• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FAQ & Known Information - Read Before Posting Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobandbill

one more time
Years

HeartGold and SoulSilver FAQ & Known Information

So, this is pretty much a requirement since so many of the same questions keep seeping in - and they're the same questions every single time. Here you will find questions asked multiple of times along with additional detail from locations, items, and Pokémon. If you may have any questions, then please pick it up the forum moderators bobandbill or Hiiro (via PM).

Additional Guides and information may be added farther along the future, but currently it is quite sufficient. Try the Control+Find feature (Ctrl + F for Windows) to quickly find the question you are looking for if it is covered in here thus far.

• This post: General Questions and Answers.
  • 2nd Post: List of Obtainable Pokemon/location-specific Pokemon, and a quick Breeding changes guide.
  • 3rd Post: Archive of pre-release info/pictures/videosCoro Coro scans and general overview of features.
  • 4th Post: PokeWalker Guide by yaminokame.

General Questions

What are HeartGold & SoulSilver?
They're the latest Pokemon games in the main handheld series by Game Freak! They are also remakes of the 2nd Generation games Gold and Silver (with events from Crystal also added in), now with updated gameplay, updated graphics, remixed music, and so forth.

When were the games released?
Japan: September 12th 2009
Korea: February 2nd 2010
United States: March 14th 2010
Australia & New Zealand: March 25th 2010
Europe: March 26th 2010
Are the games only for the DSi?
No. These games are compatible with both the DS, DS Lite and DSi.

Will these games work on my DS if I import?
Yes. The DS is not region coded. However, you will not be able to connect the games with Wii games from a different language. (For instance, English versions of Pokémon Battle Revolution will only connect to English US and English PAL games, where Japanese versions will connect with Japanese games only.)

Will I be able to go to Kanto in these games? What about Hoenn and Sinnoh?
Yes, you can go to Kanto. As with Gold and Silver, to access Kanto you must first obtain all eight Johto League Badges. (To fully access Kanto, you must defeat the Pokémon League.) No other regions are accessible.

Can I trade with Diamond/Pearl/Platinum? If so, when?
Yes, you can. You can do so once you get the Pokedex - i.e. very early in the game.

My game keeps crashing.
Buy the game rather than pirate, then!

In-game Questions & Details

Does my mom save my money for me again?
In the beginning of the game, you have the option of allowing your mom to keep a saving for you or not. If you deny at the start, you can always enable it again through a call on the PokéGear or going to see her at New Bark Town.

How much of my earned money gets sent to my mom?
Every time you receive money from a battle, 25% of that goes to your mom for savings. Whenever you need it, you can always go to her for the needed money. You may also deposit money if you choose to when you go to see her.

My mom buys me items? What items can I use to customize my room?
Yes, every so often your mom will go into your savings and buy you a items (some actually quite useful). Every time she purchases an item she will give you a call on the PokéGear. However, she does not purchase any room customization items as this feature has been disabled compared to the originals.

Where can I pick up the items my mom bought me?
Whenever you are ready to pick up the items your mom has bought for you, then you can visit any PokéMart. A delivery man in a red suit will give them to you. Keep in mind he can only hold five items for you. If you have not picked up these items at anytime, then your mom will stop spending your money.

Here you will find a list of items purchased by your mom.

Where is the PokéRadar, I haven't gotten it as yet?
The PokéRadar, first introduced in DPPt, was never brought back to HeartGold and SoulSilver. Hence, no one has given it to you.

How can I hunt for shinies then?
While the PokéRadar did allow players to hunt for shinies through chaining, HG/SS doesn't have that ability. It's basically up to luck and chance to encounter one now, except for the obvious Red Gyarados at Lake Rage.

What is the PokéGear?
The PokéGear, like in the original G/S/C is like your handy-dandy gadget. It holds many needed features for you to use along your journey - including the Phone, Map Card, Radio Card, and Customization ability.

Click here if to learn more detail on the PokéGear and its features.

Where is the Itemfinder?
Go inside the house in-between Ecruteak's Gym and Pokemon Centre and answer yes (top option in Japanese) to the man's question to get it. It is touch-screen operated.

Is the Day Care people back again?
Yes. They reappear in the same places as they did before, and will give you a type-boosting item if you talk to them on their day (e.g. Frida of Friday will appear above the Pokemon Centre south of Violet City/by Union Cave and give you a Poison Barb if you talk to her).

Is the Game Corner accessible outside of Japan?
The Game Corner has been completely revamped outside of Japan. Instead of keeping the Slots in the US version it has been altered to be parallel to that of European versions of the game. Instead, the slots have been replaced by a new concept called, Voltorb Flip. Along with the removal of the Game Corner Slots, the coin exchange has been removed as well; you can no longer purchase the coins in order to play the game.

The two locations in which you have access to the new Game Corners are in Goldenrod City and in Celadon City.

Okay, so the Game Corner is changed. What is the Voltorb Flip?
The Voltorb Flip is the newly introduced game replacing the original slot machines. The basic idea of it is quite similar to Mine Sweeper and Picross. "You have to flip tiles and you get a variety of bonuses of multipliers (x1, x2 & x3). However, in addition to that, you may also find Voltorbs which are placed randomly in each set. You get shown how many Voltorbs are in each row and column and your task is to get the multipliers and not hit any Voltorb tiles. As you progress without hitting Voltorbs, the levels get harder, more Voltorb tiles appear and the higher coin multipliers become more abundant. If you keep hitting Voltorbs, you will end up back at the bottom level."

Details on the Non-Japanese Game Corner and the Japanese version found here.

What is the Shining Leaf? How do I get it?
The Shining Leaf is a rare item found by your Pokémon. It is not a standard item or accessory, and can only be seen through your Pokémon's status screen. You can only get the Shining Leaf by talking to your partner while in a grass area. However, finding the Shining Leaf in a certain are depends on the nature of your Pokémon and the specific locations.

What's my reward for finding a Shining Leaf?
Once you obtain one Shining Leaf, then you should go see Ethan/Lyra in New Bark Town. Here they will explain more to you about the Shining Leaf and how he/show wants you to collect five of them (on the same Pokémon). Once you've done so, he/she will reward you with a star for your Trainer Card.

If you wish to learn more on the natures and areas to find the Shining Leaf then you can visit here.

Are there any secret bases? Where can I go Underground?
No, unlike RSE and DPPt, there are no secret bases nor is there an Underground. These features were never implemented into HeartGold or SoulSilver.

The Battle Frontier is back? Where is it and who are the Frontier Brains?
Yes, the Battle Tower like in Crystal plus the rest of the known Battle Frontier is back. The entire area is located north of Route 40 and it is identical to the Battle Frontier from Pokémon Platinum.

More details on the Battle Frontier and the different buildings and Brains will be found here.Where can I exchange my Battle Points for prizes? What are the prizes and how much do they cost?
Right within the Battle Frontier there are Frontier Shops located in the center plaza. Here is where you can exchange your earned points for prizes.

List of Prizes with tagged price can be found here.

Is the Bug Catching Competition back?
Yes, like in the originals to HeartGold and SoulSilver, the Bug Catching Contest has made a return. The same principle applies in which you enter the contest with 20 Competition Balls trying to capture the best Bug-type Pokémon seen. You may only enter with one of your Pokémon and must battle with that one Pokémon only.

The Bug Catching Competition is held on specific days of the week. Like before, these days are Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays.

What Pokémon can I catch in the competition? What are the prizes for the different places in the Bug Catching Contest?
A list of the available Pokémon in the Bug Competition will be found here along with a list of the prizes based on placement. Once you have earned the National PokéDex, then more Pokémon will be available in the competition from the other generations.

What is this I hear about the Pokéathlon?
You compete with 3 Pokemon - some games with one at a time, others with all 3 at once. It runs on a points-based system, and points gained can be used to buy items, such as Apricorns, Healing items and Evolution Stones.

Minigames are as follows:
  • Dash Hurdles - you control 3 Pokemon in a race, tapping them to jump hurdles as they compete against the rest (who are off-screen). Timing jumps well increases their speed, running into hurdles slows them down. You can see obstacles coming from the top screen. The aim is to take out the top three placings, or close to that.
  • Bounce Field - aim is to make your 3 Pokemon bounce upwards into the top screen by pulling the stylus down and then flicking it up, to hit lights above. The more you hit in a row, the more points you get.
  • Ring Out Fight - you control one of your Pokemon at a time, and fight it out with others in a sumo-like game - basically, use the stylus to keep your Pokemon in the ring and knock out other Pokemon.
  • Shooting Snow - you control your three Pokemon in a snowball fight - you try to hit other Pokemon by throwing snowballs at them via the Stylus, while avoiding snowballs thrown at you (which can temporarily daze them).
  • Charge Relay - a race where you control one Pokemon at a time and try to achiceve as many laps as possible. Obstacles populate the cource, and from time to time you have to switch Pokemon when your current one gets tired.
  • Break Block - you control one Pokémon at a time. Aim is to destroy as many blocks as possible by tapping them as quickly as you can, while getting into a rhythm. From time to time you may have to switch Pokemon.
  • Catch Saucer -you control all three of your Pokémon at all times to jump and catch the saucers being shot over the field. Where you catch them determines the amount of points you get. You can also push off opponents from the stage, as well as get pushed.
  • Push Circle - aim is to have your Pokemon occupy circles that appear on the field to gain points. These circles vary in size and points given out, and you have to get your Pokemon in them to score points at the end of each round while pusing out opponents so they don't gain points themselves. You control 3 Pokemon at once.
  • Steal Flag - basically a 'capture the flag' game. You switch between your Pokemon to collect flags, and steal from opponents, and bringing them back to the finish line to switch with another Pokemon and 'save' those flags. Aim is to collect as many as possible. Max your Pokemon can hold is 9 flags.
- For more details you can visit the link here.
- Information pertaining to the Pokéathlon stats and Pokémon, you will find further explanation here.

So, where are Pokémon Super Contests?
With the Pokéathlon around, Super Contests were not brought into Johto or Kanto. So, it will not be found anywhere in the game.

Was the Safari Zone kept out of these games too like they were in the originals?
Actually, no, the Safari Zone has made a return unlike before and is located in a different area. It will now be found west of Cianwood City. It runs quite similar to any other Safari Zone. It contains six areas each holding different Pokémon.

How can I get to the new Safari Zone?
Once you beat Cianwood Gym Leader Chuck you can go west of Cianwood through the cave to route 46/7. Keep heading up and north and you'll get there.

Is there any difference in the new Safari Zone?
Yes, the Johto Safari Zone does hold some new features unlike before. This involves area customization and items used to draw in Pokémon. Much details on this new information can be found here though.

So if there is a new Safari Zone, what took the place of the old closed one from before?
Now that there is a new Safari Zone, back in Fuschia City the Pal Park has taken its place. The Pal Park runs exactly the same as it was in DPPt. However, the rule on only being allowed to migrate only 6 Pokémon from one game ever 24 hours has been uplifted.

If the Pal Park had made a return, what about the Global Trade Center (GTS)?
Yes, like the Pal Park, the GTS has also made a return and runs very much similar to that of the one in Pokémon Platinum. It is situated in the new building of Goldenrod City.

For more details on the Pal Park & the GTS you can visit the DPPt FAQ.

HM Locations

• HM01, Cut - Ilex Forest, after catching the runaway Farfetch'd
  • HM02, Fly - Cianwood City after defeating Chuck
  • HM03, Surf - Assistant Kimono Girl in Ecruteak City
  • HM04, Strength - Hiker located on Route 42
  • HM05, Whirlpool - Rocket Hideout in Mahogany Town, given by Lance
  • HM06, Rock Smash - Hiker located on Route 36
  • HM07, Waterfall - Ice Path
  • HM08, Rock Climb - Given to you by Prof. Oak in Pallet Town after collecting all 16 Badges
What HMs are needed to reach the Elite Four?
Surf and Waterfall to get to the Victory Road gate (which you can fly from and to so you change your party by going back and forth), with Whirlpool optional for items/a trainer battle. In Victory Road itself, you need Strength, and Rock Smash for the many items there.

How do I get to Mt. Silver/West of Victory Road to battle Red? Oh, and what HMs might I need?
Beat all of the Kanto Gym Leaders first. Then, talk to Prof. Oak in Pallet Town, who will activate the way and give you the HM Rock Climb. Go to Mt Silver by heading west of Victory Road gate and climb to the top to battle Red. You'll need Rock Climb, and Stength/Rock Smash (optional for items).

To re-battle him, first battle Lance and Clair in a double battle with your Rival by talking to him in Dragon's Den, and then beat the Elite Four's new teams to re-activate him again.

Where can I find the game's Move Tutors?
There is a Move Tutor in Ilex Forest who teaches you Headbutt. This will come in handy for headbutting trees for Pokémon. Another Move Tutor will be found in a house in Blackthorn City and he provides you the Elemental Beams - i.e. Frenzy Plant, Blast Burn, and Hydro Cannon.

For a list of the other Move Tutors (located in the Battle Frontier) you'll be able to find them here.

Where is the Move Deleter? Where is the Move Relearner?
Located in the same house as the Elemental Beams Move Tutor in Blackthorn City, you will find both the Move Deleter and Move Relearner.

You mentioned headbutt trees, are they back?
Yes, the headbutt trees are back while the Honey Trees are out. However, these trees come with a new twist in HG/SS. First off, every tree is able to be headbutted to find an available Pokémon. If the tree you headbutt contains a Pokémon, then keep not of it as it will always have available Pokémon. On the other side, if you shake a tree and no Pokémon appears, then this tree will NEVER have any available Pokémon.

More details on the headbutt trees found here.

What are Apricorns good for?
Apricorns are good for a few things in these games. You can have Kurt turn them into special Pokeballs, and turn them into Juice to give to your Pokemon to increase their Pokethlon stats.

List of PokéBalls made from Apricorns by Kurt will be found here; includes details on Apricorn Juice and Pokéathlon stats.

How do I get Apricorns?
Talk to the man inside the first house you see walking north of Cherrygrove Town (2nd town in the game) to get the Apricorn Case. Then examine Apricorn Trees to get one. (There's one right by the Apricorn Case Man's house for reference). You can get one Apricorn per tree per day.

How do I grow berries and get them?
You get the Berry Planter during the storyline which replaces soil you put berries in, meaning you literally carry the berry trees with you (no need to roam the region to check them!) - after getting/beating Sudowoodo (the dancing tree north of Goldenrod/west of Violet City), the girl there will give it to you. Then you can place berries in the pots (select a pot and then the 2nd option, and then choose a berry), and water them (select any pot and the 1st option to water. Tap other pots/press left/right to water them as well to save from doing it individually.

Your in-game mother will frequently buy you berries, which you can pick up from the delivery man in any Pokemon Mart - the type-reducing-damage berries. Also the man by Violet City's Pokemon Centre gives you some (such as Oran berries, Lum, other early ones), and the man by Fuchsia's Pal Park (the old Safari Zone) will give you others (such as the PokeBlock/Poffin berries, and the EV-reducing berries).

I remember in DPPt there were PokéSeals for our ball capsules. Where do I get the case and where can I get more seals?
You can get the case from the girl by the sick Miltank once you heal it up by giving it plenty of Oran Berries. You'll also get a few seals, and can get more from there.

How do I get the Magnet Train to work?
First, beat the Power Plant side-quest in Kanto to get power up and running again. Then, talk to the Copycat girl in a house just south of the Magnet Train station in Saffron City. Then go to the Pokemon Fan Club south in Vermillion City and get the Clefairy Doll by talking to the man sitting next to it. Give it back to the Copycat Girl and she'll give you a Magnet Train pass, allowing you to go on it.

What is the GB Sounds? Where and when can I get it?
The GB Sounds is a newly introduced Key Item that allows you to revert the game music back into the original sounds from G/B/S with only little to no changes.

To get it, beat all 16 gym leaders, and then go to Celodon City mansion. Talk to the man by the globe, and he'll give it to you. Simply use it to change back and forth between HG/SS music, and GSC music. Also, on Sundays the music channel will play GSC tunes, including ones you can't normally hear like the old title screen music.

Can I have rematches against the Gym Leaders and Elite members?
Yes. Their teams get updated to a full part of 6, get a level boost (level 50-60s) and can be rebattled infinitely. You must obtain their phone number by finding them around Johto/Kanto at a specific day and time, and then call them for a re-match in another specific day and time period (they can be battled as many times during that period, though). They will appear in Saffron City's Fighting Dojo.

- Gym Leader rematch information found here. [Including how to set up the rematch and where to find the leaders outside their gym, etc.].
- Elite Four & Champion rematch details here.

EV Training Details

I'm pretty much new to EV training and would like to know how and what I need to do it correctly?
EV training is relatively simple to do once you understand it enough. It is time consuming, but there are ways to fasten the progress of your training including various items and more.

Here is a full guide on how to EV train your Pokémon.

I'm interested in EV Training, what are some good locations and Pokémon I can train against?

• HP
    • Hoot-hoot (1pt)
    • Location: Basically everywhere, and quite common. A few areas, Route 1-6.
  • ATTACK
    • Bellsprout & Ekans (1pt)
  • DEFENSE
    • Geodude, Onix, Rhyhorn (1pt)
    • Metapod and Kakuna (2pts)
  • SPECIAL ATTACK
    • Ghastly (1pt)
  • SPECIAL DEFENSE
    • Tentacool (1pt)
    • Tentacruel (2pts)
  • SPEED
    • Magikarp (1pt)

Compiled by the very sexy, awesome and modest fellows named Hirro and bobandbill. Credit to serebii.net for info/links for some of the above.

Last edited by a moderator:

bobandbill

one more time
Years

Obtainable Pokémon

Legendary & One-Off Pokémon

A large number of legendary and rare Pokemon, including the starter Pokemon can be obtained in HGSS. The list and methods to obtaining them, plus other info if any are as follows:

• Johto Starters (Chikorita/Totodile/Cyndaquil) - Chosen at the start of the game. For shiny-hunters, you can actually see if it is shiny in its preview-picture rather than having to get it first to check - meaning you can check three at once!
  • Togepi - after beating the 1st gym you will receive an egg, which contains Togepi which is yours to keep once it hatches. Show it to Prof. Elm for an Everstone.
  • Sudowoodo - Encountered during the main quest. After getting the third gym, talk to the woman in the flower shop next to it to obtain the Squirtbottle, then head north beyond the National Park to see it obstructing the path. Use the Squirtbottle to battle it (lv 20).
  • Johto Beasts Raikou and Entei - Once you activate them in Burnt Tower (necessary to do to begin the 5th gym challenge), they can be seen roaming around in the wild at random in Johto (in grass + water, but not caves) at level 40. Be aware that they try to flee, so use a Master Ball, trap them (Mean Look, Wobbuffet, etc) so they can't escape - beware Roar however - or just be lucky.
  • Suicune - Different from Raikou and Entei in that you chase it around (along with Eusine) in the overworld first around Johto and Kanto before you can battle it. In order, you must encounter it:
    • North of Cianwood City (followed by a battle with Eusine)
    • Route 42 (need Cut)
    • Vermillion City
    • Route 14
    • Route 25 (Cerulean Cape, past Bill's House), which is when you can finally battle it. Level 40.
  • Red Gyarados - Encountered in the main storyline at the Lake of Rage at level 30. It is a shiny Pokemon, and beating/catching it yields a Red Scale, which can be traded for an Exp. Share with Mr Pokemon.
  • Extremespeed Dratini - Obtainable in Dragon's Den when you do the quiz to get the 8th gym badge. Although regardless of how many wrong answers you get in the quiz you shall still pass it and can get a Dratini later (for the question merely gets repeated), you can get a Dratini with Extremespeed if you get the answers right first go (i.e. in order: Top option, Top, Bottom, Top, Middle). Then talk to Clair and get a TM from her (go back to the gym if necessary), and then go back to Dragon's Den for the Dratini.
  • Ho-oh (Level 45 HG, Level 70 SS) OR Lugia Level 45 SS, Level 70 HG) - Obtainable once you get all 8 gym badges, necessary to see before you are allowed to head to the E4. First go to New Bark Town and talk to Prof Elm and get a Master Ball. Then head to Ecruteak Town's Dance Theatre and battle the 5 Kimono girls in a row. After that, if you are playing HG, go to Tin Tower in Ecruteak and head to the top to encounter Ho-oh. If it's SS you are playing, go to the Whirl Islands, enter the North-Eastern island, take the north-eastern-most route and keep going that way (down a ladder) to encounter Lugia.

For the other legendary bird, in Pewter Town in Kanto, an old man there shall give you a Silver/Rainbow wing which then allows you to go and get the other legendary Pokemon.
  • Kanto birds Articuno/Zapdos/Moltres (Level 50) - Once you obtain all 16 gym badges, you can encounter these Pokemon. Articuno is within the Seafoam Islands, Zapdos outside the Power Plant (route 10), and Moltres in Silver Cave.
  • Kanto starters (Bulbasaur/Charmander/Squirtle) - You can choose from these three which one you want by talking to Prof Oak in Pallet Town after you get all 16 gym badges.
  • Hoenn starters (Mudkip/Treecko/Torchic) - You can choose from these three which one you want by talking to Steven in Sliph Co.'s building after you have beaten Red, and provided you have done the Copycat girl/Magnet Train side quest, and talked to him in Pewter Town's Museum first.
  • Mewtwo - You can battle him at Level 70 in Cerulean Cave once you get all 16 gym badges.
  • Groudon/Kyogre (Level 50; SS/HG only respectively) - Once you get the Kanto starter from Oak, talk to Mr Pokemon north of Cherrygrove. He'll give you a Red or Blue orb, depending on what game version you have. Head to Route 47 and find the Embedded Tower, where you will encounter Groudon/Kyogre.
  • Rayquaza (Level 50) - Groudon & Kyogre must both be obtained first, so trading of the other legendary is required first. Show them to Prof Oak and obtain the Jade Orb. Then go back to Route 47 to battle Rayquaza.
  • Latias/Latios (HG/SS respectively) - During the Magnet Train side quest (talk to the CopyCat girl in Saffron once you get the Power Plant running again, go to the fan club in Vermillion and get the Clefairy Doll, and give it to the CopyCat girl) you will encounter Steven, and afterward can encounter one of these roaming in Kanto depending on the game you are playing at level 35. The other can be caught via getting a Key Item in an event - so far only done in Japan.
  • Snorlax - complete the Power Plant sidequest in Kanto first. Then go to the Radio Tower in Lavender Town, and talk to the owner. Now you will be able to play radio channels in Kanto. Go to Snorlax (outside Diglett Cave, Vermillion City side) and manually select the Pokeflute channel on the Pokegear Radio - it is towards the top, and a touch on the left side. Exit the menu and examine the Snorlax, which will awake and battle you at level 50.
  • Lapras - On Fridays, head into the Union Cave (Azelea Town-side) and head to the eastern side and surf towards a ladder. Explore onwards - basically, head down as much as possible once you reach a large room you can surf in and battle multiple trainers. Lapras shall be surfing about in the southmost lake/pond, at level 20.
  • Dialga/Palkia/Giratina - Choice of the three at level 1 when you transfer Arceus over to HGSS and take it with you to the Ruins of Alph and talk to an NPC there, who will take you to the Sinjoh Ruins, the location of the three Pokemon.
  • Spiky-Eared Pichu - Transfer the Pikachu-Coloured Pichu (shiny event Pokemon) over to HGSS and take it to the shrine in Ilex Forest, to make the SE Pichu to appear and hence get it in your party. Note that it cannot evolve or be traded, but the PC Pichu can.
  • Eevee - Once you encounter Bill in Ecruteak's Pokemon centre, head back to Goldenrod and talk to him in his house - he will give you an Eevee at level 5.
  • Tyrogue - Explore the middle entrance of Mt mortar via Waterfall and work your way north, to encounter the Fight Dojo's master, who upon defeat will give you a Level 10 Tyrogue. (Have a spare spot in your party before going to him).

Other Pokémon

The following is a list of Pokemon which can only be found via certain methods in HGSS.

Swarm Pokemon - you can check what the Swarm Pokemon of the day (and their location) is via Oak and Daisy's radio talk through the PokeGear in order to find their locations:
  • Chansey: (Route 13)
  • Ditto: (Route 47)
  • Marril: (Mt. Mortar)
  • Yanma: (Route 35)
  • Dunsparce: (Dark Cave)
  • Snubbull: (Route 38)
  • Qwilfish: (Route 32)
  • Remoraid: (Route 44)
  • Poochyena: (Route 1)
  • Wingull: (Vermillion City)
  • Ralts: (Route 34)
  • Sableye: (Route 9; HG only)
  • Mawile: (Route 9; SS only)
  • Gulpin: (Route 3; SS only)
  • Swablu: (Route 45)
  • Wiscash: (Violet City)
  • Baltoy: (Route 3; HG only)
  • Clamperl: (Route 19)
  • Relicanth: (Route 12)
  • Ludvisc: (Route 27)
  • Kricketot: (Viridian Forest)
  • Buneary: (Route 25)

PokéWalker Pokemon: The PokéWalker-exclusive Pokemon are as follows:

• Skitty: (Hoenn Field)
  • Carvanha: (Warm Beach)
  • Wailmer: (Warm Beach)
  • Feebas: (Quiet Cave)
  • Castform: (Tree House)
  • Kecleon: (Tree House)
  • Tropius: (Big Forest)
  • Snorunt: (Cold Mountainpath)
  • Shellos: (Rough Sea)
  • Spiritomb: (Quiet Cave)
  • Finneon: (Rough Sea)
  • Snover: (Cold Mountainpath)
  • Pikachu: (Yellow Forrest; Pokemon Event activation required; Also, note that these Pikachu can be found with special moves such as surf, fly, volt tackle, etc.)

Version Exclusive Pokemon:

• HeartGold
    • Mankey line
    • Growlithe line
    • Spinarak line
    • Gligar line
    • Mantyke line
    • Phanpy line
    • Sableye
    • Baltoy line
    • Kyogre
  • SoulSilver
    • Vulpix line
    • Meowth line
    • Ledyba line
    • Teddiursa line
    • Delibird
    • Skarmory
    • Mawile
    • Gulpin line
    • Groudon

Radio 'Sound' Pokemon: Some Hoenn and Sinnoh Pokemon can only be found via the Pokegear's radio. The radio plays the "Hoenn Sound" and the "Sinnoh Sound" on Wednesdays and Thursdays respectively. These stations allow the player to find Pokemon not native to Johto/Kanto across the region.

The Pokemon that can be found with "Hoenn Sound" are:
  • Zigzagoon
  • Whismur
  • Absol
  • Makuhita
  • Minum
  • Plusle
  • Numel
  • Spoink
  • Spinda
  • Meditite
Pokemon that can be found with "Sinnoh Sound" are:
  • Bidoof
  • Shinx
  • Budew
  • Buizel
  • Chingling
  • Bronzor
  • Chatot
  • Carnivine
Click here for full details.

In-game Trades:

• Your Bellsprout for an Onix [Violet City - house]
  • Drowzee for Machop [Goldenrod City - Dept. Store and comes with Macho Brace!]
  • Krabby for Voltorb [Olivine City - house]
  • Dragnair for Dodrio [Blackthorn City - house]
  • Haunter for Xatu [Pewter City - Pokemon Centre]
  • Dugtrio for Magneton [Power Plant and comes with Metal Coat]
  • Pikachu for Pikachu [Saffron's Magent Train station - from Lt. Surge after rematch]
  • Forretress for Beldum [Saffron City - Sliph Co, from Steven after sidequests]
  • Bonsly for Rhyhorn [Diglett Tunnel - Pewter City side, from Brock on Saturdays between 17:00 and 20:00]
  • Any Pokemon for Steelix [Olivine City's gym, from Jasmine after rematch.
Click here for full details on where to find the Pokemon.

Unobtainable Pokemon:

• Mew
  • Celebi
  • Regis
  • Jirachi
  • Deoxys
  • Sinnoh Starters
  • Sinnoh Fossil Pokemon
  • Drifloon line
  • Glameow line
  • Stunky line
  • Magnezone
  • Leafeon
  • Glaceon
  • Probopass
  • Rotom
  • Sinnoh Psychic Trio
  • Heatran
  • Regigigas
  • Cresselia
  • Darkrai
  • Phione & Manaphy
  • Shaymin
  • Arceus
  • Darkrai

Breeding Differences

As GSC added breeding as a new feature, HGSS brought some new breeding features.

Firstly, there is a new way to pass down IVs from parents to the offspring, which is down via the Power items. If a parent holds one (or both parents hold two), then the stat that corresponds to power item will be passed down. The list:

• Power Weights: HP
  • Power Bracers: Attack
  • Power Belt: Defense
  • Power Lens: Sp. Attack
  • Power Band: Sp. Defense
  • Power Anklet: Speed
Note that the other breeding features (such as natures being passed down on the mother's side via the Everstone) still applies here.

Furthermore, there are new egg moves for Pokemon hatched in HGSS and HGSS only. A notable one is Togepi, who can come with Extrasensory. A full list of new egg moves can be found here: Click here to see the entire list of new egg moves.

Last edited by a moderator:

bobandbill

one more time
Years
This post here contains all official info thus far released on HG/SS - it's a general summery of the features with pictures a-plenty, as well as an archive of information released in the lead up to the games, including Coro Coro scans and video links. Pictures and video links are all over the place, but a full list of those are at the bottom. Hopefully it may answer some questions you may have as well on the games.

Official HG/SS website (Japanese)

Official Japanese Trailer Video here.
English Trailer Video here.
Newer gameplay video here
Demo Gameplay here

Go here for the latest Coro Coro info.

The games themselves - general info

Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver (HG/SS, or the 'GS remakes') are the newest games to be released for the DS, as part of the main handheld series. HeartGold features the legendary Pokemon Ho-oh, while SoulSilver has Lugia - both Pokemon are obtainable in each game (neither are version exclusives). They are remakes of the games Pokemon Gold and Silver, and were originally and officially confirmed here.

It has thus far come out in Japan, since September 12th, 2009 and is to be released in America MARCH 14TH 2010 Australia and New Zealand gets it MARCH 25TH 2010, and Europe gets it MARCH 26TH 2010.

Logos and official Japanese boxart:
Spoiler:

You choose from the three Johto starter Pokemon Chikorita, Totodile and Cyndaquil, while the main legendary Pokemon are Ho-oh and Lugia. With the latter, you can actually obtain both within either game, only one at a later stage of gameplay, and at a higher level. Pictures of them below:
Spoiler:

You can choose to play as the male protagonist known as 'Gold' from GSC, or the female protagonist, 'Kotone'. Other revealed character art include Professor Elm, Silver (the rival), and a Team Rocket grunt. These characters return from GSC, apart from the girl protagonist who is brand new. (No Kris from Crystal). The new girl apparently will play a role similar to Dawn/Lucas in D/P/Pt, or Brendan/May in R/S/E - a supportive role in the game (assuming you choose to play as Gold - otherwise the roles are reversed).
Spoiler:

It is known that Pokemon can follow you around, akin to Pokemon Yellow where the Pikachu follows you around. However, it is confirmed that all 493 Pokemon can follow you, including legendary Pokemon. You can also get items from them that they pick up, just like in D/P/Pt. Talking to the Pokemon also allows you to see them give an expression (via a face in a speech-bubble) which shows you how they are feeling (basically a new 'happiness' check). You can find items as well to dress up your Pokemon with in pictures, and depending on the nature of your Pokemon and the Route you talk to them in, you may find a 'Shining Leaf', an item which appears in their status screen. Collect 5 for one Pokemon and show them to your psudo-rival, and you'll get a star on your Trainer Card and a certificate.

A video and screenshots of this:
Spoiler:

The touch-screen is now more interactive than ever - the Pokegear can be operated from there, and the bag, Pokedex and even PC boxes can be managed all through the touch-screen. As such operating these will become easier and more organised. Old functions such as the Map, Phone and Radio return, and a running toggle-button has been added to the menu, serving as the way to activate the Running Shoes, and allows for two Key Items to be 'registered'.

The Radio now serves a greater purpose - on Wednesdays a 'Hoenn Channel' program plays - listening to this will cause Hoenn Pokemon to appear in the wild, while on Thursdays a Sinnoh Show plays which brings about certain 4th gen Pokemon in the wild, depending on the location. The tune that plays in the Ruins of Alph increases the likihood of Unown not yet obtained appearing, and Prof. Oaks talk show informs you of Swarm Pokemon and where they are.
Spoiler:

Furthermore, the touch screen and stylus will be used to play up to 9 minigames within a special building/s, which rely on 'skills' - Speed, Stamina, Power, Technique, and Jump - these stats generally differ from Pokemon species to Pokemon specices, but can can be increased by giving a Pokemon juice made from Apricorns.

You compete with 3 Pokemon - some games with one at a time, others with all 3 at once. It runs on a points-based system, and points gained can be used to buy items, such as Apricorns, Healing items and Evolution Stones.

Minigames are as follows:
  • Dash Hurdles - you control 3 Pokemon in a race, tapping them to jump hurdles as they compete against the rest (who are off-screen). Timing jumps well increases their speed, running into hurdles slows them down. You can see obstacles coming from the top screen. The aim is to take out the top three placings, or close to that.
  • Bounce Field - aim is to make your 3 Pokemon bounce upwards into the top screen by pulling the stylus down and then flicking it up, to hit lights above. The more you hit in a row, the more points you get.
  • Ring Out Fight - you control one of your Pokemon at a time, and fight it out with others in a sumo-like game - basically, use the stylus to keep your Pokemon in the ring and knock out other Pokemon.
  • Shooting Snow - you control your three Pokemon in a snowball fight - you try to hit other Pokemon by throwing snowballs at them via the Stylus, while avoiding snowballs thrown at you (which can temporarily daze them).
  • Charge Relay - a race where you control one Pokemon at a time and try to achiceve as many laps as possible. Obstacles populate the cource, and from time to time you have to switch Pokemon when your current one gets tired.
  • Break Block - you control one Pokémon at a time. Aim is to destroy as many blocks as possible by tapping them as quickly as you can, while getting into a rhythm. From time to time you may have to switch Pokemon.
  • Catch Saucer -you control all three of your Pokémon at all times to jump and catch the saucers being shot over the field. Where you catch them determines the amount of points you get. You can also push off opponents from the stage, as well as get pushed.
  • Push Circle - aim is to have your Pokemon occupy circles that appear on the field to gain points. These circles vary in size and points given out, and you have to get your Pokemon in them to score points at the end of each round while pusing out opponents so they don't gain points themselves. You control 3 Pokemon at once.
  • Steal Flag - basically a 'capture the flag' game. You switch between your Pokemon to collect flags, and steal from opponents, and bringing them back to the finish line to switch with another Pokemon and 'save' those flags. Aim is to collect as many as possible. Max your Pokemon can hold is 9 flags.
Video + pictures of these minigames mentioned here:
Spoiler:

The game takes place in the region of Johto. It is confirmed that you can go to Kanto in the game (what it looks like is so far unknown however), and Johto retains the same places as before, such as New Bark Town, Slowpoke Well, Goldenrod City. There are some changes to it however (for instance, there appears to be a river flowing in the route/s below Blackthorn City). There are new areas as well (such as the Pokethlon west of the National Park, the Safari Zone and related routes west of Cianwood, Goldenrod's GTS, etc), and Kanto is upsized from GSC.
Official map of Johto:
Spoiler:

(Link)

Eusine is back, presumably with the Crystal storyline involving Suicune. You chase Suicune around into Kanto, encountering it in various places before battling it at level 40 by Bill's house.

Apricorns are back, and can be made by Kurt (who also returns - see art) into the old GSC balls. One can be picked a day from an Apricorn tree and can be held in an Apricorn Case. Furthermore, Apricorns now have another use! They can be made into a drink that affects Pokethlon stats. There are more Apricorn Trees in HG/SS as well compared to GSC - the Psn Cure Berry tree next to Mr Pokemon's house in GSC for instance is now an Apricorn tree.
Berries are now found as items, on the gorund, etc, like in FR/LG, but now you can plant them in a berry planter device which you carry around - you can grow four (or more, potentially) at once.
Spoiler:

The new area west of Cianwood has been confirmed to be a Safari Zone, which upon completing challenges becomes customisable with areas you can visit. Different sections yield different Pokemon, and upon beating later challenges you can decorate sections which bring about even more Pokemon. There is no walk limit in this Safari Zone as well. The old Safari Zone in Kanto becomes a Pal Park, which notable has no 6-Pokemon-a-day limit, unlike D/P/Pt.
Spoiler:

The bug-catching competition returns in HG/SS at the National Park and occurs every Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday. Pokemon initially remain the same as they were in GSC, and the system is the same - you get 20 Park Balls and have 20 minutes to catch a Bug Pokemon for judging, with only one Pokemon allowed to help weaken Pokemon, and no items allowed. You can catch more than one, but are only allowed to keep one, so choosing wisely to replace the current one you caught or not is important to improve your chances at winning. Pokemon are judged on level, rarity and stats.

Prizes include evolution stones for 1st prize, Everstone for 2nd and a Sitrus Berry for third, while missing out on the top three yields a Shed Shell. Once obtaining the National Dex, you can catch 3rd and 4th gen Pokemon on Thursdays and Saturdays of the competition.
Spoiler:

The Battle Tower in Crystal has been replaced with Platinum's Battle Frontier, to keep compadibility with Platinum. All Platinum faculities return here, with BPs being able to be used to buy prizes, or teach move tutor moves to Pokemon.
Spoiler:

Pokemon Trainer Red reappears in HG/SS with a stronger team, notably with his Pikachu leading his team at level 88. He can be found at Mt Silver after beating all gym leaders, and will rebattle you each time you beat the Elite Four.

There are a number of rare legendary Pokemon/one-off Pokemon to obtain. The Red Gyarados from GSC returns at level 30, and Lugia in SS and Ho-oh in HG appear at level 45 respectively (they are at level 70 in the game they are not based in e.g. Lugia in HG). It is known that after beating the Elite Four, you can find Groudon in SS, and Kyorge in HG. Once you obtain both of them in the one game (via catching/transferring), you can also get Rayquaza. All are found in a cave/their own caves, and are at level 50.
Spoiler:

Other Pokemon include:
  • The Johto Beast Trio - Suicune has its own plot, in which you much chase it into Kanto. Eventually you can battle it by Bill's House at Cerulean Cape at level 40, while Entei and Raikou roam Johto once released from Burnt Tower, also at level 40.
  • Latios or Latias - one will roam in Kanto in your game when you talk to Steven Stone during the Magnet Train mini-quest.
  • Kanto Legendary Birds appear once you beat all 16 gym leaders - Zapdos appears outside the Power Plant, Articuno in Seafoam Islands, and Moltres at Mt Silver at level 50.
  • Mewtwo can be found in Cerulean Cave after beating Red at level 70.
  • Sudowoodo reappears at level 20 were it was in GSC, and remains part of the storyline (it is an unavoidable Pokemon).
  • Snorlax is again catchable at level 50 in HG/SS, again requiring the PokeFlute tune to be played (once found manually on the radio) to wake it up once completing miniquests in Kanto, outside the southern entrance to Diglett Cave.
  • You get your choice of the Kanto Starters from Prof Oak in Pallet Town once you beat Red.
  • You get your choice of the Hoenn Starters from Steven Stone in Sliph Co once you beat Red.
The Mystery Egg plot is back, Togepi being the Pokemon that hatches.
Spoiler:

Your mother can save money for you, as she did in GSC. She will also buy items for you, usually berries but at times items like Moon Stones and Choice Items. You can collect them from a deliveryman from any PokeMart.
Spoiler:

The Magnet Train and the SS Anne also return, allowing players to go to Kanto from Johto, and vice versa.
Spoiler:

The Global Terminal (akin to the one in Platinum) returns, situated in Goldenrod City.
Spoiler:

Wifi minigames like the ones in Platinum are back.
Spoiler:

Instead of Honey trees, the ability to Headbutt Trees via the move Headbutt has returned from GSC. A person in Ilex Forest acts as a reusable move tutor of the move. 3rd and 4th gen Pokemon can be found once one headbutts trees in Johto accessible via Rock Slide, or in Kanto.
Spoiler:

An item called the GB Player appears in HG/SS which allows you to play the old tunes from GSC instead of the new HG/SS music. It is obtainable in Celedon City in the Mansion by talking to the NPC by the globe once beating all of the gym leaders.

You can rebattle Gym Leaders by obtaining their phone numbers if you find them in specific locations at specific times, and calling them at specific times. You then meet them at the Fighting Dojo in Saffron City, where they have a boosted team (min levels around the 50 range), and may have 3rd and/or 4th gen Pokemon in their team as well. The Elite Four and Champion Lance also gets a revamp when you rebattle them.
More info on how to rebattle gym leaders here: http://www.serebii.net/heartgoldsoulsilver/gym-rematch.shtml

The PokeWalker

Sold with the game is a device called the PokéWalker. You are able to trade one Pokemon from HG/SS onto the Pokewalker. The device works as a pedometer; when you walk about, your Pokémon will slowly raise level and happiness, as well as 'Watts' which allows you to battle wild Pokemon on the PokeWalker, and find items which can be traded onto HG/SS. Transferring is apparently easy.

There are 'courses' that you can take your Pokemon on within the PokeWalker - each has specific Pokemon within them. It appears at least two are available to use, and one unlock-able via trading a Jirachi event to it, unlocking the course 'Edge of the Night Sky'. There are other courses as well - another is unlockable by a event in Japan which unlocks the 'Pikachu's forest'

Info-page with pictures here:
Spoiler:

Pre-order bonus - figurines!

If you pre-order HeartGold from Japan, you get a Ho-oh figurine - if you pre-order SoulSilver, it's a Lugia figurine - and if you pre-order both, you get both of them, as well as an Arceus figurine. Pre-orders for it start on July the 4th.

Pictures of the three figurines:
Spoiler:

Events

A number of events have been confirmed for HG/SS. Click here to see a video on the Notched-Ear Pichu and Arceus events.

- If you send over the Pikachu Coloured Pichu (PCP) obtained from the special 12th movie event (given away from June 19th to July 18th), you unlock an event in Ilex forest by Celebi's Shrine, which cause the Notched-Ear Pichu (NEP) to appear. It knows Volt Tackle, Helping Hand, Swagger & Pain Split. An old man appears afterward NEP does - presumably he tells you something about the Pichu.
Spoiler:

- Trading over the Arceus movie event to HG/SS and taking it to the Ruins of Alph and talking to an NPC, can unlock an event and a small, new area (currently 'called' the 'Shinto Ruins' - name may change in translations) involving it and Cynthia, which will also allow you to catch a Dialga, Palkia or Giratina (who choose which one) at level one. They know Metal Burst, Hydro Pump, and Shadow Sneak respectively.
Spoiler:

- Trading over a special event Jirachi (that is to be given out in Japan via WiFi/McDonalds with the moves Rest, Confusion, Wish and Draco Meteor, level 5 with a Leichi Berry) to HG/SS will unlock a new area related to the PokeWalker. (Apparently called 'Edge of the Night Sky').
Spoiler:

Other pictures, official artwork and videos:

Credit to serebii.net, pokemon.co.jp/special/hgss, http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ds/ipkj/index.html, Coro Coro, Pokemon Sunday, slowkingsley and various other places for the sources of the info, videos and pictures.

Also credit to >Feelings< and Pokemon League Champion for providing many of the updated picture urls.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
The following is a guide on how to use the Pokewalker, written by yaminokame.

For a list of Pokemon, Items, etc obtainable in the PokeWalker Courses, check here: http://www.serebii.net/heartgoldsoulsilver/pokewalker-area.shtml

PokeWalker
By yaminokame

Full_Layout.jpg

Accessing the PokeWalker Connection Screen: When you turn on your game (after you have played it long enough to have a save file) you will be brought to the start-up screen which has a lot of options. The option for the PokeWalker Connection Screen is among these. Here is a list of the options:

• つづきから はじめる - Continue
  • さいしょから はじめる - Start new game
  • ポケウォーカーと せつぞく - Connect with PokeWalker
  • ふすぎな おくりもの - Mystery Gift
  • _______から つれてくる - Bring Pokemon from _______ (Once you've reached Pal-Park)
  • Wi-Fiせってい - Wi-Fi Settings
  • eメールせってい - eMail Settings

There is no way to loose your Pokemon while it is in the PokeWalker. Running out of batteries will simply make you loose steps and Watts. Your Pokemon will be safe. If you are to loose your PokeWalker, then you can restore your Pokemon back into your games. As a note, if you happen to find your PokeWalker after you have restored your Pokemon, you can not send the other one inside of the PokeWalker back to the game (essentially cloning). To get your Pokemon back if ever your PokeWalker breaks/gets lost, go the the PokeWalker Connection Screen and press & hold:

• Up + Select + R

Once you do this, your PokeWalker will be reset and your Pokemon will go back into your box. Your Pokemon will be restored to as it originally was when you put it in the PokeWalker. If you do find your PokeWalker after you have restored your Pokemon, you need to reset the PokeWalker.

To set a PokeWalker back to it's original settings, go to the PokeWalker Connection Screen and press & hold:

• Down + X + L

Once you have done this, either a new PokeWalker, or an old one that you reset will be able to be synced with the game as you did when you first set it up.

Once a Pokemon is in the PokeWalker, you will have two important choices that you can choose from on the PokeWalker Connection Screen (on the DS). These are:

• Return from walk (おでかけから かえす) - This is the top (default) choice. It will take the Pokemon from the PokeWalker and return it to the game along with all other Items, caught Pokemon and Watts.
  • Receive Present (プレゼントを うけとる) - This will not return your Pokemon to the game from the PokeWalker, rather, it will return your Watts, caught Pokemon and items to the game and leave your Pokemon in the PokeWalker.

Sometimes when on a course with no Pokemon in the PokeWalker, a wild Pokemon will automatically take the role as your lead Pokemon. When this happens, you will not be able to put a Pokemon from your box into the PokeWalker until you take out the wild one that joined you. The way to do this is as follows:
  • Go on a walk (おでかけに いく) - This option is for putting a Pokemon from your box into the PokeWalker. If a wild Pokemon takes over, you will not be able to use this option until you have returned it.
  • Return from walk (おでかけから かえす) - This option will take the Pokemon in the PokeWalker out of it. If a wild Pokemon joins you when you have no lead Pokemon, you must use this button first and then use the 'go for a walk' button as listed above.
  • Receive Present (プレゼントを うけとる) - This will not return your Pokemon to the game from the PokeWalker, rather, it will return your Watts, caught Pokemon and items to the game and leave your Pokemon in the PokeWalker.

Other important information:

• 20 steps = 1w
  • Each course has three pre-set advantaged Pokemon types.
  • Walking with a Pokemon that has an advantaged-type will bring the required steps to find a certain Pokemon down by 25%. It also appears to make rarer Pokemon easier to find.
  • Each PokeWalker course consists of three groups. Each of these groups have two Pokemon in them. When a Pokemon is sent to the PokeWalker, the PokeWalker will randomly pick one Pokemon from each group. The Pokemon that did not get randomly selected within a group will not ever appear during that walk.
  • Pokemon can only gain 1 level per walk
  • 1 exp for every step (A Pokemon will not gain any more experience once it has enough for one level, but it will continue to gain happiness)
  • Random Pokemon will fill in for the lead Pokemon sometimes if no lead Pokemon is in the PokeWalker. You will know when this happens because this speech balloon will pop-up:
    itempokewalker.jpg
  • The greater a Pokemon's happiness, the better chances are it will find a higher number of Watts for you periodically. Aside from finding Watts, a Pokemon can also find items. In order to take these found Watts/item from your Pokemon just press the center button when one of the below icons appear:
    • 10wpokewalker.jpg
      = 10w
    • 20wpokewalker.jpg
      = 20w
    • 50wpokewalker.jpg
      = 50w
    • itempokewalker.jpg
      = Item

Note 1: Keep in mind that sometimes even though one of the speech balloons show up doesn't always mean that they will be holding Watts or an item.

PokeRadar.jpg
PokeRadar
ポケトレ

• Description: The PokeRadar is one of the features available inside of the PokeWalker. Once used, you get the chance of searching for a Pokemon inside of one of four patches of grass. Once a Pokemon is found using the PokeRadar, you get into a small battle with it. Rules are very similar to that of the normal Pokemon games, you have to knock the wild Pokemon's health down to low, and then throw a Poke Ball to catch it. There are three options that you are given to battle, which are:
    • Attack (こうげき) - [Left Button] Hits the opponent to lower HP.
    • Catch (つかまえる) - [Center Button] Throw a Poke Ball in order to catch the wild Pokemon.
    • Dodge (かわす) - [Right Button] When the opponent Pokemon goes to attack, you can dodge it and do damage with a counter attack.

PokeWalkerAtk-Dodge-Catch.jpg

• There is a limit of up to three Pokemon that you can catch at a time on the PokeWalker. For any wild Pokemon that you catch after your box maxes-out at three, you will have the option of switching-out with one of your previous catches. If your Pokemon is knocked out during battle on the PokeWalker, you will loose up to 10W. Opposing Pokemon are not knocked out, if they run out of life then they run away. Here are some of the situations that might happen for each option:
    • Attack (こうげき):
      • Normal Hit (-1 Life Bar)
      • Critical Hit (-2 Life Bars)
      • Opponent Dodges
    • Dodge (かわす):
      • Counter Attack (-1 Life bar)
      • Stare-off (Neither Pokemon takes damage)
      • Opponent runs away
    • Catch (つかまえる):
      • Succeed
      • Fail (Wild Pokemon will run away if the Poke Ball fails to catch it)
  • Cost: 10W
  • Limit: 3 Pokemon

ItemFinder.jpg
Item Finder
ダウジング

• Description: The Item Finder is another one of the many features that the PokeWalker holds. When used, you get a total of two chances to search out an item among six patches of grass. Similar to the PokeRadar, the Item Finder also holds a limit of three. You can only bring back three items at a time to the games, so once you pass the limit of three items, you have to start switching out old items for new ones if you see fit. There are one of two messages that will appear if you do not find your item the first time. They are:
    • ちかくに はんのう - Response from close (In a patch on either the direct left or right hand side)
    • とおくに はんのう - Response from far (In a patch two or more away from where you searched)
  • Cost: 3W
  • Limit: 3 items

Communication.jpg
Communication
つうしん

• Description: If you connect to a friend's PokeWalker, you can both receive items. You are only allowed to communicate with the same friend once per day. There is a limit of ten items that you can hold when receiving items via this method. This is also the option that you use to send your Pokemon from and to the game.
  • Error Messages:
    • あいてがいません - There is nothing to communicate with (make sure you are close enough)
    • つうしんしっぱい - Failed while communicating (just retry)
  • Cost: --
  • Limit: Same friend only once per day; up to 10 items (Communication with the game is unlimited)

informationpokewalker.jpg
Information
じょうほう

• Description: This is the option to find out information about the PokeWalker's current status/owner/walking information. When you select this option, you will be brought to a screen that will have 3 lines:
    1. Trainer Name
    2. Current Course Name
    3. Current Time

• Press right up to seven times from there and you will be brought to a screen with four lines:
    1. Day (-1 ~ -7)
    2. Steps
    3. Total number of days
    4. Total steps over the number of days in line 3

itemspokemonpokewalker.jpg
Held
てもち

• Description: This is where to check what items you have and what Pokemon you have caught. Simply go through your list using left and right to see what you have.

settingspokewalker.jpg
Settings
せってい

• Description: This is the place to change either sound (left) or contrast (right) settings. Sound has 3 different settings; Mute, Medium, Loud. To change the contrast just scroll through the contrast bar until you get the contrast you like.
  • pokewalkersettingssound.jpg
    Sound
  • pokewalkersettingscontr.jpg
    Contrast

For a list of Pokemon, Items, etc obtainable in the PokeWalker Courses, check here: http://www.serebii.net/heartgoldsoulsilver/pokewalker-area.shtml

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
Years
HG/SS Guide to RNG Abuse

154meganium.png

HG/SS Guide to RNG Abuse.
Written by Alternative

This is a guide written to helpe others with breeding in HeartGold and SoulSilver using RNG Abuse. This will teach you the basics and the fundamentals for breeding your flawless Pokemon.
let me start with this. This version of RNG abuse is a lot easier than D/P/Pt, since it's less fiddly and is a lot quicker as well.

While writing this guide, I will be breeding a Bold Chikorita.

154meganium.png

What you will need:

1. A copy of Pokemon Heartgold or Soulsilver. Kinda obvious, but I thought I should state it.

2. RNG Reporter. It's a program which does all the mathematics of RNG abuse. You can download it here. You will need at least version 8.0 to do this method.

If you are running an Intel Macintosh, there are different instructions to downloading this program, which can be found here.

3. A flawless Pokemon, such as Ditto. You will need this to get your desired results. Ditto is recommended since it can breed with anything.

4. Action Replay. Not needed, but it helps lots with checking IVs and whatnot.

5. Calibration for this game done. This is an important step which you must do before starting this. A guide can be found here. Although this guide is for D/P/Pt, you can apply the same steps for this. Just check the HGSS box instead.

6. A clock with a clear seconds reading. This helps with your timing, which is important for this process.

7. Pre-requisites done and ready.

• Spoken to Professor Elm with Togepi (Or Evolutions) in your first slot.
  • Spoken to Nurse Joy in any Pokemon Center with your active Pokemon having Pokerus.
  • Been to the Kanto Region, post-Elite Four.
  • Killed all your Roamers. This is Raikou, Entei and Latias/Latios. They will come back when you beat the Elite Four again, so don't worry about that.
8. Time and patience. This will take a while to get used to, so you will need this.

154meganium.png

The Process:

Get everything ready for RNG abuse in this game. Get your Parents ready (Ditto and Parent), and save in front of the lady in the day care center. Make sure you do not already have an egg Waiting and have no Pokemon in your day care currently. Save and turn off your game.

2. Open up RNG Reporter's Time Finder and go to the Shiny Egg tab. Fill in all the details with your Current Date, Month. ID/SID. and wanted Nature. For seconds and delay, refer back to your calibration phase which you should have done before doing this. Is this example, my seconds is 14 and my delay range is 480-500. Also check the HGSS Shiny Egg box. Then click generate.

(If you are using international parents i.e. a Japanese Ditto, you will also need to check the International Parents box. Also for ID/SID, just put in random numbers, since we are not going for a shiny Pokemon.)

rngabuse1.jpg

3. Find a spread that suits your needs, based on delay and frame. Frame determines how many eggs you will need to go through before you get your desired nature. For simplicity's sake, find a spread that has an odd frame. Once you find one, right-click the spread and choose Generate more times. Scroll down until you find a desired date and click the second generate. Scroll down to the delay you are trying to hit. Also check the HGSS box. You will see lots of P, K, and E everywhere. We will cover this later.

(If you cannot find a spread with your desired results, change the numbers in the ID/SID sections until you find one that you like. If you are using a DS/DS Lite you can change the delay to even/odd using a GBA cartridge. You cannot do this with a DSi.)

rngabuse2.jpg

4. Turn on your DS and set the date to the date you desire and the time one minute before your set time. In this example my date is 8/29/10 and my set time is 15:34:14, so I will set my time to 15:33:00 and change the date. Synch your DS clock with your seconds reading clock.

Quickly get to the place where you just about to load your game, whether that be from an Action Replay or not, and load your game when one minute has past as fast as you can. Open your Pokegear and Ring Prof. Elm. This is where all those letters come into play.
E = Evolution
P = Pokerus
K = Kanto
Ring Elm ten times and memorize every call he makes. You want his calls to match up with the first 10 in your line of Elm calls. This will tell you whether you hit your delay or not. If you do, you can put your parents into daycare now. If you didn't, repeat 4-onwards until you do so. Looking back at the time finder, if your original spread was on an odd frame, use this formula. It will tell us how many times to ring Youngster Joey.
(Frame - 1) / 2 = No. of Joey Calls.
Once you figure this out, ring him this many times, which will advance the frame to what you want. In this example, my frame was 3, so I use the formula and have to ring Joey once.

(On Monday if you call Joey, he will want to battle you. You do not want this. If he already wants to battle you from before, then go battle him, and fly back to finish the calls.)

Ride around Goldenrod City until you get a call from the daycare man saying your egg is ready. Save in front of the daycare man before collecting your egg. Then collect the egg and hatch the egg to confirm the nature you wanted. If you got it, take a break, for the next part is long, and turn your DS off. If you didn't, you will need to start again.

154meganium.png

Get out of the Adjacent Results page and back to the time finder. Put 31s into all the stats except the stat with a hindering nature. In this example, I am using 31 in every stat except attack. Check the HGSS Inheritance box and the Use Parent IVs box. Then fill out the IVs according to your Flawless Pokemon, in my case, Ditto. Also fill out your delays which you feel comfortable with. As a newbie to this, you should put in 9-18 as your frame, and use your normal delay range which you found during calibration. Click Generate and find a spread you like.

(Parent A and B refer to who you put into daycare first. I put Ditto in first, so I will fill 31 into every Parent A box, and a low number into every Parent B Box. This will ensure you will only find spreads that use your Flawless Pokemon's IVs.)

rngabuse3.jpg

8. With the spread you like, right-click and go to Copy Seed to Clipboard. Then take it into the main screen and click on Seed To Time. Then paste (Ctrl + V) the seed into the text box, tick HGSS and click on the first generate. Find a time you feel comfortable with and set youe date and time, like in Step 4.

rngabuse4.jpg

Like before, load your game when you hit your time as fast as you can, and open the Pokegear as fast as you can. Now you can start more Elm calls. Looking back at the time finder take note of the frame of your spread. For me, my frame was 9. I will need to call Elm 8 times, also memorizing all the calls so they match up with my line. If you get this, collect your egg as fast as you can, and you should have the desired IVs of your Pokemon. If not, repeat Steps 8-onwards until you hit your desired Elm Calls.

(If your spreads' frame extends past 13, you can go back to the main RNG Reporter page and put your seed into the right box and change your method to Breeding (HGSS). You will get a bunch of spreads with a letter next to them. Simply follow these spreads down until you get to your spreads' frame.)

rngabuse5.jpg

154meganium.png

If you followed this guide, then congratulations, you should have bred your first flawless Pokemon! If you need any help, then simply PM/VM me about your problems and I'd be happy to help.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back