The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > Discussions & Debates

Notices

Discussions & Debates The place to go for slightly more in-depth topics. Discussions and debates about the world, current events, ideas, news, and more.

Old May 27th, 2013, 05:58 PM
Mr. X
Oops
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Your still under the incorrect assumption that she was 17 when she began the relationship. She wasn't. She was 18, a adult, when she entered the relationship with the 14 year old, a child. Her being 17 when the relationship began was part of the ******** sandwich her parents tried feeding everyone.

What would the age of consent be in this case though? That age differs from the age that a person is consdiered a adult.

But to your question, if 21 was when a person is considered a adult, would you support a relationship between a 20 year old and a 8 year old? Afterall, neither are adults.

Come play Runescape
Old May 27th, 2013, 06:23 PM
Jay0173
Author

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Skype™ to Jay0173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. X View Post
Your still under the incorrect assumption that she was 17 when she began the relationship. She wasn't. She was 18, a adult, when she entered the relationship with the 14 year old, a child. Her being 17 when the relationship began was part of the ******** sandwich her parents tried feeding everyone.
Ummm, insulting the girl's parents was really uncalled for. Show some respect.

Quote:
What would the age of consent be in this case though? That age differs from the age that a person is considered a adult.
The age of consent in Florida is 18. Anyone engaging in sexual activity with another person under 18 could be charged under Florida law. Including a 16 year old boy with a 15 year old girl, or the reverse. The punishment for having sex with someone under 18 is 15 years in prison. There is no close-in-age exemption.

Quote:
But to your question, if 21 was when a person is considered a adult, would you support a relationship between a 20 year old and a 8 year old? Afterall, neither are adults.
Mr. X, again you keep deflecting the topic. We're not discussing murderers or prepubescent children here. We're talking about two consenting teens with a 3 year age gap (their ages are now 18 and 15 btw).

JAY
3411-1525-5963

Dark-Type Safari with: Sneasel, Vullaby & Liepard
Personal Website
Canadaquaria Forum nScale.net
"...many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view." ~ Obi Wan Kenobi
Old May 27th, 2013, 06:29 PM
Mr. X
Oops
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
I didn't insult the parents. I stated fact - They tried passing off lies, ********, as fact when the case first hit the news. Then again, the truth hurts. So I guess Truthful and Insulting would have similar definitions.

The age of consent was directed to your comment about raising the ages at which a person is considered a adult, as was the case between the 20 and 8 year old.

The age gap is 3 now. But your forgetting something - The ages were 18 and 14 when the events occurred. And Kate was 18, a adult, when she decided to enter a relationship and have sexual conduct with a child.

Also Florida DOES have a close in age exemption. It does, however, apply for those over 16 and in relations with those up to 23 years old.

Come play Runescape

Last edited by Mr. X; May 27th, 2013 at 07:27 PM.
Old May 28th, 2013, 07:33 AM
gimmepie
The Seeker of Pies

Nature: Mild
An interesting question you asked about the higher age there Jay...

As Mr. X said one factor there is what is the age of consent? A higher age of adulthood doesn't necessarily mean a higher age of consent. As for would I have a problem with the relationship or support it... I admit I'd be less against it, assuming that the age of consent is still 16, but I would still have a problem with a person who will almost certainly be finished developing into biological/psychological (not to be confused with legal) adulthood being in a relationship, likely one of a sexual/intimate nature, with a person who is by far still a child psychologically. That and the issue of the age difference still having one girl well below the age of becoming an adult when the other hit it would still be ther.e.. but it wouldn't be quite as bad since the younger girl would have then hit the age of consent. At that point it is more up to the discretion of the parents of the younger girl and the partners themselves.
Old May 28th, 2013, 12:11 PM
Jay0173
Author

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Skype™ to Jay0173
Well, we'll just have to see how this plays out. I will be watching for further updates to this story.

JAY
3411-1525-5963

Dark-Type Safari with: Sneasel, Vullaby & Liepard
Personal Website
Canadaquaria Forum nScale.net
"...many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view." ~ Obi Wan Kenobi
Old May 28th, 2013, 12:23 PM
Nakuzami
That Person's Name Is . . .
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
Okay, as far as my thoughts go on this case, I think it's all a bunch of bull.

I myself am actually in a rather similar situation at the moment. I started dating my boyfriend when he was seventeen. He's eighteen now, and I turn fifteen next week. We're no longer legally allowed to be together, and there's an investigation going on because Child Protective Services received an anonymous phone call saying that someone believed we were having sex because we were apparently seen being "overly affectionate" on the street. In my case, I say that's ridiculous, because we stopped officially dating at the end of January, and even then we didn't kiss or anything in public. So, in my situation, I can understand that of these girls.

Age of consent laws don't cover maturity, and there's really no way that they can, so, in my opinion, it is entirely dependent on those involved.

P.S. - I'm in NY, and the people doing the investigation honestly don't give a flying f*** about the close-in-age laws. They'll try to persecute you regardless. I'm not even allowed to see my ex, and haven't for a month now. They also don't give a f*** what the kids involved in the investigation say. They pretty much ignore us, and try to put the "criminal" in jail by any means necessary. They, and those that file the reports, are only too happy to abuse such laws. By this, I mean the one who made the report on my ex was, I'm 99.9% certain, his cousin, whom asked me out and I rejected, and he did so out of jealousy.

So, basically, I'm in support of these girls.
And, if they did make things up like Mr. X said, then good for them. If they outright admit everything, the girl would be in jail in a flash, and nobody that's prosecuting her would think twice nor would they care. If they're trying to protect her, they should. After all, many aspects of the relationship are subjective, and it's honestly none of our freaking business. We don't know what happened, how their lives go, so people should just leave them alone.
Old May 31st, 2013, 07:31 PM
OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
I don't think there's anything wrong with these girls dating, I feel like they're overblowing the case here. Hopefully the elder girl will not go to jail for dating a younger girl.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links