• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Back to the Grind(stone)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thepowaofhax

Spectre
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen May 29, 2017
I'd argue that the console video game market is dying mainly due to a drop in quality, DLC (no, not the kind Nintendo is doing, I'm talking about 15$ for 4 mediocre maps and a gun. Whoop de' friggen doo.) and the over-saturation of FPS. However, the indie scene is flourishing. Plenty of great games have been coming out of that scene, such as the likes of Binding of Isaac: Rebirth (which I need to re-buy on PC because I don't want to waste more money on PS+), Rogue Legacy, From the Depths, Reassembly and a recently released game by Sean Young (creator of Magicite), Roguelands.

Now, regarding games I'm hyped for, I'm hyped for Stranger of Sword City if NIS America doesn't take an atomic dump on the localization. However, since the devs of the game are the same as Demon Gaze, I doubt it will happen. Mainly because I don't want meaningless memes and game-breaking bugs added to it. Another one will most likely be Indivisible and a roguelike/lite that I cannot remember the name of (however I know it looks Dark Souls-ish and is based of Nordic mythos. Huzzah.)

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
I'd say that the FPS saturation argument is pretty antiquated by this point. It was certainly a big problem during a good deal of the previous generation, but lately (I'd say the past year or two), it's hardly had any negative effect on the gaming industry. Hell, there haven't even been that many critically acclaimed FPS to come out in the past couple of years, and select titles that did come out during that timespan didn't exactly endure or turn a great profit. Titanfall in particular is an example of this.

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
Years
Okay now I'm torn. I can get GTAV with about $25 more Steam funds, or I can get Skyrim and perhaps some DLC.

I'm not sure what to pick. I've never played any of the games in the Elder Scrolls series although I'm curious, but I already have played some GTA Online, but I'm still a bit short on funds. What should I take? I could take both, but I can't afford it.

I'm going to say Skyrim every time. Lots of stuff to do and it's really enjoyable. It might be my favorite game ever, at least non-Pokémon.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Okay now I'm torn. I can get GTAV with about $25 more Steam funds, or I can get Skyrim and perhaps some DLC.

I'm not sure what to pick. I've never played any of the games in the Elder Scrolls series although I'm curious, but I already have played some GTA Online, but I'm still a bit short on funds. What should I take? I could take both, but I can't afford it.
If you have your doubts, just wait on Skyrim. Skyrim'll be the same price during the Christmas sale. Personally, I wasn't too fond of the game, having felt that it didn't build onto the previous title enough and there's a lot of unpolish and bugs, but as someone coming from a non-Elder Scrolls background I can see you loving it, especially for the price.

But yeah, it's cheap all the time. GTA's something of a wildcard for now, with lots of deals but this having been its dipping point. Who knows what it'll be during the Christmas sale.

Zet

Years

I would say GTAV(assuming your laptop can support it), and get Skyrim another time like during the Christmas sale if you will have the funds for it then.

Skyrim is definitely better when you add mods to the game.

YellowTemperance

DeDeDoodles™ by Kirby
Years
So I learned from a Gematsu article that Platinum Games is going to make a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game for Playstation/Xbox and PC platforms. (Source)

I'm hype. I grew up with the '80s cartoon and the 2003 cartoon by 4Kids was a solid series throughout, IMO. I wonder if it will be based on the IDW or Malibu/Mirage comics due to its Mature rating?

Zet

Years
I think it would be safe to say Platinum can be trusted with TNMT.

@Team Fail
Are you doing a vanilla playthrough first and then mods or have you already modded the hell out of it?

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
I'm gonna be doing a vanilla playthrough first, then I'll mod and whatnot later, although I might look for some texture mods and some realism mods to fix some of the silly transitions and whatnot.
When you do get around to it, for immersive purposes, might I suggest getting Frostfall and Real Needs and Diseases? These two mods, at least for me, have become staples. Playing without these really feels like something's missing, and with them you feel a lot more human. There are hundreds of other great ones out there, but I say these two because these are ones that I could recommend to pretty much anyone since it makes the world feel more three-dimensional (in that food is given function and the cold's actually something to take into consideration). Probably the best thing about these mods is they give you a reason to explore Skyrim and not use Fast Travel, and make things like abandoned homes and forts viable places to settle down in. Heck, some of the most satisfying moments I've had in the game came from staggering through the cold in an attempt to find some place that would keep me safe from the rain.

Of course, if during your current playthrough you decide you want mods that don't really change the core experience at all, I'd simply recommend the Unofficial Skyrim Patches. They feature an ungodly number of changes and there really isn't much reason not to have them. On a similar note, SkyUI. This is probably THE staple Skyrim mod, and I'd say it's more essential than the unnofficial patches. Seriously, get SkyUI. Seriously.

Other than that, for subtle audio additions, there's Sounds of Skyrim and Climates of Tamriel (though COT has other Atmospheric changes- none to drastic, and they don't affect the gameplay at all).

Zet

Years
I'm gonna be doing a vanilla playthrough first, then I'll mod and whatnot later, although I might look for some texture mods and some realism mods to fix some of the silly transitions and whatnot.
I would definitely recommend getting the unofficial patches now. While they are mods, they don't add anything to the game other than additional bug fixes that resolve quest bugs.

Once you finish vanilla skyrim, I recommend heading over to http://www.tesgeneral.com/. This site lists some of the best mods to use.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
So, Kingdom Hearts system, huh? Alright, I'll take it.
Yeah, looks like Kingdom Hearts with a less flighty, more varied system. Like the love-child of KH and Type-0. Which I'm totally down with.

I always hoped that one day a Turn-Based RPG from the days of yore would be remade into an ARPG. Didn't think it would actually happen, and really, I was hoping that if this did happen it would be with one of the games with a more traditional Turn-based system (for fatigue reasons), but hey, I'll take it.

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
Years
I always hoped that one day a Turn-Based RPG from the days of yore would be remade into an ARPG. Didn't think it would actually happen, and really, I was hoping that if this did happen it would be with one of the games with a more traditional Turn-based system (for fatigue reasons), but hey, I'll take it.
Well, there was the Lufia II remake. A game that was a literal Turn-based RPG became an ARPG akin to Ys. That wasn't a particularly good change.

Hoping that the FFVII will allow free reign of character controlling. I mean, usually it should be a given that this shouldn't be a problem, but KH and FFXV is enough to make me think otherwise.

edit: Disregard that comment. Completely missed that two seconds of Barret being the party leader.

Last edited:

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
And it's been confirmed that the FFVII remake will be episodic like RE Revelations 2, causing the fanbase to split. I remember Square Enix saying that they'll do an FFVII remake if they had a bigger budget, and this game decision may have reflected that. I'm not really fond about the abandonment of the game's turn-based system, because if the Pokemon series, Yokai-Watch series, and Bravely Default series is to go by, that gameplay still isn't dead yet.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
I'm not really fond about the abandonment of the game's turn-based system, because if the Pokemon series, Yokai-Watch series, and Bravely Default series is to go by, that gameplay still isn't dead yet.
It was never dead, it was just horribly utilized. Well, "horribly"'s a bit harsh, but it never really had the gamer's fun in mind. Pokemon gets away with this partially because of the brand, but also because it's one of those series where, more often than not, you have a choice when to battle and when not to. There honestly isn't much else that you can do in the game other than that, but they provide ways to avoid having to battle (ie dodging trainers, avoiding grass, repels, etc.)

Youkai Watch isn't turn-based, really. It's about as turn-based as Xenoblade or Secret of Mana. Bravely Default uses a class system that basically gives the player a reason to want to battle and, similarly, it allows you to control the random encounter rate (which is something every random encounter RPG should do- it's a fantastic idea that's very pro-consumer).

Looking at Undertale, though; that's a game that really understands what it means to create a system that puts fun before anything else. The creator, Toby Fox, mentioned that he'd actually designed the battle system first because he'd basically experienced genre fatigue with traditional Turn-Based RPGs. As a result, he made the skeleton for a very engaging Turn-Based experience even if we disregard the ACT and Bullet-Hell aspects. First, he made it so that encounters would be dynamic based on which monsters did and didn't appear in battle. Second, he made it so that, if Encounters seemed to repeat, he'd just create more enemies so that they repeated less. This made it so that the player would constantly be interested to new things and would rarely just be going through the movements of using that one tried and true method over and over again to get through mobs of encounters between locations. Say what you will about Undertale, but Toby Fox definitely gets my respect for his understanding of the gamer and game design.

And that's really it, isn't it? People are likely to pick up your game if it's not the same as all the others, and just because you've got this story and concept that you want to create into the game doesn't mean you should slap the blandest possible battle system on top and ship it out. You can, of course, but that's some really disproportionate design you have there. Games like Bravely Default, Undertale, Resonance of Fate, any Mario RPG, and hell, even Pokemon and Final Fantasy VII understand this, and they as games are just made better for it.

---

As for the whole episodic FFVII thing, I wasn't particularly happy to hear this, and as you said, many others weren't either. This is a risky move, as FFVII's remake has always been an ace in the hole for Squenix. Merely by changing it to an ARPG they've created some division between fans. This episodic business, especially so soon after the gameplay footage was released, is not only divisive (probably more so), but it also creates doubt. Doubt about pricing. Doubt about why data-size would require them to release in parts. Doubt regarding quality. Doubt regarding what will be changed/added. All of which, at this point, I'd say are understandable to question. This is an odd move, and I'm starting to think that Squenix's confidence behind this ace might be its undoing.

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
Years
It was never dead, it was just horribly utilized. Well, "horribly"'s a bit harsh, but it never really had the gamer's fun in mind. Pokemon gets away with this partially because of the brand, but also because it's one of those series where, more often than not, you have a choice when to battle and when not to. There honestly isn't much else that you can do in the game other than that, but they provide ways to avoid having to battle (ie dodging trainers, avoiding grass, repels, etc.)

Youkai Watch isn't turn-based, really. It's about as turn-based as Xenoblade or Secret of Mana. Bravely Default uses a class system that basically gives the player a reason to want to battle and, similarly, it allows you to control the random encounter rate (which is something every random encounter RPG should do- it's a fantastic idea that's very pro-consumer).

Looking at Undertale, though; that's a game that really understands what it means to create a system that puts fun before anything else. The creator, Toby Fox, mentioned that he'd actually designed the battle system first because he'd basically experienced genre fatigue with traditional Turn-Based RPGs. As a result, he made the skeleton for a very engaging Turn-Based experience even if we disregard the ACT and Bullet-Hell aspects. First, he made it so that encounters would be dynamic based on which monsters did and didn't appear in battle. Second, he made it so that, if Encounters seemed to repeat, he'd just create more enemies so that they repeated less. This made it so that the player would constantly be interested to new things and would rarely just be going through the movements of using that one tried and true method over and over again to get through mobs of encounters between locations. Say what you will about Undertale, but Toby Fox definitely gets my respect for his understanding of the gamer and game design.

And that's really it, isn't it? People are likely to pick up your game if it's not the same as all the others, and just because you've got this story and concept that you want to create into the game doesn't mean you should slap the blandest possible battle system on top and ship it out. You can, of course, but that's some really disproportionate design you have there. Games like Bravely Default, Undertale, Resonance of Fate, any Mario RPG, and hell, even Pokemon and Final Fantasy VII understand this, and they as games are just made better for it.
Very, very true. Especially agreed with everything you said about Undertale.

It can work well both ways, tbh. If a game takes turn based approach, Undertale or stuff like Persona shows how it is done the right way in my opinion.

If you gotta go the action route and still maintain your rpg roots, you can always take the "Tales of Zestiria" route. Now that game had a great combat system with a lot of depth which felt like you're playing an full-fledged action game BUT still had all the underlying RPG aspects intact what with the whole arte system, weapon fusion, skill building, stat management and whatnot.

It had its issues, obviously. Namely, everything being too overwhelming for a beginner. And instructions not being very clear. YES, I LOOKED AT THE IN-GAME LIBRARY TOO! - saying that before anyone points that out. Looking at it helps but not a whole lot. Still, a very fun combat experience that felt really intuitive and a blast to play. I wish more games took a page from its book, tbh.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
If you gotta go the action route and still maintain your rpg roots, you can always take the "Tales of Zestiria" route. Now that game had a great combat system with a lot of depth which felt like you're playing an full-fledged action game BUT still had all the underlying RPG aspects intact what with the whole arte system, weapon fusion, skill building, stat management and whatnot.

It had its issues, obviously. Namely, everything being too overwhelming for a beginner. And instructions not being very clear. YES, I LOOKED AT THE IN-GAME LIBRARY TOO! - saying that before anyone points that out. Looking at it helps but not a whole lot. Still, a very fun combat experience that felt really intuitive and a blast to play. I wish more games took a page from its book, tbh.
I...personally have yet to play through much of any Tales game. I've played the first hour of Symphonia several times, a good amount of Innocence, and part of the demo for Vesperia and the first 20ish minutes of Xillia. What's funny is that these are some of the more beloved ARPG- well, it's one of the most beloved ARPG franchises, and I just cannot seem to get into it. I'd like to, though, but- and I'm not sure if this is representative of all of them-there's a certain clunkiness that I felt in...I believe Symphonia. I should try to jump back into it one of these days. Hell, I own Symphonia and Xillia, so it'd kinda be a waste not to. I do think they are good examples of ARPGs, though.

But I think there are plenty of ways to go about it. Square Enix is a little too adept at this, I'd say. Genre-shifting is like their bread and butter. Final Fantasy XIII originally used a system similar to ATB, but Lightning Returns, without changing the battle system particularly much just played with the principles and turned it into a fun-as-hell Action RPG. But it's still the original Turn-Based system. Kingdom Hearts takes this in spades, with a battle system that is the skeleton of a super-flighty Action game (seriously, that game feels almost too light) and is layered with Final Fantasy. Type-0's easily my favorite ARPG of theirs due to the cast having incredibly varied playstyles and it just feeling really damn good. Also, Dissidia. C'mon.

So I trust them this much. They know what they're doing in the ARPG field and they have quite the track record as far as mechanics and game feel are concerned.

derozio

Years
I don't know about other Tales games, macho. Since I haven't played any of those. Zestiria, although not as beloved as the other Tales games as far as the story or characters goes, is still regarded as a welcome change from the style of gameplay most Tales games have had before it. It's the latest one. I believe its probably quite a bit different than your average Tales game since the combat depth, I found, was staggering - you could play it pretty much however you want since it worked as both a buttonmashy action game and also as one where you could really plan stuff - and felt really good. And this is coming from a hardcore back n slash fan (a huge dmc, mgr:rising etc fan). The other aspects of the game aren't as appealing but the combat is top notch. I think the other Tales games are probably much better in other aspects but combat probably is superior in Zestiria. So give this game a shot if you can. Or try the demo if its available. Just to check the combat out at least. :p

derozio

Years
It seems like it has seen some rather positive reviews. And, from a glance, it looks the like "Mixed" reviews are only mixed because they're not fond of the fact that the series has seen incremental changes rather than evolutionary, if not revolutionary, changes throughout its life and 5 is more of the same.

I haven't played the game so take my opinion with a pinch of salt, obviously, but it seems like it really is a good pickup for someone who has enjoyed the previous games. In fact, people are calling it the most polished gameplay experience the series has to offer. Which sounds pretty darn nice. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back