CurseRock, punching holes in teams, taking no damage at all from physical attacks, especially with a few Curses up. 2 or 3 Curses, and even Garchomp's EQ only does about 20-25%. Curse, of course, for boosting, Rest for healing, Stone Edge for damaging, and Sleep Talk because I don't think Rest is good without it (With one exception, Harvest Lum Berry Exeggutor). Tanked quite a few teams, after the special sweeper are gone. Considering Rock Slide over Stone Edge, because he stays in there for a while, thoughts?

300px-579Reuniclus.png

Reuniclus (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 242 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Recover

Haven't actually played with Reuniclus yet, but I have used this set, and, let me tell you, he is good! Calm Mind for stat-up, Psyshock for STAB and hitting Special Walls, Focus Blast for coverage, and Recover for insta-heal.

As I said before, rip this team to shreds, as long as its helpful. Don't be like this guy I battled on PO who beat me. "I know why you lost"
"Why?"
"You aren't Asian"

Final look at the team:
620.gif
639.gif
251.gif
227.gif
377.gif
579.gif

Well, that's my team folks, so, please, as I said, constructive criticism.

Last edited:

Zeus2398

God
Years
Sorry for the double post, but come on! I need you guys to help me make this team better... I'm not very good! Also, bumping this thread, really want people to comment...

flamehaze94

Jeste!
Years
Outrage is not a good attack option if unSTABed. Kangaskhan Outrage is pitifully weak. Something like Ferrothorn or Forretress can come in and set 1~2 free layers of Spikes which your entire team bar Skarmory is affected by. Replace it with something else it can use... Sucker Punch?

You also have 4 Pokemon weak to fighting, and it seems you rely on Celebi and Terrakion too much to take care of their weaknesses. Both have no reliable recover option and both are affected by all 3 entry hazards. Too risky. If Terrakion dies opposing Terrakion and Lucario have a field day. What you can get from this is, keep Terrakion alive. Things like DD Gyarados, Lati@s, and the aforementioned fighters give this team a lot of trouble otherwise.

There's also a lack of attacking variety on this team. Skarmory and such can wall the entire team and if its specially defensive it can tank Celebi HP Fires as well. Gliscor can Taunt + SD on pretty much everything besides boosted Celebi and sweep with its coverage moves.

This isn't really a rate so much as a "heads up" tbh.

Zeus2398

God
Years
Outrage is not a good attack option if unSTABed. Kangaskhan Outrage is pitifully weak. Something like Ferrothorn or Forretress can come in and set 1~2 free layers of Spikes which your entire team bar Skarmory is affected by. Replace it with something else it can use... Sucker Punch?

You also have 4 Pokemon weak to fighting, and it seems you rely on Celebi and Terrakion too much to take care of their weaknesses. Both have no reliable recover option and both are affected by all 3 entry hazards. Too risky. If Terrakion dies opposing Terrakion and Lucario have a field day. What you can get from this is, keep Terrakion alive. Things like DD Gyarados, Lati@s, and the aforementioned fighters give this team a lot of trouble otherwise.

There's also a lack of attacking variety on this team. Skarmory and such can wall the entire team and if its specially defensive it can tank Celebi HP Fires as well. Gliscor can Taunt + SD on pretty much everything besides boosted Celebi and sweep with its coverage moves.

This isn't really a rate so much as a "heads up" tbh.

Yeah, I did say I wasn't great :I. But Kanga's Outrage does really well, even if I only use it on Dragons...

As for the Fight weakness, Celebi, Skarmory, and Regirock can take care of it. Regirock has extremely high def, especially after a few Curses. His only real weakness is special moves. Special Lucario wrecks him. BUT, that being said, I usually manage to get round it.

Also, I was looking on help with replacing, movesets, etc. But, you helped, and replied, so, thanks!

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Your team is not too great. I personally beleive in not using legendaries. See, they are alot like hacking. Well, that's just my opinion. If I were you I would not use the life orb as a held item and instead put a kings rock, i know it sounds dumb, but it causes your enemies to flinch. and replace umbreon's leftovers with a brightpowder, or something.
I think leftovers are nice, but brightpowder lower accuracy is nice too.
Now, Reguarding your pokemon's movesets. I like them enough, but I'd replace Kankaskahn's earthquake, because you have two Pokemon who know the same move, and while Terrikion I feel benefits more from Earthquake.
I am someone who doesn't like to waste time with Stat raising moves, but it's your choice if you really want to keep Nasty Plot. Maybe I'd replace it with Shadow Ball. I think Celebi can learn that, but if not, sorry. ^.^
Now, I can tell you right now, I don't much like Skarmory's moveset. Spikes and Whirlwind seem like a waste of time to me, especially when half of my own Pokemon team has levitate. Running unto a team like mine would make Skarmory quite useless.
Umbreons moveset is alright, but I'd delete Wish for something better. Protect and toxic are great, but wish... Falls short, sure it heals your Pokemon, but when you are already destroying the enemy with Toxic and protect, why not just kill them now?

Overall your team is good, interesting Strategy, I'd like to battle you when I've finished gathering my own team completely. I'm missing one member.
Spikes is useful in reducing the amount of attacks needed to KO a grounded opponent by inflicting passive damage. Whirlwind is useful for forcefully sending away something you don't want to deal with.

Wish is useful for giving HP to the Pokemon who need recovery.

Also, just because a legendary is legendary doesn't mean it's very good (like Articuno and Entei).

As for my feedback: Your team has a huge Fighting weakness, so I'd like to replace Umbreon for something else (it isn't doing much outside of support), like Reuniclus, who can check/counter Fighting threats like Mienshao and Conkeldurr:
-Calm Mind
-Psychic/Psyshock
-Focus Blast
-Recover
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SAtk
Item: Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard

Zeus2398

God
Years
Spikes is useful in reducing the amount of attacks needed to KO a grounded opponent by inflicting passive damage. Whirlwind is useful for forcefully sending away something you don't want to deal with.

Wish is useful for giving HP to the Pokemon who need recovery.

Also, just because a legendary is legendary doesn't mean it's very good (like Articuno and Entei).

As for my feedback: Your team has a huge Fighting weakness, so I'd like to replace Umbreon for something else (it isn't doing much outside of support), like Reuniclus, who can check/counter Fighting threats like Mienshao and Conkeldurr:
-Calm Mind
-Psychic/Psyshock
-Focus Blast
-Recover
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SAtk
Item: Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard

This is the kind of advice I was looking for! But, I'm just thinking, should I run this set, or a TR set? I'll definitely try this, though, thanks! Umbreon wasn't doing great recently anyway... Also, I was thinking, should I replace Terrakion with a physical Lucario? Oh, and, btw, Whirlwind is also helpful for murdering things with Spikes :).

Last edited:

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
i'd much rather use a more reliable lead/user of fake out than kangaskhan. its got a nice fake out yeah but then beyond that its fairly useless because it's slow and not too powerful and is bound to die quickly. id rather use something like mienshao, who has a solid fake out + uturn combo as well as regenerate to ensure it can come in again and again and again and do the same thing, plus it has solid speed so it will be able to outrun most things and decimate them etc. cos i'm cool i c/p from smogon

move 1: Hi Jump Kick
move 2: U-turn
move 3: Hidden Power Ice
move 4: Fake Out / Stone Edge
item: Life Orb
nature: Naive
ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe

Zeus2398

God
Years
i'd much rather use a more reliable lead/user of fake out than kangaskhan. its got a nice fake out yeah but then beyond that its fairly useless because it's slow and not too powerful and is bound to die quickly. id rather use something like mienshao, who has a solid fake out + uturn combo as well as regenerate to ensure it can come in again and again and again and do the same thing, plus it has solid speed so it will be able to outrun most things and decimate them etc. cos i'm cool i c/p from smogon

move 1: Hi Jump Kick
move 2: U-turn
move 3: Hidden Power Ice
move 4: Fake Out / Stone Edge
item: Life Orb
nature: Naive
ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe

I would have given you a superior look, said "mmmmm-hmmm" and copy pasted Kanga's base stats from serebii, but then I looked at Mienshao's, and, um, bye Kangaskhan! We had some good times, but its time to leave... *sniffles*. The only complaint I have is lower HP, def, and sp.def...

Back