• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The future of Pokemon's games

Years
Now as the next generation of Pokemon games about to get released I wonder what will be the next development, what to expect and when will it come?

It's hard for me to believe that there are people here, fans of the Pokemon's games, that are not familiar with the game Pokemon Generations. This game, although being fan-made, probably aim for what I, and you, always wished for to be able to do in a Pokemon game. Unfortunately, its creator cannot afford working on it as much as we might want him to, and so not long ago announced that the updates on the underdeveloped game will become infrequently (which none can blame him).

That notification got me thinking, is it really to much to ask for a proper, life-like Pokemon game?
I think not. Whether if it is fan-made or by Game Freak, we deserve a Pokemon game with an A.I that a game like Black & white had for more than a decade and finally an open world to actually allow us to create our own adventure.
Thankfully, there might be a chance for us to work and create ourselves that Pokemon game thanks to the anticipated, Project Spark - if only they'll release a Character Creature like in Spore.

So making the game ourselves is a possibility, but should we do so? Do we want to? To make it really life-like, or series-like, won't be easy doesn't matter how much Project Spark will simplified it.

So, before making a U turn to the thread's main questions let me ask this:
Can Game Freak keep going by the same build it used even in the new X&Y for future games?
Yes, 3D and so much things we are able to do now. Yet although look different, the main things (battles, interaction with NPCs, traveling) remained the same.
How long will it keep satisfying us players?
Can tell you that the last game I played was Ruby and the only reason I bought 3DS XL is for the changes in X&Y, but will I buy Z game, or what ever that will get released next and have the same design, no. Just like I stopped watching the series or buying figures. If I can't get a real Pokeball, at least give me something good to watch or a good game to play.

The main questions...
The next development for the portable games I hope will supply a better Pokemon A.I for battles and training - could be more, but a proper A.I is the least I ask today from new games.
What I do expect is more developments for the online gaming and character design.
I don't care much for the second part, but the first I hope we'll get before I'll die or be tired from the franchise.

Years
I like the game, however, honestly, I hope Nintendo doesn't make a game like that.
Because making a game like that would need more work and attention than all previous games combined. It's not that I dont want Pokemon to be 3D with possibility of controlling a Pokemon, it is just that I don't want Nintendo to stop making usual games, where you are a trainer. I wouldn't mind Bethesda (creators of Skyrim) making a game like that, letting Nintendo work on classic concept. But Game Freak would pretty much never allow that.
On the other that, maybe Pokemon game with such a concept wouldn't bge so bad but I think it would need a MUCH STRONGER console.

PeskyJoltik

EPICLY HAPPY
Years
Well how about combining Nintendo with the other game companies, I mean, creating a game with 2 game companies working together to make that certain game. Well I know that's a bit hard, but can they try or do something? If they do, that would be great! For example, Nintendo and Rockstar. They can make a GTA ( Grand Theft Auto ) Pokemon game! That would be awesome! Hahaha! But ye, seriously. Any video game companies..

yungdialysis

shoutout to britney spears
Years
Yeah it is IMPRESSIVE how good the movements where made in pokemon generations. So fluid and the sounds and the way how you throw a pokeball and the pokemon goes in the ball is amazing. However i think your right but me myself, i never get bored from any pokemon game and i love them all!!!

Years
I like the game, however, honestly, I hope Nintendo doesn't make a game like that.
Because making a game like that would need more work and attention than all previous games combined. It's not that I dont want Pokemon to be 3D with possibility of controlling a Pokemon, it is just that I don't want Nintendo to stop making usual games, where you are a trainer. I wouldn't mind Bethesda (creators of Skyrim) making a game like that, letting Nintendo work on classic concept. But Game Freak would pretty much never allow that.
On the other that, maybe Pokemon game with such a concept wouldn't bge so bad but I think it would need a MUCH STRONGER console.

I don't think they need to give us full control over the Pokemon, which is not that different from the way it is right now. In game like Black & White and Digimon World 1, the creature fight on his own, move, avoid and strike the way you trained him to, and the trainer look from the sidelines commending the use of special attacks.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Sep 17, 2019
As a spin off game, I could see it happening, but as a main game title, no. At the moment, Pokemon has a very popular, strategical, and in depth competitive scene that would basically be destroyed if it made the jump from a turn based RPG, to something like Pokemon Generations. They have worked so hard on making sure that the battle system is as good, and perfect as possible, and to change this in the main games, would just be the wrong thing to do. Just look at other franchises such as Legend of Zelda, and Mega Man. Those franchises have never changed the basic gameplay, but instead, have improved upon what they have made. It's the same with Pokemon. With every passing generation, the battle system is getting better and better, with added improvements added in every generation. If you are getting sick of the gameplay, then just play the spin offs. When people say that Pokemon is the same thing every year, they seem to always forget about these games. Mystery Dungeon, Pokemon Rangers, Pokepark etc, are Pokemon games that all play different from the main games. Plus, I believe that as long as they keep improving on the battle system, it won't get tiresome at all. As long as it doesn't become like CoD where every feature added, is just for the sake off adding something, then the franchise is good where it is. No change in genre or battle system is needed. Along with the added variety in spin off games, nothing about the franchise needs to change whatsoever.

Back