• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How does this team look like? -Competitive obviously-

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2013
Hi all. I need some advice on the team, also the moves, is everything OK?

-Snivy/Serperior as my starter.
Nature: Modest
Ability: Contrary
-Leaf Storm
-Hidden Power(Rock)
-Giga Drain
-Toxic

-Haxorus
Nature: Jolly
-Outrage
-Earthquake (goes well with his ability)
-Dragon Dance
-Brick Break

-Volcarona
Nature: Timid
-Quiver Dance
-Bug buzz
-Flame Thrower
-Overheat

-Mienshao
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Recover
-U-Turn
-High Jump Kick
-Swords Dance
-Stone Edge

-Samurott
Nature: Naive
-Aqua Jet
-Mega Horn
-Surf
-Ice Beam

Braviary
Ability: Sheer Force w/Life Orb?
-Rock Slide
-Shadow Claw
-Brave Bird
-Fly

I really wanted to use Zoroark and I'm unsure of Samurott, but I really don't have coverage against fire types, especially when it comes to Pokemon like Volcarona.
Let me know what you think.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
EV spreads and abilities, plz?

Contrary Serperior hasn't been released yet. Also, Ferrothorn might not be a bad idea to add over it because of its good typing and high defenses:
-Stealth Rock/Spikes
-Leech Seed
-Power Whip/Protect
-Gyro Ball/Thunder Wave/Protect
Nature: Relaxed
EVs: 252 HP/88 Def/168 SDef
Item: Leftovers/Shed Shell

If you want to keep Serperior that badly, be my guest:
-Coil
-Leaf Blade
-Aqua Tail
-Return/Substitute
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Item: Leftovers/Life Orb

or
-Substitute
-Calm Mind
-Giga Drain
-Hidden Power (Fire/Rock)/Dragon Pulse
EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Leftovers

or
-Glare
-Taunt
-Giga Drain
-Dragon Tail
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef

or
-Reflect
-Light Screen
-Taunt
-Giga Drain
EVs: 252 HP/4 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Light Clay

Dragon Dance Haxorus is viable, but Brick Break won't cut it anymore. Superpower is a stronger Fighting alternative, while Aqua Tail gives it some neutral coverage. You can also use Dragon Claw or Dual Chop alongside Outrage to give Haxorus a STAB move that doesn't lock it into battle and confuse it after 2-3 turns.

Overheat wastes Volcarona's Quiver Special Attack boosts. It's better off on Choice sets, but Volcarona would rather set up Quiver Dance then smash things:
-Quiver Dance
-Bug Buzz
-Fiery Dance/Fire Blast
-Roost
Nature: Bold
EVs: 240 HP/216 Def/52 Spe

or
-Quiver Dance
-Bug Buzz
-Fiery Dance/Fire Blast
-Rest
Nature: Modest
EVs: 160 HP/252 SAtk/96 Spe
Item: Chesto Berry

or
-Quiver Dance
-Fire Blast/Fiery Dance
-Bug Buzz
-Hidden Power (Rock/Ground)/Psychic
EVs: 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb

or
-Substitute
-Quiver Dance
-Bug Buzz
-Fire Blast/Fiery Dance
EVs: 4 Def/252 SAtk/252 Spe

U-turn makes Mienshao waste its Attack boosts. It's also better off with a +Speed nature, since it's strong enough already:
-Hi Jump Kick
-U-turn
-Hidden Power (Ice)/Stone Edge
-Fake Out/Grass Knot
EVs: 252 Atk/4 SAtk/252 Spe
Ability: Regenerator

or
-Hi Jump Kick
-U-turn
-Stone Edge
-Hidden Power (Ice)
Item: Choice Band

or
-Swords Dance
-Hi Jump Kick
-Stone Edge
-Hidden Power (Ice)/Baton Pass
Nature: Naive/Jolly

Mixed Samurott is better with this for more coverage:
-Hydro Pump/Surf
-Ice Beam
-Hidden Power (Grass)/Grass Knot
-Megahorn/Superpower
EVs: 4 Atk/252 SAtk/252 Spe

Defiant is now the preferred ability on Braviary to give it more power when its stats are lowered:
-Return
-Brave Bird
-Superpower
-U-turn
EVs: 80 HP/252 Atk/176 Spe or 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Item: Choice Band/Choice Scarf
Ability: Defiant

or
-Substitute
-Bulk Up
-Return/Brave Bird
-Roost
Nature: Careful
EVs: 252 HP/192 SDef/64 Spe

or
-Return
-Brave Bird
-Superpower
-Roost
EVs: 80 HP/252 Atk/176 Spe

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2013
Oh wow, I LOVE long posts, thanks so much lol. First of all what do you mean by "Contrary" Serperior isn't out yet?
This is Pokemon White, not White 2, so keep in mind that not all moves are available (Aquatail for Haxorus for example :P).
Yes, Serperior isn't going anywhere, it's like my favorite cause I always choose grass starters, add into that Serperior's awesome look.
I really like the combination moves you have done, but there will be some friendly criticism as I'm still a noob at this.
So first of all I don't get why people try to make 1type teams in competitives, this will be my team for both in game and competitive.
Next, why in the world would Serperior need Dragon Pulse? I mean okay, Water/Rock moves are Justifiable to cover weaknesses, but what about Dragon moves? Isn't it a bit random, I mean can't I put a second STAB move instead of that? Giga Drain by itself only wont do much, will it? Also on the last combination, can I replace Taunt with Toxic?

Proceeding to Haxorus, as I said this is Pokemon White, not 2, so I can't get Superpower. I added Brick Break to cover ice weakness, what will Aqua Tail come handy for? Also I added Outrage there because it's quick and Haxorus wont be kept in the battle forever, I mean I'll use it to defeat a strong Hydreigon/Dragonite. Right? It should do it's thing for 2-3 turns.

About Volcarona, why can't we choose Flamethrower/Heat Wave instead of Fiery Dance/Fire Blast?? I mean, Fire Blast has 85%accuracy and it would suck if it failed because that's the only STAB move you'd be left with, and Heat Wave has 100 damage points while Fiery Dance has 80, yeah yeah I know, the SP AT. Pro, but isn't Quiver Dance enough or it?

And last but not least, concerning Braviary. I was thinking of Sheer Force ability since thä will boost moves a lot, Superpower for example..
Oh and I'm surprised at how you have suggested return in two pokemon, is that move really that good? It has failed to exceed my expectations everytime I have used it.
Also in what level does Braviary learn Roost?
Thanks for all :D

Syltti

Lilligant's Loving Trainer
Years
Oh wow, I LOVE long posts, thanks so much lol. First of all what do you mean by "Contrary" Serperior isn't out yet?
Not all dream world abilities are released at once. The Unova starter Pokemon haven't been released within the Dream World yet, so it's not possible to have a Contrary Serperior without hacking one.

Next, why in the world would Serperior need Dragon Pulse? I mean okay, Water/Rock moves are Justifiable to cover weaknesses, but what about Dragon moves? Isn't it a bit random, I mean can't I put a second STAB move instead of that? Giga Drain by itself only wont do much, will it? Also on the last combination, can I replace Taunt with Toxic?
Dragon Pulse would deal a nice amount of damage to any type, and give you coverage over Dragon-types, should you choose to use Serperior against them. Also, mind you that these are suggestions; you don't have to follow them exactly. Replacing Taunt with Toxic may be better for you, depending on how you, yourself, battle.

Oh and I'm surprised at how you have suggested return in two pokemon, is that move really that good? It has failed to exceed my expectations everytime I have used it.
The power of Return depends on your Pokemons' happiness. The more they like you, the stronger Return is. Not to mention, Braviary is part Normal, so Return gets a STAB. I'm not sure how you've been using it, but my Pokemon have sometimes one-shot others using Return.

It doesn't learn Roost via levels, but by Move Tutor.

I'm afraid I can't really help much as far as the actual rating goes. ^^;

CourageHound

Trust & Courage. Nothing More
Years
This is Pokemon White, not White 2, so keep in mind that not all moves are available (Aquatail for Haxorus for example :P).
Yes, Serperior isn't going anywhere, it's like my favorite cause I always choose grass starters, add into that Serperior's awesome look.
I really like the combination moves you have done, but there will be some friendly criticism as I'm still a noob at this.
So first of all I don't get why people try to make 1type teams in competitives, this will be my team for both in game and competitive.

Proceeding to Haxorus, as I said this is Pokemon White, not 2, so I can't get Superpower. I added Brick Break to cover ice weakness, what will Aqua Tail come handy for? Also I added Outrage there because it's quick and Haxorus wont be kept in the battle forever, I mean I'll use it to defeat a strong Hydreigon/Dragonite. Right? It should do it's thing for 2-3 turns.

About Volcarona, why can't we choose Flamethrower/Heat Wave instead of Fiery Dance/Fire Blast?? I mean, Fire Blast has 85%accuracy and it would suck if it failed because that's the only STAB move you'd be left with, and Heat Wave has 100 damage points while Fiery Dance has 80, yeah yeah I know, the SP AT. Pro, but isn't Quiver Dance enough or it?

And last but not least, concerning Braviary. I was thinking of Sheer Force ability since thä will boost moves a lot, Superpower for example..

He meant the dream world abillity for Serperior, contrary isnt released as of yet. Also leaving serperior with only its grass STABS leave it terribly walled by many common threats. Dragon pulse foe the many dragonites (not to mention hitting everything but steel neutrally) out there and the hidden powers for everything else. It depends on what your other teammates can cover for serperior. Imo(on impulse mind you) I would go with dragon pulse since the rest of your team can cover ferro, and skarm. In the case with toxic over taunt, I wouldnt advise it since serperior isnt the bulkiest of pokemon and I beleive the main purpose of that set is to provide passive support, and shut things down for other teammates. Taking Serperior's speed into account, its able to swiftly carry out that task, however there are better toxic users than serperior.

For Haxorus....since you are using pokemon white you are stuck with that set. Aqua tail would be for better type coverage as opposed to EQ. But all in all, its your call if you want to run two dragon moves: Pros: The abillity to not be locked into a potentialy fatal confusion or easily checked with the next pokemon your opponent sends out provided its a steel type. Cons: The confusion, and of couse the lock. Also you loose type coverage. However you can choose to forgo outrage and instead use dual chop(handy for breaking substitutes) or dragon claw which is i beleive slightly stronger than dual chop, alot weaker than outrage but without outrage's drawbacks.

The decision to go fireblast and fiery dance is all about power. With the former being very powerfull outright while fiery dance racks power easily. And imo, and in my experience, 85% acc is pretty solid most of the time. However if you want to go heatwave, go ahead but the potential to attack and rack a sp boost(an attack an boost in the same turn), with excellent acc puts fiery dance in a position apart from the others.

Lastly...sheer force has no effect on superpower. Its recoil is not afiliated with sheer forces' boost due to not being benificial to the user. So in all not only do you not get the boost but you dont loose the recoil eaither. Same for brave bird. And honestly besides rock slide braviary has little use for sheer force.

Oh, yea and return is a strong and common 102 pwr(i beleive) filler move for many physical attackers.

I hope I cleared some things up.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years

I know that others may have already answered, but here are my thoughts on what they haven't covered yet.

Dual Screening Serperior needs Taunt to shut down walls that would try to status it so that it can carry out its Dual Screening duties more easily. As mentioned already, Dragon Pulse gives Serperior a way to hit Dragon Pokemon. It's also an option if Serperior's Hidden Power type isn't Fire or Rock.

If you can't get Superpower or Aqua Tail on Haxorus yet, just settle for Dragon Claw or Dual Chop.

Fire Blast vs. Fiery Dance is about more immediate power vs. the potential to boost Special Attack after attacking. Flamethrower is the middleman for both moves, but it doesn't have much use besides the 10% burn chance. Heat Wave is more suited for double battles, where it hits both opponents.

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2013
Thanks for the replies so far everyone.
Okay, so I didn't know that ability isn't available for Serperior. When will it be, and how can I get it, if I ever can?
Next, Braviary learns Roost from a Pokemon Black2/White2 move tutor too, so I can't get it in this version :(.

-If Serperior keeps Taunt, Light Screen and Reflect, what can the opponent really do? Nothing. I mean, he can't neither physically attack, nor specially, right? He is left with the option to switch. Can't I remove Giga Drain from this moveset to teach him a stronger attack, for example Leaf Blade?
-
So on Haxorus, I can't get Superpower and Aqua Tail. What would be his moveset again? Outrage, Earthquake, Dragon Claw/Brick Break and Dragon Dance?

-Also Volcarona's Fiery Dance move description states that it *may* increase the user's Special Attack. Roost is also available on Pokemon White2/Black2 only :(... What should I use instead?

-On Braviary, with Sheer Force, Rock Slide still adds type coverage, doesn't it? Excluding Roost from it's moveset, what should be added?

-And last, Samurott. If I put this pokemon in my team, I will be left with no coverage to ghost type Pokemon, which are used in the Elite 4. Should I remove Samurott or not? What do I do about the Ghost type coverage lol?

Thanks a lot again!! :)

Syltti

Lilligant's Loving Trainer
Years
Your Serperior is Modest, which means it'll lose physical attacking power. You could give it Leaf Blade if you're hurting for a physical attack on it, but you'd be better off with Leaf Storm (140 atk, 90 acc) or Frenzy Plant (150 atk, 90 acc). Both need recharging, though. Or, if you can get a Sunny Day, or Drought, up, Solar Beam (120 atk, 100 acc).

Braviary can learn Bulk Up. A boost in both Attack and Defense makes Braviary a force to be reckoned with, even in the face of Rock-type moves and the usually physically defensive Fighting-types.

Volcarona's Fiery Dance may only increase special attack part of the time, but that free boost always helps. Not to mention Volcarona gets a STAB off it, so it all works out.

If you intend to keep Outrage on Haxorus, then take Brick Break for coverage.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Giga Drain is the preferred move for Dual Screening Serperior. Sure, it won't do much given Serperior's base 75 Special Attack, but it provides recovery, which is important considering that Dual Screening loses Leftovers recovery due to holding Light Clay.

Dragon + Ground already have good coverage, so there's no need for Brick Break really, unless you're paranoid about Ferrothorn.

As I said before, Defiant is Braviary's preferred ability now because the only notable moves Sheer Force boosts are Crush Claw and Rock Slide. Keen Eye is absolutely useless.

Some of your Pokemon can hit Ghosts neutrally; heck, some even have secondary types. Serperior and Samurott are strong against Golurk, for instance. Braviary hits Ghosts hard enough with Brave Bird already.

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2013
Hi guys, thanks for everything.
I forgot that I specified a Modest nature for Serperior, that was because I found Leaf Storm pretty strong. Will it be better if I switch it to a attack raising nature and teach him a physical grass attack? What is the best one, leaf blade? If yes, can I still use him as a dual screener?

Next, I was proceeding with the story and went to the place where you find the fossils and I accidentaly picked the turtle fossil. Not that I wanted to choose Archeops, because I already have a flying type, but can Ii use Garracosta instead of Samurott, for both ingame and competitive? What would be it's best moveset? (Preferrably with an ice attack, yes I know it doesn't have the best sp attack, but I feel the need of an ice attack. Probably Ice Beam, Toxic, Aqua Tail and Rock Slide/Stone Edge?)
I already saved the game so there's nothing left to do.
Thanks.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Hi guys, thanks for everything.
I forgot that I specified a Modest nature for Serperior, that was because I found Leaf Storm pretty strong. Will it be better if I switch it to a attack raising nature and teach him a physical grass attack? What is the best one, leaf blade? If yes, can I still use him as a dual screener?

Next, I was proceeding with the story and went to the place where you find the fossils and I accidentaly picked the turtle fossil. Not that I wanted to choose Archeops, because I already have a flying type, but can Ii use Garracosta instead of Samurott, for both ingame and competitive? What would be it's best moveset? (Preferrably with an ice attack, yes I know it doesn't have the best sp attack, but I feel the need of an ice attack. Probably Ice Beam, Toxic, Aqua Tail and Rock Slide/Stone Edge?)
I already saved the game so there's nothing left to do.
Thanks.

While Leaf Storm is a strong attack, it's better off as a hit and run move because Serperior's Special Attack weakens each time it's used unless it has Contrary, which isn't released yet. Giga Drain is still preferred on Dual Screening Serperior because as I've said before, Giga Drain compensates for Dual Screening Serperior's lack of recovery, which is important.

If you want a mixed Carracosta set, use this:
-Shell Smash
-Waterfall
-Stone Edge
-Ice Beam
EVs: 252 Atk/16 SAtk/240 Spe
Item: Life Orb/White Herb

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2013
Thanks. I'll follow that moveset for Carracosta.
Why does Serperior's sp attack fall each time he uses a special attack o.O?

Back