• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Easter eggs, shout-outs and in-game quotes

Years
As with many video games, Pokémon X and Y have things that appear to be shout outs to other media, whether intentional or not. Are there any references you found amusing to watch or discover, or just a line said by a character you come across?

Discuss.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I found it amusing that a Waitress in the Battle Maison referenced lolcatz:
Meow, meow, I can haz battle, meow?

And who else remembers the Victory Road Veteran who quoted Reggie Fils-Aime's "my body is ready" phrase?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I also forgot this Wikstrom quote:
My will, which even shakes spears...

For those who don't get it, it's "William Shakespeare". Wikstrom even talks in toned-down Shakespearean English.

Years
Yeah, these are some neat little mentions here. I didn't even remember the Spiderman reference, I knew he was a photographer but didn't really think of it like that.

On another note, Pitbull, rapper from Miami, known as Mr. Worldwide, who always raves about his money and/or awesomeness, gets more publicity with guest acts than his own songs, doesn't give a number TWOOOOOOOO, has people joking about how they don't sing in the shower fearing he wants to make a song…and is an admin of Team Flare. It is a pretty funny resemblance; I never really found that out until Mac spoke of it once on IRC chat during his Fairy Monotype.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Here's a gem: the Psychic in Route 10 claims your Pokemon's power levels are over 9000, which was taken from Vegeta's memetic quote in Dragonball-Z.

Years
A Team Flare Grunt in Geosenge Town at one point references the Bee Gees:
Only Team Flare's stayin' alive, stayin' alive!

This line of Xerosic's probably wasn't an intentional shout-out, but it made me laugh out loud:
Add it all up, and it equals... a victory for our SCIENCE!

It reminded me of Doctor Insano from The Spoony Experiment, just because of the emphasis on the word 'science'. I spend too much time on the internet...

Laylaw

"Smell ya later!" - Blue
Years
There's a man inside the Pokémon Center in Lumiose City (Magneta Plaza) that refers to Blue.
The famous Professor Oak's grandson came here to the Kalos region to study abroad. He got "Bonjour" down just fine, but he still always said "Smell ya later!" when he left!

And then there's the psychic on Route 10 that refers to Dragon Ball Z after you defeat him.
Wow! You and your Pokémon's power levels are incredible! They're over 9,000 for sure

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I can't exactly remember where, but I've personally enjoyed the part when they had made that reference to Dragon Ball Z. Many fans are familiar with it, whether they do (or did) watch the anime or not, as it's majorly used throughout Internet in general.

Years
On Route 4, there's a preschooler who says "Hey! Hey! Listen!" which is a reference to the famous line spoken by Navi in The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time.

Also, one of the descriptions in the Super Training is "Float like a Butterfree, sting like a Beedrill" which is an obvious reference to the famous quote by boxing legend Muhammad Ali.

BigSteve

Pokemon Bright Gold
Years
<p>
There's a man inside the Pokémon Center in Lumiose City (Magneta Plaza) that refers to Blue.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>And then there's the psychic on Route 10 that refers to Dragon Ball Z after you defeat him.
</p><p> </p><p>wonder if Blue's smell ya later quote is to tie in with the French reputation for smelling of garlic? Being as Kalos is PokeFrance</p><p> </p>

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
Also, don't forget the biggest Easter Egg of all: All of Santalune Forest is a 3D copy of Viridian Forest from the 1st Generation.
I didn't believe this at first when I read it, so I looked up a map of Viridian Forest and ran through Santalune Forest and holy **** they do have the exact same layout. Guess I didn't notice before because of the camera angle and that I haven't been in Viridian Forest in a while.

Years
Don't forget the obvious Zubat Cave, which is just Game Freak poking fun at people's hatred for Zubat. Don't get me wrong, some people love Zubat. I personally like Crobat.

Back