• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen May 28, 2012
Hacking in Backsprites

Hi, I'm currently helping with a little ROM hack of my own, and I seem to have reached some troubles. Adding in the frontsprite for a Pokemon works all fine and dandy, yet whenever I add the backsprite the game freezes up.

If somebody could link me to a thread about adding backsprites, that would be appreciated. I can't seem to find the search function on this forum, and the tutorial that I'm using doesn't seem to have a troubleshooting section or anything like that.

Sorry for any inconvenience. I'd imagine that you'd get a lot of people asking for help in this section of the forum.

Years
  • Seen Nov 15, 2012
Could some on help me??
I'm trying to make a legendary battle.
here is the script I used:
#org $start
lock
faceplayer
cry 0xA1 6
#raw 0x33
pause 0x30
message $cry

$cry 1 =Chari-zasdfghjjgfsd!!
boxset 6
wildbattle 6 30 0x00
pause 0x60
fadescreen 0
removesprite 0x800f
setflag 0x1211
release
end

heres the problem
after I fight/Catch the pokemon (Charizard in my case)
it goes back to where I was before the battle and a red selection box thingy goes up in the
corner and the letters Z and N appears of the OW charizard.It won't let me move
until I click A then it plays a sound Like I selected something plays.

if you walk away from th OW the musc gets REALLY soft and one of the people
walking around the town has a chunk missing from his head.
I can rebattle it as much as I want and it won't go away.
I have a video I could show you if you want.
But anyway, can anyine help me??

Years
Could some on help me??
I'm trying to make a legendary battle.
here is the script I used:
#org $start
lock
faceplayer
cry 0xA1 6
#raw 0x33
pause 0x30
message $cry

$cry 1 =Chari-zasdfghjjgfsd!!
boxset 6
wildbattle 6 30 0x00
pause 0x60
fadescreen 0
removesprite 0x800f
setflag 0x1211
release
end

heres the problem
after I fight/Catch the pokemon (Charizard in my case)
it goes back to where I was before the battle and a red selection box thingy goes up in the
corner and the letters Z and N appears of the OW charizard.It won't let me move
until I click A then it plays a sound Like I selected something plays.

if you walk away from th OW the musc gets REALLY soft and one of the people
walking around the town has a chunk missing from his head.
I can rebattle it as much as I want and it won't go away.
I have a video I could show you if you want.
But anyway, can anyine help me??

This question really belongs in the Script Help thread.

But in answer to your question:
Have you tried viewing the script in A-Map? Use XSE to double check the script is in working order when you place your offset into A-Map. Unfortunately, you can't use Pokescript as a script viewer because you don't write scripts in Pokescript.

Is the legendary's sprite number 0x800f?
And are you sure setflag 0x1211 hasn't been used before?
You might also want to use waitstate after the wildbattle.
Also, don't leave any gaps in your script, you have one in the middle of message $cry and the message script.

Years
  • Seen Oct 23, 2012
How would I make a script run immediately after Oak's introduction, like in Black and White when the part with Cheren and Bianca happens before you get control of your character? Also, where is the data for the coordinates you start at stored? I want to change the location the hero character starts at on the map. I'm sure this has been asked at some point, but maybe I'm using the wrong keywords in my search.

EdensElite

No0b, but getting there.
Years
  • Age 29
  • UK
  • Seen Jul 4, 2014
How would I make a script run immediately after Oak's introduction, like in Black and White when the part with Cheren and Bianca happens before you get control of your character? Also, where is the data for the coordinates you start at stored? I want to change the location the hero character starts at on the map. I'm sure this has been asked at some point, but maybe I'm using the wrong keywords in my search.

I believe there is a program for editing where you start, I'm not sure of the name though, sorry.

If you want a script to start straight after Oak's Speech, then add it on to Oak's Speech script.

Years

You would need to create a Level script.
A level script activates when the player enter's a map. So in this case, you need one if you want some action to happen before you start playing.

Also, there is a program out there that can change your starting location but I cannot remember what it is called. Look though the Toolbox Forum. Should be there somewhere.

Last edited:
Years
First of all I would like to clarify that my question has already been resolved. (At least in part). I finally managed to understand a tutorial I've seen in the forum section.
A greeting.

Years
Okay, I'm looking for some help over here. It seems like nobody uses the Season Editor casue they don't know how. Well I implemented it [with relative success] and will post a tutorial soon but I've run into an error. First off: The seasons don't change in December. Idky. Secondly: At first everything is fine, however during the winter when I enter a menu [Bag/Trainer Card/Pokedex etc] the palettes/tiles get all screwy until I enter a house/building. Any advice?
Snow1.png

This is what I mean. The left is what it's supposed to look like, the right is what it looks like after opening a menu or engaging in a wild battle.
I'm afraid this could be an issue with the Day, Night and Seasons patch itself. I'm not a 'big' user on DNS as of yet because I do not fully trust it works 100%.
I am assuming the tiles go all weird because the tiles haven't been added into the game itself. I'm guessing you would have to take snowy tiles and insert them into A-Map and make them part of the game.

I am just guessing as I haven't really tested DNS properly yet. If I find out more for you, I shall let you know.

AustinWolff

has left
Years
when I try to compile a script in XSE it gives me this message
Spoiler:

When I delete that command and try to compile it, it gives me another message
Spoiler:

does anyone know whats wrong?

redriders180

Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
Years
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Did you try restarting XSE? Sometimes I get a similar problem (but usually with random letters), and restarting XSE usually helps.

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

It sounds like your copy of XSE is glitched since it doesn't even recognise two the most basic of commands. Try to download it again from another source if possible.

AustinWolff

has left
Years
thanks guys. I will probabaly just redownload it from hackmews page. I also have a script question. In my script my setvar is 0x6000 0x1. for the Amap var value, what would I put into there? would in be 6000?

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
thanks guys. I will probabaly just redownload it from hackmews page. I also have a script question. In my script my setvar is 0x6000 0x1. for the Amap var value, what would I put into there? would in be 6000?

If you don't want the script to be repeated when you step on the tile again, put 0 in the variable value box (assuming you haven't changed this variable beforehand) and 6000 in the variable number box. The variable number and value boxes work with each other to determine when to run your script. If the variable's in-game value is equal to what is in the value box, then the script will be performed, if not it will be skipped. Since you're setting 0x6000 to 0x1 during your script, then next time you go over the script again the value will have changed from 0x0 allowing you to bypass it.

Years
  • Seen Feb 2, 2012
This probably sounds pretty stupid, but is their a way to preview the game without playing it on VBA? Because I don't want to go through the whole game to get to an ending part.

Years
  • Seen Oct 23, 2012
I'm having problems with my XSE too, actually. Sometimes it just refuses to save my script changes when I try to compile them for advance map. I'll change some stuff and the compile process will happen, but when I open it from am again everything has reverted back. I've tried restarting XSE and Advance Map, but nothing seems to work. It's really frustrating. >.<

(For anyone who's curious, by the way, I found where your starting location is stored in Fire Red so you can edit it in Hex.)

redriders180

Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
Years
This probably sounds pretty stupid, but is their a way to preview the game without playing it on VBA? Because I don't want to go through the whole game to get to an ending part.

Typically, I usually put a warp somewhere in the players hometown to go anywhere. I also have a script that gives me all the badges and a couple Pokemon, along with any useful items. But, imo, you should play through the entire game, if only to make sure everything is working as it should.

(For anyone who's curious, by the way, I found where your starting location is stored in Fire Red so you can edit it in Hex.)

I'd be interested to know where that is, since the SMCA program won't work for my rom for whatever reason.

Years
  • Seen Oct 23, 2012
I'd be interested to know where that is, since the SMCA program won't work for my rom for whatever reason.

Spoiler:

How can I give a Pokemon a unique id that will allow it to be specifically given to someone (even after evolution), but not others of the same type?

Years
  • Seen Aug 5, 2013
Hello I finally got a snivy sprite,info and a lvl script in pokemon ruby. Now how do I add a icon to snivy in the pokemon party box?! Please and thanks!

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
How can I give a Pokemon a unique id that will allow it to be specifically given to someone (even after evolution), but not others of the same type?

Sorry, but I can't really understand your question. If I'm interpreting it correctly, you're asking how can you go about distinguishing a single Pokemon from others of the same species that you could catch in the wild - Is that correct?

If you're using JPAN's Hacked FR Engine, you could do this by giving the Pokemon you want to differentiate increased contest stats (Cool, Tough, Smart etc.) which are, for all intents and purposes, invisible. These changes will stay with the Pokemon forever regardless of evolution so it should be exactly what you're looking for. When you need to check for that specific Pokemon in a script, you will be able detect the changes and then continue on from there.

Off the top of my head, I'm not sure how you would be able to differentiate Pokemon in an unmodified engine (other than using ASM to get the job done). Hopefully this helps.

Hello I finally got a snivy sprite,info and a lvl script in pokemon ruby. Now how do I add a icon to snivy in the pokemon party box?! Please and thanks!

You can use Wichu's Icon Editor to edit the small pictures of Pokemon that you see in your party/ PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back