• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Research: FireRed Pokédex Hacking

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
1) Aren't there three palletes in the DS games as well? In fact the same ones?

2) New base EXP system? That is the same to isn't it? There is no need to update these things?

3) Jack confused =0

1) Yeah, DPPt has 3 icon pallets, all of which are the same as FR's, this much is clear. However, the Unova Pokémon clearly have a new set of pallets available to them, as there are quite a few icons which look dodgy (Snivy, Pansage/Simisage) or downright wrong (Munna, Basculin) in FR's pallets.

2) The old system only supported a byte for the base exp, giving us a ceiling value of 255. I needed higher as quite a number of Generation 2-5's legendaries got a rethink of base exp in Gen 4, which requires a half word. I made a table of a half-word for each species, separate from the existing data. Simple as that.

3) When using an item on a Pokémon in FireRed, the game plays a little animation. The co-ordinates I refer to are where on the screen the item gets "used on". I believe they are offsets from the centre of the screen, although I would need to find the table again to be sure.

Gamer2020

Accept no Imitations!
Years
1) Yeah, DPPt has 3 icon pallets, all of which are the same as FR's, this much is clear. However, the Unova Pokémon clearly have a new set of pallets available to them, as there are quite a few icons which look dodgy (Snivy, Pansage/Simisage) or downright wrong (Munna, Basculin) in FR's pallets.

You sure you dumped them with the right pallete? The ones I have look ok so idk =/

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
You sure you dumped them with the right pallete? The ones I have look ok so idk =/

Turns out you were right. I replaced a good few sprites with new ones, and there was a vast improvament in the colouring of those sprites. I still feel that there are a few which could do with a new pallet, but it's a low priority, if a priority at all.

Gamer2020

Accept no Imitations!
Years
Turns out you were right. I replaced a good few sprites with new ones, and there was a vast improvament in the colouring of those sprites. I still feel that there are a few which could do with a new pallet, but it's a low priority, if a priority at all.
Yay! =) Like I said before you are better off just using the question mark images cause most likely people will want to use differemt sprites. some people may even want to use fakemon.

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
Yay! =) Like I said before you are better off just using the question mark images cause most likely people will want to use differemt sprites. some people may even want to use fakemon.

I'll post the necessary info for people to extend upon this hack should they wish to, for fakemon/new generations if and when they come along. But I'm coming round to your way of thinking tbh, in that it might not be a bad idea just to release a basic patch with just the asm edited to support extra pokémon, but without the actual Pokémon included.

Gamer2020

Accept no Imitations!
Years
I'll post the necessary info for people to extend upon this hack should they wish to, for fakemon/new generations if and when they come along. But I'm coming round to your way of thinking tbh, in that it might not be a bad idea just to release a basic patch with just the asm edited to support extra pokémon, but without the actual Pokémon included.

I mean in my opinion it's better to just release the "how to" then an already made patch so people can actually learn. But it's up to you and the majority of people are just lazy and would only be interested in the patch version. Either way I do hope people actually credit you and appreciate what you have done because you have put a lot of work into adding all the data for the Pokemon.

Meta Paradox

Researching FireRed...
Years
  • Seen Jul 18, 2011
Why don't you release a do it yourself first then release a 5th Gen patch later on?

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
Why don't you release a do it yourself first then release a 5th Gen patch later on?

Very few people will acually be able to follow a tutorial for this through as there is a LOT of related data and asm to go with it.

It would take me longer to actually write the tutorial than to finish the patch now...

Paupir

Dreamer
Years
  • Age 33
  • UK
  • Seen Mar 7, 2015
I know you're doing this for yourself too, so you should just continue with a patch and maybe write up the basic info on what to do if you were to extend it, as planned :)

Though really, I'd want to port this to Emerald, so I'd somewhat prefer a nice long tutorial even if it was hard to follow XD - Was just planning on working with whatever you released and reverse engineering from there (if need be) to try porting it.

You're doing a stunning job, so no one minds waiting a little longer~

Years
Just a suggestion, but once this patch is finished, you (or somebody else) could make a tool for quickly adding Pokémon etc, which would help beginning hackers alot (as most of them can't even hex edit).

Anyway, you're doing a great job, good luck!

Shiny Quagsire

I'm Still Alive, Elsewhere
Years
Very few people will acually be able to follow a tutorial for this through as there is a LOT of related data and asm to go with it.

It would take me longer to actually write the tutorial than to finish the patch now...

I dunno, I'm more or less, looking into adding a few extra Pokemon instead of the whole Pokedex. Maybe instead of a big tutorial document, just to a quick run-through of the different limiting routines and how to patch them, and state the tables to repoint. That's all I'd need to get it. Then maybe later on you could make a more detailed document. But with basic innformation I could make a patcher to insert more Pokemon at ease, or one for your patch to things don't interfere with pre-existing data. Your choice. :)

Gamer2020

Accept no Imitations!
Years
Just a suggestion, but once this patch is finished, you (or somebody else) could make a tool for quickly adding Pokémon etc, which would help beginning hackers alot (as most of them can't even hex edit).

Anyway, you're doing a great job, good luck!

Maybe. That's not really necessary if a patch get's released. Let's all just let Jambo51 do what he want's to do. It's his work not ours.

@Jambo51 Give me a couple of days. I got the move tutors loading correctly is seems so I should be able to have it edit all moves by next release.

Last edited:

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
I dunno, I'm more or less, looking into adding a few extra Pokemon instead of the whole Pokedex. Maybe instead of a big tutorial document, just to a quick run-through of the different limiting routines and how to patch them, and state the tables to repoint. That's all I'd need to get it. Then maybe later on you could make a more detailed document. But with basic innformation I could make a patcher to insert more Pokemon at ease, or one for your patch to things don't interfere with pre-existing data. Your choice. :)

I might forward that info to you, but, like the already existing rom, if you don't want to use a Pokémon, just don't use it. XD
But the option to use any of the 649 existing pokémon is there. The option to add fakemon with dex entries/movesets etc is also there, as I WILL post the information needed to extend the dex further if people so wish. The main thing here is, aside from containing extra pokémon, it also allows hackers to add fakemon without overwriting any old pokémon. Win/Win no?

Maybe. That's not really necessary if a patch get's released. Let's all just let Jambo51 do what he want's to do. It's his work not ours.

@Jambo51 Give me a couple of days. I got the move tutors loading correctly is seems so I should be able to have it edit all moves by next release.

Fantastic. I really don't have much left to do now, so that's great news :)

I'll put up information on having a working regional dex in FR once i've finished this patch, allowing people to pick and choose what Pokémon they want in their Pokédexes.
Obviously, unless you actually award the National dex, you will never see it, and this patch already contains national dex evo block fixes (Golbat -> Crobat for example, will happen without the national dex now).

In all seriousness, it's really quite easy to do, so I hope people will make use of this patch and the info (when I post it).
It should help hacks look more professional, as we aren't forced to stick with the predetermined order in FR.

I'm already aware that Gamer2020's tool has a Pokédex order editor in it, but the way FR is designed, it will never actually read the regional data.
It requires careful editing of the routines to make sure that it retains backwards compatibility with the bat s**t mental ordering of the Hoenn Pokémon in the rom. (Their Pokédex entries are in National dex order, but their in game ID's are all over the place XD)

Last edited:

EdensElite

No0b, but getting there.
Years
  • Age 28
  • UK
  • Seen Jul 4, 2014
Hey, I'm a newb and i've seen quite a few useful threads that are just like use this code. But how am i supposed to use it/implement it?

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
Hey, I'm a newb and i've seen quite a few useful threads that are just like use this code. But how am i supposed to use it/implement it?

If you're talking about ASM code, look at this very helpful post by HackMew.
It has all the basics of inserting ASM into your rom in it.

Also, don't post questions like this in R&D posts as it will be regarded as spam.

On topic, I need to start investigating the breeding mechanics in the game to "fix" the breeding for the new Pokémon. Does anyone have any useful places to tell me about for this?

Meta Paradox

Researching FireRed...
Years
  • Seen Jul 18, 2011
What about if i DON'T want the evo fixes with the National Dex or anything like that, or what if I wanted to change some evolutions. How wiill it be made, guys?

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
What about if i DON'T want the evo fixes with the National Dex or anything like that, or what if I wanted to change some evolutions. How wiill it be made, guys?

The evos are editable using any tool in theory. They'll just not show the relevant data for the evolution type.

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by the national dex evo fix stuff. If you mean you want the evolutions still to be blocked unless you have the national dex, that's easy enough. I'll post the info when the patch becomes available.

EdensElite

No0b, but getting there.
Years
  • Age 28
  • UK
  • Seen Jul 4, 2014
I was wondering if it is possible to add the in-between entries (between celibi and hoenn) to the pokedex?

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
I was wondering if it is possible to add the in-between entries (between celibi and hoenn) to the pokedex?

This is surprisingly easy to do, but there's a lot of limiters which need editing for it to work. I don't have them on me atm, but i'll edit this post when I get home from work and post the information.

Back